Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Talk: Affleck!!!

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 60, Views: 321
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2008
9:19 PM

Post #5471184

Whats your favorite cement pet in the garden???

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 26, 2008
9:30 PM

Post #5471231

Does resin count or does it have to be cement? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5438650
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2008
10:55 PM

Post #5471547

I'm good for anything,papermache,if I spelled it right!LOL
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 3, 2008
11:59 AM

Post #5501959

I've got a few.

Thumbnail by bigred

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 3, 2008
12:04 PM

Post #5501971

Rubber Duckies

Thumbnail by bigred

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 3, 2008
12:07 PM

Post #5501981

by far my favorite is this rat I picked up during an after Halloween sale at Big Lots. Such a dufus looking look on it's face.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2008 7:08 AM

Thumbnail by bigred

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2008
9:33 PM

Post #5504202

Big red you have a animal farm!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2008
11:09 AM

Post #5506426

in more ways than one...LOL

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2008
10:38 PM

Post #5508921

I say if it makes me happy go for it!!!LOL
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 5, 2008
2:57 AM

Post #5509997

This is my favorite but WARNING MANY MIGHT BE SCARED! This is Carlos the Coachroach. He normally lives in the apid cities but came out to lurk under a Rocky Montain Columbine on a more important mission to attack Damien the Spawn of Satan TreeRat. Note how he's in perfect position over the Treerat hole.

Thumbnail by dahlianut

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2008
4:04 AM

Post #5510211

I think Carlos has been waiting at the hole a very long time,or maybe he's a albino!!!

I have this big frog floating in the pond on a lily pad,and sometimes I'm amazed when I see a real frog sitting on top of his head,catch myself saying,do you really think that he thinks that is his mother??? LOL
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 5, 2008
4:13 AM

Post #5510232

Aint that the truth. I got a really girly bird bath with metal birds hanging over for a drink I guess to encourage the real birds. All the real birds spent 2 months pooping on the fake birds before they would take a bath. I think we're dumber than the avrage bear.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2008
9:39 AM

Post #5510530

LOL! So true!!! LOL
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2008
12:02 PM

Post #5510810

it's my understanding that birds prefer gentley moving water so I use my bird bath for seed station. My birds love it when I turn on the sprinklers...even the hummers.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 5, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #5511316

Mine too bigred although the robins use the bath all the time and Bert the challenged Blue Jay almost drowned in it trying to imitate the robins. The robins really slay me cuz they bob up and down on the phone line at night when they want me to turn the water on.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2008
4:35 PM

Post #5511928

I catch the devil when I go out and turn off the sprinklers.

My hummingbirds have turned into peeping toms since I put in the butterfly/hummer garden right outside the picture window we put in the new addition. I'll be watching the boob tube,look up and see a hummingbird hovering at w/ it's beak almost touching the window. Probably just admiring it's own reflection but it sure looks like peeking to me...LOL
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2008
9:45 PM

Post #5513054

Ok Now I'm jealous,trained robins and peeping tom hummers!!!!
I've got the biggest trumpet vine in Kansas,and so far seen one hummer,and when he saw me,he up and high tailed it and ran!!!!LOL
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 5, 2008
10:27 PM

Post #5513178

I'm light on the hummers too Tropicman. I only see a few in mid to late August obviously on their way home to bigreds. I saw a goldfinch for the very fist time in my yard last night cool. This is the best bird time for me when all the wimpy birds pass through on their way to warmer climes. Geez what's a little -30 + wind chill. Merely brisk.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2008
10:51 PM

Post #5513245

dahlianut,what are your day and night temperatures?
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 6, 2008
12:45 AM

Post #5513693

Low 60s day. Low 40s night. I have f*r*o*s*t (sorry for swearing) sheets piled by the door. I don't let Jack touch the dahlias til early October. All my natives and fall perennials just laugh at Jack so the rest of my garden will look nice til October (usually, maybe, hope, hope).
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2008
11:27 AM

Post #5515207

My neighbor across the street has a line of humminbird feeders on her porch that look like an angry wasp nest,it's so busy with hummers...I only get 2 or 3 at my one feeder. But I do have a yard full of flowering plants they visit. They especialy like the weeping butterfly bush.

