Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: Now that the Olympic games are over...

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 84, Views: 1,066
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

August 25, 2008
9:50 AM

Post #5464374

There are a total of 418 votes:

Our athletes did great and won several medals!
(233 votes, 55%)
Red dot

We didn't win many medals, but I'm very proud of our athletes!
(6 votes, 1%)
Red dot

I didn't really keep up with the games.
(153 votes, 36%)
Red dot

Other?
(26 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2008
10:55 AM

Post #5464442

I did not keep up with the games. So much seems to be outside the pattern of the sports original intents. I do not for a moment think it will change for the better.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2008
11:32 AM

Post #5464499

I watched them. I respect anyone who can dedicate themsleves and put in so much time to something at such a young age. Good going USA
congminglaoshi
Tuckahoe, NY

August 25, 2008
12:16 PM

Post #5464581

I'm not much of a sports fan anyway...The show was a technologic success, it looked great in the pictures I saw.
savagegardener
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2008
12:22 PM

Post #5464592

OH Wow! Some folks really missed out, to watch Michael Phelps as his relay team won that 8th gold medal to break Mark Spitz' record was worth it all.

Better yet was, the look on his face... and in his eyes...of pride and of a job well done and long struggled for, and of patriotism while the National anthem was being played after they put the last gold medal around his neck. I cried and everyone in my house did as well...

...and the strangest thing happened while that anthem was being played... my 175 pound black Lab, Scarlett was lying on the couch seemingly asleep... until she heard that athem being played and in the middle she lifted her head just ever so slightly, never opening her eyes... and she half barked , and half howled , this long soft howl . We all just died lauging as I reached over and laid my hand on her and called her a good and patriotic puppy. even my dog could get this one right- LOL
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2008
12:25 PM

Post #5464608

One of my favorite parts of the olympics was watching the chinese people. They had never seen americans or other foreigners. They had never seen feedom like we have.

The games were for those who had worked so hard, many many records broken and hard work paid off. Thats what it was about.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2008
12:26 PM

Post #5464611

Very proud of our athletes...and do hope they all played fair.
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2008
12:44 PM

Post #5464658

This summer Olympics is just one more reason that makes me proud to be American.
Our athletes represented themselves in a manner that should be appaulded by all.
I'm very proud of all of them.
savagegardener
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2008
12:44 PM

Post #5464661

I had refused to watch the olympics because of where they were being held... But my 20 year old son is such an athlete, a ARMY ROTC Ranger cadet who won first place in the Ranger Challenge physical fitness contest for the southeastern conference, a decathletes- running ,swimming and bicycling, and I think may have dreams and aspirations of going to the olympics one day... he made me see BY his ethusiasm, that it was not about China, or the IOC ,or me or any political issue.

it was about those young athletes , who spend their youth training ...for years at a time for those few seconds that they compete in the Olympics... and to represent their home country as the best we have to offer ... we sorta have , in my view , a moral obligation to watch and to appreciate all of their efforts .

Way to GO USA!!!!!!!!!!!!
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2008
1:25 PM

Post #5464845

I have to say 'several medals' is such an understatement. We watched quite a lot of the games. I put aside politics although I have a real problem with the amount of money spent by the Chinese government with so much poverty in the rural provinces.

The opening ceremony was nothing short of amazing. I can't watch the basketball and other sports with pros because I think it flies in the face of the spirit of the Olympics, but my husband enjoys it just for the competition. My favorite is gymnastics. It never ceases to amaze me what these athletes are able to do with their bodies.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2008
1:46 PM

Post #5464922

Ahem

As with all of Dave's Garden, political discussion is not allowed. Let's please stick with the subject of the Olympic athletes and events, and not get into a debate about any country's political structure.
Thanks!
Terry
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2008
2:05 PM

Post #5464992

Our Olympic Athletes did an amazing job, and while their medal count was not as high as many others, we still came in 13th in the World standing. We are very proud of them here in Canada. :D
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2008
3:34 PM

Post #5465359

I watched a little, and what I did see was pretty inspiring. Our young ladies winning that relay nearly had me out of my seat! And what can you say about Phelps!?!

