Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Weather: August Daily Weather Summer is being blown away!

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 197, Views: 1,698
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2008
12:22 AM

Post #5449259

Please come by often with your Weather and Pictures.
76.5 F / 24.7 C
Rain Mist
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 76 F / 25 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 29.53 in / 999.9 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 76 F / 25 C
Visibility: 1.0 miles / 1.6 kilometers
UV: 0.0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 700 ft / 213 m
Mostly Cloudy 1300 ft / 396 m
Overcast 2000 ft / 609 m
(Above Ground Level
We've had 2" in 2 hours.
Pheadra's Clemantis.

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2008
12:28 AM

Post #5449307

74* and cloudy. 4/10'' must be the official total of rain since it quit this afternoon.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2008
12:46 AM

Post #5449412

A little hotter today than they said it would be. Got to 80 and was only supposed to be in low 70s. Oh well. It misted some this morning, just enough to make all the dirt on the roads slick and to kill the dust for a day.

Oh, for those of you who don't know PG is Powell Gardens. www.powellgardens.org

This message was edited Aug 21, 2008 7:47 PM
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2008
9:55 AM

Post #5450983

Sidney - That is a beautiful start picture! Hope you are doing well!

Well, we are soggy to say the least. Still getting winds 30-40mph. Last nights winds were 50-60mph. It's DysonDark so I can't say anything about damage. The rainmeter is spilling over, so I'm assuming we're around 10-12". The pets want to go out and play. They are looking at us with sad eyes LOL! WX says it will be like this through the morning. Haven't heard about work so I got up and started my normal work day routine. I'll drive the beast truck to work as my car is way to cute to take on a day like this LOL!

75 F / 24 C
Heavy Rain Mist
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 73 F / 23 C
Wind: 29 mph / 46 km/h / 12.9 m/s from the East
Wind Gust: 41 mph / 67 km/h / 18.5 m/s
Pressure: 29.60 in / 1002 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 2.0 miles / 3.2 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 800 ft / 243 m
Overcast 1800 ft / 548 m

Tropical Storm Wind Warning in effect until 4 PM EDT Friday...
Flood Watch in effect through late Friday night...
Tropical Storm Warning in effect...

Friday
Tropical storm conditions expected. Showers and isolated thunderstorms. Locally heavy rainfall possible. High 81. Southeast winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts to around 40 mph. Chance of rain near 100%.

81* at this time of year is unheard of
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2008
12:26 PM

Post #5451271

Good morning! :-)

It's a wet one here today although not as wet as in Florida! Looks pretty calm and currently 13C (56F).

Sharon and Sidney - hope Fay blows over soon. Judging from your photos Sharon it looks pretty nasty. That's some serious rain. Had to chuckle at Silvester ;-) lol Sorry about the fatality - there's always someone who has to be foolish ... hope the worst is over now.

Billyporter - sorry about the ash, such a shame. So nice to see you drop by :-)

Kiska - that's a pretty steep slope! Neat photo :-) Beautiful scenery.

tazzy - welcome :-) Very cute kitties :-) Glad to August has been pleasant in your parts of the country :-)

Joey - eeeewwwwwww. I've never smelled a skunk but I hear it's awful ... hope you manage to get Jack clean. Nice shot of the New River :-)

Celia - your photos from your Oregon trip make me want to go there ;-) The coast is just beautiful.

We're off in a bit to Selma's school to get her schedule and meet her teacher. She has the same teacher as last year, which is great :-) No adjustments except for a new classroom :-) Still can't believe she's already a 5th grader ...

More from our trip: When we arrived in Hsafell (around 6 pm) we went to the pool there for a dip. It was really nice after the bumpy car ride. The girls had to check out the playground first though.

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2008
12:40 PM

Post #5451299

Mornin'! I still haven't taken care of the therm-o-meter, so no accurate reading here. The sun is out, I do know. :) But the poochie is much better. I think that I missed a spot, tho. He still has a little "stink" left, but it can be easily tolerated. I hope that he has learned his lesson! :D
At Dublin...
Clear: 61F
Feels like: 61F
Barometer: 30.4 in
Dewpoint: 59
Visibility: 7 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:45 AM
Sunset: 8:05 PM
UV Index: 0 Low
Today Hi: 83
Lo: 61

Sharon, Glad to hear that you are still hangin in there! Seems rather cool... LOL about your car being too pretty! I agree! :D ! Your pic w/the rain coming off the house says a lot!Have you heard from Sidney?
Sidney, (if you have "juice") I hope you are OK!!! & I love your Clematis!
Pepper, PG seems really neat! Thanks for the link I may need to explore it a little more. :)
Sally, LOL! Yes I guess we were both missing in action! :D
Kiska, Love that pic! Looks very similar to one of Rann's. :)
Adina, Those Romanian Poppies are Gorgeous!
Thanks Rann, There are no words to describe the smell...other than it will take your breath away! Try to imagine the stinkiest smell you can...then imagine a smell that is worse! & there you go! :) George took him for a walk (to the creek) & couldn't hardly stand it! (OutSide!) I was WAY Back behind! ! That playground looks pretty neat! Is that "thingie" like a trampoline?

I'll be back later w/ the trivia answer.

Have a great day!
Joey

You name it ! I got it! LOL (anybody want any "spiders"?)

Thumbnail by music2keep

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #5451782

Rann Want some rain?! I believe we have made it out of the drought conditions that have plagued us for the last couple of years. What is that thing the girls are walking on?
Joey I may need a few spiders if all this rain kills mine. We have a huge frog in the house this morning! Boo kept looking at something by the back door. She had cornered this frog and didnt know what to do with it. I scooped it up and put it back outside. It's not really cool outside, the humidity is pretty high, so we're nostly muggy

Since I didn't get a call to not go to work I went. Got there, no power, was sent back home. Points for 3 of us that bothered to show up!

I took some pictures. I saw several power lines brought down by tree limbs, lots of tree debris in the roads, ambulances, rescue trucks, power trucks and a mail truck! What's that saying, "through rain, sleet snow...

Round 3 is coming through now.

76.3 F / 24.6 C
Rain Fog
Humidity: 89%
Wind: 4.8 mph / 7 km/hfrom the WSW
Wind Gust: 12.2 mph / 19 km/h
Pressure: 29.77 in / 1008.0 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 77 F / 25 C
Visibility: 0.5 miles / 0.8 kilometers
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 600 ft / 182 m
Mostly Cloudy 1100 ft / 335 m
Overcast 1500 ft / 457 m

Here is the ocean - seas are stil 10-16'

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #5451790

The sea oats are almost laying flat

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2008
2:32 PM

Post #5451808

Blurry - but this is the parking lot at work

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2008
2:33 PM

Post #5451811

This is what the roads look like

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2008
2:34 PM

Post #5451817

Palm trees or what is left of them

Thumbnail by MySharona

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 22, 2008
3:31 PM

Post #5452087

OMG, Sharon,thanks for the great pics... they have a lot to clean out! You are so brave to go to work on such a storm...I;m relieved you made it safe back home! Poor Sylvester, breaks my heart, seems so sad! How is Prissy doing ? Does she want to go outside? I'm thinking of you and all Floridian friends and praying to be safe.
Sidney, gorgeous clematis ! I'm glad things aren't as bad in your place and you are OK.
Joey, phuu, I can only imagine how bad that smell was! I guess you have it alright, beautiful spiders and the rest too! I loved seeing again the river, great picture, I felt like I was there!
Sally, sorry for your ash tree, I hope it didn't do any damage ! I have to plant my irises too.
Tazzy and LeeFlea, welcome from me too, I'm anxious to find out more of your place! Tazzy love those cats, so lazy!LOL
Kiska, wow, how up you climbed ! Great picture!
Rann, your pictures are more beautiful everytime! Loved that one with the girls on that wing or ...what was it? Interesting story about the volcano!
Celia, great pics of the coleus ... cool color and of Oregon .
Pepper, thanks for the link, it's great!
It's full summer here, very hot, still 100 and no rain or wind. I have to water everyday or twice a day. DD is here with BF for a short visit and we are having lots of fun...and feeling much safer!
Although we have Gavrila inside the yard and he started to feel it's his home too. I jusat let him out for a while twice or 3 times a day, for doing his busines, then he comes to the gate.Sometimes, we have another visitor, who makes very hard my choice of whom , of the puppies I'll choose to keep?LOL
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2008
4:10 PM

Post #5452330

Wow, great photos Sharon - looks like it's been quite a storm.

Iceland just won Spain in the semi-final in the handball competition of the Olympics which means we'll be playing in the FINAL against France!!!!! Needless to say the whole nation is ecstatic - lots of celebrating going on today :-D Iceland has only won 3 metals on Olympics EVER (1 silver, 2 bronze) so this is a really, really big deal here! lol :-) So happy for the team, they really deserve it.

The "thingy" the girls are jumping on is a trampoline kind of thing ... had to blow off some steam after sitting in the car for 2 hours ;-) lol

Here's a closer look :

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2008
4:14 PM

Post #5452347

This pretty pond was on the nearby golf course. We went to check it out while the girls jumped to their heart's delight on the trampoline.

Thumbnail by rannveig

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2008
4:14 PM

Post #5452349

Oh, gosh, everyone! LOL You make it so hard to catch up. ☺

Thanks for the compliments on the pics.

Gavrila is such a cutie and that pup is the very image of daddy.

Sharon, I know you weren't putting yourself in danger for those pics...but my GOSH!!! I got caught in our tornado of 1999 and that was bad enough! LOL

Rann, the girls look like they're having a wonderful summer. Is air under the thingy?

Joey, Skunk stink is no fun. Yuck!!!

70F with 89 for later.
Feels like: 70F

Barometer: 30.1 in ↓
Dewpoint: 30
Humidity: 23%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 13 mph NW
Sunrise: 6:45 AM
Sunset: 8:14 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

Willamette River, OR.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2008
4:20 PM

Post #5452380

Celia - yes there's air under the trampoline thingy ;-) Nice photo :-) Getting caught in a tornado sounds horrible.

Joey - the skunk stink sounds horrid - glad you were able to get Jack clean :-)

The pond served as a reservoir for this small electric generator. Not sure where the hot water running into to the stream comes from, possibly run-off from the pool.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 22, 2008
4:25 PM

Post #5452409

Sharon, 10 to 12 inches of rain? That just blows my mind. Sometimes we don't get that much in a whole. (Then again, in El Nino years, we might get that much in two weeks.) It looks like you had a bad case of the Santa Anas, with rain thrown in. Speaking of rain, I don't remember when we last had rain. I'm not even sure which month it was. When I first moved out here, it was an August and I asked someone at work when it had rained last. He wasn't sure, wasn't even certain of the month. I had a hard time getting my brain around that. Remember, I grew up in western PA during the little ice age of the 1970s. It rained at least once every three days.

Sidney, the clematis is gorgeous!

Leeflea, you like poppies? How's this? (Picture take quite a few years ago but it's a favorite of mine.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2008
4:27 PM

Post #5452429

Kelli, at the rate mine are going, they're going to look like that in a year or two! LOL Beautiful!!!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #5452443

Kelli - those poppies are beautiful! I didn't realise that the cold years of the 70's and 80's were a global thing ... I just thought Iceland was that cold ;-) lol Didn't need to own shorts or shortsleeved shirts when I was growing up ;-) lol

After our dip in the pool it was close to 8 pm and we were getting pretty hungry. There was a restaurant close to the pool, where we'd planned to eat dinner, but we found out it closed at 6 pm ... hmmmmmmmm, it was a 2 hour drive to the next town where we could possibly find a restaurant so we had to get going ;-) lol We couldn't pass by this pearl without stopping however. It's called Hraunfossar (Lava falls) - clear water that runs from out under the lava into Hvt (White River).

Thumbnail by rannveig

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 22, 2008
4:37 PM

Post #5452472

Yes, back in the '70s, there was a lot of talk by experts about us heading straight for another ice age. Of course that didn't happen, and thus I can't get too excited about global warming. Beautiful scenery in Iceland. It sounds like just the place to visit in the summer.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #5453245

If you want to get away from the heat, Iceland or Alaska are the places to go to ;-)

Just upstream from these Lava falls there is another waterfall in Hvt called Barnafoss (Children's falls). The name is derived from a folktale about two children, a brother and sister that crossed over a stone arch over the river just below the falls and fell in. According to the tale their mother had the arch broken down to prevent another accident.

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #5453269

Hraunfossar seen from the other side of the rive. I have to say that after telling the girls the tale of the two children we all had a bit of an uneasy feeling crossing the bridge to the other side ...

Thumbnail by rannveig

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 22, 2008
9:01 PM

Post #5453608

A little less hot than usual.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on August 22, 2008
84 F / 29 C
Clear
Humidity: 41%
Dew Point: 58 F / 14 C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the ESE
Pressure: 29.83 in / 1010 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 84 F / 29 C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 11 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

I think this is the last "western" picture I have. Head 'em up, roll 'em out!

Thumbnail by Kelli

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #5453823

Evening, all!
We've had 2 days of steady rain, thanks to TS Fay, but only some occasional gusty winds. So, pretty soggy, and humid, but downright cool in the mid 80s.
Sharon: I hope Fay's starts to move on out of there!

