Photo by Melody

Daylilies: How to make Daylily flower bed ?

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 40, Views: 499
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
flowerpower57

August 21, 2008
2:48 AM

Post #5444805

How do I make a large bed and keep the weeds out but let the dayliles multiply ?

tazzy
Sand Springs, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2008
3:26 AM

Post #5444996

which came first the chicken or the egg ?
weeds are always with us LOL
you can mulch use preen ,weed killer and pull by hand ,
but there will always be more weeds " dang it"
weeds are eternal, unstoppable
old gardener here ,wishing it was not so
aggiegrl
Lufkin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2008
5:12 AM

Post #5445388

well, i just moved a bunch of dls. we made large, raised beds using treated lumber, 10 inches high x 12 ft long x 5 ft wide. the beds were filled with good landscaping mix soil with mushroom compost. after planting, i have been hand weeding and i just put down some miracle grow fertilizer with weed stop. i think it has something that keeps seeds from germinating. so far, so good. the dls seem to be doing well, for the most part, especially after this nice rain we have gotten this week. oh, btw, did you get your box today? i hope everything arrived in good shape! plmk

tracie
LaLambchop
Chapin, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2008
12:43 PM

Post #5446019

I'm going to try a weed barrier fabric over the top of my raised beds this year. Bob Faulkner spoke at our club last year and that's what he does. He cuts a hole out for the plant and puts a couple inches on mulch over the fabric. I'd think one could do a less expensive version of this using several layers of newspaper.
jenepat
North Richland Hills, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2008
1:15 PM

Post #5446145

aggiegrl - I'm curious where you got your treated lumber and approx. how much it cost? we're about to start a raised lasagna bed about the same size as your new bed (maybe even bigger), and I'm trying to decide what to use for edging around the bed. it's also backing up to a fence, so it'd probably be a good idea for us to also put edging between the bed & fence to prevent wood rot...
aggiegrl
Lufkin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #5446641

i got the treated lumber at Lowe's, but i am sure any of those type of stores would have it. to make the bed, used 2 12ft boards and 1 10ft board that we cut in half. i think for each bed it was about $30 in lumber.

tracie
jenepat
North Richland Hills, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2008
3:18 PM

Post #5446762

Thanks for the info Tracie!
sandykillen
Killen, AL

August 21, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #5446850

I started redoing my flower beds had the ground cover on them when we purchased our home. About the only thing the seem to grow well was weeds and poison ivy. Perennials and shrubs didn't grow well or expand. I read several articles on using paper as ground cover and started doing it this year. We removed the plastic and in some cases woven material. Then added worm compost, soil, etc. to the beds. I then placed paper all over the bed, wet it well and put shredded cypress mulch over the top. Planted new plants in bed with existing plants and shrubs. Within a week or so you can lift the paper and see the dead weeds. This has almost eliminated weeds in the beds. Although it called for more layers of paper I only used two. The bulbs that were there have come through but not the weeds. According to what I read the paper and mulch degrade over the winter and you can do it again next spring. Got paper from local new paper in rolls for free. When they run paper for printing, they don't run all of a roll and they throw away the unused portions.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2008
3:42 PM

Post #5446887

Weeds will be around when I am long gone! One word of advise, on your new bed do not make them so wide that they are difficult to hand weed. I have made this mistake in the past. Now I hate stepping over and compacting the soil to get to a bad weed!
My new beds are no more than 6ft wide.

Leslie, I have used the landscape fabric,it is good if it is not around plants that will be dug in several years. It is very difficult to dig if not impossible to get a shovel thru it.
spunky1
Lillian, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #5447735

All my hib beds are made of treated 2X10s 8 foot long. I buy 8 foot long lumber because when you get above that length the price really increases. They are boxes above the ground suported by concrete blocks or treared 4X4s. The boxes range from 12 to 20 foot long,all are 4 foot wide. They are filled with pinebark and sand with lime and ferlitzer added. You have very few weeds within the boxes so that is not a problem. The seedling beds that are in the ground have pinebark added at about 4 inches to each bed. This creates a raised bed, then the lime and ferlitzer are added. For weed control I use Snapshot or Preen every three months.