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2008
3:34 PM

Post #5465362

The opening and closing ceremonies were amazing, the skill and discipline the Chinese people demonstrated are lessons for many of us to learn. They are proud people and wanted to show the beauty of their country. The costumes were amazing, such variety and beauty, it was dazzling.
I am also very proud of the American athletes, even though I am not a sports fan I did watch a lot of the competitions because I feel that such extraordinary efforts need to be recognized.
All in all, I think it was Grand.
Josephine.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2008
3:48 PM

Post #5465422

Both myself, and my DH thought the Olympics were amazing.

The opening and closing ceremonies were an incredible technological feat from a country that a mere 40 years ago the people were working in fields mostly.

Watching the joy and astonishment on the faces of athletics who broke record after record in accomplishing and surpassing their goal was wonderful. Hearing the incredulity in the voices of the announcers as the participants attained feats not believed humanly possible was simply goose-bump producing fun.

The change in China was extraordinary to behold...and while they may not be up to all the standards some would prefer, they are headed in that direction and I applaud them for it.

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 25, 2008
3:58 PM

Post #5465461

I was very proud of the Canadian athletes. Summer games are not so much our sports and many have minimal or no funding but after a slow start they started to come thru and ended with the highest summer games medal count the Canadian team has ever had. And many more athletes may not have come home with a medal but were in the top 5 or 10 . I think that must be pretty exciting for them!
My favorite was Eric Lamaze winning the individual show jumping after 10 years of fighting back from a double suspension.
poppop
forsyth, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #5465467

USA medal count-- 110 gold,silver and bronze
China totals-----------100 " " " "

China-- 51 golds
USA-- 36 golds

Success is how you look at it ,I suppose.!
Poppop
Susie2
Brazoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 25, 2008
4:21 PM

Post #5465560

Nothing else for me to add. Great going for the athletes. I hardly watch any marathons but found it very interesting to see the winners of this one. I couldn't leave the room until the finish. Amazing in record time.I am totally proud of all these great athletes that gave so much of their skills and efforts for the whole world to view.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 25, 2008
4:36 PM

Post #5465629

I often think , watching the competitions ,that it is a shame so much focus is on the big medal winners ( country and athletes) and little attention paid to other athletes who may come from smaller or relatively unknown countries for the opportunity to compete and do the best they can. They too should be celebrated.
roravenclaw
Nottingham, PA

August 25, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #5465771

I was an athlete throughout high school and college but I don't usually watch sports because it feels like sitting the bench. However, I do love watching the gymnastics and diving because I am always amazed at the things they can do! I feel that they were truly awesome as were all the athletes! I am proud of them!
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #5465789

Absolutely!! One World One Dream! And now it's time for the Paralypians to shine...
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

August 25, 2008
5:23 PM

Post #5465839

Here is a story. My 4 year old nephew was throwing a screaming tantrum when Michael Phelps came on t.v. The little boy paused and said in a reverent tone, " Michael Phelps!" He was quiet for a minute; then went back to his tantrum!
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 25, 2008
7:12 PM

Post #5466266

I think your athletses did very well, but mine did too, I am English and next time I shall go back and try to get some tickets to go. I used to live near all the East London Venues and they were building the Stadiums when I left, I was not old enough to appreciate the 1948 Olympics, but have always been a fan - in UK you don't get adverts in the middle of the Games, you can sit for 3 hours solid and watch the marathon and you will be given the results of all Gold medals not just yours.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

August 25, 2008
7:27 PM

Post #5466319

I tried hard to avoid them, which was difficult. I mean, really, what kind of Olympic sport is beach volleyball??
Why was Federer allowed to play tennis for his country, it was supposed to be for amateurs...yet boxing was not able to send professional boxers...
I don't know, when I did watch all I heard was complaining about the judging.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

August 25, 2008
7:46 PM

Post #5466388

Savage - loved your report - esp your dog!!!!!!! What an incredible memory that is to add to the emotionality of the events.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2008
8:03 PM

Post #5466451

I didn't watch all the Olympics--but those events that I did manage to catch were riveting. I was inspired by the grace of the athletes' performances, the beauty of their toned bodies, and the intensity of their concentration and discipline.
And my five-year-old granddaughter who loves her swimming class at the "Y", adamantly refused to go to bed until she had seen Michael Phelps and his team win the 8th medal.
NY2CA
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 25, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #5466454

Despite early criticism and stumbles, I thought China did a great job as hosts and accomplished their mission of showing off their capabilities.