I am days behind, but am feeling much better, so I will try to keep up! :)
And if it stops pouring, I may get to take some pics, too.
Deb
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2008
10:00 PM

Post #5453849

Adina My boss didnt make any stay home calls, so I went. I would rather err on the side of the alpha female (my boss) than not show up! The winds were strong and there were some puddles that is really the reason I took the truck. Its much taller and easier to handle in the wind gusts. The pets were all going stir crazy (I was too). The winds have died down a little and the rain stopped for a while. We all went outside to survey damage. There really isnt any damage; its just messy with tree debris in the lawn. One guy on the next street over had a tree come down in his yard. Looked like it missed his house. Gavrila and son are so handsome!
Rann Its been a howling windy rainy storm. I like the bouncy thing - very cool! The lake is gorgeous!
Celia No no danger. I stayed up on the boardwalk when I went to the beach. The truck is so big everyone just gets out of the way when they see it coming! Beautiful Oregon pics!
Rann That looks like a very old building where the generator is located.
Kelli Yeah, lots of rain and some ponding, but not much. I saw an old retention pond that dired up several years ago. It has standing water in it again. That was a nice surprise. I think the last time you had rain was sometime in June, but dont hold me to that. Love the poppy field!
Rann The lava fields and White River are just beautiful! Such a sad story for such a beautiful place.
Kelli I never thought of California as desert region until your pictures. I always had this idea that it was lush and green. Arizona yeah, but not California!

77.5 F / 25 C
Rain Mist
Humidity: 86%
Wind: 4.3 mph / 6 km/hfrom the WSW
Wind Gust: 9.4 mph / 15 km/h
Pressure: 29.83 in / 1010.0 hPa(Rising)
Heat Index: 79 F / 26 C
Visibility: 2.0 miles / 3.2 kilometers
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 400 ft / 121 m
Overcast 2500 ft / 762 m

Wind Advisory in effect until 5 am EDT Saturday...
Flood Watch in effect through Saturday afternoon...
Tornado Watch 855 in effect until 6 PM EDT this afternoon...

Tonight
Very windy. Showers thunderstorms in the evening...then showers likely and slight chance of thunderstorms after midnight. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Low 76. East winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts to 50 mph this evening decreasing to 15 to 25 mph with gusts to 35 mph after midnight. Chance of rain near 100%.

It dos not take long for mosquitos to appear. DH went out earlier and blew down our driveway and sidewalk and then everyone elses in the cul-de-ac. He's so sweet.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2008
10:03 PM

Post #5453861

Deb - Glad you are feeling better! Here is a Cardinal trying to eat LOL! Wheeeeeeeeee!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #5453867

Downed tree

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 22, 2008
10:09 PM

Post #5453885

California has about a gazillion ecosystems. Some, like the redwood forests of the north coast are lush and green. At the other end of the spectrum, there's Death Valley. Technically, my area is not considered a desert since the average rainfall is over 10 inches a year (it's 16 inches). I looked on the calender and the last time we have recorded that it rained was in February, but I think we got a trace of rain one time after that. Let me tell you, it's the wierdest climate.

Mosquitoes, ugghh! They hunt me down like I'm filet mignon or something.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #5453900

I guess I always thought that was due to our trips to Northern CA when I was young. I must have slept through the Southern parts! Me too on the skeeter front - one got me just above my left eye brow...grrrr
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 22, 2008
10:28 PM

Post #5453984

The southern CA desert can be a bit of a snooze in the summer.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2008
12:17 AM

Post #5454351

Getting dark, still have not gotten the internet connection straightened out, missed a thread jump - will never catch up.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2008
1:13 AM

Post #5454592

Hot and humid today. Temps in high 80s.

Giant Swallowtail

Thumbnail by pepper23

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2008
1:31 AM

Post #5454671

Helluu!! :D
Glad you are back Dyson! I know what you mean about missing an entire section...so sorry (snicker - been there, done that)
Rann, Your pics are Wonderful! :D Thanks! :D
Kelli, Now that is a bunch of Prickly Pear! - John Wayne, tonite. ;)
Sharon, Looks like a real mess! But I am thankful that it wasn't worse! I have plenty of spiders & babies comin'! :D That is rather funny about the frog! DH read (or saw) where some folks had gators & snakes floating in their yards! :-O
Celia, What a Gorgeous river pic! :D
Thanks Kiska, There was a boat w/ 2 people fishing & 2 more on down the river fishing, but the last 2 had waded out to the middle if the river & were on a stump. At normal water level you can't even see the stump.
Pepper! Another beauty! :D

The answer to the trivia is...D
Carol hit on August 30, 1954.

Good Nite, Y'all! :D
Joey

There's a monster on our deck! :-O

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #5454676

A Little closer...

Thumbnail by music2keep

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #5454739

EEK!!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #5454851

HI YA'LL, WAVING FROM TEXAS!!

Sidney called and asked me to check in for her. She has phone and electricity, but no cable or interent. plenty of food too, "enough to feed the entire block"...

everyone stay cool,
tf
kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 23, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #5455089

Just lost the longer version:)
62 and sunny tonight. Sunset at 9:33pm.
Way down below, barely visible from where we hiked, is the lodge on Hatcher Pass.

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 23, 2008
3:52 AM

Post #5455328

Joey, that spider gives me the chills. What kind of spider is that? I remember one time there was a tarantula on the porch at my apartment. It was out there for a while and then it was gone. However, that didn't make it any better. I was thinking, "It's up on the ceiling waiting for me to come out so it can jump down and bite my face." I always assume that all spiders are going to bite if given the chance.

Here's a totally irrelevant picture from the archives. This is hail. I've never seen so much before or since.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2008
5:03 AM

Post #5455639

Kelli, that's not hail - it's snow! LOL I've never seen hail that thick, either.

Hi, Tamara Faye!! Thanks for letting us know about Sidney. ^_^

I don't mind little spiders... outside... no where near me... and with plenty of warning. Big spiders, though... ewww... We're storing some furniture and a fish tank (with fish) for a friend who is between houses right now. She asked if we wanted to "store" her son's tarantula, too. She was just sure we'd be thrilled. Ummm... no. No big hairy poisonous creepy tarantulas. I wouldn't even let her bring it in the house. Double eek. (Her son named it "Fishy." LOL! I asked if any of the fish were named Spider, but apparently not.)

Your dh is very sweet, Sharon. :-) I'm glad you made it through the storm ok.

There's only a 20% chance of rain tomorrow, so the heat will be back. And the mosquitoes are very plentiful and extremely hungry after all of the rain we've had lately. Ick.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2008
6:40 AM

Post #5455774

So glad everyone is okay after the storm. Nice to know we'll still have you around.

What the heck kind of spider is that?!?!?!?!?! And are those babies or victims in the first shot?

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2008
1:14 PM

Post #5456280

Pepper Thats a pretty swallowtail!
Joey Yeah, those areas are more south although it could have happened here. We didnt get the flooding that some areas did. I saw one small snake (about 2), other than that it was the norm for frogs and lizards. I dont do real spiders! Eeeeek! What the heck is that?
TF Hey! Waving back atcha~
Kiska How long did your hike take? Beautiful pictures!
Kelli My dad made a trip to Corpus Christi when I was 11ish and came home with a tarantula. Said he ran over its leg on the road, so he stopped, put it in his camera case and brought it home. Needless to say, my brothers were ecstatic and made it a pet. It eventually died (thank you).

I need to start raking the lawn, but the skeeters are everywhere. Whine!

78.4 F / 25 C
Overcast
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 72 F / 22 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/hfrom the South
Wind Gust: 5.6 mph / 9 km/h
Pressure: 29.98 in / 1015.1 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 80 F / 27 C
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1700 ft / 518 m
Mostly Cloudy 2500 ft / 762 m
Overcast 25000 ft / 7620 m

Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 8 PM EDT this evening...
Flood Watch in effect until 5 PM EDT this afternoon...

Rest of Today
Windy. Showers likely and slight chance of thunderstorms early in the morning...then showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Locally heavy rainfall possible. High 81. Southeast winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph. Chance of rain 80%

Taken from the boardwalk

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2008
2:31 PM

Post #5456553

Looks like TS Fay's effects are lessening here. We got another 1/2" of rain overnight, making a total of 5" since Monday. Most of the plants are verrrry happy! It stopped raining about 90 minutes ago and the sun's shining at the moment. Currently 75F, headed to near 90. Humidity 90%.

Sharon: My young passiflora hated the rain. It's droopy and losing leaves from the bottom up. Any ideas? (Hope Fay is going away!)

Deb

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #5456777

Leeflea, Davenport is close.I'm not sure how many miles from us. Moline is just across the river. We go to Muscatine for all our shopping. Davenport is farther east.We don't go there very often.

Rann, laughing over your skunk reaction. I've only smelled roadkill and that can be nasty enough. The school year sure came around fast. Our kids are starting all too. That ''toy'' looks like fun. Would it hold an adult? Sometimes I just want to jump.

Joey woe to Jack if he hasn't learned. I wonder how long it takes for the odor to go away on it's own.

Sharon, the ocean is sure foamy. I'm glad to just see it thru a photo! I hope they are able to get the power lines back up quickly. If that's done the messes aren't so hard to clean up.

Adina, the ash shaded my flower bed for awhile, but all the flowers under the branches were ok. The bed is now in sun all day. God tging all the plants there are for full sun. They did have afternoon and evening shade. I've missed out on your dog situation. Have you gotten another one yet?

Kwanjin, the river is beautiful!

Rann, what an interesting building.

Kelli, WOW! That is some poppy field! Do you like rain or no rain better?

Rann, Lave Falls is so beautiful!! I love the Children's Falls. What a neat path the water takes! Just gorgeous in spite of the tale.

Kelli, western is the word!

Deb, rest, so you can be 100%.

Sharon, I hope the mosquitos don't last too long. You do have a sweetie!

You can do it Dyson! I am!!

Pepper, I had one the other day. I moved a leaf to get a better picture and it snapped it's wings open for me.

Joey, BIG EEK! What big shiny eyes he has!!

Howdy TF! ~ ~ ~

Kiska, neat picture! It is way down there!

Kelli, laughing but getting the creeps over the missing spider :o) The hail is so pretty!

Marylyn, I'm with you. No way would I want to tend a spider. Fishy, ROTFL!!!

Sharon, ran over it's leg ROTFL!!! I think he was pulling legs!

It's 80* and we got 2/10'' rain this morn. I can still dig iris. The ground isn't saturated at all.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 23, 2008
3:38 PM

Post #5456819

50 Overcast.
Have a good weekend; gotta run.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2008
3:53 PM

Post #5456879

Good morning (although it's afternoon over here ;-))

It's windy and wet this afternoon, started out pretty calm this morning though. 11C (53F)
Feels like fall is just around the corner ...

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Billyporter - I think adults are allowed to jump - didn't see any signs about age restrictions.

After a rather quick look at the falls we had to get going since we were all getting pretty hungry ... so we set off to the town of Borgarnes where we hoped to find a shop open ... rural farmland on the way - Reykholt

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2008
3:55 PM

Post #5456891

getting closer to Borgarnes

Thumbnail by rannveig

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2008
3:56 PM

Post #5456898

Gorgeous shot, Rann!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #5456929

Thanks Deb :-) Hope you'll be feeling better soon and that Fay moves on out ;-)

We made it to Borgarnes about 10:10 pm to find out that all the roadside shops closed their grills at 10 pm ... the lady in the second shop we stopped at was nice enough to offer to heat up some lamb soup for us. It was so delicious and WARM (it was getting pretty cold outside and I was very thankful we weren't spending the night in a tent somewhere ;-) lol). From Borgarnes it's about an hour's drive home so we arrived home at midnight, very tired but quite content with a very enjoyable trip :-)

We drove home in moonlight which is something you don't see with the city lights around :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

tazzy
Sand Springs, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #5457056

we had early morning fog,unheard of in Aug.
current temp 80 cloudy no rain yet winds - ENE mi.p.h
Saturday: Mix of Sun and clouds...warm with a 30% chance for scattered
showers mid morning-early afternoon. Higher chances north.
Wind: SW-10 mph
Afternoon High: 92 (Heat Index near 100)

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy and quiet.
Wind: Light
Overnight Low: 70.

Sunday: Mostly cloudy early then becoming partly cloudy by
afternoon. 20% chance for scattered showers.
Winds: E 5-10 mph
Afternoon High: 90
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2008
10:35 PM

Post #5458401

Bright & sunny, hoping that Fay is not causing too much havoc with our friends to the south. What is left of her should be here by Monday,

Best to all.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2008
11:51 PM

Post #5458755

Stay safe our southern gardeners. We are 2" below average here. Last rain was August the 12th. Only one storm in Aug. Tree leaves are withering and dropping. Daylily pods are shriveling and drying on the scapes. Hmmm, must be "one of those years". I am ready to spray Roundup and mow. LOL I have lived here and amended the soil for 30 years this fall and have never seen it so dry.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 24, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #5458937

Mostly cloudy. Numerous showers in the evening. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the mid 40s to lower 50s. Light winds.
Just returned from the fair~very wet and cold. (not me; had 4 layers on), but didn't even take the camera.
Loved your pics, rann.
tazzy~fog is my least favorite "weather".
Dyson~all moved in by now?
se-eds~sounds like lots of work to be done yet. Hope you get some of the rain soon.
Waiting for use/project glass

Thumbnail by kiska

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2008
1:34 AM

Post #5459173

Evenin'! All!
Well, we've been trying to avoid Jack all day. Yep, he got sprayed but good this time. Can't even stand to get Close! Peee-ewwwww! Poor fella, I have put his bowls outside. :(
I think it's just gonna have to wear off this time. I wonder how long that will take? Not long I hope. I like having him in the house, especially at night.
Sharon, Glad that things are settling down for you & Sidney.
TF! You shouldn't stay away so long!
Dyson, Hope that you have finally gotten all of your Internet hooked up the way you want.
Se_eds, If you like I could do a rain dance for ya, but I think that Fay may be coming our way. :) We need some rain here, too. Altho, I don't think we are in need as much as you. I have had to water my flowers all week.
Kiska, I know that you enjoyed the fair. Looks like you will be making some more pretty things! :D And the scenery at Hatcher Pass! Wow!
Deb, Glad that you are feeling better & getting some rain! :)
Kelli, I found out what kind of spider "she" is...a Wolf Spider. (see picture below) And the hail does look like snow. :-O
Marylyn! LOL "EEK!!" :D
Sally, I hope it goes away soon. This time it is really Awful!
Rann, What Gorgeous Pics! GEE! I think you have outdone yourself!

