A dying juniper tree...aka "gourd trellis"

San Antonio, TX

I got a crazy idea last spring and decided I wanted to plant gourds. Well, I ordered 50 seeds, 48 germinated, and only ONE made it in the ground. I thought it would be good to plant by this dying juniper/cedar tree that my husband refuses to cut down...I thought it would grow just a little bit. hahahaha As you can see, it has made a beautiful green canopy on the dying limbs. There is still a little juniper green, but mainly gourds. It's pretty cool to stand under the tree and look up. I'll post a pic of that on a follow up thread. So, when will the gourds stop growing? I still have new blooms every day, but not all develop, that's really ok... I have around 30 growing right now. I teach kids with mental retardation and autism...I'd love to let them paint these gourds...will they be ready for the kids this school year? I live in San Antonio, zone 8b

Thumbnail by ErinSaTx
This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!