(not making a political statement here, only remarking on the pagentry and efficiency of the games)

I started off not watching much but ended up not being able to help myself. I thought it was a great showing and am really looking forward to London's hosting of the next games.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #5466570

I watched what I could, but didn't record any and play back later. Very proud of the Canadian showing but I often wish medals were awarded to the top 5 instead of the top 3. So many end up in 4th or 5th place with a minute fraction of a second separating them from the Gold medal. It really is the luck of the day in some cases.

Tend to agree with Threegardeners about some sports, but what about the men's 8 in rowing (where we did take gold) or the long distance mountain bike race (women's) or the men's marathon or the amazing Jamaican sprinter. All I can say is Wow!

Ann
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2008
8:38 PM

Post #5466590

I don't watch much TV anymore - no time. I did catch a couple of events or parts of them, mostly during lunch on workdays. I learned one amazing thing about myself -

It is next to impossible to sit still while watching trampoline gymnastics!

:-)

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2008
8:41 PM

Post #5466597

I enjoyed the television coverage of gymnastics, swimming, track and field, and several other sports. I have really appreciated being able to watch videos of some of my favorite events, the equestrian competitions, on my computer screen. Granted, the videos were posted on "NBC Olympics on the Go" a couple of days after the event, but I still got to see all the dressage and show jumping I wanted to. If you missed anything you wanted to see, try that site. It is probably there!
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #5466634

I am so very proud of our athletes...my husband and I watched many hours of the competitions.
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

August 25, 2008
9:37 PM

Post #5466816

Now that the Olympic games are over I will be watching home makeovers again.
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 25, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #5466883

I'm just ready to get some sleep!

Being an avid summer Olympics fan, (not much on the winter olympics, as I don't get all that frozen water stuff), I'm the type that has to see it live. I watched all of Michael Phelps wins live, and much more until I couldn't keep my eyes open.

The Volleyball all the way around was incredible, with some nail biting moments.

Watching the closing ceremony, I couldn't help but notice that a lot of the children singing looked about the same age as the Chinese "womens" gymnastics team.

:-)

Chris
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2008
10:12 PM

Post #5466949

Yeah, I loved that the swimming events were broadcast live for us on the East Coast. For that reason, I think all future Olympics should be held in China ;) I hate having to avoid the internet during the Olympics because of the spoilers.

I thought it was a great Olympics and I'm kind of bummed that it's over. The men's swimming relay comeback was one of the most exciting Olympic moments I can ever remember. I was also touched by the close relationship Michael Phelps seems to have with his mom and sisters.

I never really got the interest in Beach Volleyball...maybe the skimpy outfits (funny that the guys don't wear speedos with that) and the blaring music in the background is what made me not take it seriously...but when I actually watched it I gained a new respect for it as a legit sport.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2008
10:23 PM

Post #5466998

BuriedTreasures - you just come from the wrong part of the continent, I guess. Give me the WINTER Olympics any time over the summer games. And we get to host the next ones here in Canada in 2010.

Ann
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #5467059

I've lost that lovin' feeling for the Olympic Games, unfortunately, so I didn't pay much attention to them. There's simply too much focus on commercial stuff, not enough focus on the lesser-known or less popular sports, not enough focus on the smaller stories and different countries' teams, etc. etc. I'll continue to hope for things to change though.
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 25, 2008
10:40 PM

Post #5467106

I would love to see coverage on the lesser known/popular sports. I was in Europe for the 1984 Olympic games, and it was a completely different set of games being shown.