A trivia question...
Hurricane Audrey was particularly severe, hitting Louisiana and Northern Texas. In what year did Audrey strike?
a) 1957
b) 1958
c) 1956
d) 1953

At Dublin...
Clear66F
Feels like: 66F

Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 57
Humidity: 73%
Sunrise: 6:46 AM
Sunset: 8:03 PM

Nite All!
Joey

(not my pic)

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2008
1:37 AM

Post #5459191

Sharon, since you don't do spiders (like Jackie doesn't do lizards) ... this is something different for you to look at. :)

My Evening Primrose...

Thumbnail by music2keep

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 24, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #5459275

Billy - What do I like better, sunny or rainy? Well, I guess that all-in-all I like sunny better. I certainly would rather have more sunny days than rainy or cloudy days.

Kiska, your orange glass looks like a sulfur creek. Do you know what that is? I'll bet Joey does.

Picture from today. This is just a few miles from our house. It isn't as scenic as the Santa Monica Mountains, but God made it, too. Even though it is within the city limits of Los Angeles (I think), we only saw three other people in the almost 2 hours we were there. The other people were riding horses, but they were wearing tank tops and such and didn't look very western. We also discovered a new park (new to us) beyond this one that we'll have to check out one of these days. The little strip of concrete on the left is a wall along the 118 freeway.

Thumbnail by Kelli

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #5459330

Kelli, this is how or what I know of sulfur... http://www.galleries.com/minerals/elements/sulfur/sulfur.htm
or this... http://girlzrule67.tripod.com/index6.html (which is very, very close to my house)

Love that rocky hill!

This message was edited Aug 23, 2008 10:16 PM
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 24, 2008
3:22 AM

Post #5459634

This is a sulfur creek - at least that's what my family called them. http://www.depweb.state.pa.us/abandonedminerec/cwp/view.asp?a=1480&q=457768 They were fairly common when I was a little kid but the ones that I know of have been cleaned up though the rocks are still stained orange.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 24, 2008
5:14 AM

Post #5459982

hmmm~will have to clic on the links; sulfur creek is new to me.
Have fun checking out the new park, Kelli.
M2Keep~poor Jack~still a bit smelly:) Does JW seem to notice that Jack seems different? I do love the evening primrose pic. What a spider!! (Better, in my mind, than other critters)>
54* mostly sunny at 9:15pm.
Fireworks at the Fair in an hour. We plan to drive up on a nearby hill to watch. The sounds echo from mountain to mountain; very cool.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 24, 2008
2:57 PM

Post #5460858

44 Overcast ~ highs to the 60's.
Thanks, M2K and kelli, the links; very interesting reading w/all three.
Last night's fireworks were great. There were about 40 other cars full of folks that had driven up to the lookout.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2008
3:21 PM

Post #5460940

Good morning :-)

It's still wet here, fortunately just a bit breezy and 11C (52F) today.

Joey - Yikes! I don't like the looks of that spider - is it poisonous? I don't mind spiders here because they're all totally harmless and keep the flies and aphids down ... not a fan of the big ones though ;-) lol Thanks - the scenery was just there for me to photograph ;-) lol Did Jack get sprayed again??????? Poor dog. Hopefully he'll learn to stay clear next time ;-) lol

Kiska - thanks. Beautiful looking glass - I'm sure it'll turn into something spectacular in your hands :-)

Dyson - glad to see you back :-) Settled in yet?

TS Faye made it into the news last night. Hope our FL friends are OK.

Iceland won silver in the men's handball competition and we're esctatic although beating France would have been nice. They were just too strong a team and really deserved the gold. A nation of our size (pop. 300.000) has never won a metal in a team competion on the Olympics so we're might proud of our team :-) "Per capita" we always come out on top ;-) lol

Hope you all have a GREAT day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2008
6:02 PM

Post #5461655

HHH today. 97.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2008
8:03 PM

Post #5462145

Howdeeeeeeeee,
I'm back 58 hrs of hard wind. No power for 7 hrs, No cable or Dave's Garden for 60 hrs. Everything growing was at 135º.
All is well. Lots of rubish.
I think Audrey happened when I was in 2nd grade, 1957, before TV for us.
Glad everyone is okay.
Sidney
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2008
9:13 PM

Post #5462369

Been cleaning the lawn - what a mess. I am worn out! Some plants are permanently a-tilt now. Will catch up later.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2008
10:33 PM

Post #5462639

Sidney: Glad you're back! sounds like you and
Sharon both have a bit of a mess on hand.
Deb
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2008
11:33 PM

Post #5462901

Mine were leaning yesterday and I went out and untwisted hung up limds of my copperleafs and standard Duranta. They are doing a more vertical appearance again now.
Front is cleaned and back has big branches removed.
;)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 24, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #5462932

I'm glad you all made it through unscathed.

It didn't feel quite this hot out.

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on August 24, 2008
102 F / 39 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 11%
Dew Point: 38 F / 3 C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 29.75 in / 1007 hPa (Falling)
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds: Few 8000 ft / 2438 m
(Above Ground Level)

Today I saw a queen butterfly in the yard. According to one of my books, they live in the desert but sometimes wander out here in the fall.

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2008
12:44 AM

Post #5463202

Hey Gang!

I missed the Thread switch...

GREAT Pictures ALL!!!!

Man the Norse countries have some gruesome folk tales Rann...
What lives under the Trampoline?
A child eating Troll? ... lol!

Beautiful country and I really do love that Trampoline... COOL!

Well when a hot humid Southern air mass hits a cool dry Northern Front what happens...
a) Pop up torrential T-showers
b) 45-55 MPH gusts w/ 'Hook' clouds
c) Ric and Robyn get to drive thru 3 of them in
20 miles to find their drought stricken yard still bone dry
d) All of the above

Yep d...
Several times we were looking for funnels but it broke up pretty swiftly before anything could form.

we did just get a small drenching a few minutes ago though...

Here's sunset a few minutes ago...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2008
12:47 AM

Post #5463215

Rann here's a nice Gnome for the girls...

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #5463300

Kelli Humidity 11%?
Man that has to be sucking up some serious moisture.

My neighbor Jon's brother lives in JAX.
He had moved his boat trailer as it was sinking into the sand.
All that rain had caused the water table to rise almost to the surface.
2 hours later a big tree fell right where the boat had been.
Then as he left for work another one fell across his driveway blocking him in.
He had less damage in the previous full Hurricanes...

Big spiders eat big bugs!
Pretty much all are venomous but only a few have venom affects humans.
Around here Brown Recluse is the Top Dog... followed by Black Widow.
The rest just raise a welt at best.

Here's one of our 'Bug Eaters'

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2008
1:05 AM

Post #5463317

Here's one of the reasons I've been absent of late...

We finally have the new room water tight...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2008
4:34 AM

Post #5464092

So glad Faye didn't do more damage. Good to see you all in good shape.

Butterflies are giving my yard a miss this year. I don't know why. Love the Queen, Kelli.

Ric, don't you just love the colors after a storm? Froggy is great! And I love the new room top.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2008
9:46 AM

Post #5464367

Good morning!

Sidney and Sharon - glad the worst is over and that damage is minimal :-)

Ric - I really like that gnome :-) I'm not a fan of the colorful ones but that one is really cute :-) LOL - no the child eating troll comes around Christmas ;-) Yeah we got plenty of gruesome folk tales - I think it has something to do with the long dark winters ... being in the dark tends to get the imagination going ;-) lol

It's cloudy, fairly calm and 10C (50F) this morning. It will most likely rain some today. Today's high will probably be around 52F I'd guess.

Had to get up early this morning to get the girls to school - can't say I liked that part, but getting back into a routine is nice none-the-less.

Have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2008
10:06 AM

Post #5464389

Rann - Your pictures from the day trip are just gorgeous!
Dyson Any rain yet? Hows the move going?
Se_eds Hope you get some rain soon.
Kiska Those look like Christmas colors! Cant wait to see what you do with the glass.
Joey Poor Jack! Has he lost the skunkstunk yet? I think Audrey was in 57, but Im not positive. Thank you for the Primrose! We get those big ^&*(^&*^ wolf spiders here and I cant stand them. One ran across my bare foot about 3 weeks ago. I screamed like a girl (well I am a girl), but poor Jeff, he thought I was dying!
Kelli Love that hill! All I know about sulfur is it stinks like rotten eggs!
Rann Congratulations to Iceland on the medals!
Kelli Thats a beauty of a butterfly
Ric Same goes here for the spiders, brown recluse, black widows and I heard recently that we have brown widows too. You frog is more my speed as far as bug eaters go!
Celia- Awwwwe Monty is so sweet.

73.6 F / 23.1 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 69 F / 20 C
Pressure: 29.92 in / 1013.1 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 73 F / 23 C
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 12000 ft / 3657 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy with a chance of showers and a slight chance of thunderstorms in the morning...then mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. High 88. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70% percent.

No rain yesterday, got the lawn mowed. I swear the grass grew a foot with all the rain. One of my night blooming cereus bloomed Saturday night, found the remnants yesterday. I lost 2 buds on the plant.

Thumbnail by MySharona

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2008
11:07 AM

Post #5464455

Mornin'! :D Well, I don't know how Jack did it, bu the didn't stink yesterday evening. Maybe one of the neighbors felt sorry for him. So he got to stay inside last night. I'm glad, cuz I am out of hydrogen peroxide. It's almost Dyson Dark (w/intermittent light)
At Dublin...
Clear: 63F
Feels like: 63F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 61
Sunrise: 6:48 AM
Sunset: 8:01 PM

Kelli! Happy Birthday!!!! I had no idea about the mine water. I really know nothing about mining. I learned a few things at school, but nothing like that. No wonder folks are throwing a fit about the strip mining. It defaces the mountains, that I do know. Thanks for the info. Love the Queen! :)
Sidney! Glad that you are back & that you plants are making a come-back! :D
Sharon, I know that it's been some hard work...but you will have a sense of accomplishment, when finished. If you need some "Spiders"...(not the 8 legged kind) let me know. Love the bud! :D
Rann, What a wonderful contrast in your last pic! :D Wow! :D Yep, I hope he has learned, too, but who really knows for sure. He's a persistent little fella. He was after a rabbit the other day & it went into a drain (underground) at my DB's & pulled the entire flexible pipe out of the ground! He got the rabbit & I had to replace what he tore out! :( You'd think that we didn't feed him or something. :)
Ric, You have been a busy man! Good looking roof! LOL ~ It took me a sec to figure out you were on the roof! :D I like frogs & would rather have one, but they just draw more snakes. :( The last time I saw a frog ... I saw a Copper Head! So I'll just take the birds & the black snakes. :)
Celia, Monte looks so at peace. :) Pretty kitty.
Kiksa, JW noticed the smell the other day & that Jack wasn't allowed in the house. He just giggle the next day when we let him (Jack) inside. He was quite excited.

The answer to the trivia is...A
Hurricane Audrey spread from Texas to Alabama, raged for five days, leaving 390 fatalities in its wake.

Today's trivia is...
Hurricane Agnes struck a huge portion of the east coast, from Florida to New York. In what year?
a) 1972
b) 1973
c) 1971
d) 1974

Have a Great Day! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2008
11:45 AM

Post #5464524

Kelli - Happy Birthday!! Oh and look - I got 2 blooms overnight

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2008
12:46 PM

Post #5464669

Happy Birthday, Kelli!!! I hope you have a wonderful day. :-D

It's the first day of school here... The little bunny just has orientation at 9:30; the bus comes tomorrow for her first real day. She's excited about it. :-) I'm going to finish up the dining/school room this afternoon so Joy and I are ready for homeschool tomorrow, too. Joy is excited, too. :-) I need to take my little Geo Metro into the shop today after Katie's orientation. It's been having trouble starting, and has been sounding rough. I hope the repairs end up not being TOO extensive/expensive. It's hard to justify spending too much money on a 1996 Metro, even if the gas mileage is good. :-)

I love everyone's pictures and stories! Sharon & Sidney, I'm so glad you are both ok even if your plants are tilted a bit. :-) Ric, I'm glad you and Robyn made it through the storms safely, too!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CDT (50 min ago)
Temperature 76 F 24 C
Dew Point 71 F 22 C
Humidity 85%
Pressure 29.85 in 1010.8 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir WNW 300
Ceiling - -
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 80 F 27 C
Current Conditions Clear
Trace precipitation at 6:53am CDT .

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2008
3:05 PM

Post #5465242

Happy B-Day, Kelli!!! Have a most wondeful day!

I love going on everyone's walks and someday...

And Joey, I know this one...A. Pretty purple...Hibiscus?

Marylyn, is the bunny in K or 1st?

75F with 96 for later.
Feels like: 75F

Barometer: 29.8 in ↓
Dewpoint: 41
Humidity: 29%
Wind: 14 mph SSE
Sunrise: 6:48 AM
Sunset: 8:09 PM
UV Index: 9

Marigold.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2008
3:55 PM

Post #5465451

Happy Birthday Kelli!
Hope you have a great day and many more years of romping around California. I love all of your pictures.
These are the highs for August so far.
Temperature: 101.0 F
Wind Speed: 53.0mph
Wind Gust: 54.0mph
Precipitation so far for August: 32.51in
This weatherunderground station is with in a mile of my yard.
;)
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2008
5:10 PM

Post #5465783

The little bunny, Katie, is 5. She is repeating Pre-K. She is mildly autistic and has a speech delay. Our school district has 5 just Pre-K buildings, and their special ed program is fabulous, so we were very happy to send Katie back there again this year. :-) She was happy to see her school and her teachers, too. One of her teachers this year is one she had last year - and Joy had her 3 years ago, too, so it's like visiting an old friend.

