Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

1946 two ton truck

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Beginning restoration of 1946 Chevy two-ton. By serial number, # 264 built after civilian production resumed after WWII.

Thumbnail by patrob
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Very cool! Is the bed original? Are you restoring for use or show? We will look forward to following your progress.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Restoring for occasional use on ranch, mostly for parade use. Bed is not original. Has a steel bed now, with a trailer knob in the center.
Will keep original 116 cui motor, but will convert to 12 volt ignition system. Right now working onwheel bearings andbrakes. Motor turns over, but will not fire. Mechanic is kinfolk, works on it when regular work gets slow.
Robert

w

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Will you restore the original bed also? Was it slatted wood?

My husband has a 1940 International pick up ~ 1/2 ton. It appears from the outside to be original but has a newer engine, running gear, a/c, power steering. It is currently sitting as he drained the gas needing to replace the fuel tank sending unit. The only other major mechanical work he wants done is disc brakes. It is great fun to take out for a ride. The really elderly folks always come up and say I remember those. My _____ ( fill in the blank ) had one or I learned to drive one like that or... The older vehicles are a real conversation starter. We have newer old vehicles and they attract different age groups. You will get hours of pleasure from your new old truck! Please keep us posted.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

The bed originaly was wood, but I will leave the bed as it is now. It works well for hauling hay or other feed. My sons used it to haul hay while they were in high school, back in the late '80s. Made their spending money in the summers. Usually could get 75 bales a load from field to barn, at $.30 abale. Stayed in great shape, and did not need to lift weights for fdootball in the fall!
Robert

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

if eveyone did the same thing as everyone else,wouldnt life b boring...im running along the same themes as you. 56 inter 308 c.i turbo 400 auto,4 wheel discs,flat tray,to go to the market and hardware store[very fast].....do,what you think is best,that way it becomes"o"riginal

Lick Creek, IL(Zone 6b)

Patrob that thing is a pure beauty. That style is hands down the best style Chevy ever had for its trucks. What a great project. Will you have to get some one to pour new babbet bearings or are yours still good? Those old 216 engines were pretty tough though I always favored 235's...easier to get parts for. Sure hope you get lots of photos on it's way back to glory. Steve

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.