You would think the cable companies would offer a package like they do for MLB, NFL, etc. I even called Verizon Fios to see if they had any, and they didn't. Someone is missing an opportunity. I would have paid they 50-100 they normally charge to see any olympic event I wanted to.

Chris

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 25, 2008
11:47 PM

Post #5467419

I didn't watch any... although I heard the opening ceremonies were pre-recorded and not live PLUS having a different person shown than the little girl who actually sang...
Unfortunately a lot of it is politics, and I'm just not either a political person, nor a sports fan, so it leaves a lot to be desired as far as I'm concerned.
NOT to say I'm not patriotic - I am - I think what they're doing to further their goals and the recognition of their respective countries is terrific, but I just can't get "into it". Ah well, to each his/her own...

BUT I LOVE GARDENING!!!! LOL
Show me a gardening show anyday!!!!

This message was edited Aug 25, 2008 6:04 PM
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #5467423

I am an Olympics junkie. I watched 24 hours when I could, and every moment I was not at work. I saw live 6 of Phelps' gold medal races, and all of the Women's Gymnastics except for the unven bars. The ones I missed I watched online or on reruns at night.

Sean Johnson is a real class act. She congratulated everyone, not just her team member, and showed excellent sportsmanship. She is a beautiful young lady, and in addition to her amazing athleticism, she is also an honor role student who excells in school. She is a real role model.

I absolutely BROKE DOWN when Lolo Jones fell during the hurdlas. That was so incredibly sad. It broke my heart for her as well as her mother who they showed in the stands.

I am very proud of the American atheletes, but just as much so for other countries contestants. Look at Usein Bolt. He was amazing. I can not believe that a man can run that fast. It is amazing. And the Kenyans in the long distance races. Unbelievable.

The most emotional moment for me was not exactly a part of the games, but the commercial that came on immediately after Pheps wom his 8th medal. It went something like this:
"When you win a gold medal, it is amazing. Two is outstanding. Three is unbelievable. When you win eight, well, we're going to have to ome up with some new adjectives".
I cried for ike 5 minutes.

plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2008
2:00 AM

Post #5468099

I enjoyed the Olympics so much! I'm glad they are over but they were great while they were on. I followed them religiously!

Ann
pamsaplantin
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2008
2:02 AM

Post #5468107

My 2 1/2 year old grandson has a small trampoline that he loves to bounce on. Since the Olympics he "dismounts" with hands held high above his head. Even toddlers are inspired by these athletes.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #5468184

It's not about the medals but the efforts!

Also, What is up with the volleyball and the women players wearing hardly anything and the men volleyball players wearing shorts and shirts? Did anyone else notice that? In the London Olympics I want to see the men in thongs and no shirts or both sexes in shorts and t-shirts. Very sexist! I want equal sexual exploitation or nothing! :0

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #5468224

I watched with my lil' gr-d. She was fascinated with the gymnastics and now plays "Barbie Olympics". I was inspired to use the stairs at work the other day--going up! These young Olympic champions are worthy of all the honors bestowed upon them. One young gold medal winner is from a nearby town. She made us all so proud!
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2008
2:28 AM

Post #5468243

Yes, watching the summer games always makes me feel out of shape and motivated to exercise more, lol If Phelps inspires kids to put down the video games and take up swimming, I think that's good thing. I agree that Shawn Johnson was a great role model..she seemed to have such a good attitude all the way thru. Same with the men's gymnastics team. They seemed thrilled to get a medal, regardless of color.
Kaelkitty
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

August 26, 2008
2:59 AM

Post #5468371

Ahem! A short patriotic intrusion here

AUSSIE! AUSSIE! AUSSIE! ... OI! OI! OI!

Overall status 6th in the world, and there are only 21 million or so of us! (per capita, that would mean the US would have to win more than 140 gold medals to be in front of us, and China 830 or so) I think we do pretty well for a country with a small population. Also how about Matthew Mitcham our 10m platform diver, he's only 18 and he has just scored 112.10 - the highest dive score ever awarded in Olympic history - to come from behind win the Gold Medal on his very last dive! I am NOT a sporty person, but I wish we could have more events like this to channel the competitive side of human nature and fewer wars and other troubles.

