Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Stop Pinching your Basil! Start Saving Seeds for Next Year’s Basil Plants: favorite Italian pesto basil

Communities > Forums > Article: Stop Pinching your Basil! Start Saving Seeds for Next Year’s Basil Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Stop Pinching your Basil! Start Saving Seeds for Next Year’s Basil PlantsReplies: 1, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

August 25, 2008
6:08 PM

Post #5466046

. . . and this would be????

I've never made pesto, but would love to. It would be nice to get an experts idea of the perfect basil to use. Hey, while I'm begging -- a recipe would be truly appreciated. (later -- I kept reading some of you older post and found the pesto recipe -- thanks!)

Now to go out and find my basil that is hidden with my tomato plants and see if they have gone to seed yet. Tomatoes have not produce (too much heat and wind this year), so I tend to ignore those hidden basil plants in that part of the garden.

May I ask, what do you do with the different varieties of basil? I grow lemon, but don't know what to do with it besides enjoy the smell. (Almost afraid to admit my ignorance.)

Thanks for your advice!

This message was edited Aug 25, 2008 12:41 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2008
8:40 PM

Post #5466596

It's a variety a friend of mine brought back from Italy several years ago... I don't know the name, so I just refer to it as my favorite Italian basil from Italy. I'll try to collect seeds again this year, but if I don't manage it you can probably still find it, as I've given out a lot of seed of this variety over the past several years. It's probably an Italian Genovese variety.

I like various types of basil tossed into green salads, and I like lemon basil in marinades (try it with chicken -- add a little garlic and red wine vinegar, rub with olive oil before grilling). Thai basils are wonderful in stir fries. I grow them for their scents, too!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Stop Pinching your Basil! Start Saving Seeds for Next Year’s Basil Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very timely! Bookerc1 5 Aug 22, 2008 4:13 AM
Great info! stormyla 1 Aug 25, 2008 3:42 AM
pinching skibo 6 Aug 27, 2008 2:11 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America