Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

August Daily Weather Summer is being blown away!

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Please come by often with your Weather and Pictures.
76.5 F / 24.7 C
Rain Mist
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 76 F / 25 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 29.53 in / 999.9 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 76 F / 25 C
Visibility: 1.0 miles / 1.6 kilometers
UV: 0.0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 700 ft / 213 m
Mostly Cloudy 1300 ft / 396 m
Overcast 2000 ft / 609 m
(Above Ground Level
We've had 2" in 2 hours.
Pheadra's Clemantis.

Thumbnail by sugarweed
(Zone 5a)

74* and cloudy. 4/10'' must be the official total of rain since it quit this afternoon.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

A little hotter today than they said it would be. Got to 80 and was only supposed to be in low 70s. Oh well. It misted some this morning, just enough to make all the dirt on the roads slick and to kill the dust for a day.

Oh, for those of you who don't know PG is Powell Gardens. www.powellgardens.org

This message was edited Aug 21, 2008 7:47 PM

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney - That is a beautiful start picture! Hope you are doing well!

Well, we are soggy to say the least. Still getting winds 30-40mph. Last nights winds were 50-60mph. It's DysonDark so I can't say anything about damage. The rainmeter is spilling over, so I'm assuming we're around 10-12". The pets want to go out and play. They are looking at us with sad eyes LOL! WX says it will be like this through the morning. Haven't heard about work so I got up and started my normal work day routine. I'll drive the beast truck to work as my car is way to cute to take on a day like this LOL!

75 F / 24 C
Heavy Rain Mist
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 73 F / 23 C
Wind: 29 mph / 46 km/h / 12.9 m/s from the East
Wind Gust: 41 mph / 67 km/h / 18.5 m/s
Pressure: 29.60 in / 1002 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 2.0 miles / 3.2 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 800 ft / 243 m
Overcast 1800 ft / 548 m

Tropical Storm Wind Warning in effect until 4 PM EDT Friday...
Flood Watch in effect through late Friday night...
Tropical Storm Warning in effect...

Friday
Tropical storm conditions expected. Showers and isolated thunderstorms. Locally heavy rainfall possible. High 81. Southeast winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts to around 40 mph. Chance of rain near 100%.

81* at this time of year is unheard of

(Zone 5a)

Good morning! :-)

It's a wet one here today although not as wet as in Florida! Looks pretty calm and currently 13C (56F).

Sharon and Sidney - hope Fay blows over soon. Judging from your photos Sharon it looks pretty nasty. That's some serious rain. Had to chuckle at Silvester ;-) lol Sorry about the fatality - there's always someone who has to be foolish .......... hope the worst is over now.

Billyporter - sorry about the ash, such a shame. So nice to see you drop by :-)

Kiska - that's a pretty steep slope! Neat photo :-) Beautiful scenery.

tazzy - welcome :-) Very cute kitties :-) Glad to August has been pleasant in your parts of the country :-)

Joey - eeeewwwwwww. I've never smelled a skunk but I hear it's awful ....... hope you manage to get Jack clean. Nice shot of the New River :-)

Celia - your photos from your Oregon trip make me want to go there ;-) The coast is just beautiful.

We're off in a bit to Selma's school to get her schedule and meet her teacher. She has the same teacher as last year, which is great :-) No adjustments except for a new classroom :-) Still can't believe she's already a 5th grader .......

More from our trip: When we arrived in Hsafell (around 6 pm) we went to the pool there for a dip. It was really nice after the bumpy car ride. The girls had to check out the playground first though.

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Mornin'! I still haven't taken care of the therm-o-meter, so no accurate reading here. The sun is out, I do know. :) But the poochie is much better. I think that I missed a spot, tho. He still has a little "stink" left, but it can be easily tolerated. I hope that he has learned his lesson! :D
At Dublin...
Clear: 61F
Feels like: 61F
Barometer: 30.4 in
Dewpoint: 59
Humidity: 94%
Visibility: 7 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:45 AM
Sunset: 8:05 PM
UV Index: 0 Low
Today Hi: 83
Lo: 61

Sharon, Glad to hear that you are still hangin in there! Seems rather cool... LOL about your car being too pretty! I agree! :D ! Your pic w/the rain coming off the house says a lot!Have you heard from Sidney?
Sidney, (if you have "juice") I hope you are OK!!! & I love your Clematis!
Pepper, PG seems really neat! Thanks for the link I may need to explore it a little more. :)
Sally, LOL! Yes I guess we were both missing in action! :D
Kiska, Love that pic! Looks very similar to one of Rann's. :)
Adina, Those Romanian Poppies are Gorgeous!
Thanks Rann, There are no words to describe the smell...other than it will take your breath away! Try to imagine the stinkiest smell you can...then imagine a smell that is worse! & there you go! :) George took him for a walk (to the creek) & couldn't hardly stand it! (OutSide!) I was WAY Back behind! ! That playground looks pretty neat! Is that "thingie" like a trampoline?