I now return you to your normal programming, (LOL)

TTFN, KK.
NY2CA
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 26, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #5468400

You go Kaelkitty!

ps. I spent a couple of weeks in and around Adelaide (was scuba diving). Was a wonderful time.
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 26, 2008
3:09 AM

Post #5468409

If we're doing the fuzzy math, the land down under is lacking behind the Jamaicans, who seem to lead the world in medals per capita. They have 1/10th the population of the country that brought us giant cans of beer, and Paul Hogan, but 1/4th as many medals.

;-)

Cheers,

Chris

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 26, 2008
3:48 AM

Post #5468549

Too much beach volleyball, but otherwise, I enjoyed the games. I wish they had forsaken some of the live programming and broadcast at a "civilized" time, but that's how it goes. (I don't think anything was truely live out here in Pacific Time anyways. I think all of the "live" was actually 3 hours late.)
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2008
10:58 AM

Post #5469032

I didn't have time to watch any of the Olympics, but my favorite events are usually the skating and volleyball. I played volleyball in highschool and college so I know it takes plenty of training and skill. I think beach volleyball is more challenging than traditional volleyball. So despite the skimpy outfits, beach volleyball is no less of a sport than the others!

MsMaati

MsMaati
Newburgh, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2008
11:28 AM

Post #5469096

We did a fantastic job. I am so proud to be American. Kudos to all of the athletes.
cat64129
(Cathy), MO

August 26, 2008
1:28 PM

Post #5469512

I watched quite a bit, but my absolute favorite part was the Dalmatian and horse commercial! I would LOVE to have a tape of that. So cute!
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2008
3:14 PM

Post #5469941

About the medal count - I saw a news item (can't find it at the moment) that explained the official count is per event. Thus in a team sport such as basketball, the winning country gets an official count of one gold medal, even though each team member on the podium gets a medal to take home. Based on the number of individuals receiving them, the USA is ahead in gold.

But each and every one of the athletes from everywhere should be commended for dedicated effort.

Yuska
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 26, 2008
4:04 PM

Post #5470111

All athletes from all countries were truly AMAZING!!

I agree with too much Beach Volleyball coverage...I did enjoy watching the bit I saw, though, and there's no doubt those folks are good at what they do.
The sand has got to make that sport even *more* challenging!
You'd have to wear skimpy outfits to do all that jumping, diving, etc..!
Whew...tired me out just watching it!

I always enjoy the gymnastics...and it amazes me that these kids can do the things they do!
Potagere

August 26, 2008
6:27 PM

Post #5470672

I'm not allowed to discuss my other here (or even express it), so it will have to remain just "other". Such a politically laden issue seems an odd choice on a forum where politics is not allowed. Perhaps I may say that the citizens of Beijing have been used to seeing thousands of foreigners on their streets every day since at least 1989 when I lived there?
gardener2005
Baton Rouge area, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2008
7:49 PM

Post #5470911

I peeked first so my vote doesn`t count. lol! :)

The races were our favorite. I thought everyone did their best. It looked like a few were competing with injuries on board but still did the best they could. The face and stride shows the pain and I felt for them.

Karen
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2008
8:22 PM

Post #5470985

I was glued to the t.v. and thoroughly enjoyed the whole Olympics!

Way to go Michael Phelps! You've made history!!
graceful_garden
Hahira, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2008
8:50 PM

Post #5471074

Our athletes did great & won LOTS of medals! Go USA!!
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

August 26, 2008
9:48 PM

Post #5471286

Loved it! I also think the beach volleyball girls could have worn more clothes and some of the athlethes from other countries could have been higlighted more.

I think there should be one broadcast for everyone so its fair without biases. All the athletes deserve a spot of recognition. Plus then we get to see sports WE want and not what is chosen for us during primetime.