The big bunny, Joy, is 7 and in 2nd grade. We are homeschooling her, which is tons of fun (most days LOL). ^_^
kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 25, 2008
6:01 PM

Post #5466015

53 - overcast but more breaks in the clouds - so a peek of blue here and there.
Happy Birthday, Kelli~ Have a wonderful day.
rann~beautiful as ever; congrats to the team.
Joey~lucky Jack and happy JW- glad all's better.
Sidney/MySharona~clean-up must be a back breaking time. Hope it remains calm from here on out.
Sidney ~I use weatherunderground, too; and, post pics there, as well.
ric~good project and gorgeous sunset yesterday.
Marylynn~have a good day- hope the car repair won't be too expensive
kwanjin~wow that's pretty. I'm finding more inspiration from blossoms you all are posting, for projects. Don't think I can outdo mother nature's color.

Thumbnail by kiska

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2008
8:43 PM

Post #5466608

Ric: I prefer your bug-eater to Joey's 8-legged one! (LOL. I just saw Sharon said the same thing. )

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KELLI!!!

Absolutely pouring and thundering at the moment. The parking lot in front of my office looks more like a marina. I look at it as a shift from 90% humidity to 100%. :)
Deb

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2008
10:19 PM

Post #5466979

We have a nasty fire low on our mountains threatening homes. I live about 20 miles from them and this is what I can see...

Everything except the two tiny clouds is smoke. The wind is kicking up, as well, making it difficult to fight.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2008 4:20 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2008
10:35 PM

Post #5467072

Oh golly, you need some of our rain! I hope they get that under control.
deb
kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 25, 2008
11:29 PM

Post #5467332

Deb~sure seems kwanjin could use some of the extra rain from your area.
Hopefully the wind will die down and the fire can be controlled.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2008
11:54 PM

Post #5467444

Wasn't Agnes in '72? So terribly much water and flood damage here.
Debi - Glad you are getting rain for your parched area.
Happy Birthday Kelli - your pictures take us on vacation several times a month. WOW.
Henry10 - nice job on the roof with those copper nails.

Beautiful sunny day with temps in the mid 80's with gentle breezes. This is a perfect vacation land .
We might get rain next Thursday or Friday. Hope no flooders as it won't do any good at this late date.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #5467515

I am dreading the final exam on this weather course, LOL!
Sidney
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
12:43 AM

Post #5467673

HAPPY Birthday Kelli!!!!

Cloudy and bit breezey and cooler today.
We should be seeing some 'Fey' fallout by Weds... hopefully!

kwanjin I hope that wind keeps blowing away from you!!!

Here's a 'Scary' roof pic...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #5467765

I'm baaaaccccckkk! Been away for six days--to a wedding in Colorado. I worried about you both, Sidney and Sharon, but I am glad to know that you are both safe and sound. Glad I made it back in time to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KELLI !! Welcome to our newcomer(s). I'll be back in the morning to catch up with y'all and post some pics.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2008
2:19 AM

Post #5468191

I guess that the rain is coming, too late for my plants, but maybe someone will (I hope) profit from it.

Yes it is dark & I am tired. Sue is asleep and I have to get up in a few. Night too all.

Best regards - Dyson
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 26, 2008
2:22 AM

Post #5468211

Thank you for the birthday wishes! We went up to Pismo Beach for the day. I only took two pictures. I've been up there many times and it always looks kind of the same, but I figured you'd all be disappointed if I came back with no pictures.

It was hot in the house when we got home. I would imagine that it got well above 90F.

Updated: 6:51 PM PDT on August 25, 2008
86 F / 30 C
Clear
Humidity: 33%

Downtown, Pismo Beach, California (PWS)
Updated: 6:39 PM PDT on August 25, 2008
68.1 F / 20.1 C
Clear
Humidity: 79%

People are allowed to drive on this section of beach. The sand is very firm. It's like walking on dirt. The two blobs in the foreground are jellyfish. There must have been a couple dozen of them along the beach. These were serious jellyfish. Some were as big as car hubcaps. I don't know if they sting and I wasn't about to find out. There are lots of things that I will touch but jellyfish are not among them. (Man, it's hot in the house.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #5468218

oh yea. - Kelli - May The Wind Be Always at your back (makes for a smoother ride or hike as the case may be).
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 26, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #5468272

Actually, in my face is o.k., too. It's more cooling. ;-)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #5468338

It's hot in our house, too. WAY too hot.

Mau's back! Yea!!! Look forward to pics...

Here's the fire as I got off the freeway. This is ON THE MOUNTAIN!!! It looks right in the valley. We got a littlesplattering of water but nothing that will help the firefighters.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2008
2:55 AM

Post #5468348

Latitude seems to be everything in this case - still - the best too you & yours on your bday.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 26, 2008
3:20 AM

Post #5468454

Latitude is everything - sounds like something Jimmy Buffett would say.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 26, 2008
3:37 AM

Post #5468517

not dark; sunny at 7:30pm; 59*. There's been rain in different areas of the valley but we had only a spattering of drops.
The smoke is looking more dense than in the first post. Hope it's soon contained, kwanjin.
Ric~sure had a sense of vertigo looking down off the roof...cool pic.
Kelli~sounds and looks like a good day at Pismo Beach.
welcome back from Colorado; marsue.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2008
10:02 AM

Post #5468958

Joey Agnes was in 72. Sounds like Jack thinks skunk stink is an aphrodisiac! LOL!
Marylyn Glad everything went well with orientation!
Celia I hope the fire is still moving away from you and you dont have to evacuate/
Ric The roof looks great!
Marsue Hi and waving! Looking forward to pictures.
Kelli Glad you had a nice day yesterday.

75.0 F / 23.9 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 69 F / 21 C
Pressure: 29.86 in / 1011.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 75 F / 24 C
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. A slight chance of showers in the morning... then a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 88. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

4 blooms this morning

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2008
10:22 AM

Post #5468978

Good morning!

It's cloudy, a cool breeze blowing and 12C (54F). It feels like fall, the leaves are even starting to turn ...

Kelli - a happy belated Birthday to you! Sorry I missed that yesterday. The beach looks great! :-)

Sharon - Thanks, I think the entire nation was up at 7:45 on Sunday morning to watch the final match. (We didn't because I don't do 7:45 on Sunday mornings so I taped it and we watched it when we got up ... well DH did. I don't have nerves to watch a game like that, and besides it was a pretty hopeless struggle for most of the game. The semi-final on Friday was great fun to watch however since we won ;-) lol The stock market here stopped during Friday's semi - everyone was watching. It was the same at DH's office. I heard of a lady that went into a bookstore during the semi-final and the staff was too busy watching the game ... she got the question : what are you doing here - why aren't you watching the game ?" LOL. http://www.nbcolympics.com/handball/news/newsid=255769.html#historic+performance+captivates+nation They will receive a heroes welcome when they come home tomorrow that's for sure. Beautiful blooms :-)

Celia - that fire looks bad. Hope it's contained soon.

Joey - lol at Jack. Glad the stink's gone :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2008
1:05 PM

Post #5469433

Good morning, everyone!

Very nice and peaceful beach, Kelli.

Beautiful pics, everyone.

I can hear geese passing over us, the kitties are outside protecting the birdies as they eat, I have coffee...life is good.

77F
Feels like: 77F

Barometer: 29.7 in
Dewpoint: 39
Humidity: 26%
Wind: 5 mph NNW
Sunrise: 6:49 AM
Sunset: 8:08 PM
UV Index:9

During our trip to Oregon, Darrell got to drive the riverboat we had our final dinner on.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
1:08 PM

Post #5469444

There is no way I can possibly comment on everything that was posted while I was away. Suffice it to say that you all took some very good photos--which is no less than I would have expected of you all.
Celia: sorry about the fires in your area. :o((

According to my MIL, it rained every day while we were away. I can believe it from the looks of my flowerbeds--it's a jungle out there!! LOL

DH and I took some photos from the car as we traveled from Arkansas to Colorado to attend the wedding of a good friend. I thought of Adina and Rann, especially, as I was taking pictures and hope to show the two of them our great American plains.
First, I will start with a photo or two of north central Oklahoma. This photo shows you that not all of Oklahoma is dry and dusty:
This was taken just west of Tulsa on Hwy. 412

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
1:11 PM

Post #5469450

We cross-posted, Celia. Neat picture of "captain" Darrell!! :o))

Another photo taken in Oklahoma

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
1:13 PM

Post #5469453

Harnessing the wind in Kansas

Edited to add: We saw a semi which was hauling one of the "arms" of one of these windmills. It was HUGE! You don't realize how big those things are until you see them close-up.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2008 8:15 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2008
1:14 PM

Post #5469457

Good morning, you! Glad you're back.

The fires are mostly contained but still burning.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
1:17 PM

Post #5469466

Celia, glad the fires are being contained. That has got to be scary!! It's good to be back. :o))

Here's a view from the parking lot of our motel in Silverthorne, CO.

edited to add: The brown trees have been killed by a type of beetle. There are millions of trees in Colorado that are dead or dying due to this beetle. They can't spray the trees because the beetle kills the trees from the inside out so anything they might spray would not reach the beetles.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2008 8:19 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
1:21 PM

Post #5469480

Anybody ever seen a Target Store that looked this good on the outside?

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
1:22 PM

Post #5469487

Here's a view from the overlook where the happy couple was married.

edited to add: The elevation at this point is somewhere around 11,000 feet above sea level. It was certainly hard for two "Arkies" to breathe up there in that thin air! LOL

This message was edited Aug 26, 2008 8:32 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
1:24 PM

Post #5469497

This is a close-up of some of the trees that have been killed by the beetle.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
1:28 PM

Post #5469513

This was taken from the parking lot at McDonald's after we grabbed breakfast on Saturday morning.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
1:31 PM

Post #5469527

In the tunnel on I-70--heading east toward Denver

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2008
1:33 PM

Post #5469535

No, I've never seen a Target look so nice. Or the parking lot so empty! Beautiful country, isn't it?
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
1:36 PM

Post #5469544

My DH took this photo through the bug-splattered windshield as we traveled east of Denver on I-70 heading toward Kansas. Yes, this is in Colorado!

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #5469550

Yes, Celia, it is beautiful country and the parking lot was empty because it was early--not yet 9 a.m.

Here is the Arkansas River---in Oklahoma just west of Tulsa. The Arkansas River actually starts in Colorado and winds its way down through Oklahoma and then on through Arkansas to where it empties into the Mississippi River.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
1:42 PM

Post #5469560

Here's a scene on I-40 just after we crossed from Oklahoma into Arkansas heading toward home on Monday.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
1:47 PM

Post #5469583

This photo is a little fuzzy but I wanted to show you a photo of this overpass because the bridge design received an award for "best design" back when the freeway was built years ago. There is another overpass further down the road that is also built like this one. I don't know why they didn't do all of them like this.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
1:51 PM

Post #5469593

This is the other overpass with the same design. and this is the last of my "travelogue". LOL

Our weather is currently sunny with 73. Delightful!

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2008
1:55 PM

Post #5469610

Wonderful! Glad you had a nice time but I'm glad you're back, too.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #5469913

Good Morning! (or what's left of it). We had a brief shower this morning...waiting for more this afternoon. The best will be here tomorrow. Se_eds...It's a comin'! :D It's rather cloudy, 69 & gearing up to bring Fay, but
At Dublin...
Clear: 72F
Feels like: 72F
Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 70
Wind: 11 mph E
Sunrise: 6:49 AM
Sunset: 7:59 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

Marsue! Glad that you are back home! :D Your pics are as I remember. I have been to most everywhere east of Denver. Did you go thru Enid OK? & Wichita? Great views! And I have saved the pic of the lake (?). Does it have a name? What a wonderful place to tie the knot. :)
Celia, Pretty Rose! & "captain" Darrell looks as if he really knows what he's doing? :D The purple Hibiscus is a Rose of Sharon. :) Glad that the fire is getting under control...I was kind'a worried for ya.
Rann, Glad that the hero's will be home tomorrow. I know you all are very proud of them! :D with every reason to be! :D What a great pic ~ such contrast! :D
Sharon! What a Gorgeous Bloom! :-O ~ "Sounds like Jack thinks skunk stink is an aphrodisiac!" I certainly Hope Not! LOL
Kelli, Glad that you had such a good day & yes, we were expecting you to take some pics! ;) Looks like a good place to spend the day. :D
Ric, I agree w/ Kiska...Vertigo! Gone Wild! :D Whew! I had that "drunk" feeling just looking at that last pic! :)
Kiska, I hope that the skunk thing is past us now...too smelly! You know it's bad when you can smell it & the smell is gone. It's like it sticks in your nose & won't leave! Love your last pic...is it of the boggy area? So Peaceful!

The answer to the trivia is...A
From June 19 thru June 29, 1972.

Today's trivia is...
In 1979 a hurricane that hit Florida and the Eastern United States, as well as the Caribbean, left a very high fatality list. What was it called?
a) Donna
b) Diane
c) Daniel
d) David

Have a Great Day!
Joey

my Rosemary is blooming! :D

Thumbnail by music2keep

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #5469989

marsue - welcome back! :-) Great photos - I really enjoyed the tour :-) What a gorgeous view the newlyweds had! Shame about the trees.

