Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Gingers: Hedychium Orange Crush

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 6, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2008
10:46 PM

Post #5467148

I bought this at the Stephen F Austin MAST Arboretum plant sale a few years ago. This is the pic of the bloom last year. I can't locate a pic from this year and I was sure I took one.

It has one huge stalk that bloomed and has only produced one other really large stalk so far this season, well I guess there is another little one coming up. The excess rainfall we've had this month should help it along a lot. I hope the second one blooms for me, I love the color.

Thumbnail by maggidew
Click the image for an enlarged view.

roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

August 26, 2008
5:38 AM

Post #5468772

Wow, that's so beautiful maggi. I love the ginger lilies but probably can't grow them here in Ireland. I would need a very light and warm conservatory and I've got about as much chance of getting that as I have getting a um---third greenhouse.
Thanks for brightening my very soggy early morning :-))
Rosie.
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 26, 2008
2:09 PM

Post #5469691

I moved here from western Oregon 12 years ago and my dream has always been to have an air-conditioned conservatory so I could grow my favorite miniature Rhododendrons and a yellow Camellia. Fat chance of that happening - LOL!

roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

August 26, 2008
5:30 PM

Post #5470444

LOL maggi, we'll have to swap locations for a couple of months. I grow Camellias and rhodi's outdoors here. Even the somewhat delicate ones will thrive if given a sheltered corner.
:-))
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 26, 2008
8:43 PM

Post #5471051

OK, so please next Spring post pics of the blooms!

Wait, maybe not, I might get really homesick :~(

If you ever find yourself in a position to visit the US, please make Texas in Fall one of your stops!

When I left Portland, OR for Texas in 1996 my sister left for The Netherlands. She was a few years there and then went to Ireland for a few years. She sent a lot of photos of the countryside there and it looks so beautiful! Now she is in Sweden.
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

August 26, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #5471720

A true jet setting family maggi. I was gardening in Wales before moving here two years ago - but nowhere is as wet as Ireland even though its very beautiful and I love living here. I'm putting in a couple of raised beds in my garden before I can do some real gardening - the soil is just too waterlogged. At least in Wales it used to run off! I don't get homesick - haven't lived anywhere long enough to get homesick for - just fed get up with the weather lol.
I would love to go to the states - maybe someday. Never mind wer'e off to Marsaille next week - I bet they can grow gingers there. Send some more photos do - to someone who is really jealous :-))
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #5471980

LOL! OK!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America