New Home in Kentucky, Round Up time!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Thought we needed a fresh new thread.

Not long 'till September 18 & see you all at Prizer Point!

Bernie

We came from;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/821972/

This message was edited Aug 22, 2008 4:37 PM

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Hey Bernie! can't wait to see you!

Crossville, TN

I can't wait to see you either...and have some of Mel's Fudge! LOL Jo...in cottage 4 on Thursday.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Surely with all this roundup talk we can flush Lisa out...? How's it going, girlfriend? We miss you!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi friends!
It has been a while since we've all caught up with each other hasn't it! It is so hard to believe that this summer has come and gone, it seems like a blur. I'm still getting used to Kentucky, in Louisiana summer heat is still in full swing, here..well, you can see and feel fall in the air. The trees are starting to shed their leaves and others are starting to put on their fall colors. It still amazes me.

We've had a good, but very busy summer. The garden was very productive this year, what a blessing to have a freezer full! At the beginning of planting season I helped Melody out with her beautiful garden plot, we planted a well rounded garden at her house. I also planted a smaller garden here, along with a small corn patch. All the gardens did extremely well. I have enough okra, squash, peas, corn and tomatoes to last all winter. I made lots of tomato sauce and salsa. Oh! and apples! I have so many apples. This was my first year to have real apples right off a tree! Couldn't grow them in Louisiana, to hot in the swamps. Last fall the apples didn't come in due to the late freeze.

Hubby has changed jobs. He is now working for the competition, the owner had been "wooing" Jesse for months. A chance meeting between Jesse & the owner lead the man to call Jesse on a weekly basis, asking him to go to work for them. He has a bright future with his new job and we are excited at the possibilities.

We built a really nice patio and have just about finished the goat shed, finally! Money was in short supply, as with most folks these days, so we just took our time building it. It took us over a year to just get the walls up. All that is missing is a walk -in door. The goats will have a better winter this year. We are in the process of re-routing fences.

I was able to go to Louisiana back in May, but haven't been back since. I am about due for a mom hug. We had company from Louisiana for the 4th of July week, some of our best friends showed up. They just loved it here and now they "get it" why we picked Western Kentucky as our new home.

It is so hard to believe that this November we will have been here for 2 years. Time flies.

Thank you all for asking about our crazy lives. I can't wait to see everyone who is coming to the RU. Bernie, it'll be so nice to meet you...

Have a blessed day everyone!

Crossville, TN

Lisa...Sounds like you have really been busy this summer...what a worker you are...I can't wait to see you at the KY RU! Jo

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

WOW Lisa, you have been busier than ever!

Great news that Jesse has a new and better job, goats will have better shelter this winter, you have homegrown food in the freezer, a patio to enjoy, and apples.

Have fun at the RU, greet everyone for me.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow, that's great you have enough veggies put up for the whole winter. Wow! I would love to learn to can, but in the meantime there's no reason we couldn't freeze our surplus tomatoes. The local Freecycle group has a lot of people posting fresh produce to give away once harvest starts coming in. We should get some goodies to freeze this year!

We can't wait to see you! Will Sally's friends Grace and her sister (?? name) be coming along this year? We'd love to see them, even if it's just a day visit while we're down that way for the week. Yep, we're staying at Prizer Point 9/13-9/21 this year!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

hey GW, that is great that ya'll are going to stay for a week. I am thinking we will likely pull up there early too. Jesse will stay at home 'till the weekend, so it'll just be Sally & I...I don't know if Grace & Joy are going to be with us, they are so busy this year.

Jesse poured cement in most of the goat shed today, I put up more tomato sauce. Fun! fun!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, Lisa...