Thumbnail by spunky1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mosbyone
Fredericksburg, VA

August 21, 2008
6:20 PM

Post #5447812

Thats a nice setup Fred.
flowerpower57

August 22, 2008
1:59 AM

Post #5449723

Spunky what is Snapshot and Preen ? I tilled about 200 feet today for flower beds, on some I will use landscape fabric but would like another option for my bulbs . I already have one dl bed and the weeds have been a pain in the behind . But hey when you have been bitten by the bug "what cha goin to du "

bs . I already have one dl bed and the weeds have been out of control .
tazzy
Sand Springs, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2008
3:19 AM

Post #5450201

Cool set up
Fred
spunky1
Lillian, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2008
10:57 AM

Post #5451064

Snapshot and Preen keeps weed seed from germinating as long as you don't dig in the bed after applying. After planting you apply it to the bed and turn the sprinkler on until you have added about an inch of water. Be sure to follow the instructions on these products, you do not want to apply to much or to often. I get most of my products at the Farmers Co-op but have bought Preen at Lowes. There are other products that do the same thing if you can't find these brands.
LaLambchop
Chapin, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2008
11:59 AM

Post #5451186

Fred, I"m curious about the framing you have over your beds. Do you put up shade cloth part of the year? Also, are your beds raised from the ground because of tree roots?
babybluesntn
Hendersonville, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2008
12:54 PM

Post #5451342

Before you put down landscape fabric, you should read some of the threads on DG about the negatives of it!!

When we bought our property 3 yrs ago, there were no beds. We began making beds all around the deck area--our deck is 900 s.f. The previous owners had, at some point, put down the black landscape fabric. It is now covered over by at least 4" of dirt/decomposed mulch. It is a BEAR to get out...and you can't dig it up. You have to pull, and when its old like ours is, it just shreds. And it does NOT prevent weeds. In fact, the dreaded Bermuda grass that we have seems to grow better with landscape fabric on it!!

I have read that newspaper is good, and it decomposes. I didn't know, however, that you could buy it on rolls. Thanks for the tip, Sandy! I will never use landscape fabric again unless it is to line pathways that I'm going to cover with some kind of pavers.
Karen
LaLambchop
Chapin, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2008
12:57 PM

Post #5451365

Thanks Karen. Good to know! Looks like I will be sticking with newspapers.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2008
12:59 PM

Post #5451371

I agree with Teresa about not making beds so wide that you have trouble reaching in to weed. I've often removed a few plants to put down slate so I can get in but I don't have any big weed problems. IF I weed for an hour a week it's a lot. That's for 30 gardens.

I also agree 100% with Karen. Using that fabric within a garden is a nightmare: been there, done that.

The long needled Southern pine is my favorite for paths and for gardens, especially Japanese irises but it works very well with daylilies, hostas, etc.

This path, in a garden paralell to the lawn is planted with hundreds of daylilies near the lawn, has needles dropped by the pines and I don't have to add any but I do have to weed it and Preen it every spring.

Thumbnail by pirl

babybluesntn
Hendersonville, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2008
1:02 PM

Post #5451389

So, Pirl, are you saying the way you keep out weeds is to use pine needles as mulch? If not, what are you using that you have to weed so very little?
LaLambchop
Chapin, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2008
1:03 PM

Post #5451396

Pirl,
That is gorgeous! Well done.

Leslie
DitchLily206
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2008
1:36 PM

Post #5451539

Pirl: That is pretty! I wish I had that much room.

On a different note, I am trying out a slightly different use for some landscaping fabric I have. I planted some ditch lilies in the back of one of my beds when I first started growing them (all of three years ago). This was before I knew that they could be so invasive. Since I do not want to have to rip them up or round-up them, I am trying a slightly different approach.

I dug a trench about 8-10" deep, lined it with a doubled layer of the fabric and filled it in. The idea is to form a vertical barrier to those pesky traveling roots. I got the idea from one of the TV landscaping shows where they did this with a much heavier material to contain some newly planted bamboo. We shall see if this works.

Has anyone else ever tried this? If so, how did it work?

Here are the ditch lilies.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2008 7:41 AM

Thumbnail by DitchLily206

DitchLily206
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #5451543

Here is a new shot with the fabric.

DitchLily206
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #5451548

A different one.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2008
2:08 PM

Post #5451697

Karen - I use a lot of pine needles and I plant quite intensely so the weeds don't get a chance to grow. The photo shows a small sample of the intensity.

Thanks, Leslie. When we bought this house 17 years ago those pine boughs hit the ground. Little by little we had limbs removed for "just a few more plants".

Good luck, DitchLily! They are one tough plant to eradicate. I'm sure their roots spread far and wide and lurk there until we're sure we've got them all out and then they leap up when we're not expecting them. This year it happened, again, in one spot - those roots must have traveled 4 to 5' to pop up where they did.

Thumbnail by pirl

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #5451921

Hi, Pirl
A beautiful bed! What is the ground cover that is in the front? It has pink/green leaves. I haven't seen it sold around here.

I have one bed of oldies that I just let grow and grow so they will be so thick that grass has a hard time growing :)

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2008
3:03 PM

Post #5451961

Here is a large bed that is much to wide, flowerpower. I love it in full bloom but it is difficult to weed. The red one is still blooming along with a few other today. It is a Rice cultivar CAUGHT RED HANDED.

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #5452273

Growing them for our own pleasure, nice and tight, really won't allow for weeds as you showed. That Caught Red Handed is a gem.