We don't get our first frost until Nov. 15th but it's chilly out this morning.Feel's nice and I'm going to happily pulling weeds as soon as it's light out.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2008
5:00 PM

Post #5516347

Well I fired up the gas heaters in the greenhouse just to see if they still work,and to make sure the thermostats would work as well,so far so good,just with the pilot on kept greenhouse above 60* lastnite when the outside fell to low to mid 50's.
I think were in for a early winter,hasn't been this cool since the early 80's here.
Better start preparing to bring my potted plants in for the winter,that means lots of pruning and debugging!!!!
chik_p
Craig, NE

September 6, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #5516714

Tropicman I think you are right about the early winter:( It seems to me that I just got all the plants out of the house and now it's time to get them ready to bring in.Already I'm missing the heat and humidity!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #5517658

Just got back from going to lowes and out to dinner,and everyone was wearing coats!!!!
It's 60* here with a little light breeze,but not heavy coats,and one guy was wearing a parker coat!!!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 7, 2008
3:15 AM

Post #5518734

Obviously a tourist :-)
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2008
3:31 AM

Post #5518782

Yeah,must have been from the south!!! LOL
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2008
11:21 AM

Post #5519492

It was cool yesterday morning.Had to put on sweat pants to work in the yard early of the am but by 10am when I took my dogs out for their walk I had changed to shorts.Never got really hot.

I don't heat my greenhouse but them I only grow perennials in them. I put my trops in my lean-to attached to the back of my house but I don't heat that one either.I usually don'y start bring in my potted trops until mid-Oct.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5520241

I have over a couple hundred palm seedlings,and not sure if they can take any temps below 50,and believe me it took half a day or better just to get them all in the greenhouse.
Then I have about 50 or more large potted plants to do the same with,using a dolly cart this year to bring them inside,legs and back can no longer lift these 100 to 200lb pots.
Then there is at least 50 plants to dig up and repot,this takes a lot of time to get done,so I really need to start early to get all this done before the first frost,and with all the overtime at work,doesn't give me a lot of time!
Your only a zone warmer,how do you get by with out using a little heat?
Does it stay above freezing out there in the lean to?
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #5520640

I only grow root hardy perennials in the big greenhouse. Sometimes it's so full,I can't get everything in for the winter so I just leave the rest outside. I don't lose many.

The lean-to faces south and the back wall is stucko(sp?). I'm always surprised what can make it thur winter w/ little or no harm.The only thing I found that doesn't like it,are orchids,african violets and epsicias.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2008
5:57 PM

Post #5520763

I know if I don't keep it at 50* at least at night time,my hibiscus and bougainvilleas,go beyond dormancy and die if the temps stay that way for a few days,we get cold spells below freezing for weeks sometimes,not even the day temps will get above freezing,my plumerias will even turn black and mushy .
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 7, 2008
8:31 PM

Post #5521269

My greenhouse is a tomato basil house in the summer. I don't heat it in the fall and usually my tomatos finish in November more from lack of sun than cold. I start heating the greenhouse in the beginning of March when I wake up the dahlias.
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #5521276

OMG! Y'all talking about all this cold weather just makes me REALLY appreciate living this far south. LOL, I'd probably be that southerner wearing the parka Tropicman! I only bring in about half of my plants from outside. The rest are on their own. My porch faces south and the brick on the house holds enough warmth that some stay green all winter and a few die down but come back in the spring.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2008
8:45 PM

Post #5521322

You lucky southerners!!!
With exceptions to the ones living in the coastal areas ,those hurricanes,can you drive you crazy,board up the house then take it down only to do it again in a few days!!!
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #5522181

