Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Pears and How To Grow Them: know your pears

Communities > Forums > Article: Pears and How To Grow Them
bookmark
Forum: Article: Pears and How To Grow ThemReplies: 5, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pejiduta8
Denver, CO
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2008
8:09 PM

Post #5442817

I was under the impression that pear trees don't last all that long, but then again, I have had zero experience with them. In the subdivision next to mine, the contractor planted pear trees in nearly every yard. But almost all of the trees eventually split down the middle and had to be removed. My friend was one of the last to succumb to this tragedy, having to yank out her tree last year. Do you know what the problem is that causes the trunks to split in half? Maybe the trees were the non-fruiting el-crappo ones you say should be avoided?
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #5442981

They are the non-fruiting ones. The real fruit trees are very long lived and do not look perfect and round.
jazzzy704
Fenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2008
3:09 PM

Post #5465263

pejiduta8,
The pear trees that split are the landscape non fruiting version. The problem is that they have VERY heavy branching and unless a knowledgeable pruning is done at regular intervals the top gets too heavy and the tree can not support the weight of the branching. We see here in Michigan subdivisions full of these beautiful pear trees and i know they are one storm or strong wind away from death!!
PS does anyone have any variety preferences? Do you need 2 different varieties?
Julie
pejiduta8
Denver, CO
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2008
2:08 PM

Post #5473913

Thanks for the replies. Now I am better informed and that's always a good thing!
GardenWhisperer
Barnegat, NJ

September 8, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #5522320

How do you know when to pick the pears? Do you do it while they are still firm? Think mine are Barlett or something similar. After you pick them do you put them in a brown bag to ripen like tomatoes or just sit them on the counter? This is first year I've gotten pears. I had to pick them because Hanna would have knocked them off...it did knock off the 4 I left on the tree...good thing I picked the others. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5524742

I sent you a dmail !

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Pears and How To Grow Them Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks! Mind easier brigidlily 0 Aug 19, 2008 3:33 PM
THE PEAR TREES docgipe 1 Aug 25, 2008 4:11 PM
Hey Mitch; nice one! Aunt_A 5 Aug 23, 2008 2:02 PM
My Gnarley Pears mariposagarden 0 Aug 25, 2008 1:55 PM
Thank You paulineristeau 1 Aug 26, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America