-
AuthorContent
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

August 27, 2008
5:54 PM

Post #5474695

I got this little plant from a nursery but it didn't have any other clues about its identity. I can't seem to find out what its Latin name is hence I don't know how to care for it. I doubt its hardy in Ireland and will probably need to be overwintered inside. I've grown it in a window box all summer with strawberries and it droops over the side like a proper hanging basket plant. It has typically mint like flowers but the scent is not quite so strong. It roots easily from cuttings and bits of it root in the compost as it trails merrily along.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2008
6:32 PM

Post #5474870

I don't know if this is what you have, but I googled and turned up this interesting little blurb on growing menthol mint in India: http://tcdc.undp.org/sie/experiences/vol7/Menthol Mint_India.pdf

You might consider bringing a bit inside over the winter as a pot plant and seeing if the rest of the plant will winter over outside in your zone. Mint can surprise you!
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

August 27, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #5475326

I think its Satureja douglasii. I did a bit more research after I posted this thred and it seems to be the one. Couldn't take a look at your link Critter cos my puter wouldn't let me Lol. I am definatly going to bring the whole plant into the greenhouse over the winter and keep as many cuttings going as I can. Its too good to lose and I may want to swap some.
BTW do you know anything about French Tarragon, I want to take some cuttings from it and am not sure how to go about it. Any tips would be very much appreciated. It's quite a rare plant to have here and is not hardy - trouble is I've had it so long I keep increasing the pot size every year and I've got a really massive plant now - tends to take up a lot of space. I prefer to sow seed as cuttings can be a bit dodgy with delicate things here over the winter months. I never get any seeds from this one though as I keep using the leaves for cooking so it never gets a chance to flower. Thanks for the help :-))
Rosie
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2008
8:58 PM

Post #5475406

Sorry about the link... it was just about commercial propagation.

DeBaggio says French Tarragon is usually sterile.

I think it's one you can propagate by dividing the plant (separate smaller outer crowns or circles of leaves and their rootballs from the main plant by cutting down through the roots) or by rooting tip cuttings. Hopefully somebody will come along who has grown tarragon and can help you with it... I keep meaning to add it to my herb garden but don't actually have one yet. (*gasp*) I'll have to remedy that next spring!

If you don't get any responses about tarragon on this thread, try posting the ? on a new thread with "dividing tarragon?" in the subject line. :-)
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 27, 2008
9:19 PM

Post #5475472

Just put in a french tarragon division this past weekend. My friend just took a sharp spade and cut out a piece of her large plant for me. It lived in a plastic bag for a week before I got into the ground and is doing fine so I think dividing is the way to go.
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

August 27, 2008
9:50 PM

Post #5475610

Ouch! Sounds drastic dahlia. I'll take a closer look at my plant and see if I can find a natural break. Thanks for your help both of you.
:-)) Rosie
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2008
10:09 PM

Post #5475688

I think that sort of chop sounds like what I've heard other people suggest for dividing tarragon... seems the roots can get pretty dense, so you'll probably need a sharp, sturdy knife or a good spade.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2008
10:09 PM

Post #5475694

I think that sort of chop sounds like what I've heard other people suggest for dividing tarragon... seems the roots can get pretty dense, so you'll probably need a sharp, sturdy knife or a good spade.

If your original plant is just getting too big, you might consider digging up the whole thing... once you rinse away some of the dirt, you'll be able to get a better look at the roots, and that will tell you how to go about hacking it into pieces for replanting. :-)
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 27, 2008
10:24 PM

Post #5475748

It had pretty strong, tangled roots. She had to jump on the shovel to get a cut (sorry I know that sounds abusive oops). Reminded me of dividing daylilys.
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

August 28, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #5476072

My French Tarragon in a pot so I don't need to dig it up and although its large it really only has one stem though this stem is very near the base of the plant. I think if I'm careful I can get a few root cuttings which won't make me feel so terrified.
Thanks for your advice though - I'll use a sharp instrument when I've got a few more plants I think - just in case I miss lol

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America