I know--my son lives right ON the coast! Every time they are potentially in the line of a hurricane, we have to get ready for them in case they have to evacuate. If they have to come up, it will be my son, his girlfriend and her two kids, and her sister and BIL with their three kids. Talk about a full house! They got lucky with Gustav (he lives on the eastern side of the MS coast next to AL) and now, needless to say we're all praying hard that Ike won't hit them.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2008
4:17 AM

Post #5523124

Well there talking it heading more southwest,just depends on how much it breaks up in Cuba!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2008
10:47 AM

Post #5523555

my plumerias survive winter in the lean-to just fine
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2008
3:19 AM

Post #5527676

I tried to put a few in a dormant stage,only thing that went wrong as they wouldn't wake up and continued to shrivel up and die!
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

September 9, 2008
5:07 AM

Post #5528054

My plumerias (new cuttings, started this spring) will be spending the winter in my bathtub with my cymbidiums. LOL
We have a separate shower and don't use the tub. It has a skylight over it, I hang my vandas up by the skylight and put the rest in the tub. The orchids have always done well, so I think the plumerias will too.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2008
5:33 AM

Post #5528110

Sally be careful your roots don't get to wet during the winter,seedlings may tend to rot a lot easier than a adult plant.
Some people in the Houston Texas area,dig there up out of the ground and just keep in the garage over winter and never water at all,in fact they don't even pot them up.
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

September 9, 2008
6:27 AM

Post #5528177

Thanks Tropicman, I've actually been thinking about the garage. Water wouldn't be an issue, I don't water the orchids much in winter if at all. The vanda needs more, but the others not much at all. I need to see how much they're rooted by then, I might still need a heat pad. They're in 1 gal pots and I don't see any roots at the bottom yet. Things just take a little longer in OR. :-)
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2008
9:41 AM

Post #5528275

Your Welcome
I thought everything grew fast in Oregon!!!!
Well everything is so green!!!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2008
9:53 AM

Post #5528285

I put my plums on the top shelf and never water them during winter.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2008
10:01 AM

Post #5528295

I keep mine growing and flowering,love the fragrance when I enter the greenhouse!!!!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2008
10:06 AM

Post #5528305

it's all I can do to keep up w/ the light benches in the house during the winter so anything in the lean-to not needing care is a plus.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2008
10:11 AM

Post #5528310

Yep,I work as about as hard in the winter as I do in the summer!
In fact I'm off to work now!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2008
11:45 AM

Post #5528427

I'm waiting for it to get light out then it's back to pulling stinking weeds. All this rain has made my yard a "Garden of Weedin'". 40% chance today w/ 20-30% chances for most of the week...ACK!
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2008
1:23 PM

Post #5528689

bigred,
I think y'all have gotten more rain than we have. We got almost three days of rain out of Gustav and a good bit from Fay and I'm so thankful for all of it. I think it has left all my trees, shrubs and flowers smiling! Many of them are putting on new growth like it's springtime. We had a very long dry spell before all the rains from the hurricanes. We're supposed to get more today. If I were a kid I'd be hollering for all this rain to go away, LOL!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #5528739

I won't mind a little rain to snuggle my veggie seeds in a bit but this is the 3rd time I've sewn my fall/winter garden. The first time,armadillo dug it up...the second time...record rain fall and flash flooding washed it out.

My tree and shrubs are happy but leaves are still a little summer crisped ...and it makes it easier to pull weeds. Now if I could just talk the fireants into moving to the neighbor next door I don't like...LOL
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2008
8:31 PM

Post #5530455

OMG! All this rain has made the fireants AWFUL! I remember the armadillo digging up your garden but didn't know the second effort got flooded out. Maybe the old saying, "third times a charm" will apply to this garden effort :-) Looks like you and I are going to dodge the bullet on Ike but I feel for all the folks over in Louisiana and Texas. They are still in Ike's sights.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2008
10:11 PM

Post #5530898

Put a rope on that armadillo ,and teach him to cultivate your fields!!!!!LOL
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

September 10, 2008
5:50 AM

Post #5532594

Things certainly do grow well in Oregon. Including weeds. LOL It's just that plants that need a lot of heat do struggle a bit. Which is all right with me because I wilt in the heat. The nights are already starting to get cool, in the mid 40's. Days are in the mid 80's. I can see fall in the trees, our color show is starting. It's been such a strange summer in the PNW, late freeze, early heat, then cooler than normal, back to heat, etc...