Howie and I were just watching Lord of the Rings/Two Towers and it came to the scene where Gollum brought the rabbits to Frodo and Sam made the stew from them. Of course, it made us think of you and gumbo. *grins*

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BV3GxS2mQfs

For those of you who don't know about this longstanding issue, you can catch up here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/185791/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/352438/

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, look....Lisa, here's yet another use for spuds: Autochrome photography!

http://flickr.com/photos/george_eastman_house/sets/72157606226772243/
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/autochromes.html#

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

funny :0)

I'm sitting here tonight thankful that I no longer live near the coast...it is almost 3 years since Katrina made landfall. I am closely watching Gustav churning. I don't like the path the computer models are projecting. The center track has it coming into Terrebonne/Lafourche parish.

http://weather.wwltv.com/auto/wwltv/tropical/tracking/at200807_model.html

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, that stinks. :( I'm really thankful you guys are not there, too.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I certainly don't miss the constant worry but I do still worry about my family. My son is just now getting back on his feet from Katrina. He and his family were homeless for 6 months before he could get a FEMA trailer and they lived in it for a year and a half. They bought a small house and moved it to his property and have been slowly building onto it as his funds will allow. Please keep them in your prayers.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Lisa and Cajun, I am praying for your families as well as for all of the people in the path of the hurricane. How people live under such threats year after year is impossible to imagine. May the good Lord watch over each and every one of them.

Crossville, TN

Amen to Elena's Prayer....Jo

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thank you both so much. It looks like the track has it going in right near Terrebonne Bay which is exactly where we lived before moving to Ky. If it doesn't change that will put my family on the "wet" side of the storm.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Keep us informed please, Cajun. I will continue to pray that they will all be ok.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

It looks bad for our families and friends doesn't it Cajun... Mom and the rest of the family have evacuated. Many of my friends are leaving this morning. This is all so sad. Terrebonne taking on cat.3 storm head on will be catastrophic due to coastal erosion. There are no more barrier islands. I'm so glad we are now living up here on the farm but its going to be long days ahead for me. Cell phones are already jammed and not working.

What are your families plans?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Just watching the TV. Some report said this will be the most powerful every storm to hit the US. So does that mean worse than Katrina ?

Let's hope for the best.

Bernie

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Lisa, I was watching the weather channel this morning, it sure doesn't look good. I'm glad to hear that your family has evacuated, I was thinking they might stay and try to ride it out. You know we'll be praying. You and Jessie were smart to move when you did.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Lisa
Good to hear your family has evacuated. My family all live north of Lake Ponchatrain but Katrina gave them an awful beating. I still have many friends who are as close or closer than family that live down the bayou and I woryy about them. Haven't heard from them. My Mom and Dad have evacuated to north La. My DS and his family are staying put. He was on his way to HD for plywood to close up his windows this morning. He has been cutting trees away from his house for days. DD is down there working and she has gone to the inlaws who are also staying put. They don't have to worry about water where they are but the winds are everywhere. Please keep them in your prayers. Looks like this will be a big one.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

(((Lisa & Cajun))) At least this time, people are evacuating. They're all in my prayers. I've not checked - when is it supposed to make landfall?

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

My prayers for you folks that are in the path of this wild storm!

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Lisa,

Jerry asked about you and Jessie this morning while he was watching all the storm info on the TV. He said he was so glad that you had moved and wanted an update on what you've been up to....so I told him some of the stuff you mentioned above.

It is so nice to not have to worry about you all down there at this time. :-)
I haven't seen anything about Redrose or her cousin. Her name escapes me at the moment. I hope everyone will be safe.

Just saw a post from MiniSchnuz where she says she is in Baton Rouge staying at her sisters house with her mom also. So glad to here she is out of harms way.

BTW, we miss you all and sure wish we could have come to the KY RU again this year.

Donna

This message was edited Aug 31, 2008 9:36 AM

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Still time, Donna...Still time..... :) Boy, would we love to see you two!

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Kim,

Boy, do we have the time, just not the finances at this time with the price of flying and gas.

You sure got a picture of me, that's for sure. Wish I looked that good right now. lol Does Stacey still have that kitty? Bet she does.

We just celebrated our 41st. Anniversary last week and went to Bubba Gumps for a nice lunch. Here is a pic of us from that day. We have both put a little weight on and have plenty more wrinkles. lol

I hope you all have a fantastic time and that the weather stays good for you too.

Lots of hugs,
Donna

Thumbnail by SoCal
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

You both look fine, Donna! Happy anniversary!

Crossville, TN

Ditto from me!! Jo

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi Donna!
It is so good to see both of you again. I sure wish ya'll were heading this way for the RU. I can still remember how much Jerry enjoyed those frog legs..Do you think ya'll will ever make it this way again?

