Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Gingers: Anyone have this ginger and has it bloom?

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 21, Views: 384
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2008
7:55 PM

Post #5442730

I purchased this ginger plant about 4 years ago - supposed to have pinkish blooms, I think. It has done beautifully vegetatively over the years, and multiply like crazy. But nary a bloom. Anyone know the name of this one? It does have variegated leaves so that may help with the ID. I have H. coronarium and H. gardnerianum growing nearby and they bloom fine.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 20, 2008
9:47 PM

Post #5443237

Neat just to look at it looks like shampoo at first glance have no idea but neat!
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2008
5:43 AM

Post #5445434

Hedychium 'Dr. Moy'

the blooms are as you describe and appear late in the summer/early fall here
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2008
6:09 AM

Post #5445475

So, anyone has any suggestions on how to get it to bloom? I know that it is still early in the season, but if there is anything that I can do to encourage blooms, (I would be happy with just ONE), I would love to hear. Or does it take a few years for the Dr. Moy's to bloom? Thanks Tropicanna - that name does sound familiar now. I don't as a rule fertilize much - maybe once every year or so if I remember. Do they like a high phosphate fertilizer like most other flowering plants? I have split the plants several times since it was mutlitplying like crazy, and have it in two other spots, but still no blooms there. I have a gorgeous H. gardnerianum blooming next to the Dr. Moy, which I would assume like the same kind of environment.
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2008
12:01 PM

Post #5445881

here is a thread on gingers blooming :
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/780320/

in my limited experience, morning sun and filtered sun/afternoon shade are what hedychiums really want for blooms. There are also several threads on what to feed them on this forum, I use organic fertilizers, so a mix of bone meal (phosphorus-rich), wood ash (for potassium), and plant-tone (a mild all-around fert) is what I use, but I doubt few people would go that route. but yes, you do want something that has more phosphorus and potassium than nitrogen for blooms.

I suspect that since you divided your Dr. Moy this year that may prevent it from blooming, but I can't be sure of that, I've had mine for 2 years, no blooms yet but I moved some to a better morning sun position so hopefully next year at least :)
GSkinner
Lucedale, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2008
12:33 PM

Post #5445975

I've recently moved but I had my "Dr.Moy" in full sun all day. I'm in the lower part of zone 8b. I had to water it like crazy during the summer months but I always got blooms even with very little fertilizer. So in my experience lots of sunshine and water. If they don't get enough water the leaves will start to burn. My mother and MIL both have theirs in full sun as well and they both get blooms on every stalk. Moving this particular ginger doesn't even bother the blooming. I recieved my start as a two foot stalk. I didn't cut it back. I planted it and watered everyday, kept the soil wet and my start bloomed. So water, water, water!!!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2008
4:15 PM

Post #5447114

howdy neighbor. Donna waves at GSkinner from below lol
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2008
5:00 PM

Post #5447392

Tropicana - thanks for the link and great information.

GSkinner - I have to admit that I have not watered that particular area of ginger that much since the bottom half is pretty much in the shade (the ginger is located between a fence and a brick planter). I'll give that a try. The sun is not too bright there as the leaves are not burnt. The stalks are over 5 feet tall, and I do have one patch that I have not disturbed for about 3 years. I dig out the stalks on the edges because it multiples so fast and doubles in size every year. Now, if only they will channel some of that energy to blooms LoL.
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2008
3:48 PM

Post #5533867

Mine did nothing until I put it in full sun here. It blooms within a few months in the new location. It is currently being shaded by a white beauty berry I need to cut back because it is bending over backwards to reach the sun and hasn't bloomed this year yet.
GSkinner
Lucedale, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 11, 2008
1:52 PM

Post #5537998

I took this picture of my MIL's Labor Day weekend. She lives an hour north of New Orleans. I looked at my mothers the other day and hers has been blooming for quite a while now. Today I walked down the hill to try and find a bed I planted last fall and I have one I planted and its about to bloom. We built a now house and that bed was almost completely covered in weeds and morning glories taller than me. It was a little scary trekking down there to it (snakes). All I could see was my banana plants growing out of the top of the weeds. It was a mess. I got it all cleaned, now I'll probably get some burned leaves but I'll get to see the blooms hopefully. Since the ginger hasn't had any attention or extra water it's not near as tall as it should be but it still has some buds. I'll go get a picture of it in a minute. Here's MIL ginger.

Thumbnail by GSkinner

GSkinner
Lucedale, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 11, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #5538068

This is mine. I haven't been able to do anything with the horrible looking yard because I've been working on the house so much. It's so embarrassing.

Thumbnail by GSkinner

GSkinner
Lucedale, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 11, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #5538093

Up close of the ginger and it's buds.

I'm further south than my mother and MIL. I guess it was getting to much shade and that's why my blooms are coming after theirs.

Soilsandup I think yours should have bloomed already. Their is still plenty of heat and sunshine left so maybe you'll be able to get it to bloom. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Thumbnail by GSkinner

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2008
5:05 PM

Post #5543068

Gskinner - I left home on an extended vacation on August 28th. I am hoping that when I get back home on September 28th, I will see some blooms. Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed for me.

And don't worry about the state of your yard - any garden is a nice garden.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2008
10:40 PM

Post #5738013

Well, I came back from vacation at the end of September. No sign of any bloom. Now here we are at the end of October and here is what the plant looks like. So, guess there will be no bloom yet again for another year. I will replant some in full sun next year and see what happens. They grow so fast in their present location that I have plenty to dig out.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

Redtootsiepop
Livermore, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 1, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #5740910

Well they are certainly pretty - even without the bloom... let us know how it likes the sunshine.
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 2, 2008
12:58 PM

Post #5743009

Mine is in full sun and does not reproduce as well but blooms every year.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #5855956

I was wandering around my garden a couple of days ago and look what I found!!!! A bud on the Dr. Moy. Keeping my fingers crossed that we will not have frost until it gets the chance to open. Does it open in cold weather???

Thumbnail by soilsandup

budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #5855971

Congrats! Is it getting more sun now?
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2008
7:12 AM

Post #5857163

Hi Budgielover - it is probably a matter of us having a mild fall, and it is finally getting a bud right now. Normally, we would get some close to freezing temperatures and the tips of the plants get distressed and consequently, no buds are formed.. So, the solution is to move the ginger next year to a sunnier location so that it will form the flower buds earlier. But, it is good to know that my plants ARE capable of budding.
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2008
9:15 AM

Post #5857225

Just wait. You will love the scent.
GSkinner
Lucedale, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #5866219

Whew hew! That's great news!
Congratulations!
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #5877569

Congratulation on your bloom. Very exciting!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America