Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cooking: What are they and how do I cook them?

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 18, Views: 407
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
6:27 PM

Post #5470671

My DIL grew them. I've seen them before but other than to put them in a decorative arrangement of pumpkins and gourds I haven't done anything with them. Ric says they are acorn squash but that's not what I call an acorn squash, and that his Mom use to fry them. DIL said they came in a packet of traded seeds marked mixed pumpkin. They look a bit like those paddy pan squash of fancyvan's but they are pure white and bigger I think.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
6:27 PM

Post #5470674

Forgot the picture, silly me.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2008
7:47 PM

Post #5470904

i love acorn never saw a flat white one.. these??
chatnoir
Downers Grove, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #5471045

I think you do have a patty pan squash there. There's a variety called Custard White or something close. Patty Pan's are really mild - you can cut them up and stir fry with a little garlic. Or use them any way you would a summer squash.

I have the yellow ones and have been putting them in everything - even the indian curries! My yellow's are huge! Seed packet showed about the size of your palm - mine are the size of a salad plate. I've tried to catch them smaller but they seem to go from tiny to giant overnight LOL! The taste hasn't suffered from them getting so big though so it hasn't been a problem.

Enjoy!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
8:54 PM

Post #5471087

Thanks, I'll be looking for more recipes as she has quite a few of them. We tried cutting it up into slices and breading and frying them on the stove top just because that is what Ric remembers but we really don't do a lot of breading and frying. It was pretty hard to peel and slice but they were very good and tender once cooked.
chatnoir
Downers Grove, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2008
9:11 PM

Post #5471147

Since they're summer squash you don't even need to peel them. That's the one thing I don't like about the winter squash. Especially butternut!
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2008
12:39 AM

Post #5471985

Definitely a patty pan. If you harvest them when they are small, there is no need to peel. If one gets away from you (they are zucchini cousins afterall), then you can stuff them and bake them. Shoe has a great photo of one of these stuffed and baked on a thread somewhere. I'll have to see if I can find it.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #5474227

Yes, they are a sqaush but if you let the sking get hard, you need to treat them like pumking, or acorn squash. Cut in have leave skin on and bake with brown sugar butter and cinnamon.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2008
8:37 PM

Post #5475343

Thanks everyone for the info. The one we ate last night was very good and I know my DIL will be cooking all of them. I've done squash with butter and brown sugar and we use the small yellow and Green Summer Squash with a cream cheese sauce, or sliced and grilled. Looks like this will be pretty adaptable once cut up.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #5517585

I pick them small, marinade in olive oil and garlic for aout 30 minutes. and throw them on the grill when the meat is almost finished. To serve, a shaving of fresh Parmesan dresses them nicely.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2008
2:21 AM

Post #5549063

Oh, That sounds yummy. Thanks, I'll pass that along to my DIL. We just returned from a 2 week trip and I will have to find out how many more she has and if she is going to grow them next year.
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #5648552

Just found this thread. Definitely patty pan! I like them better than zukes and yellow summer squash. We ate them ALOT this summer, sauteed with onion, green beans, corn, red bell pepper and salt & pepper.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2008
1:53 AM

Post #5664213

MSKatt, That sounds great. I think she will be growing them again next year. I have decided not to grow any vine plants next year. We've had squash bugs the last two years and I'm getting a little tired of the vines crawling all over the garden so I think I will take a break from squash pumpkins and gourds next year.
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2008
2:48 AM

Post #5664474

aRGH! Squash bugs. The bane of my existence. I hate them and will most likely skip vining crops next year, too. :(
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

October 16, 2008
6:31 AM

Post #5677533

Their shape suggests stuffing, and they make a very nice vehicle for that. You can also bread and fry as you do with zucchini and yellow or crook-necked squash, or sauteed in lots of butter--YUM!

Very tasty either way.

Melis
glymar
Macon, GA

December 18, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #5905023

Sorry! What we do is go to foodtv. At recipes put in "acorn squash" bet you get a few recipes. Theres 1000's for some things.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

December 18, 2008
6:38 PM

Post #5905054

Gaah! Y'all those are simmerlings!! ( Yes, I know they are currently called patty pan, but what Granny called 'em...simmlin's)Chop a piece of bacon to smithereenies and throw it in a pan with salt and pepper. Slice up two of those lovelies and maybe half an onion and throw those on top. When the squash starts to turn clear, you're done. Heaven is what those are and the squash bugs ate mine this year!!
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2008
4:54 PM

Post #5947718

When those or this type squash get that large the skin is very hard. At this point I consider them decorative as in counter top display of tomatoes, onions, peppers and such. In time when no one is looking I slip it in the trash headed for the landfill. I certainly would not cut it apart using my band saw...but that would work. The meat is very good any way you would choose to use it. Even in a hard skin if you can get it apart I would bake or slow cook to yeild the meat by digging it out and throwing away the skin. There are definately easier squash to work with this late in the season.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2008
5:15 PM

Post #5947834

I like squash best for their decorative uses. We did eat the few we had and they were very good. Love some of the ideas. I am trying very hard not to grow vines next year but it is so hard to resist.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America