Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Gingers: Hedychium Orange Crush

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 6, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2008
10:46 PM

Post #5467148

I bought this at the Stephen F Austin MAST Arboretum plant sale a few years ago. This is the pic of the bloom last year. I can't locate a pic from this year and I was sure I took one.

It has one huge stalk that bloomed and has only produced one other really large stalk so far this season, well I guess there is another little one coming up. The excess rainfall we've had this month should help it along a lot. I hope the second one blooms for me, I love the color.

Thumbnail by maggidew
Click the image for an enlarged view.

roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

August 26, 2008
5:38 AM

Post #5468772

Wow, that's so beautiful maggi. I love the ginger lilies but probably can't grow them here in Ireland. I would need a very light and warm conservatory and I've got about as much chance of getting that as I have getting a um---third greenhouse.
Thanks for brightening my very soggy early morning :-))
Rosie.
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 26, 2008
2:09 PM

Post #5469691

I moved here from western Oregon 12 years ago and my dream has always been to have an air-conditioned conservatory so I could grow my favorite miniature Rhododendrons and a yellow Camellia. Fat chance of that happening - LOL!

roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

August 26, 2008
5:30 PM

Post #5470444

LOL maggi, we'll have to swap locations for a couple of months. I grow Camellias and rhodi's outdoors here. Even the somewhat delicate ones will thrive if given a sheltered corner.
:-))
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 26, 2008
8:43 PM

Post #5471051

OK, so please next Spring post pics of the blooms!

Wait, maybe not, I might get really homesick :~(

If you ever find yourself in a position to visit the US, please make Texas in Fall one of your stops!

When I left Portland, OR for Texas in 1996 my sister left for The Netherlands. She was a few years there and then went to Ireland for a few years. She sent a lot of photos of the countryside there and it looks so beautiful! Now she is in Sweden.
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

August 26, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #5471720

A true jet setting family maggi. I was gardening in Wales before moving here two years ago - but nowhere is as wet as Ireland even though its very beautiful and I love living here. I'm putting in a couple of raised beds in my garden before I can do some real gardening - the soil is just too waterlogged. At least in Wales it used to run off! I don't get homesick - haven't lived anywhere long enough to get homesick for - just fed get up with the weather lol.
I would love to go to the states - maybe someday. Never mind wer'e off to Marsaille next week - I bet they can grow gingers there. Send some more photos do - to someone who is really jealous :-))
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #5471980

LOL! OK!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America