I was in awe watching Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt!!! They are Supermen!!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2008
12:01 AM

Post #5471801

Gosh, besides Phelps, Bolt and the men's volleyball teams, both beach and court...my heart goes out to Dara Torres, 41 and that was her 5th Olympics. She's a true Olympian.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #5471863

I did not get to see as much of the Olympics as I wanted to. Someone in the household cannot relinquish the remote (Yankee fan)
But my kudos go to each and every athlete that was there. To devote the time, effort, and sheer will is astounding. No matter what country they represent, that is secondary to their individual efforts.
Phelps and Bolt...outstanding.
Beach volleyball..I played it for the first time this summer. What a difficult task to just get your feet out of the sand in time to get to the ball. On the upside, you can leap for the ball and fall on your face. It doesn't hurt :)
I missed the equestrian events sadly, which I think is the only event involving a non human athlete.
Artgal
Evans, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #5472504

I admire the athletes and their dedication - but in many cases the countries they represent means nothing. It is often the richer countries who can afford to"buy" these athletes making them citizens or can afford the best training and coaches. I wish the coverage had been more inclusive and not just select sports where the US were represented and guaranteed to do well.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2008
2:40 AM

Post #5472616

I was surprised at the number of athletes from other countries that come to U.S. to live and train.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2008
3:22 AM

Post #5472801

I don't get into Olympic or any other sports for that matter. I can't really explain my feeling on sports. It's not like you can really pick who you root for anyway.(or you can but most people don't) I live in USA so I want Usa to win and I live in new england so I want the patriots to win, I used to live 15 min. away from here in mass so I want the red sox to win. I think it's all silly how people get carried away with bashing other teams. Perfect example would be the whole red sox vs. yankee thing. Oh who cares! if I was born and raised in new york they'd be my team. Just like if I were born in bejinng don't ya think I would root for bejinng. I know some people actually choose which teams they like by the teams skills, but if you truelly do that then you'd have to pick new ones every draft! I don't know, I can enjoy them on occasion but I think some people just take them too seriously. Like my DH and his Pats! lol
I did happen to catch a swimming event - laps I think - and the americans made an unbelievable comeback! It was pretty amazing! I was mostly happy that the french didn't win after the brief interview before hand where they were acting very cocky I don't like when cocky people win anything! I don't care if it was the americans, or heck, even my own family member, if you are too full of yourself and boast and brag you don't deserve to win anything! JMHO
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 27, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #5472863

Not a sport or Tv fan! Strange but true. I don't even listen to the radio, unless its music! I certainly got alot done in the garden.
Who won what? I did catch my DH watching womens beach volley ball! LOL
gordo
Gulfport, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2008
4:48 AM

Post #5473060

Where was the Tibetan swim team? Did I miss that event?
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2008
8:23 AM

Post #5473222

cat64129, the commercial with the dalmation and the horse was for Budweiser. Here you go. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGx4E8w5VHg

Howie and I really enjoyed the coverage this year, though we wish they talked more about the athletes and shared their stories. To us, the competition means so much more when we know something about its players.

The opening and closing ceremonies were *amazing*. What vision that director has.
beverly710
Newalla, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2008
6:23 PM

Post #5474826

Whether I like or understand the sport...I watched as much as I could just because every
athlete sacrificed and worked the better part of their life just to make it to the Games.

GOOD FOR THEM ALL !!!!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2008
8:38 PM

Post #5475346

Funny, I found the beach volleyball ladies a but overdressed. I was concerned about the possibility of heat-related injury...
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2008
8:41 PM

Post #5475357

I Say RA RA RA Good Job USA Paul
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2008
11:28 PM

Post #5475946

Now that the Olympic games are over... "Other"? Competitive hybridization nor the three acre wheel barrow run were featured in the "games."

I have to agree with Potagere's post. This poll question has as much to do with gardening as politics do. Yet, we're not allowed to discuss the latter here even though it's a huge issue within the topic of the question!