I'll be back later w/ the trivia answer.

Have a great day!
Joey

You name it ! I got it! LOL (anybody want any "spiders"?)

Thumbnail by music2keep

Rann Want some rain?! I believe we have made it out of the drought conditions that have plagued us for the last couple of years. What is that thing the girls are walking on?
Joey I may need a few spiders if all this rain kills mine. We have a huge frog in the house this morning! Boo kept looking at something by the back door. She had cornered this frog and didnt know what to do with it. I scooped it up and put it back outside. It's not really cool outside, the humidity is pretty high, so we're nostly muggy

Since I didn't get a call to not go to work I went. Got there, no power, was sent back home. Points for 3 of us that bothered to show up!

I took some pictures. I saw several power lines brought down by tree limbs, lots of tree debris in the roads, ambulances, rescue trucks, power trucks and a mail truck! What's that saying, "through rain, sleet snow....

Round 3 is coming through now.

76.3 F / 24.6 C
Rain Fog
Humidity: 89%
Wind: 4.8 mph / 7 km/hfrom the WSW
Wind Gust: 12.2 mph / 19 km/h
Pressure: 29.77 in / 1008.0 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 77 F / 25 C
Visibility: 0.5 miles / 0.8 kilometers
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 600 ft / 182 m
Mostly Cloudy 1100 ft / 335 m
Overcast 1500 ft / 457 m

Here is the ocean - seas are stil 10-16'

Thumbnail by MySharona

The sea oats are almost laying flat

Thumbnail by MySharona

Blurry - but this is the parking lot at work

Thumbnail by MySharona

This is what the roads look like

Thumbnail by MySharona

Palm trees or what is left of them

Thumbnail by MySharona
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

OMG, Sharon,thanks for the great pics... they have a lot to clean out! You are so brave to go to work on such a storm...I;m relieved you made it safe back home! Poor Sylvester, breaks my heart, seems so sad! How is Prissy doing ? Does she want to go outside? I'm thinking of you and all Floridian friends and praying to be safe.
Sidney, gorgeous clematis ! I'm glad things aren't as bad in your place and you are OK.
Joey, phuu, I can only imagine how bad that smell was! I guess you have it alright, beautiful spiders and the rest too! I loved seeing again the river, great picture, I felt like I was there!
Sally, sorry for your ash tree, I hope it didn't do any damage ! I have to plant my irises too.
Tazzy and LeeFlea, welcome from me too, I'm anxious to find out more of your place! Tazzy love those cats, so lazy!LOL
Kiska, wow, how up you climbed ! Great picture!
Rann, your pictures are more beautiful everytime! Loved that one with the girls on that wing or ...what was it? Interesting story about the volcano!
Celia, great pics of the coleus ... cool color and of Oregon .
Pepper, thanks for the link, it's great!
It's full summer here, very hot, still 100 and no rain or wind. I have to water everyday or twice a day. DD is here with BF for a short visit and we are having lots of fun...and feeling much safer!
Although we have Gavrila inside the yard and he started to feel it's his home too. I jusat let him out for a while twice or 3 times a day, for doing his busines, then he comes to the gate.Sometimes, we have another visitor, who makes very hard my choice of whom , of the puppies I'll choose to keep?LOL
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 5a)

Wow, great photos Sharon - looks like it's been quite a storm.

Iceland just won Spain in the semi-final in the handball competition of the Olympics which means we'll be playing in the FINAL against France!!!!! Needless to say the whole nation is ecstatic - lots of celebrating going on today :-D Iceland has only won 3 metals on Olympics EVER (1 silver, 2 bronze) so this is a really, really big deal here! lol :-) So happy for the team, they really deserve it.

The "thingy" the girls are jumping on is a trampoline kind of thing ....... had to blow off some steam after sitting in the car for 2 hours ;-) lol

Here's a closer look :

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

This pretty pond was on the nearby golf course. We went to check it out while the girls jumped to their heart's delight on the trampoline.

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 7a)

Oh, gosh, everyone! LOL You make it so hard to catch up. ☺

Thanks for the compliments on the pics.

Gavrila is such a cutie and that pup is the very image of daddy.

Sharon, I know you weren't putting yourself in danger for those pics...but my GOSH!!! I got caught in our tornado of 1999 and that was bad enough! LOL

Rann, the girls look like they're having a wonderful summer. Is air under the thingy?

Joey, Skunk stink is no fun. Yuck!!!

70F with 89 for later.
Feels like: 70F

Barometer: 30.1 in ↓
Dewpoint: 30
Humidity: 23%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 13 mph NW
Sunrise: 6:45 AM
Sunset: 8:14 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

Willamette River, OR.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 5a)

Celia - yes there's air under the trampoline thingy ;-) Nice photo :-) Getting caught in a tornado sounds horrible.

