Photo by Melody

Article: Green bean soup: a summer delight that cooks in a snap: Pole Beans & interesting varieties

Communities > Forums > Article: Green bean soup: a summer delight that cooks in a snap
bookmark
Forum: Article: Green bean soup: a summer delight that cooks in a snapReplies: 1, Views: 12
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tesaje
Jefferson, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #5447893

Nice article but no mention of pole beans and how easy they are to grow while taking up a small space, not to mention how ornamental they are. Also, the asparagus or yard-long type of snap beans are great. Easy to grow and very productive. Also very tasty. I've grown the mosaic, red noodle and an unknown green variety of asparagus beans - all are great. I like the red noodle a lot and the mystery green (showed up in the red noodle seeds) taste like fresh peas! you get a lot of beans from the asparagus beans as they are so long (up to 27" so far)

I've been making some great salads with them along with my heirloom tomatoes and cukes.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2008
8:05 PM

Post #5448198

You're right! Whether you grow bush beans or pole beans, you can find some wonderful stringless "snap" varieties. For that matter, "stringing" beans isn't that big a chore, and some of the older varieties that have the "string" also seem to have extra wonderful flavor.

I grew asparagus and red noodle beans a couple years ago... we ate them in stir-fry, where we could put strongly flavored sauce on them. Maybe I wasn't picking them at a young enough stage... they had a musky flavor that we didn't especially love. From your description, I'm tempted to try them again. They were definitely productive!

I've got some pretty runner beans blooming now, and the hummingbirds are enjoying them. I think they're 'Painted Lady' (red blooms), although I'll have to check to be sure.

Thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Green bean soup: a summer delight that cooks in a snap Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I am trying this recipe tonight carolmo 1 Aug 12, 2008 9:49 PM
good article phicks 2 Aug 12, 2008 9:46 PM
YA TAUGHT ME AGAIN docgipe 3 Aug 22, 2008 12:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America