Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Turn Your Big Tomato Harvest into Fabulous Roasted Tomato Sauce: Roasted Salsa variation

Communities > Forums > Article: Turn Your Big Tomato Harvest into Fabulous Roasted Tomato Sauce
bookmark
Forum: Article: Turn Your Big Tomato Harvest into Fabulous Roasted Tomato SauceReplies: 3, Views: 90
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #5470718

Critter, please tell how you make the roasted salsa variation.
Thanks!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
6:54 PM

Post #5470752

I wasn't following a set recipe, so it's pretty much as I summed up in the article:

"I've also used Roasted Sauce as a base for a wonderful "Roasted Salsa Sauce" by adding additional diced peppers, onions, hot peppers, and lime juice to the pureed sauce."

When making the base sauce, I went a little "heavy" on the peppers (both sweet and hot) and garlic. After pureeing, the sauce went into a pot on the stove over med-low heat. I diced extra veggies (because I like chunky salsa) and added them until I got a taste I liked. I also added lime juice, and you might add a little vinegar or hot sauce if you think it needs zing. I didn't add cilantro, but that's only because I don't like it. :-)
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2008
7:14 PM

Post #5470815

Lime juice is good...that's what I was wondering, if you added more during the roasting or after the roasting, but you do both, which is what I'd have guessed.

I'm going to try this in my18 quart roaster instead of the oven.

Thank you for the fast response. Between this and your pepper articles, and your fruit leather, my food storage will be very critter influenced.
:-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
7:34 PM

Post #5470880

:-)

Actually, I only added the lime juice after the roasting, although I don't think it would make much difference either way.

I hadn't thought of using my Nesco roaster, but that's not a bad idea (keep the heat out of the kitchen), especially since I've got one of the convection versions. I've never cranked up the heat like that on the roaster... LMK how it works out for you!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Turn Your Big Tomato Harvest into Fabulous Roasted Tomato Sauce Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Can't wait to try it! davis1676 24 Aug 12, 2008 12:51 AM
yuuuuuummmy Hineni 18 Aug 21, 2008 11:21 PM
turn into leathers? cathy4 14 Sep 16, 2009 9:38 AM
roasted tomatoe sauce misskarenl 0 Aug 19, 2008 6:26 PM
pressure canning sauce cz 1 Nov 10, 2008 1:06 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America