-
AuthorContent
Laflora
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2008
3:24 PM

Post #5456768

Has anybody grown White Acre Peas? I'm assuming cultivation is the same as for other Southern peas, but just thought I'd ask. I'm also going to post in the Heirloom forum. I'm going out to plant them right now.

Thanks!
Gerri, glad to see sun again after four days of Fay
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #5456889

No different than any other southern pea. Little more tedious for shelling out green shellies but that is about it. Don't know how they will do with short daylight. Grow them in the summertime up here. A leading commercial cultivar for canning in this area, until NAFTA.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Laflora
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 25, 2008
1:30 AM

Post #5463422

Thanks. I love the flavor -- I buy them canned, distributed by McCall Farms in Effingham, S.C.
Am hoping there's enough time to squeak in a crop in my tiny vegetable garden.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #5474241

I would gladly drive all the wa to Ga, and shell those peas just to get my hands on them. YUM. I just pulled mine down, they were growing and blooming, but no peas. Days getting shorter, I needed the room for some fall crops
Laflora
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 8, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #6110518

gardenglory, I guess it's really true that S.R. 40 is the dividing line. I was lucky enough to pull in a small crop (small garden) in late fall, but my late fall temps are in the 80s with lots of daylight -- even though I'm only about 2 hours south of you. Yes, those peas are truly YUM. I'll post a pic when I get on the computer that has the photo files.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6111548

I did know it at the time, but I maybe could have gottne a few. I had red rippers that produced beautifully right up till frost. This year im planting them even earilier. Last year I planted in July.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America