Joey - thanks :-) Still laughing at Jack ;-) lol Hope you get the smell out of your nose soon - it really sounds horrible! I never realized rosemary had such pretty flowers :-)

The sun's out, still breezy and currently 13C (57F) which will most likely be the high for today. I went out to pick black currants earlier - there's still lots left to pick. After this warm, dry summer it looks like a record crop :-)

Not quite Oklahoma ;-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
4:19 PM

Post #5470177

Thanks for the warm welcome back, everyone!
Joey: try some hydrogen peroxide on a Q-tip and swab the inside of your nose with it to get rid of the "skunk" smell. I'm guessing "B" on the trivia. I never knew that Rosemary had a blue bloom--very pretty! I can't remember the name of the lake but I will get it for you.
Rann: "Not quite Oklahoma" but very similar to some of our hilly plains areas in the West.

One of the wildflowers on top of the mountain. Looked like some kind of yarrow to me.

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 26, 2008
6:43 PM

Post #5470721

53 Overcast
marsue~thanks for the trip; looks like a gorgeous place for a wedding.This leads me in to the wedding we'll be attending. In October, our oldest gson, 18 1/2 is getting married. Oh so young; but if any young couple can make a go of marriage, they will do fine. She is a couple years older and both are "good people"...
The link to the newspaper features his future father-in-law. Mr. Robb grows record giant veggies. http://www.adn.com/
This photo is of his G.World Record kale at last year's Alaska State Fair here in Palmer. Weigh in for this year's entries is on Friday.

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2008
12:06 AM

Post #5471825

I thought you'd get a kick out of the 'Scary' shot.
I'm actually only about 10' off the ground there.
The wide angle lens make it look scarier.
Here's a straight ahead shot from the same place.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #5472068

Marsue glad to see you're back!
Nice travelogue!
We have a Pine beetle that's whacking the White Pines around here.
And Ash Bore... those two trees will soon be history here...
Robyn's cousins will be up from Bentonville tomorrow... hope they bring a little rain w/ them.

Kiska that's one big Kale!
What exactly does one do w/ Kale?

Looks like Fay is finally here... acording to the Radar...
Acording to Ric's highly scientific... Standing outside the front door w/ a Bald Head ...
Not here yet... LOL!

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2008
1:04 AM

Post #5472132

Ric: too bad about the pine beetles and the Ash borer. We had an infestation of Dutch Elm disease years ago which pretty much did away with all our elm trees in this area. It's a shame what the bugs and diseases can do to the trees!I think our rain has moved somewhere else--maybe it is coming up your way. Have a good time with the cousins!

Kiska: that is some huge kale!

We just got back from watching the 8 yr. old DGS practice with his little league football team. He's doing a good job of catching the football, even with a cast on his left arm. It was very pleasant sitting out in lawn chairs--not too hot and not humid, either. Almost unheard of for August in Arkansas!!

Currently not quite dark and 81.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2008
5:35 AM

Post #5473118

Dyson dark here. We had trying day here today. New car hasd acoolant leak that was repaired and it was inspected and passed, but now the speedometer and A/C don't work. Something they did. It's still at the dealership being looked at. We did get the new tags for it. Also, we went to Costco to get a few things and I picked up a book I've been wanting to read for the last few weeks. It got left in the cart.

Tomorrow will be better. The Kidney Foundation is picking up the poor old Berreta and taking it away and the SunSetter awning is being delivered. :-) Oh, and one of my DBs is stopping by to visit.

It was not not too bad, weatherwise, today. Not as HHH as it has been.

My brother and his wife who were kind enough to take in a couple of stray kids who went on vacation in their home state.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2008
5:37 AM

Post #5473121

Ric, you're doing good work there. Looks great!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2008
9:50 AM

Post #5473285

Good morning!

It's mostly cloudy, but still fairly bright only a light breeze and already 13C (55F) at 9:30 am.

I need to make black currant jam this morning :-) I picked about 2 kilos yesterday and there was so much left that I couldn't use so my mom came and picked about as much! Never seen so many berries on the bushes and they're all black and juicy :-)

I've been spending most of my time so far this week looking for a new violin for Selma ... I only managed to find 3 to choose from and we've been having a horrid time making a decision. The problem is none of them is exactly what we want ... down to 2 now and I'm meeting her teacher again today (3rd day in a row ...) I'll be so glad when it's done.

Celia - sorry about the car trouble and that the book got left in the car - how frustrating! Hope today will be better :-)

Kiska - that kale is huge! 18 does seem pretty young to get married.

This is the site where the althing (parliament) gathered way back when before Iceland lost it's independence (before 1200 something ;-) ) ...

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2008
10:15 AM

Post #5473329

Rann Thats funny about the woman in the store!
Celia Capt Darrell looks like a natural!
Marsue Glad you are back! Thank you for the trip out West! Love the Target store
Joey I remember Frederic, but thats not an option. I want to say Daniel cause thats my exs name! I think it was David though. Rosemary does produce some very pretty tiny purple orchid like blooms mine bloomed last year. I plucked the flowers because they take away the flavor of the herb.
Kiska Psychogrower! Im cracking up! Does the kale taste normal even when it gets that large or does it get bitter? Congratulations to your DGS and fianc!
Ric I like the looks of that hot tub! LOL at the rainmeter! You are most welcome to have Fay.
Celia- Nice picture of your brother and SIL! Grrr about the book, drives me crazy when I leave something at the store. I hope the car doesnt need extensive/expensive work. Luckily DH can do the majority of the work on my car. The brakes needed changing, Corbins wanted $1,000 to do it. DH bought the parts for $100 and had the brakes changed in less than an hour. He has a new respect for German automakers! They know how to do brakes! LOL!
Rann- Beautiful pictures! Hope you find the violin you are looking for.

76.6 F / 24 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 71 F / 22 C
Pressure: 29.86 in / 1011.1 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 78 F / 26 C
Visibility: 5.0 miles / 8.0 kilometers
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 700 ft / 213 m

Now
Through 730 am...areas of fog and low clouds are expected with visibilities generally in the 3 to 5 mile range. Lower visibilities of less than 2 miles are possible in areas around Jasper...Lake city...Citra...Gainesville...Live Oak...Folkston...Nahunta...and Jesup. Motorists should use caution and use low beam headlights. Be on the lookout for sudden changes in visibility.

Today
Partly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 88. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%. Heat index readings 98 to 102.

Oh goody Summer is back. The humidity yesterday was horrid.

Here is a picture of the 4 QOTN blooms. All blooms are finished now... :(

Thumbnail by MySharona

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2008
10:41 AM

Post #5473364

Mornin'! It's very Dyson Dark & raining! :D & the poochie is starting to smell (faintly). I got on line to read about skunk "smell". One of the sites said that the odor may flare up when the humidity is high! Yuck!!! Well, you can guess what the humidity is... :(
At Dublin...
Rain63F
Feels like: 63F
Dewpoint: 63
Wind: 10 mph E
Sunrise: 6:50 AM
Sunset: 7:58 PM

Rann, Thanks. (I think I can hear you laughing!:) The web site also said that the smell may last a week or 2! I shouldn't complain...we need the rain. Your Scenery! So pretty! :D Love the history. ;)
Marsue, At this point I don't think that the peroxide will help, but I thank you for the info. The smell is finally out of my nose, but still on Jack (faintly). Thanks, about the Rosemary. I didn't know they had a bloom either! :) I was very excited to see them! :D That little flower in your pic looks like Yarrow to me, too.
Kiska, Congrats to your GS :) I hope they will be very happy. :D The link to the state fair was very neat. Thanks! :D That is one huge Kale! Looks good enough to eat! ;) Would go good w/ some pinto beans & cornbread! :)
Ric, Thanks for the different perspective. :D It's not quite so "dizzying"! :D It actually looks like a good place to jump in! LOL (the bald-head test! :D) Do you have Fay this mornin'?
Celia, Hate that you are having trouble already w/ you new purchase! :-O I hope it's fixed soon. I feel you're itchin' to go fro a ride! ;)
Sharon, Loves those blooms! :D Will that be all for this season? What a bummer! How's Gary doing?

The answer to the trivia is...D
From August 30 through September 7, Hurricane David spread massive destruction and caused 1,100 fatalities.

Today's trivia is...
In what year did Hurricane Gloria strike?
a) 1986
b) 1985
c) 1984
d) 1983

Have a Great Day!
Joey

(Campanula)

Thumbnail by music2keep

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 27, 2008
2:44 PM

Post #5474044

51 Rain; very dim with the heavy cloud cover. I was up at 1:30am and it was dark.
Thanks for the well wishes for the young engaged couple.
rann~good luck with the choices; at least it's narrowed down to the two. Love the openess of the landscape; very pretty.
Joey~little by little, Jack should be back to "normal" doggy smell...We haven't had a dog for about 5 years; makes it easy to come and go, but sure loved having her around. A wild guess.
The giant kale would be good eats; as is the cabbage. The giant root veggies are not edible; they become woody.
Last year's large turnip. 19.24#

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2008
2:57 PM

Post #5474092

Good morning, all! No word on the car yet...It's something they did to the computer...we know that much, so, we won't be paying for it, at least. Darrell IS itching to drive it! LOL

Rann, good luck on finding a good violin. When my daughter took viola lessons, we had heck of a time finding a good one. You pic is very cool. I like the upheaval of land. Shows how volitile the country is.

Sharon, Darrell is a natural! LOL Sailor, through and through. Pretty flowers. Too bad they're gone. Gary is well?

Joey, guessing C. Vivid blue!

61F and a nice, cool 86 for later.

Barometer: 29.9 in
Dewpoint: 36
Humidity: 39%
Wind: 6 mph S
Sunset: 8:06 PM

Great Salt Lake from the air. You can see the red algae that grows in it.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2008
3:00 PM

Post #5474099

Kiska, that's one HUGE turnip! I can taste it now...yum.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2008
3:10 PM

Post #5474138

Joey: 100% humidity--YIKES! I have no idea on the trivia.
HUGE turnip, Kiska. I like turnip greens but not the actual turnip.
Celia: sure hope they get the car "fixed" soon. Sometimes these vehicles have too many electronic features on them--makes them hard to repair. That's a great shot of the Great Salt Lake. Good pic of your brother and SIL, too.
Sharon: hope the latest hurricane isn't heading your way. I haven't checked the weather today. Is Gary doing okay? BTW, the next time I need any work done on my car, I'm coming down to your place and letting Jeff do it! LOL

Currently sunny and 80 and somewhat humid but not 100%!

More wildflowers in the Colorado Rockies:

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2008
4:36 PM

Post #5474464

Celia Thanks!
We always seem to have some project going.
The Kitchen and Hallway got put on hold until we can't garden anymore this year.

Fay popped in about midnight.
Light drizzling rain mostly... we needed that.

Ric
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2008
10:48 PM

Post #5475823

Fay here also with a vengeance. Fading light and so am I.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #5476165

No vengeance here... just a gentle rain.
In fact we could use a few days of rain like this.
Supposed to he hot and humid tomorrow.
We may get a little more rain on Friday.

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2008
3:11 AM

Post #5476842

Oh, boy! Could we use some rain here! Nothing in the forecast until Sunday and even then we might not get anything.

The car is home!!! Yea!!! Everything works and I got to drive her home, so, I took her on the freeway and opened her up. Boy, she LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVES to run!!! LOL
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2008
9:50 AM

Post #5477466

Good morning!

It's raining, 10C (51F) and fairly calm (4 mph from the east). Calm enough to take the umbrella when I walked Hildur Eva to preschool - that does not happen very often ;-) lol

Celia - good news about the car :-) Neat photo of the Salt Lake :-)

Kiska - that is one huge turnip! :-)

Joey - oh dear - two weeks? Hope the humidity will go down! There should be a skunk-deodorizer on the market to neutralize the smell ... I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with a formula yet ... ;-) lol

The handball team arrived home from the Olympics yesterday and recieved a royal welcome. About 50.000 people turned out to greet them in downtown Reykjavik. Afterwards there was a reception in the presidential residence where the president presented them with "the order of the falcon" which is the highest honour a person can receive here. They were all pretty overwhelmed with it all. The celebrations were a bit like Independence Day : http://www.mbl.is/mm/frettir/innlent/2008/08/28/landslidid_kemur_heim_myndir/

No luck on the violin front yet ... narrowed it down to one of the three available used violins, but I'm not really happy with that one either so I'll have to look at some new ones as well ... the store doesn't have them yet ... might arrive today or tomorrow. There is a downside to living in a small country ;-) Seems too often that I need to get on a plane to find what I'm looking for ;-)

Celia - the cliff in the last photo is actually the far side of a long fizzure - here's a look "inside" ;-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2008
10:13 AM

Post #5477495

Joey I hope Jack looses that stink soon! Poor thing, he doesnt understand! Gloria was in 85.
Kiska That is the biggest turnip Ive ever seen! Not a fan of the turnip, but do love the greens.
Celia Thats a great shot of the Great Salt Lake
Ric Hope you get more rain soon.
Dyson How are you holding up?
Celia LOL! WoooooooHoooooooo on the ride home! I have to do that to mine once in a while cleans out the carb. Hope you get some rain soon too.
Rann I heard the team was going to receive the Order of the Falcon. That is a great link. Those young men cleaned up nicely for the President! Beautiful picture of the fizzure. I can empathize with you about having to travel to purchase what you need. I really dont like to leave our little paradise to take care of business. If I have to leave I generally go to St. Marys, GA because I cant stand the drive in to Jacksonville.

76.6 F / 24.8 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 71 F / 22 C
Pressure: 29.86 in / 1011.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 78 F / 25 C
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
Clouds: Few 1300 ft / 396 m
Scattered Clouds 6000 ft / 1828 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Now
Through 730 am...areas of fog and low clouds are expected. Visibilities will generally be 3 to 5 miles...with several locations having visibilities below 1 mile near Brunswick...Alma... Jesup...Homerville...Douglas...Waycross and Live Oak. Motorists should use caution and use low beam headlights...be on the lookout for sudden changes in visibility.