Try harder, pollster(s)! You can submit better, more topical questions!
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #5476001

I guess I'm naive...I don't really think about politics when I watch the Olympics. I just enjoy seeing these young people try achieve the goals that they work so hard on thru the years.
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2008
12:25 AM

Post #5476128

It was probably the most I ever enjoyed the Olympics. From Phelps to the 42 yr old woman swimmer, to the men's volleyball coach who found tragedy and gold in Beijing. The Chinese did a memorable job with the venues & the opening & closing ceremonies They also were outstanding medal winners..

Fantastic!
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2008
3:45 AM

Post #5476971

Yay for USA Women's Basketball!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2008
10:08 AM

Post #5477490

Well, Iceland has not won many medals on Olympics through history (3) but the Icelandic Men's handball team made history these olympics and won Silver :-) Last time we won an olympic silver medal (and only time until now) was in 1956. And that was an individual medal. With a population of 300.000 we're just bursting with pride to be the first "tiny" country to win a TEAM medal in the Olympics. The athletes arrived home yesterday and there was a celebration almost like independence day. 50.000 people turned out to greet them http://www.mbl.is/mm/frettir/innlent/2008/08/28/landslidid_kemur_heim_myndir/

Rann
jleigh
Ballston Lake, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2008
10:18 AM

Post #5477507

i am very proud of all the athletes who participated. such dedication and hard work is truly amazing.
however i didn't watch the olympics at all (i chose other). and now that they are over... i will get back to watching my nbc programs that were bumped due to coverage. luckily most were reruns.
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #5478886

Congratulations to Iceland and their talented athletes!!! What a thrill...
hiddenvalley
Des Moines, IA

August 29, 2008
2:47 AM

Post #5481212

We in Iowa are so proud of our Gold Metal winner in Shawn Johnson. She is 16 years old and was a silver medalist in three events and won Gold in the beam.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2008
9:50 AM

Post #5482000

thanks Don :-) Congrats to all the US winners as well - there were quite a few of them ;-) lol
carolmorton
APISON, TN

August 30, 2008
12:46 PM

Post #5486366

I enjoyed seeing the ceremonies and some of the competitions and felt happy for the winners. I do not like all the focus on which country wins the most medals. I'm happiest for those from other countries which don't always expect to send winners.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 30, 2008
9:06 PM

Post #5487992

I see how hard they have trained and how much they try...I end up wishing they could all win, though it wouldn't be much of a competition at that point. ;) It's heartbreaking to see the people who make mistakes in their routines or who injure themselves. To make it that far and have a gaff like that must be terrible.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2008 9:23 PM
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2008
9:22 PM

Post #5488066

I agree. They work so hard for so long.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2008
3:52 PM

Post #5490549

I am always glued to the TV during the summer and winter Olympics! I voted other because our athletes did great and won MANY MANY medals. I was happy for the athletes from so many small countries that made everyone proud of them. Such hard work deserves a lot of recognition.
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2008
2:25 PM

Post #5538150

NATALIE DU TOIT IS INCREDIBLE! SMASHING HER OWN WORLD RECORD IN THE PARALYMPICS IN BEIJING! I AM SO PROUD OF THE AMAZING TRAINING EACH OF THESE ATHLETES PUTS INTO THEIR EFFORTS. I DON'T REALLY CARE ABOUT NATIONALITY; IT IS SIMPLY ASTOUNDING TO WATCH THESE ATHLETES DISPLAY THEIR SKILLS. IT IS A BIT SADDENING THAT SEVERAL PARTICIPANTS HAVE BEEN DISQUALIFIED FOR HAVING BANNED CHEMICALS IN THEIR BLOOD STREAMS.

IS EVERYONE ELSE FEELING THE JOY OF THESE COMPETITIONS? I SURE HOPE SO! THESE ARE THE GAMES THAT ARE TRULY INSPIRING!

This message was edited Sep 11, 2008 9:56 AM
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2008
4:29 AM

Post #5627849

Did anyone else see Michael Phelps on SNL?
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #5631057

I did. Thought he did quite well.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 149 Feb 9, 2011 12:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America