Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ErinSaTx
San Antonio, TX

August 28, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #5476271

I got a crazy idea last spring and decided I wanted to plant gourds. Well, I ordered 50 seeds, 48 germinated, and only ONE made it in the ground. I thought it would be good to plant by this dying juniper/cedar tree that my husband refuses to cut down...I thought it would grow just a little bit. hahahaha As you can see, it has made a beautiful green canopy on the dying limbs. There is still a little juniper green, but mainly gourds. It's pretty cool to stand under the tree and look up. I'll post a pic of that on a follow up thread. So, when will the gourds stop growing? I still have new blooms every day, but not all develop, that's really ok... I have around 30 growing right now. I teach kids with mental retardation and autism...I'd love to let them paint these gourds...will they be ready for the kids this school year? I live in San Antonio, zone 8b

Thumbnail by ErinSaTx
Click the image for an enlarged view.

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2008
1:12 PM

Post #5497802

I loove it!!

The gourds may be dry by some time in the spring...depends on the size of the gourd how long it will take to dry...Leave them on the vine as long as you can...even after frost...Jo

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America