CajuninKY-have you heard from any family members yet? I talked to one of my friends this morning as the feeder bands were coming in. They live in the Bayou Blue area and decided to stay. We are glued to the computer watching wwl news. They show Gray. I wish they would give more updates on Grand Isle and Cocodrie where the eye is making landfall. I'm glad Gustav has weakened.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I ran across this link, Lisa. I hope it helps --
http://www.maroonspoon.com/wx/gustav.html

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Just got off the phone with my MIL and they are all doing fine. getting lots of rain but not bad winds. Good thing the storm sped up up fast and didn't linger over warmer waters. Remember Juan?

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Cajun,
I've been on the phone off and on with a friend of mine who stayed, they were having some pretty strong winds, but little rain..just the opposite. Her nephew's home blew away, he lives off of Grand Calliou Rd. The New Civic Center has some damage and the new McDonalds got flattened. I think the East Side of Houma took a good hit. I also just talked to my sister, they are in Baton Rouge and they were getting some pretty strong winds. Of course, everyone is out of power. I am soooooo glad I'm not having to deal with all this! Kentucky is a wonderful place to live!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Cajun and Lisa, I am so glad that your families are alright. Praise the Lord!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Here is just a small picture of what life is like after a storm. Thought it might interest a few who have never been through a hurricane.

Parish updates as of 4:15pmCDT

Assumption Parish:

Residents are allowed to return to Assumption Parish, though it is not
recommended by parish officials to do so.

Confirmed estimates show that power will not be restored for at least 4-6
weeks, officials said, and food, water and fuel will be a problem. It is
high encouraged by officials that you find other living arrangements
outside of the parish.

All roads are open, but are extremely unsafe, since trees and power lines
are down throughout.

There is a curfew in effect nightly at 8 p.m.

Jefferson Parish:

Jefferson Parish residents are not allowed back into the parish until
businesses and and first responders are set up and prepared for them to
return.

The parish is implementing a two-phase re-entry plan. Tier 1 is made up of
critical businesses, contractors and first responders. Tier 2 is made up
of those businesses necessary to prepare for the return of residents, such
as groceries, pharmacies, gas stations and banks.

Both tiers are going to begin returning simultaneously Tuesday at noon.

Tier 1 and Tier 2 agencies and businesses must have "re-entry placards,"
which are credentials allowing them to enter and move about in the parish.

After Tier 1 and Tier 2 re-entry is complete, the parish will be open to
re-entry for residents.

A strict 24-hour curfew is in place throughout the parish, and residents
are instructed to stay inside their homes or face the possibility of
arrest.

Parish public schools and Archdiocesan parochial schools in Jefferson
Parish will remain closed through the end of this week.

Orleans Parish:

Right now New Orleans city officials are assessing the damage of Hurricane
Gustav, and there has been no set time table for when residents will be
able to return. Residents will not be allowed inside of the parish until
at least Wednesday, if not later.

Tier 1 people, such as responders and predetermined subcontractor workers,
are allowed in Tuesday with proper identification.

Orleans is under curfew from dusk until dawn until further notice.

Plaquemines:

Plaquemines Parish residents are not allowed back into the parish and no
timeline has been set for them to return yet. That decision will be made
in the coming days by parish officials, who are still assessing damages
and services.

Only those with special passes will be allowed into the parish,
Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser said, and family members are
not allowed to tag along into the parish with those who have passes.

Plaquemines Parish is under lockdown and a curfew is in place from 8 p.m.
to 6 a.m.

St. Bernard:

In what St. Bernard Parish President Craig Taffaro calls a "very
ambitious" plan to return, officials are hoping that they will allow
residents back into St. Bernard as early as sometime Wednesday morning.

Taffaro said that public service workers began cleaning up Monday night,
with Entergy officials working on the ground to restore power. He warned
that residents who do opt to return early should expect to not have full
power or services, but that their homes are safe and secure.

St. Bernard Parish is under a 24-hour curfew until further notice.

St. Charles:

Residents are not allowed back into St. Charles Parish until Wednesday.
Tier 1 and Tier 2 are allowed entry until then.