Today
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog in the morning. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 90. Northwest winds 5 mph shifting to the southeast 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 40%.

Ah yes, Summer is back and with a vengeance! I found out that my Queen of the Night is really a http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/32526/
Oh, well, it's just a beautiful as a Queen of the Night! I'll have my pictures posted to the plant files.

Gary is doing ok. He has another treatment tomorrow. Had the white cell booster yesterday which means he'll probabaly be stuck in the hospital all this Labor Day weekend. Seems this happens during every long weekend we get. His spirit is high, never a bad day. He'll be off meds for about 10 days then back on.

Hooker's Orchid Cactus...hmmm not really into the name! I don't know if it will bloom again this year. I really hope it does since we stay warm for so long.

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2008
3:53 PM

Post #5478602

Rann, thanks for that fizzure picture. We don't get out nearly enough with my bad feet. So, thank you for the travel pics!

Thank you, everyone! LOL

Sharon, the ride was awesome! Does Gary get out much? Besides the hospital, I mean? He could so use a vacation from all of this. You, too! Beautiful flower. I hope it blooms again for you, too.

66F with 85 for later.
Feels like: 66F

Dewpoint: 38
Humidity: 35%
Sunrise: 6:51 AM
Sunset: 8:04 PM

Weather station says this...

"BECOMING WET AND UNSEASONABLY COOL DURING THE UPCOMING HOLIDAY WEEKEND...

A MOIST AND UNSEASONABLY COOL PACIFIC STORM SYSTEM WILL MOVE INTO THE GREAT BASIN (that's us) DURING THE LATTER HALF OF THE UPCOMING HOLIDAY WEEKEND. WIDESPREAD SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS CAN BE EXPECTED BEGINNING SATURDAY AFTERNOON ACROSS SOUTHERN UTAH... AS MONSOONAL MOISTURE SPREADS NORTHWARD INTO THE AREA. THIS MOISTURE WILL CONTINUE NORTH SATURDAY NIGHT... AND ENCOMPASS ALL OF UTAH AND SOUTHWEST WYOMING BY EARLY SUNDAY.

AS THE PACIFIC STORM SYSTEM INTERACTS WITH THIS MOISTURE... SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO BECOME FAIRLY WIDESPREAD ACROSS THE REGION BY SUNDAY. SOME OF THESE STORMS MAY BECOME STRONG AT TIMES... AND BE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL.

MUCH COOLER AIR WILL FILTER INTO NORTHERN AND CENTRAL UTAH... ALONG WITH SOUTHWEST WYOMING DURING LABOR DAY... DROPPING SNOW LEVELS TO NEAR 10000 FEET. (we're at 4500 ft. and my DD is at 5300 ft,) SOME ACCUMULATING SNOW CAN BE EXPECTED ABOVE THIS ELEVATION ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF NORTHERN UTAH. AS THIS SYSTEM MOVES EAST OF THE REGION MONDAY NIGHT... CLEAR SKIES MAY ALLOW TEMPERATURES TO FALL BELOW FREEZING ACROSS SOME NORTHERN UTAH VALLEYS"

Monty will sleep anywhere.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

tazzy
Sand Springs, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2008
3:58 PM

Post #5478627

the hot is back in Oklahoma all the rain around us
and it missed me !
we just had sprinkles now back to hot and humid .
schools have AC buses don't
kids coming home par - boiled
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2008
4:26 PM

Post #5478723

Ric: glad you got some gentle rain--that's the best kind! Hope you get some more.
Tazzy, the hot is back here, too. The poor, sweltering kids on the school buses! We have a forecast of 92 for a high today. However, we have had plenty of rain lately. My flowerbeds looked like a jungle when we got home on Monday after 6 days away. I am going to have to do some serious weeding this week-end!
Rann: I would be happy to purchase a child-size violin over here and mail it to you but I have no idea what the shipping costs would be. I have a friend whose DGD is taking violin at school. She purchased a violin locally last year for about $125.00 U.S., if memory serves me correctly. Of course, I have no idea what they would cost in Iceland. That's a neat photo of inside the fizzure. The handball team certainly did receive a grand "welcome home"!
Sharon: I'm with you--not crazy about the name of your orchid cactus but it certainly has a beautiful blossom! I certainly hope Gary doesn't have to spend the entire holiday week-end in the hospital. However, it is great that he "never has a bad day"! What a trouper he is!
Celia: Hooray--your car is back with you and running merrily down the highway, I might add! LOL It seems that Monty never has a bad day, either. He and Gary must be kindred spirits!

Today
Mostly Sunny
High 92F
Precip 20%
Wind: SSW 3 mph
Max. Humidity: 58%
UV Index: 9 Very High
Sunrise: 6:38 AM CT
Avg. High: 89F
Record High: 105F (2000)
Tonight:
Clear
Overnight Low 71F
Precip 20%
Wind: S 3 mph
Max. Humidity: 78%
Sunset: 7:40 PM CT
Avg. Low: 65F
Record Low: 51F (1967)

Mexican Hydrangea (clerodendrum bungeii)

Thumbnail by marsue

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #5478800

Celia Gary gets too tired to be able to do anything for an extended period of time. So no, he really doesnt get to go out much. Our signal he is getting ready to go to the hospital is his eye sockets turn black. They are black as midnight now. As soon as his temperature rises above 101.5 hell be hospital bound for a minimum of 72 hours. I hope you get a nice dose of rain for the system moving through and a nice cool breeze with it! Monty is just adorable!
Tazzy My least favorite type of weatherrainy, hot and humid!
Marsue Pretty Hydrangea!

86.2 F / 30 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 62%
Dew Point: 72 F / 22 C
Pressure: 29.89 in / 1012.1 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 93 F / 34 C
Clouds: Few 2500 ft / 762 m
Mostly Cloudy 4200 ft / 1280 m

Rest of Today
Partly cloudy. A 40% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 90s. Northwest winds 5 mph shifting to the southeast in the afternoon.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2008
5:56 PM

Post #5479044

Hi, everyone! I have a bunch of those Mexican Hydrangeas, too, Marilyn. They are sooo pretty! It's too bad that they are also SOOOO invasive! They grow in the back corner of the yard, where the compost pile is. I occasionally consider moving some to the real garden where people could actually see them - and then I find one halfway across the back yard and am reminded why planting them in good start where they could REALLY take off would be a bad idea. LOL

The first week of school has gone well so far. The little bunny and I have caught the bus every morning with no trouble, and she comes home happy. I wish I knew how she is doing/eating/playing/coping, etc... Last year her teacher sent home a notebook everyday with a little report, which was wonderful! This year she is in a different (and bigger!) class, and her teachers don't do the notebook thing. Katie has a speech delay and can't tell me herself. (sigh...) For the most part, homeschooling the big bunny is going very well. Today we're both grumpy and she isn't obeying well - and I'm not dealing with it well, so we're taking an extended lunch break before doing our last four subjects. I needed more caffeine. (grrrr... deep breaths... counting to 10... better make that 25...) But in the big picture sense, we're doing fine. LOL

It is (relatively) cool here right now, and the humidity is (relatively) low, so I have one of the kitchen windows open. It's so nice to have a little fresh air!! I'll have to close it later as the day gets hotter. We're keeping an eye on Tropical Storm Gustav, which is supposed to be a hurricane later today and is heading into the Gulf.

Lots of ((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))) to Gary and to all of you, Sharon. We're still praying for him!!

Thank you, all of you, for all of the photos and posts. You make for a great lunch break! ^_^

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:53am CDT (53 min ago)
Temperature 89 F 32 C
Dew Point 73 F 23 C
Humidity 60%
Pressure 29.93 in 1013.6 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir N 350
Ceiling 3000 ft 914 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 98 F 37 C
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 75.0F / 23.9C

Today Partly cloudy. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning. A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 90s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #5479414

Afternoon my friends.
The thunder's first boom made me jump two feet awhile ago.
83.3 F / 28 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 76 F / 24 C
Wind: 5.8 mph / 9 km/hVariable
Wind Gust: 9.6 mph / 15 km/h
Pressure: 29.71 in / 1006.0 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 92 F / 33 C
Clouds: Few 4500 ft / 1371 m
Mostly Cloudy 6000 ft / 1828 m
It gets really cool when it rains out, inside.
I am enjoying your pictures and chat.
I have a similar plant Mar, but it's called Bleeding Heart Vine.
It pops up every 2 feet.
In Florida what not to plant is far more important that what you can plant.
;)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #5479565

Too much to comment on. I'll highlight a few.

Sharon, Sugar, glad you came thru it all with just a mess.

Kelli, a big belated Happy Birthday. Hope the sun was out :o)

Jack Jack Jack.

Kwanjin, hope the wind won't blow smoke your way.

Marsue, we saw one of those windmill blades too. Incredibly huge!!

Sharon, Gary is such a trooper.

Nice pictures everyone!

Today is my 32 year anniversary! We woke to thunder and lightning around 4:00 am and got 2 & 2/10'' by 7:30 am. Right now the grass is absolutely dry. That doesn't happen very often! The garden is wet, but not real muddy. It's a good day!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2008
8:09 PM

Post #5479583

Happy Anniversary, Sally!!! ^_^
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2008
8:10 PM

Post #5479590

LOL, Sidney "on what not to plant", etc.
Marylyn, my Mexican Hydrangea is in a lasagna bed that we started last autumn and it is popping up babies everywhere which I am going to have to pull up. I am going to have to move it to clay soil so it won't reproduce so rapidly! I have two more in another flower bed in front that is mostly clay soil and they aren't growing nearly as fast as the one in the lasagna bed--it must be all that horse manure! LOL Hope the rest of yours and the big bunny's day is more pleasand and more productive for both of you. Could you request that the little bunny's teacher send you a report at least once a week?

Currently overcast and 91F. I have been cleaning house so I haven't had time to poke my head outside to see what the humidity is.

Butterfly feeding on a coneflower--Painted Lady, I think.

edited to add; "HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, SALLY (AND YOUR DH)!

This message was edited Aug 28, 2008 3:12 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #5480506

It has been overcast here for two days. Today we had rain - falling from the sky. It rained off and on all day - compliments of TS Fay. The rain gage measured.20 of an inch. Don't laugh, we were glad for it. Radar shows the storm has moved out from our area. Maybe next time... I will hook up the soaker hose around the tomatoes again tomorrow.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #5480857

Good Evening! Well, we got a little more rain today, but not near as much as yesterday! - 1 1/2" :D Wonderful! :D Se_eds, Sorry that you didn't get as much as I had thought you would. :( With 2 more storms brewin' - there could be Much more for everybody! :-O We will all watch these next 2 very closely & pray all are safe!
At Dublin...
Fair: 70F
Sunset: 7:56 PM

Sally, Happy Anniversary! LOL Yep...the energizer poochie isn't so stinkie today. God watered him really good yesterday & he got a really good towel-drying from mommy; :D (who washed the towel by itself. :)
Rann, I did go looking on the internet for a remedy & found one...1quart of peroxide, 2TBS. baking soda, & 1 tsp. dish liquid. It worked until the humidity rolled in. :D But today there is no stink at all. :) What a Gorgeous! Pic! What a beautiful walk you must have had! :D
Marylyn, Glad that school is going well. LOL Hang in there! :D You have more "gumption" than I do.! I rootin' for ya all the way! :D I'd say once you 2 get the routine down that it will be smooth sailin'! :D
Sharon, Prayers & hugs for Gary. Chemo is really tough, altho, you know that. Cancer has touched so many of us. Thoughts & prayers for ya... Has he had any more tumor marker tests? I don't know how often they do that. btw, I really am intrigued by your Epiphyllum hookeri ! She is indeed a queen! :D LOL! You have a queen & a lady! ;D
Marsue! I Love the Mexican Hydrangea! Wow! :D Gorgeous Color! :)
Celia, I think that kitties can sleep anywhere, at any time! ;) And Wow! What an aerial view! :-O Love it!
Kiska, What a Humongous! Turnip! :-O I would think one that large is for show, only! I love to eat them, but around here you hope you get to eat them before the deer do. :)

The answer to the trivia is...B
Hurricane Gloria struck North Carolina and the Northeastern United States.

Today's trivia is...
In 1989 this hurricane struck South Carolina and parts of the Caribbean. What was it called?
a) Harry
b) Hugo
c) Henry
d) Herman
(I got to know this one personally! It blew over 100+ year old oaks!)

Nite All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2008
1:28 AM

Post #5480893

Joey: Yep - lots of Live Oaks and big old Pine trees. Bug swaths of them - phfft! - gone. I know the answer of this one for sure, but won't spoil it for those who didn't experience the damage first hand. :)

I've been working too much the past few days, and watching the convention some - so I've been MIA here.
But now...4-day weekend! Yahoooo!

Since TS Fay left us, it's been back to HHH. Humidity's been well into the 90% range all week.

I'm going back and do some catchin' up now.

Deb
(The only one of 3 achillea in my garden that's re-bloomed.)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2008
1:48 AM

Post #5480988

Joey that 1989 Hurricane was named (b) Hugo and came right thru Charlotte.
Big Pin Oaks swayed like willow trees.
What a mess.
Well, we didn't get a trace this afternoon.
Sidney
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2008
2:58 AM

Post #5481242

We were in NC when Hugo was ramping in...
We hightailed it home...

Cloudy this morning them Hot and Humid.
DRY for at least a week the forecasters say...
I've got a 4 day weekend so... we're going to try to get the floor in the FPL...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2008
8:47 AM

Post #5481950

Dark, Heating water on the hot plate to clean-up for work, the water heater quit sometime yesterday - I'll fix it tonight.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2008
9:48 AM

Post #5481999

Good morning!

