Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Pacific Northwest Gardening: Bougainvillea in Oregon??!!

Communities > Forums > Pacific Northwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Pacific Northwest GardeningReplies: 15, Views: 121
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kimanglin
Springfield, OR

August 25, 2008
1:05 AM

Post #5463321

Hello, I'm a newcomer to this site and I love it!

My hubby brought home a bougainvillea yesterday and I'm not optomistic! I saw them at Home Depot here in Eugene in the spring and was surprised but they were gorgeous at the time (having just come out of a greenhouse somewhere I'm sure). Talked to my mother who says theirs died almost immediately a few years back. They are in Southern Oregon. He bought it at a very reputable and dependable local organic nursery and I'm a little surprised. Didn't want to dampen his enthusiasm though. He has loved them since the first time we went to Baja. Can this actually grow in our climate. I'm in the Willamette Valley in Eugene. Any advice? It's still in its' 6-inch pot.

Thanks, Kim
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #5463527

It's an annual here. You'll need to bring it in in the winter. I did successfully grow one inside in a pot for awhile, but got tired of getting caught on the thorns. And, of course, it couldn't grow to the size it wanted to inside . . .

got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #5463663

I killed 2 or 3 of them when I lived in Philomath. I love them but I just look and wish when I see them at Home Depot. I'm not paying what they want for them with my luck.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2008
3:31 AM

Post #5463898

Hey got2B - when did you live in Philomath? I lived in Corvallis from 81 - 85. My brother's a doc in Philomath - Dave Grube? Do you know him?
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2008
3:44 AM

Post #5463957

Hubby and I moved there in 2001 and out in 2005. I lived in Corvallis from 94-01. Hubby and I still work in Corvallis though - we just commute now. Sorry, don't know Dr. Grube - I kept my doctors in Corvallis, but my hubby says he has seen him. The kids and hubby all see Dr. Folley who is in the same office as Dr. Grube. It's a small world. ^_^
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2008
5:55 AM

Post #5464231

I think their clinic in Philomath was bought out by the Corvallis clinic, so the docs all work there now.

It IS a small world. ^_^

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2008
6:06 AM

Post #5464246

A very small world, Katie. My DB lives in Keizer. I was there this past July.

Welcome to Dave's, Kimanglin.
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2008
6:06 AM

Post #5464247

Ah, the Corvallis Clinic - they're everywhere.
redchic01
southern willamette , OR
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2008
6:09 AM

Post #5464250

i had a couple of bougainvilleas before I moved last. I would being them inside in early october and then put them out in april or may. They really seemed to do well with that.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

August 25, 2008
4:55 PM

Post #5465717

I have a question about bringing plants in for the winter - when you put them back outside do you put them in the ground or leave them in pots. I love love love bouganvilleas and would like to try one here.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #5465876

I think part of the draw is that when a group is Corvallis Clinic size, the incremental cost of malpractice insurance is easier to bear. Without that, many docs wouldn't be able to stay in business.

My brother and his partner used to be able to drive out into the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night to deliver babies. They really miss that. But now, nobody can afford the liability.

Portland1, I would think you'd want to leave the bougainvillea in pots year-round, rather than having to mess with trimming off a rootball in the fall, but Redchic sounds like she'd know. I'm not one for having things that I have to overwinter inside. There's just no way for me to keep them safe from cats . . .
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

August 27, 2008
6:40 PM

Post #5474895

I always grow Bougainvillea here in Montana. They love it and do well for about 3 to 4 years being brought in in September. I place them in the sunniest window and they bloom all winter. Spring they need to get outside asap so they get the required sun to thrive. I have had problems with mites though in the late winter indoors. Soap and water usually clears them up.
This is a plant that I got in Phoenix 2 years ago.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

August 27, 2008
7:40 PM

Post #5475161

Soferdig - do you just sink the pots in the garden outside? I have a great spot at a sunny window for the winter - that is if the sun comes out.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

August 27, 2008
9:48 PM

Post #5475598

No I just plant and dig up each time. Though I usually pot 2" bigger each year. There is always a little leaf drop but I think the stress causes the flowers to bloom more just because of the stress. I love this plant in the winter because it is all abloom. I do the same thing with Abutilon plants.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

August 28, 2008
12:18 AM

Post #5476110

I always heard that bougainvillea did not like their roots disturbed but you seem to have good luck with that so I may try also!
redchic01
southern willamette , OR
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2008
5:08 AM

Post #5477226

I left mine in the same pot and just moved it inside and out in that. I usually repotted it once every year or two.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pacific Northwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cannas and Agapanthus in the PNW? SalemSunshine 14 Mar 1, 2011 10:08 PM
Tomatoes - when to transplant? Leehallfae 17 May 5, 2014 8:08 PM
Anyone want some fish? Pixydish 33 May 27, 2009 5:38 AM
Does bamboo grow in Spokane? Adriaan 24 Oct 30, 2007 5:38 AM
only one bloom on my rhododendron this year JoieM 27 Jul 11, 2007 3:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America