Thank you for the advice on the plumies.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2008
9:32 AM

Post #5532728

Your welcome
yep the temps here to are on the roller coaster ride as well,fall is surely in the air here as well.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2008
11:17 AM

Post #5532856

I fenced that nasty ole 'dillo out. Wasn't much trouble. Garden was in the corner of the yard so we just had to put up two more sides. Now if I could just talk hub's into putting fence up along the front of our yard,I could let my dogs out in the yard and keep the neighborhood dogs out.

Yeah,it's been a real trip this year gardening. Spring/summer garden had stink bugs on the tomatoes,vine borers in the squash and pumpkins...deer ate every last purple hull pea so I won't be doing the big garden any more and just stick to the small backyard garden.Funny,the 'dillo didn't bother any of the plants still growing from spring sewing/planting...they just destoryed the newly sewn rows.I was afraid we were going to get another downpour yesterday and wash out the third sewing but it didn't rain hard at all.
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2008
11:56 AM

Post #5532951

Maybe we bailed you out on that downpour bigred--we got it. Before yesterday we had been getting perfect medium soaking rains. Most of yesterday's rain just ran off into the creek. We ended up with 2.2 inches and it all fell in 30 minutes.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2008
2:22 PM

Post #5533502

we had some serious flooding thur the garden...there's big ruts thur some rows and dirt washed out onto the weedblock in the apths. I'm waiting for the soil to dry out so I can sweep it back into the rows then when it's cool enough that I don't have to worry about snakes,I'm going to the brick pile and line the rows...or as many as the number of bricks will allow. Suppose to rain again today so no telling when I'll be able to sweep that soil back up.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2008
9:59 PM

Post #5535413

Fog all morning,then some rain,north cool breeze,temps finally made it to 74*,no sun in the past couple days,and there calling for rain tomorrow.
2.2 inches in 30 minutes,now that some serious rain!!!!

I catch that armadillo,and have armadillo pie,YUM YUM!
Amber_lee
Seminole, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2008
11:00 PM

Post #5535656

Hello, its rained all day here. A good rain nice and slow. It has rained so much and hard around these parts for a while now that I can't even get in my front driveway. My tin horns are crushed and the water had dug a ditch in front of the driveway every bit of two feet deep and around two feet wide. The driveway I use isn't as bad but the truck rocks back and forth like a carnival ride when I pull in it. The grader man won't fix it, I guess I am going to have to call the county and complain like that will help. LOL
I saw on the weather the other night that there have been no sunspots in the month of August, this hasn't happened in 30 years and they said that when this happens winter will come early. The leaves around here are dropping and we swear we have seen geese flying south. LOL Also we have been having low temp during the day that are breaking records.
I still have shrubs to plant. I bought a whole bunch on clearance then temps were staying over 100 degrees. I decided to wait until it cooled down to plant. They are happy but it has cooled enough to start planting. The problem is now I have way too much work to do and my get up and go is protesting. LOL
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2008
11:06 PM

Post #5535675

Now you'll have to wait for the ground to dry up before you plant.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 11, 2008
12:20 AM

Post #5536019

We're back into shorts weather. Luving the dahlias right now (no kiddin :-))

Thumbnail by dahlianut

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2008
4:37 AM

Post #5537083

Wow she's a beauty.
I'd think it be getting to cold for blooms now that far north.
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

September 11, 2008
4:58 AM

Post #5537128

We've seen the geese too. There's a lot that winter here, and I've had chickadees at my feeders already!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America