Joey - the skunk stink sounds horrid - glad you were able to get Jack clean :-)

The pond served as a reservoir for this small electric generator. Not sure where the hot water running into to the stream comes from, possibly run-off from the pool.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Sharon, 10 to 12 inches of rain? That just blows my mind. Sometimes we don't get that much in a whole. (Then again, in El Nino years, we might get that much in two weeks.) It looks like you had a bad case of the Santa Anas, with rain thrown in. Speaking of rain, I don't remember when we last had rain. I'm not even sure which month it was. When I first moved out here, it was an August and I asked someone at work when it had rained last. He wasn't sure, wasn't even certain of the month. I had a hard time getting my brain around that. Remember, I grew up in western PA during the little ice age of the 1970s. It rained at least once every three days.

Sidney, the clematis is gorgeous!

Leeflea, you like poppies? How's this? (Picture take quite a few years ago but it's a favorite of mine.)

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 7a)

Kelli, at the rate mine are going, they're going to look like that in a year or two! LOL Beautiful!!!

(Zone 5a)

Kelli - those poppies are beautiful! I didn't realise that the cold years of the 70's and 80's were a global thing ......... I just thought Iceland was that cold ;-) lol Didn't need to own shorts or shortsleeved shirts when I was growing up ;-) lol

After our dip in the pool it was close to 8 pm and we were getting pretty hungry. There was a restaurant close to the pool, where we'd planned to eat dinner, but we found out it closed at 6 pm ......... hmmmmmmmm, it was a 2 hour drive to the next town where we could possibly find a restaurant so we had to get going ;-) lol We couldn't pass by this pearl without stopping however. It's called Hraunfossar (Lava falls) - clear water that runs from out under the lava into Hvt (White River).

Thumbnail by rannveig

Yes, back in the '70s, there was a lot of talk by experts about us heading straight for another ice age. Of course that didn't happen, and thus I can't get too excited about global warming. Beautiful scenery in Iceland. It sounds like just the place to visit in the summer.

(Zone 5a)

If you want to get away from the heat, Iceland or Alaska are the places to go to ;-)

Just upstream from these Lava falls there is another waterfall in Hvt called Barnafoss (Children's falls). The name is derived from a folktale about two children, a brother and sister that crossed over a stone arch over the river just below the falls and fell in. According to the tale their mother had the arch broken down to prevent another accident.

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Hraunfossar seen from the other side of the rive. I have to say that after telling the girls the tale of the two children we all had a bit of an uneasy feeling crossing the bridge to the other side ........

Thumbnail by rannveig

A little less hot than usual.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on August 22, 2008
84 F / 29 C
Clear
Humidity: 41%
Dew Point: 58 F / 14 C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the ESE
Pressure: 29.83 in / 1010 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 84 F / 29 C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 11 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

I think this is the last "western" picture I have. Head 'em up, roll 'em out!

Thumbnail by Kelli
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Evening, all!
We've had 2 days of steady rain, thanks to TS Fay, but only some occasional gusty winds. So, pretty soggy, and humid, but downright cool in the mid 80s.
Sharon: I hope Fay's starts to move on out of there!

I am days behind, but am feeling much better, so I will try to keep up! :)
And if it stops pouring, I may get to take some pics, too.
Deb

Adina My boss didnt make any stay home calls, so I went. I would rather err on the side of the alpha female (my boss) than not show up! The winds were strong and there were some puddles that is really the reason I took the truck. Its much taller and easier to handle in the wind gusts. The pets were all going stir crazy (I was too). The winds have died down a little and the rain stopped for a while. We all went outside to survey damage. There really isnt any damage; its just messy with tree debris in the lawn. One guy on the next street over had a tree come down in his yard. Looked like it missed his house. Gavrila and son are so handsome!
Rann Its been a howling windy rainy storm. I like the bouncy thing - very cool! The lake is gorgeous!
Celia No no danger. I stayed up on the boardwalk when I went to the beach. The truck is so big everyone just gets out of the way when they see it coming! Beautiful Oregon pics!
Rann That looks like a very old building where the generator is located.
Kelli Yeah, lots of rain and some ponding, but not much. I saw an old retention pond that dired up several years ago. It has standing water in it again. That was a nice surprise. I think the last time you had rain was sometime in June, but dont hold me to that. Love the poppy field!
Rann The lava fields and White River are just beautiful! Such a sad story for such a beautiful place.
Kelli I never thought of California as desert region until your pictures. I always had this idea that it was lush and green. Arizona yeah, but not California!