It's a blustery one today, 11 m/s (24 mph) sustained winds gusting to 19 m/s (42 mph). Not raining at the moment but rain is in the forecast. Partly cloudy now, a few rays of sun peeking out as I'm typing. Hildur Eva wanted to stay home today because it was "too windy" to go to school ... no such luck ;-) lol Current temp. 12C (53F)

Sharon - thanks :-) Yeah, needless to say, shopping trips abroad are popular with Icelanders although I don't think many will be going this fall due to the recession we're in right now. Thoughts and prayers for Gary.

marsue - thanks for your offer, but a violin is something you have to buy in person. The new violins arrive next week and I'm going to check them out before I decide what to do. We will be traveling to Paris the week after next and I'm very tempted to put off choosing a violin until we get back in case I get a chance to shop for one while we're there... it's a slim chance since we'll be spending most of the time in Disneyland. Not sure there will be much enthusiasm to use the vacation time to go hunting for a violin ... sigh.

Marylyn - hang in there :-) I can emphathize since I have to help Selma practice her violin every day (and she's grumpy and uncooperative just about every day ...so it's always a struggle) , but I could not handle homeschooling her (not an option here anyway) - don't know how you do it, but you have all of my respect :-)

Joey - glad Jack is smelling better :-) Thanks - We had a great time :-)

This is what was at the end of that walkway in the fizzure: like last year, the waterfall is very small due to lack of rain this summer. If this fall will be anything like last year's it'll have doubled in size in a few weeks. Sorry about the glare, the sun was in the "wrong place" ;-)

Have a great day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2008
11:33 AM

Post #5482112

Marylyn Im with Rann, can little bunnys teacher do a weekly update? LOL at the grumpy comment! Thank you for the prayers. Garys temp was up last night to 100.5, but he made it through the night without going higher.
Sidney The thunder boomed so loud at work (South end) yesterday I jumped too! The rain came down hard and fast, but there was very little rain central island where I live. A friend gave me a butterfly bush last yearnew ones pop up ever now and then in different areas of the lawn.
Sally Congratulations to you and your DH on your anniversary! 32 years WOW!
Marsue If I poke my head outside to check the humidity my hair goes Pooof! Pretty butterfly and coneflower!
Se_eds Congratulations on the rain! No laughing here. Any rain after a drought is wonderful and I bet the plants just loved it.
Joey Burn the towel! LOL! Gary has a blood test today, but that all depends on how he is feeling today. Usually once a month or so on the tumor marker test. I got to know hugo personally as well. Pretty pansy!
Deb - Ohhh, you get 4 days off? I cant complain with 3! Lovely achillea. Are they smallish flowers?
Ric Who is your kitty? He/shes beautiful!
Dyson Good Morning!
Rann People arent shopping much here either. Beautiful fizzure picture even with the sun in the wrong spot! LOL! I like the colors that came through.

75.9 F / 24.4 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 69 F / 20 C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.89 in / 1012.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 77 F / 25 C
Clouds: Few 7500 ft / 2286 m
Scattered Clouds 10000 ft / 3048 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog in the morning. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 90. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

NOID rose

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2008
11:36 AM

Post #5482116

Just got an update on Gary from his mom. He temp is a 90.1 YAY! Thank God for Tylenol!

Here is the back side of E. Hookeri

This message was edited Aug 29, 2008 9:10 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2008
12:55 PM

Post #5482336

Sally,
Did you get high speed internet for your anniversary? I swear the picture of you I have made me think you might be 32.
Happy Anniversary!
Cloudy and cooler.
76º with showers forecast.
Sun is out in spurts.
;)

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 29, 2008
3:17 PM

Post #5482938

Sally, Happy Belated Anniversary, I hope you had a great party!
Kelli, Happy Belated Birthday...sorry I wasn't here lately!
My DD came home for a few days on vacation with her BF and we had a great time, but I had to cook a lot, go places with them, but it was fun anyway!
Here we are all the family at lunch.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #5483017

Good morning, everyone.

The fire is officially contained and should be out by tonight. They've been fighting it since Monday. We're a good ways away and were in no danger. We've had several fires lately with all the dry grasses. Trains go by and start them, people throw their cigarettes out the car window...They try to keep things cut down or watered but we just came out of a 7 year drought 2 years ago and are still trying to conserve water.

Yea, for Gary! He's such a sweetheart. Those flowers of yurs, Sharon, are beautiful.

Sharon, your rose is the color of the shirt I'm wearing today. Very pretty.

Wow, Rann. You give us a little geography lesson every day. I love it. Thank you.

Lovely flowers, all.

Ric, what's kitties name?

Well, the geese are flying almost non-stop today. Small groups are now gathering. I love the sounds they make. It's a hopeful sound in the spring but now it's kind of sad. Summer is winding down despite what the thermometer says. There's a bird refuge not too far from us that we'll be going to soon. The wildlife there is quite diverse. Foxes, skunks, feral cats, deer and antelope. Seagulls, plovers, ibis, geese, swans, stilts, loons, avocets, grebes, pelicans and many more make their homes in the riparian areas. It;s been a couple of years and will be fun with the new camera.

61F with 88 for later.

Barometer: 30 in ↑
Dewpoint: 40
Humidity: 46%
Wind: 8 mph SSE
Sunrise: 6:52 AM
Sunset: 8:03 PM

Back to work today. Oh, well.

This message was edited Aug 29, 2008 9:38 AM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2008
4:19 PM

Post #5483197

Good morning! Thanks for the encouragement. ^_^ This morning I have replenished my caffeine supply and Joy got up on the right side of the bed, so we're having a much better day. LOL Asking the teachers for a weekly report is a great idea. I wonder if I make up a little checklist thing and send it with her, if they will fill it out and send it back... I'll e-mail them and ask. :-)

I'm glad the fire is under control, Celia!!

Yayy, Gary!

It looks like you were all having a great time, Adina. :-)

I love the flower pictures. My epi looks a lot like that, too, Sharon. Maybe it's also a Hookeri.

Nothing is new weather-wise. Keeping a close eye on Gustav, who is getting big and is heading roughly our way.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 10:53am CDT (25 min ago)
Temperature 88 F 31 C
Dew Point 72 F 22 C
Humidity 58%
Pressure 29.98 in 1015.4 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir ENE 60
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 95 F 35 C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 75.0F / 23.9C

Rest of today Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 90s. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

Off to do homeschool! :-)

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #5483864

Great photos everyone! Gotta run. The newlyweds whose wedding we attended last week in Colorado will be here in a couple of hours and will be staying with us until tomorrow afternoon or Sunday morning. They have been honeymooning in the Branson, MO area and will return to Colorado on Sunday.
Everyone have a good holiday week-end here in the States. I'll be back after the company leaves.
Today
Isolated T-Storms
High 92F
Precip 30%
Wind: N 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 64%
Sunrise: 6:39 AM CT
Avg. High: 88F
Record High: 107F (2000)
Tonight:
Scattered T-Storms
Overnight Low 71F
Precip 40%
Wind: NNE 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 85%
Sunset: 7:38 PM CT
Record Low: 50F (1967)

Another view of the Painted Lady BF

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 29, 2008
8:50 PM

Post #5484129

Thank you all for the belated birthday wishes. Adina, I'll pretend that your family was celebrating my birthday. ;-)

Rann, it's easy to take the train from Paris Disneyland into Paris itself. What hotel will you be staying in? We stayed in the Newport when DH had his conference there. The hotel itself is nice but the room was very basic. The grounds are beautiful. The kids will have so much fun!

Marsue, I saw a painted lady yesterday. If I see any "lady", it's usually the west coast lady, but I'm pretty sure that one was a painted lady. The butterflies were going bonkers over the lantana yesterday - a painted lady, several gulf fritillaries, and some skippers.

Marylyn, I'm glad the little bunny was excited to go to school. I've heard of kids who like school but I never knew any - or at least no one admitted it back in my day. It seems my school district was very strict. I've talked to other people who were in grade school at the same time as me but in other parts of the country and mine was more strict.

We went hiking today but it ended up being hotter than what we expected so we didn't go as far as we had originally planned. If I knew it was going to be that hot, I would not have gone at all.

Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on August 29, 2008
98 F / 37 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 31%
Dew Point: 63 F / 17 C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the ESE
Pressure: 29.71 in / 1006 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 100 F / 38 C

The only pictures I took were a couple for the Plant Files. This is coffeeberry. That's just a name. I don't think there is anything edible or drinkable about it.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2008
9:14 PM

Post #5484206

[quote]Marylyn, I'm glad the little bunny was excited to go to school. I've heard of kids who like school but I never knew any - or at least no one admitted it back in my day.[/quote]
I think most preschoolers and kindergarteners like school. It's when the kids get old enough to be mean (about 2nd grade) that the problems usually start.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 29, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #5484436

I don't really remember how I felt about school when I was in kindergarten. I guess I liked it o.k., but all-in-all preferred doing my own thing.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2008
11:35 PM

Post #5484751

Kelli - we considered the Newport but decided on a hotel just outside the grounds I can't recall the name of ... dream castle something. The girls REALLY liked the sound of that ;-) lol We'll be taking the train to Paris to see the mandatory sights - not sure there'll be time to go hunting for a violin though ;-) We'll see. We'll be staying for 5 days so maybe if they get fed up with the parks (is that even possible?? ) ... lol They're counting the days until we leave (sept. 8th). After Paris we'll be spending a week in Spain, hopefully soaking up some sun. About school - Selma couldn't wait to go back, she was so fed up with being home all day. She's in 5th grade. Now school here is nothing close to being strict so maybe that's got something to do with it. Kids call their teachers by their first name and are very relaxed around them (maybe too relaxed sometimes... ;-)) Her class went berry picking on Tuesday and made jam to bring home with them. They brought home their first homework assignments today - they get a package on Friday to return the following Friday.

Sharon - glad Gary is doing well :-)

Celia - you're welcome ;-) lol Can't wait for photos from the bird refuge, sounds great :-) Beautiful sunset :-)

Adina - nice to see you back :-)

Another photo from the fizzure: the river runs down it a short distance and then out on to the plain below. Here's the geography lesson for today - this is where the American and Eurasian plates are moving apart from each other ... so Iceland is actually constantly growing a tiny bit ;-)

Have a good night :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2008
11:47 PM

Post #5484801

We got a total of 1/2" of rain over the last two days and nights. Yippee.

Dyson - you remind me so much of my childhood - there were six of us. My dad worked as a fireman on the railroad. He would be gone from home 16-24 hours at a stretch. When he came home he would ask "What broke and needs fixing". Poor guy - yes he took pride in being able to fix what was broke. There are not too many men who can do that anymore.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2008
11:52 PM

Post #5484819

Marsue: That's a wonderful shot of the Painted Lady!

Rann: Isn't that annoying when the sun doesn't cooperate? LOL.
Looks like a fun place to explore.

Adina: Must still be pretty hot there, judging from your lunch photo. - everyone
dressed for heat!
Sharon: Yep. I took a day of leave to extend the holiday weekend to 4 days. It's
going to just shoot by, though! That's good news about Gary! Oh, and yes, the achillea
flowers are tiny.

Well, it's watering time again. Hard to believe after 7" of rain courtesy of TS Fay. Been out planting, transplanting, rearranging, and fighting with wild blackberry vines! Not a bad day for it though.

It was mostly sunny today and in the upper 80s. Nice breeze. Mosquito percentage seems to be down a bit. :)
Deb
(Dahlia bud)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2008
11:53 PM

Post #5484824

Se-eds: We crossed. Congrats on getting some rain!!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2008
12:29 AM

Post #5484963

Dark & we have hot water again.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 30, 2008
1:16 AM

Post #5485188

Yay for hot water! It's almost as essential as electricity, really.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #5485231

Once again we took a trip and got POUNDED by rain... only to come home to the dust bowl...
Once again we were only 40 miles away... LOL!
We did though see a GORGEOUS Double Rainbow and we could see both ends of each.

On a serious note... I see Hurricane Gustav appears to be getting ready to hit the Gulf States.
During Katrina and Rita communications w/ Dave's Members was spotty at best.
Marylyn knows well what I mean.
If any of you here are in a Landfall area... please feel free to us me as a phone contact.
Not just this time but for any reason.
I will be happy to send mesages to Family or Friends or Forums.
Just DMail your wishes and I will send you my Cell #.
I'm also in the Member's Address Book.
Then one simple call can contact dozens of people.
If you have friends or Family in these areas...get a Phone Tree started.
After Katrina one call was all many could make.
Remember ALL they will see is Destruction on TV... you may be fine... but they will be worried.

Well here the problem will be Drought... looks like another 7 days at least before any rain.
Some of the smaller trees, heavily stressed by last year... are already turning colors.

Oh yeah...sorry!
The Cat's name is Spook. She just ghosts around the place...
She's one of Emmit's kittens along w/ Missy (the long-haired white).
She's a bit shy and not a real people cat.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2008
1:04 PM

Post #5486401

Sunny, Bright, Pleasant.

The water heater is repaired, Life is good once again.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2008
1:32 PM

Post #5486476

GREAT News Dyson!
We're looking at replacing our heater next month.
It's getting some age...and a gas fired model... way more efficient ones are out there these days!

Well Hurricane Gustav is now a Catagory 3 Hurricane.
And a slow mover... and the Gulf water is hot... so...
Give your friends and Family down that way a call... find out their plans.
Better early than...

Hot Sunny and Humid here... but still cool nights from the High system up north...
That means we will be pushing back on Gustav... slowing it down...

To you guys down that way... 'Hang on Sloopy!'

