Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Watermelon, Citrullus lanatus ~ Nutrition & Growing Tips: Our family's 4th of July Feast

Communities > Forums > Article: Watermelon, Citrullus lanatus ~ Nutrition & Growing Tips
bookmark
Forum: Article: Watermelon, Citrullus lanatus ~ Nutrition & Growing TipsReplies: 1, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Marigold42
Broken Arrow, OK

August 26, 2008
1:29 PM

Post #5469516

The Family Garden was too small for Watermelons as Mom had to can all the produce for the winter. I always loved the huge oval deep green Watermelons with yellow stripes.

Didn't learn for many years why Mom and Dad always ate the centers and us kids got to enjoy the seed part, sucking in to the white stuff as far as we could go before hitting the bitter.

I must have a weird taster. My family loved the little Sugar Babies, but I only ever ate one slice because of the bad after-taste. The seedless ones also had an after-taste, as well as the yellow varities. So, I'll stick to the huge ones cooled in tubs of water and covered with burlap and tucked deep into the summer shade at the North side of the house. Never cared for ice-cold Watermelon straight from the Fridge.

After we'd all eaten our fill of Hotdogs, hamburgers, potato salad and iced tea, we sit back talking and then an hour or so later here'd come Dad with the Melon and a huge butcher knife...our holiday desert delivered in grand style.

Marigold42

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2008
12:22 AM

Post #5471902

Hi Marigold42,

You don't have a "weird taster"...I recently learned in a biochemistry class on just how all of us have different taste receptors and perceptions of smell and flavor. In my class the professor passed around a particular offensive scent for the students to smell. The interesting thing was that I couldn't smell it or the person next to me. Actually, only some of the people (out of over 100) could get that 'offensive' odor.

I guess that class experience is similar to getting an 'aftertaste' from the melons. I have never detected an aftertaste in the Sugar Babies or in Yellow Melons, but I may not have the gene that would detect that; whereas, you do :) It is not a good thing or a bad thing ~ the point is that all of us taste and smell differently depending on our receptors and genetic makeup. You may find the background concepts of this link interesting: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/taste.html

I don't care for the watermelon ice cold either...we just let it sit out on the counter before serving.

It is neat that your mom did a lot of canning. My husband and I just went to a place called Wheaton Village here in NJ today. They had some old glass jars on display from Mr. John Landis Mason...the man who started 'Mason' Jars for canning back in the mid 1800's. It was really interesting :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_L._Mason

Thanks for your reply ~ Keep enjoying watermelon and Happy Gardening!
~Diana

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Watermelon, Citrullus lanatus ~ Nutrition & Growing Tips Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank You! nanny_56 9 Aug 21, 2008 11:39 AM
Nice Article phicks 3 Aug 21, 2008 2:53 AM
Great Job! Aunt_A 3 Aug 22, 2008 4:25 AM
Watermelon Shrimp Salad critterologist 0 Aug 21, 2008 4:06 AM
I always wondered... darius 5 Jun 15, 2009 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America