77.5 F / 25 C
Rain Mist
Humidity: 86%
Wind: 4.3 mph / 6 km/hfrom the WSW
Wind Gust: 9.4 mph / 15 km/h
Pressure: 29.83 in / 1010.0 hPa(Rising)
Heat Index: 79 F / 26 C
Visibility: 2.0 miles / 3.2 kilometers
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 400 ft / 121 m
Overcast 2500 ft / 762 m

Wind Advisory in effect until 5 am EDT Saturday...
Flood Watch in effect through Saturday afternoon...
Tornado Watch 855 in effect until 6 PM EDT this afternoon...

Tonight
Very windy. Showers thunderstorms in the evening...then showers likely and slight chance of thunderstorms after midnight. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Low 76. East winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts to 50 mph this evening decreasing to 15 to 25 mph with gusts to 35 mph after midnight. Chance of rain near 100%.

It dos not take long for mosquitos to appear. DH went out earlier and blew down our driveway and sidewalk and then everyone elses in the cul-de-ac. He's so sweet.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Deb - Glad you are feeling better! Here is a Cardinal trying to eat LOL! Wheeeeeeeeee!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Downed tree

Thumbnail by MySharona

California has about a gazillion ecosystems. Some, like the redwood forests of the north coast are lush and green. At the other end of the spectrum, there's Death Valley. Technically, my area is not considered a desert since the average rainfall is over 10 inches a year (it's 16 inches). I looked on the calender and the last time we have recorded that it rained was in February, but I think we got a trace of rain one time after that. Let me tell you, it's the wierdest climate.

Mosquitoes, ugghh! They hunt me down like I'm filet mignon or something.

I guess I always thought that was due to our trips to Northern CA when I was young. I must have slept through the Southern parts! Me too on the skeeter front - one got me just above my left eye brow...grrrr

The southern CA desert can be a bit of a snooze in the summer.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Getting dark, still have not gotten the internet connection straightened out, missed a thread jump - will never catch up.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot and humid today. Temps in high 80s.

Giant Swallowtail

Thumbnail by pepper23
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helluu!! :D
Glad you are back Dyson! I know what you mean about missing an entire section...so sorry (snicker - been there, done that)
Rann, Your pics are Wonderful! :D Thanks! :D
Kelli, Now that is a bunch of Prickly Pear! - John Wayne, tonite. ;)
Sharon, Looks like a real mess! But I am thankful that it wasn't worse! I have plenty of spiders & babies comin'! :D That is rather funny about the frog! DH read (or saw) where some folks had gators & snakes floating in their yards! :-O
Celia, What a Gorgeous river pic! :D
Thanks Kiska, There was a boat w/ 2 people fishing & 2 more on down the river fishing, but the last 2 had waded out to the middle if the river & were on a stump. At normal water level you can't even see the stump.
Pepper! Another beauty! :D

The answer to the trivia is...D
Carol hit on August 30, 1954.

Good Nite, Y'all! :D
Joey

There's a monster on our deck! :-O

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

A Little closer....

Thumbnail by music2keep
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

EEK!!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

HI YA'LL, WAVING FROM TEXAS!!

Sidney called and asked me to check in for her. She has phone and electricity, but no cable or interent. plenty of food too, "enough to feed the entire block"...

everyone stay cool,
tf

(Zone 3b)

Just lost the longer version:)
62 and sunny tonight. Sunset at 9:33pm.
Way down below, barely visible from where we hiked, is the lodge on Hatcher Pass.

Thumbnail by kiska

Joey, that spider gives me the chills. What kind of spider is that? I remember one time there was a tarantula on the porch at my apartment. It was out there for a while and then it was gone. However, that didn't make it any better. I was thinking, "It's up on the ceiling waiting for me to come out so it can jump down and bite my face." I always assume that all spiders are going to bite if given the chance.

Here's a totally irrelevant picture from the archives. This is hail. I've never seen so much before or since.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Kelli, that's not hail - it's snow! LOL I've never seen hail that thick, either.

Hi, Tamara Faye!! Thanks for letting us know about Sidney. ^_^

I don't mind little spiders... outside... no where near me... and with plenty of warning. Big spiders, though... ewww... We're storing some furniture and a fish tank (with fish) for a friend who is between houses right now. She asked if we wanted to "store" her son's tarantula, too. She was just sure we'd be thrilled. Ummm... no. No big hairy poisonous creepy tarantulas. I wouldn't even let her bring it in the house. Double eek. (Her son named it "Fishy." LOL! I asked if any of the fish were named Spider, but apparently not.)

Your dh is very sweet, Sharon. :-) I'm glad you made it through the storm ok.

There's only a 20% chance of rain tomorrow, so the heat will be back. And the mosquitoes are very plentiful and extremely hungry after all of the rain we've had lately. Ick.

(Zone 7a)

So glad everyone is okay after the storm. Nice to know we'll still have you around.

What the heck kind of spider is that?!?!?!?!?! And are those babies or victims in the first shot?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.