That groundcover is NOT a gem. I did it to myself: Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon'. It spreads too fast, is way too invasive but matches all daylilies so well that now I have a truce with it. I just can't ever trade or even give away a plant from the whole area with that weed for fear it will spread for someone else.

Thumbnail by pirl

figaro52
Oak Lawn, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2008
5:40 PM

Post #5452820

Pirl,

Re: the Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon' -- I did it too! Ultra invasive -- pretty leaves, but it stinks! Wear heavy gloves if you try to pull it! Amazing how it can travel from one end of the garden to another. I'll take a ditch lily any day!

BTW, Pirl your daylilies are beautiful!
tlcgarden
Bentonia, MS

August 22, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #5453013

pirl and bluegrassmom - your gardens inspire me so much i just hope one day my gardens can look half as good as yalls.

thank you everyone being a newbie threads like this help so much since i just started in feb 08 i am just learning what to expect.

all the blooms look so wonderful. congrats to you all. tina
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2008
7:04 PM

Post #5453181

figaro - thank you.

It's always good to know I'm not the only one who fell for those lovely colored leaves! Victorgardener from the Northeast forum also did the exact same thing. There should be a mandatory form advising about how invasive it is, which has to be signed before that plant can be sold, at least around here. The one pot I bought has taken over 40' x 5' so far.

I've dug down 2' and the roots go deeper than that. If you pull it out (and the smell is reminiscent of the beans scene in "Blazing Saddles" - phew!) you're technically "breaking the apical dominance", which means you'll get two coming up instead of one so it's a waste of time since you'll still get double the amount you had before you yanked them.

Tina - most of us started out slowly and worked up to wherever we are now. Gardening is a step by step process and we all learn as we go.
figaro52
Oak Lawn, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #5453268

I've pulled so much of that Chameleon but never seem to get any roots. I'm sure it's competing with the earthworms for space. LOL!

Like a fool, back in 2005 when I created a new island bed -- I just had to move the "lovely" Chameleon plant to the new bed. BIG MISTAKE. I've got it growing in 2 areas now! Talk about proliferation!
figaro52
Oak Lawn, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2008
7:40 PM

Post #5453282

Tina, you are very lucky to have found Dave's Garden so early in your gardening adventure.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2008
10:37 PM

Post #5454015

Thanks, Tina for the nice compliments. Everyone starts small, and then it can become quite addictive to some of us. I just love a beautiful bloom! I grow several different perennials not only daylilies.

Gardening, to me helps me feel close to nature, and my Lord. It is a blessing to be the caretaker of such wonderful plants. I am always learning something new. DG is a great place, with very helpful people. Many are willing to share their knowledge that may have taken them a lifetime to earn.
Good Luck with your new hobby,
Teresa
tlcgarden
Bentonia, MS

August 22, 2008
11:40 PM

Post #5454219

i am so very lucky to have found dg when i did. i have made so truly special friends. every time i have a question i know that someone here will have the answer to help me. this is a wonderful place with wonderful people. i too feel very blessed i have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis and i am using dls as my therapy for the disease. it has helped me greatly health wise and spiritually aswell. i have my own little sanctuary to where i can be close to nature and to God. i can pray, cry, laugh and its just God, myself and nature. my husband is the caretaker for 1000 acre hunting camp so there are no people for miles. so when i say i am alone i really mean it. through gardening i have found not only am i healthier but i am happier too. cause when you talk to the flowers and little critters in the woods they do not talk back. and bluegrassmom you are so right i am a daylily addict. thank you so much for you kind comments. i am sure i will be asking more questions as time goes by. tina
tazzy
Sand Springs, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2008
12:54 AM

Post #5454500

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear, falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses

And He walks with me
And He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known

He speaks and the sound of His voice
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing

And He walks with me
And He talks with me

I'd stay in the garden with Him
'Tho the night around me be falling
But He bids me go; through the voice of woe
His voice to me is calling

And He walks with me
And He talks with me

Thumbnail by tazzy

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2008
1:00 AM

Post #5454526

Don't put fabric down!!!! We believed all those gardening shows and put in in last year since all beds were new. BIG MISTAKE!!!! Spent this summer ripping it all out.

Only use that stuff where you plan to never dig.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #5454567

We still sing that one at worship services. What is that dl in the pic?
tlcgarden
Bentonia, MS

August 23, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #5454804

amen tazzy amen
tazzy
Sand Springs, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2008
3:03 AM

Post #5455130

Jolly Red Giant
spunky1
Lillian, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2008
12:03 PM

Post #5456071

The answer to both of you questions LaLambchop is yes.
babybluesntn
Hendersonville, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #5456509

Amen Tazzy and Bluegrassmom!!! Can't wait to get to heaven and see THE garden of all gardens!!!!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America