Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Hunter Green and Neon Orange Spider?!?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 67
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FlutterBy796
New Iberia, LA

August 25, 2008
7:24 PM

Post #5466310

Hello All,

I'm a new member here and love your bug Identification forum. Just this weekend I was out on my balcony checking on my plants and I discovered a Hunter Green and Neon Orange spider chilling in a corner. Not having a camera I thought I would be useless here, until I discovered a picture online of another person trying to id it. If anyone could help I'd appreciate it. I live in Southern Louisiana in a small town. Thank you all for your input and I look forward to figuring out who my new roommate is!

Thumbnail by FlutterBy796
Click the image for an enlarged view.

suunto
Sinks Grove, WV

August 25, 2008
9:58 PM

Post #5466907

This is an orchard spider (Leucauge venusta), a long-jawed orb weaver (family Tetragnathidae) - see http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/go/553/
FlutterBy796
New Iberia, LA

August 26, 2008
2:11 PM

Post #5469700

Thank you very much for the link as well as the reply!

bimosgal
Tifton, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2008
7:39 PM

Post #5551460

I have been trying to identify the spiders that seem to have sprung up in my holly trees overnight, and they seem to be these orchard spiders. Are they dangerous? I have an over abundance of them. They don't seem to be aggressive, but there are tons of them. We just moved into our new home 3 months ago, and we have had wasps, hornets, palmetto bugs, and now these. It is a shock to our system, since we are from the Chicago area and now are in South GA! Any suggestions?
Thanks!
suunto
Sinks Grove, WV

September 14, 2008
7:46 PM

Post #5551478

These spiders, like all orb-weaving spiders, are harmless to humans. BTW, if you can't find answers to your yard/garden questions on Davesgarden forums, try contacting your county office of Georgia's Cooperative Extension service - see http://www.caes.uga.edu/extension/statewide.cfm
bimosgal
Tifton, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2008
8:01 PM

Post #5551522

Thank you, suunto! I sure appreciate your input!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America