A curfew is in place in St. Charles Parish from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. until
further notice.

St. John:

St. John residents are not allowed back into the parish until further
notice.

There is a curfew in place from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. until further notice.

St. Tammany:

St. Tammany residents will be able to reenter St. Tammany Parish Wednesday
at 6 a.m.

"If citizens of St. Tammany want to return tomorrow, please feel free to
return tomorrow morning. Remember that there may be no electricity at your
home. If you return, bring food, water, fuel, ice, flashlights and other
supplies," said St. Tammany President Kevin Davis. 'The electric companies
are working hard to restore power but it may take five or more days for
full restoration. The utilities in some areas were hard hit."

There is a curfew in effect from dusk until dawn until further notice in
the Parish. In Bogalusa, however, officials lifted the curfew Tuesday
morning.

Public Information Officer Kevin Foltz of the Slidell Police Department
said that in Slidell the sewer system is not working due to power outage.
That means you cannot flush your toilet if you live in the city.

Tangipahoa:

Tangipahoa Parish is now open for re-entry.

All major roadways are open and crews are working to open numerous parish
roadways.

Officials say to proceed with caution due to down power lines and trees.

There is currently a mandatory curfew in effect from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.

90 percent are still without power in the parish, though there are no
reports of flooding. There is a voluntary boil advisory in effect. Just
boil water for one minute in a clean container. You can also mix thirty
drops of unscented liquid chlorine laundry bleach with one galon of water
and let stand for 30 minutes before drinking.

Other openings include the Tangipahoa Parish Landfill at 10 a.m. Wednesday
and the Tangipahoa Parish Courthouse Thursday.

Terrebonne and Lafourche Parish:

Terrebonne officials said that the tentative plan is to let residents back
in Friday at noon.

Lafourche residents can return 4 p.m. Tuesday Sept. 2 to their homes, but
it must be noted that the parish is completely without power for the next
three to four weeks. Lafourche's 911 system is restored

No major flooding or levee breaks have been reported in either parish.

Lafourche residents are asked to conserve water.

There is a 24-hour curfew in effect in Terrebonne.

Washington Parish

Residents are welcome to return home to Washington Parish but could still
be without power, said Parish President Richard Thomas.

There are 4400 residents in Washington Parish without power. 4000 of those
are Entergy users, while there are 400 CLECO users.

All state roads in the parish are open as well as most parish roads, but
watch out for trees and power lines.

Gas stations should have fuel by Wednesday.

The curfew in the parish has been lifted.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow, and that was after "only" a category 2? :S

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Well, I've learned a long time ago to never say never. I always said mom would never see my place..I knew she would never travel to KY that her health would not permit and she being set in her ways would never leave her recliner.

She is here. It was so good to see her...

We left yesterday just before noon to meet my sister and brother in law to pick up mom, her dog and her blind cat. (another chapter in my book of life..grin) We made a 13 hour trip and got back pretty late.

My sister had to get mom out of Louisiana, they have no idea when they will have power again. We had to weigh out the lesser danger and getting her here won. I am finding out already how I am not ready handicapped living. We will have to make a lot of modifications. I don't know how long she will be with us.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We had the same thing after Bertha's car accident in 1999. Lots of modifications to house, car, & life. As the days go by, you just kind of go with the flow. Don't even think about it anymore, it's just an everyday thing now.
We had to make a new entry into the house & that turned into a remodeled kitchen! We did a little at a time.
I'm happy for you that you get to see your mother. I've never been more than a couple hours away from any of my close family, so can't comprehend not seeing them for a long time.
See you soon,
Bernie

Crossville, TN

What great news! I hope we get to meet her at the KY RU...give her a hug for me. Jo

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Lisa, life is full of surprises and this is a big one! A while back you were saying that you were due for a mom hug again. I was reading about people not being allowed to go home, and wondering what your mom's situation was, if she would stay where she had gone for the storm, or be able to go back home. But I didn't dream that she would come to your house! I can just see all the major adjustments. I'll be praying for you!

Does your sister know if their house was damaged? How are your friends who stayed and rode out the storm?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images