-
AuthorContent
scubadoobie
Chicago, IL

August 20, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #5442305

Hi -

I have a quick question - sorry if it is kind of silly. I have been doing outdoor composting and am happy to report that my trash can with holes in it has plenty of the worms I bought and they appear to be disposing of our kitchen scraps very nicely! (as you can tell, I'm doing cooler composting, more vermicomposting really)

I'm liking this so much that I would like to try indoor vermicomposting during our Chicago winter and just have a traditional hot pile next summer (I would feel bad just cooking the little worms by heating up the pile at this point).

Are there any problems I should anticipate using some of these worms and material to start an indoor vermicomposter? I didn't know if, for example, there might be a lot of fly eggs or other pests in the outdoor bin that could cause an infestation. If need be, I'd rather start out fresh but if it is OK, I could sift out some of the worms and go for it when the weather cools down . Thanks!
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2008
1:34 PM

Post #5460578

Check the vermicomposting thread. Loaded with lots of great information and directions for building your worm beds for indoor use.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America