Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Native American Honeysuckles and their cultivars: Fragrant Honeysuckle

Communities > Forums > Article: Native American Honeysuckles and their cultivars
bookmark
Forum: Article: Native American Honeysuckles and their cultivarsReplies: 5, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bambamvz
Abington, MA

August 25, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #5465260

I live in Massashusetts and for years have been trying to locate a fragrant form of honeysuckle. When I lived in Nevada my back trellis was covered and the smell in the evening divine!!! On a recent trip to New Hampshire, I was told it is illegal to sell there because it is so invasive!!!! And in the Live Free or Die State no less!!

However, I digress...does anyone know of a fragrant honeysuckle for Zone 5 and where I might purchase it????? Thanks

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #7230042

We have 'Scentsational'; it is fragrant, NOT invasive and I don't remember where we got it. I think it's in PlantFiles.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 1, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #7230775

Bambamvz;
Honeysuckle grows wild were I am living. In the late spring and early summer you can just walk outside any time and the smell just carries . I do not grow them so I know that the smell is carrying at least two football fields away!
I did transplant a wild honeysuckle one time, but the place I wanted it too grow was too small and I pruned it so much that it never was able to bloom much.

They do grow big though. There was one in the fence row that grew way up in a tall cedar and made the whole tree look like it was blooming yellow and white. They also lover woven wire fences and if you keep them pruned they look great!

I can not imagine New Hampshire or Mass. could ban this, or make it illegal since it is native to America to begin with. That would be like trying to limit the wind!

I can not imagine that it is not growing in some fence row somewhere up in Mass?
But the smell of this native is strong and travels far.
avjudge
Somerville, MA

November 4, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #7239263

The honeysuckle banned in NH is not native - it's Japanese honeysuckle, fragrant but invasive, and prohibited in CT, MA, & NH according to the USDA: http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=loja

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #7245875

Exactly, which is why it's hard to buy ones that AREN'T named cultivars. Conversely, it should be fairly easy to purchase a non-invasive patented cultivar; the trick is figuring out which ones have a fragrance. Not all of them do.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 7, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #7249144

My neighbor bought a honeysuckle, it was different, it was red and pink.
When my two neighbors proudly pointed it out to me, I innocently but foolishly said "Yeah, one of them is growing up in the fence row"
The wife said "You won't see that back there, this cost us a fortunate!'
I had to explain that I do clean out the fence rows, and I had ran across just one on the edge of their property and mine, and that I had not sprayed it. I was curious where it came from , and spared it. I even thought I would go back and dig it up. But I never did, it had kept up pretty good with the wild kind, I will probably spray it next summer, it is getting over on the electric fence. I thought for sure the neighbors might be interested in digging it up, but so far they have not.
when it comes to honey suckle I lack imagination. First I can not imagine just how big wild honeysuckle can get.
AND secondly I can not imagine that a cultivar would really be all that well behaved.
Sorry.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Native American Honeysuckles and their cultivars Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you, Glynis McGlory 6 Nov 2, 2009 1:30 PM
A word to the wise... DianeEG 18 Nov 3, 2009 1:19 PM
Honeysuckle for Shade in Zone 9 ceilifinnigan 3 Nov 2, 2009 1:46 PM
Honeysuckle ron_leddy 0 Feb 10, 2010 9:53 PM
again Honeysuckle hckybreath 0 Dec 25, 2010 12:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America