Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: The Invaders: Milkweed: milkweed

Communities > Forums > Article: The Invaders: Milkweed
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Invaders: MilkweedReplies: 2, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardengirl86
Middleboro, MA

August 22, 2008
8:19 PM

Post #5453397

I introduced a milkweed plant into my garden about 5 years ago to attract the Monarch butterfly. It did attract them, but I never saw the caterpillars on them. This year I did get about 30 caterpillars, but they are all milkweed tussock caterpillars. Cute little things and voracious eaters. I watched one eat an entire leaf in a matter of minutes all by itself.

My milkweed has also begun to spread. I am putting in a new garden bed and do not want the milkweed to spread, so I guess I will dig it out at the end of the season. I will replace it with the butterfly weed for the Monarch's.

Thanks for the wonderful article, it did help to put things into perspective.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2008
8:54 PM

Post #5453573

I love the butterfly weed, I want to get it myself, next season.
EleanorZRuch
Hatfield, PA

March 12, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9039440

GardenGirl and Lois, the Common Milkweed in the wild is WONDERFUL. But once it is in the garden it can be dastardly as it tries to take over a whole area. Thanks, Lois, for your alert/alarm about this. Personally I love the bright orange of the Asclepsia Tuberosa - Butterfly Weed.

It was not until an older adult that I found the wonderful fragrance of milkweed in flower. It is kind of similar to a lilac fragrance. Also the seed pods are such fun for making craft items too..like angel wings. During World War II, civilians were directed to collect the pods for potential use in making parachutes supposedly. (Maybe it was a ploy to involve everyone in the war effort?)

But, do beware of their possessive streak in planned gardens!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Invaders: Milkweed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Milkweed oriole 7 Mar 12, 2012 9:10 AM
I'm glad there was a happy ending! carrielamont 19 Mar 12, 2008 7:58 PM
Whew! doccat5 5 Mar 10, 2008 1:56 PM
Thanks! CompostR 0 Apr 15, 2008 12:45 PM
me too! klapot 1 Jul 28, 2008 4:14 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America