Ric

This message was edited Aug 30, 2008 9:32 AM

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2008
3:52 PM

Post #5486948

No time to to comment. I have errands to run before work.

Great pics, everyone! ☺

70F

Barometer: 29.8 in ↑
Dewpoint: 39
Humidity: 32%
Wind: 9 mph SE
Sunrise: 6:53 AM
Sunset: 8:01 PM
UV Index: 8

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2008
4:05 PM

Post #5487000

Sharon: good news about Gary's temp! Did he have to stay in the hospital, after all?
Rann: another good photo of the fizzure. Sounds like your trip to Paris/Disneyland/Spain is going to be a fun time! It's hard for me to imagine Disneyland in Paris! LOL Looking forward to your photos when you return from the trip. I hope you find a violin soon.
Deb: neat Dahlia bud. The Painted Lady was back again yesterday and posing nicely for me. (see photo)
Kelli: the coffeeberry is an unusual looking plant. Do the birds eat the berries?
Ric: Spook is a pretty cat. I had a white cat once. His name was "Meow". He found us when he was just a flea-bitten kitten and we rescued him. He was the best cat I ever had--really affectionate. He would sit in your lap and if you didn't pet him he would gently place one paw on the side of your face as if to say, "I'm here and I need a hug!" LOL
Dyson: Hot water always makes life more pleasant. :o))

You all in Texas, Louisiana, and the rest of the Gulf Coast stay safe if Hurricanes Gustav and Hanna head your way!

Today
Partly Cloudy
High 88F
Precip 20%
Wind: ENE 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 66%
UV Index: 8 Very High
Sunrise: 6:39 AM CT
Record High: 108F (2000)
Tonight:
Partly Cloudy
Overnight Low 68F
Precip 20%
Wind: NE 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 82%
Sunset: 7:37 PM CT
Record Low: 49F (1986)

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2008
4:07 PM

Post #5487007

Celia: we cross-posted. Nice contrast of the yellow/green foliage. Very pretty!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #5487154

Ric - please consider an "on demand" model there is not one here but mine is coming here from the lake.

http://www.boschhotwater.com/

No, I am not working for Bosch - just trying to suggest options.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2008 12:52 PM
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 30, 2008
6:02 PM

Post #5487418

My brother has a dog named Hannah. She's a bit of a hurricane. Hopefully that doesn't mean anything.

It rained in Arizona and that made it humid here. I put the hygrometer outside and it said 70%.

Updated: 10:51 AM PDT on August 30, 2008
82 F / 28 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 52%
Dew Point: 63 F / 17 C
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 29.73 in / 1007 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 83 F / 28 C
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds: Few 8000 ft / 2438 m
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft / 6096 m
(Above Ground Level)

starfish flower

Thumbnail by Kelli

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2008
7:03 PM

Post #5487599

Just plain old hot and humid today. Totally normal August weather.
We were concerned about TS Hanna, but now the models are showing it staying further south.

Everyone along the gulf, I hope you stay safe from Gustav!

Deb
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2008
11:52 PM

Post #5488541

Beautiful day here in Pa. Warm, humid and summery. It looked like it would rain, but didn't. LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #5488877

Ah I see the flies have found the 'Starfish' already!

Hot Humid and Dry...

FINALLY getting some Maters!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 31, 2008
1:26 AM

Post #5488890

Yep, flies are there already and it hardly has any smell at all. (DH said that it smells like the zoo.) Those tomatoes look good.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2008
1:31 AM

Post #5488903

That's the little ones and the oranges.
Here's the Big Guys... not as big as last year but

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2008
6:33 AM

Post #5489789

You all are making me hungry! LOL

We have flood watches over the entire area for the next 24 hours. The wind is mild right now but I've been seeing lightning for the last couple of hours. It will probably kick up overnight and bring the rain. We sooooo need it. We may not get to the bird refuge tomorrow.

(edited because I can't spell ☺)

This message was edited Aug 31, 2008 12:33 AM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2008
12:16 PM

Post #5489991

Kelli: the starfish flower looks like a starfish, for sure!
Ric: Yummm! tomatoes!! We have two tomato plants that are huge. However, they are producing a lot of foliage but not many tomatoes. :o(( Maybe the soil is too rich? (Must be all that horse manure!)
Celia: hope you get some rain but no floods. Neat photo of the clouds. If you turned it upside down it would almost look like the ocean!

With Deb I say: All you DGers on the Gulf Coast, take care and stay safe! It looks as if we will be getting our share of rain from Gustav's aftermath later in the week.

Today
Sunny
High 91F
Precip 20%
Wind: ENE 9 mph
Max. Humidity: 63%
Sunrise: 6:40 AM CT
Record High: 104F (2000)
Tonight
Mostly Clear
Overnight Low 71F
Precip 20%
Wind: E 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 84%
Sunset: 7:36 PM CT
Avg. Low: 64F
Record Low: 57F (1986)

Sharon, like Donkey Ears, my poinsettia is becoming a monster, too. Probably not nearly as big as yours but mine is in a pot and will have to be brought inside later on in the season.

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2008
3:00 PM

Post #5490370

Thank you all for Anniversary wishes!

Seeds, rain is rain, but I wish you had gotten more. Maybe you'll have another chance with two more storms on the way.

Joey, laughing over the towel. There is humor in every situation. Unfortunately not for you. What a pretty little pansey/ violet!

Deb, beautiful Achillea! Does it have a name? I grew the Galaxie sreies and if they don't get pretty next year I'm losing them. 99 cents is not a loss for a packet. Glad I didn't buy plants.

Sugar, is not a trace a yay or rats?

Ric, she's a beautiful cat!

Dyson, hope your water fixes ok. DH was under our sink tracking down a leak this morn. It was dark under there! :o)

Rann, awww, Hildar Eva is so cute! Wow, two girls on violin. Let them know we are proud of them! It's a neat picture of the waterfall! The girls sure are growing up right berfore our eyes.

Sharon, praying for the best for Gary. Gorgeous rose!

Sugar, no high speed yet. Actually we need the whole works. I don't have a printer right now either. Well, thank you. 32 would be nice!!

Adina, you look like you are enjoying your new house! I couldn't get your picture to enlarge and had to stop the page that wouldn't load. I think I jinxed my computer. Thank goodness I use notepad and didn't lose my replies!!!!

Kwanjin, I'm glad the fire is out for you. The refuge sounds neat. We have Cone Marsh where a lot of birds come, and we saw pelicans gathering yesterday. Beautiful sky!

Marylyn, glad your morning was good with the bunny!

Marsue, company, how nice! Lovely butterfly!

Kelli, a small hike is still better than none at all. It's all for your heart! The berries look ripe. Do the wildlife eat them?

Rann, yiour trip sounds exciting. Interesting geography lesson. I would enjoy climbing on the rocks too.

Yay Seeds, Rain! God for your Dad. Mine came home from factory work and headed out to roof barns until dark. He could fix things, but he didn't like to. DH fixes everything!

Deb, I like the side view of the dahlia.

Yay, Dyson's in hot water :o)

Ric, you're a nice helpful guy! Love Spook's name!

Marsue, awww!

Kelli, love the starfish flower!

Nice maters Ric!

Kwanjin, I hope you get rain! Another nice sky!

Marsue, nice poinsetta! Pictures when it turns color!

It was 70* when I logged on. It's 75* now. I skinned tomatoes Friday and turned it into 7 quarts of juice this morn. They all sealed right after they came out. I used the hot canner water in the dishwasher and have a full load of nothing but clean canning jars. Next week we'll be picking pears from a friend's tree and a couple more weeks and we'll be making apple juice. YUM!

Yes, we take our Grandsons to the Cemetary to play :o)

This was a few weeks ago. I don't quite look 32 here :o(

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2008
3:17 PM

Post #5490449

Yes, Mau. It does look like that! LOL Very cool.

BP, you look pretty. They boys a cutie-pies.

74F with 85 for later. Hopefully, we'll get some rain. Last month, (Aug.) we had .64" and the month of July had .84' and June .74'. We need it.
Feels like: 74F

Barometer: 29.5 in ↓
Dewpoint: 48
Humidity: 40%
Wind: 9 mph S
Sunrise: 6:54 AM
Sunset: 8:00 PM
UV Index: 7

Thumbnail by kwanjin

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #5490750

BP: Thanks! That achillea variety is called "Saucy Seduction". :)

Sunny and very hot and humid today, but we're expecting a bit of rain from Gustav's waaaay outer bands. Still keeping an eye on Hanna, as well, since it can't seem to decide which direction to go.

I'm off to procure some topsoil. :)
Deb

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2008
5:08 PM

Post #5490768

Thanks Kwanjin :o)

Deb, that's quite a name, but worth it for the color!

I'm on coffee break before getting outside. The grass is still wet. I planted most of my iris and topped them off with borer control. I think I'll have to wait a couple years for blooms because a lot of the rhizomes are pretty small, sigh, but, they are divided for another few years yay!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2008
5:33 PM

Post #5490850

Sally, cute grandsons and you don't look like a grandma!
Celia: love that red zinnia!
Deb: I believe we will be getting some rain later in the week as a result of Gustav but nothing compared to what our DG friends on the coast will receive. I hope those in New Orleans and surrounding areas have evacuated by now!

Currently sunny and 85 here.

Here's a Painted Lady surrounded by zinnias although she seems to prefer the coneflowers.

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 31, 2008
7:36 PM

Post #5491257

I don' t know what eats coffeeberries but I would guess that coyotes do. They eat a lot of berries. Their poo is full of seeds.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 31, 2008
9:16 PM

Post #5491597

Summer is almost over in Romania, after so much heat and drought. Still, it hasn't been raining much, only a few drops last night after a big storm...today the sun was shinning again, but the temps have dropped to 80...yeah!
Ric, that is so kind of you to be of help for the people in need during the hurricane.
Deb, yes, it was very hot last week and the other 3 weeks before!LOL And this was after my DD and her BF came from Calabria, southern Italy, where it was much more heat...ugh! They were happy to leave to their home in northern Italy, at the Switzerland border, where is more pleasant, even chilly, especially during the night.
Sally, I'm sorry you couldn't open the picture, you should have tried again !
Kelli, yes, we were celebrating your BD and we also had a cake!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2008
1:16 AM

Post #5492290

Billy we played in a Cemetery when we were kids!
Except for the occasional Ghost and that one Zombie it was cool!

Adina helping Friends is what it's all about.
I'm happy to say this time they are all out of the Danger Zone.
Either they got out or are well East, West or North of Gustav's path.
It's due to make landfall at 1 PM EDT tomorrow. And 'only' a Catagory 3.
Dangerous for sure but far less so than the Katrina or Rita.

Save me some Cake! Peaches?

Hot but a mild breeze today here.
We watered heavily and started the floor in the FPR.
Today was the hard slow part.
Lots of figuring cutting and ripping.
The rest 'should' go a lot faster.
Cincinnati's big Fireworks display is going on as I type.
Probably 1/2 million people down there.
Alcohol Free now so much more Family Friendly.
12 miles away... we I can still hear it...

Here's the Foreman quality checking our work...
Ric

This message was edited Aug 31, 2008 9:18 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #5492367

Adina: save me some cake, too! that looks yummy!
Ric: I am quite sure your "foreman" will see to it that you do everything correctly on your project! LOL

Currently dyson dark and 80
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #5492421

Yep every phase was checked out!

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2008
1:58 AM

Post #5492434

Quality Control!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #5492582

Helluu!!! I finally got a chance to get on the puter! We have had it quite hot & muggy the past few days...
At Dublin...
Clear: 73F
Feels like: 73F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Humidity: 88%
Visibility: 4 miles
Wind: 3 mph E
Sunrise: 6:53 AM
Sunset: 7:52 PM

Ric, Wu looks like she knows what she's doing! ;) Foreman, indeed! :D And a pretty one at that! And she poses well! :D
Adina, Your cake looks scrumptious! Save some for me! :D
Kelli, I had no idea that coyotes would eat berries. Around here all you ever hear of them eating is the young live-stock. And Love your starfish flower!
Marsue, The Painted Lady looks gorgeous on your Zenia's. Hope that you will be safe when Gustav blows thru! Your Poinsettia is Huge! It will be Gorgeous this winter! :D
Marylyn, I certainly hope that you will be safe as well!
Sally, Thanks. And actually we have been laughing about the whole situation. I just felt sorry for Jack. He was rather 'mopey'. Your GS's are Precious! Did they have fun playing? LOL I never played in a cemetery before, but DH played among the crypts in Baton Rouge (everything is above ground). I cannot imagine it being very much fun, but he thought that it was. :)
Deb, Love the Dahlia bud! I have one almost like it! ;) Last time I looked...Hannah was headed to Savannah! (they think). But according to DH she's weak because of Gustav. Let's hope that she stays that way!
Sharon, LOL on burning the towel!! :D Actually, he has his own towel! He likes to play tug of war when you dry him! :D What a Gorgeous Rose bud! I am so happy that Gary's temp didn't go too high! :D Hope all has gone well for him over the week end.
Sidney, You're right! He was a Big mess.

I guess you all have gotten the trivia correct! :D It was definitely Hugo!
Hurricane Hugo hit from September 16 to Sept 22nd.

Today's trivia is...
Wind is the most noticeable factor in this city's weather, a factor made more conspicuous by the flatness of the local terrain. The winter brings chilly north or northwest winds as well as periods of rain, freezing rain, and snow. Which city is it?
a) Las Vegas, NV
b) Albuquerque, NM
c) Wichita, KS
d) Phoenix, AZ

Good Night All! Stay Safe!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2008
4:51 AM

Post #5493045

New Thread, Come on over http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/898323/
Joey I'm Guessing c, Wichita, Ks
;)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America