Photo by Melody

Article: Some Like It Hot! Making Hot Sauce from Homegrown Chile Peppers: Good Job Jill

Communities > Forums > Article: Some Like It Hot! Making Hot Sauce from Homegrown Chile Peppers
bookmark
Forum: Article: Some Like It Hot! Making Hot Sauce from Homegrown Chile PeppersReplies: 11, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2008
12:13 PM

Post #5477714

Making all the Salsa that I can is one of my fav. things from working in the garden. I make everything from Fuego and curl your toes action to simple and basics. Thank you for bringing this wonderful to the masses here on Daves.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2008
12:30 PM

Post #5477754

Salsa is fabulous! Whether it's store bought or from our garden, it's even better when we can "doctor" it with homemade hot sauce. I'm glad you liked the article! :-)
kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2008
5:17 PM

Post #5478902

What a great article! Loved the photos and the recipe makes my eyes water :)

Great job Jill!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2008
5:47 PM

Post #5479007

I hope you're inspired to give it a try! Not all hot sauce is super-hot. This recipe lends itself well to toned-down versions. We made "Hoppin' Bunny" sauce last year with mild 'Bulgarian Carrot' peppers and some other barely-hot peppers. I can eat it by by spoonful, and friends who can't "handle" hot sauce at all just love it. You can mellow and sweeten it at the end with a splash or two of fruit juice concentrate, too.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2008
8:58 PM

Post #5479754

Yum, yum, and I missed the Farmer's Market today, darn it all. Well, just wait til next week! Thanks, Jill...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2008
10:06 PM

Post #5480007

Hot peppers are probably just starting to come in in earnest, especially if you like red-ripe ones (farmer's markets are one of the few places where I can find red jalopenos and serranos, which have loads of flavor). Pick some up next week and give it a try! (Wasn't your daughter harvesting hot peppers like mad, too?)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #5480234

Yes, she strung them on a thread and took them to Arizona from Boston, LOL. (Coals to Newcastle, ha ha!) But you're saying her plants might not be done?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #5480245

I hope she has better luck than I did when I tried that... the fresh chiles that I strung rotted and got fruit flies while we were out of town. Eew! Somebody told me I should have dried them first, then strung them.

Coals to Newcastle, indeed!

Yes, the plants should keep on producing until frost... see any more blooms?
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

August 28, 2008
11:28 PM

Post #5480324

Hooray! Another enjoyable article by Jill. Good job kiddo.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2008
12:48 AM

Post #5480677

Thanks, Deb... you are a darlin'! :-)
zhinusmom
(Trisha) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #7117355

Great Job! Love the article Jill, of course I love hot stuff...grandpa gave me my first hot pepper when I was about 15 months old...now I always have fresh peppers, dried peppers, pickled peppers or hot sauce of some sort available!

Trisha
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #7117807

15 months! LOL Guess that's no different than my folks giving me a kosher dill pickle just to see the faces I'd make (I think they had the movie camera out also).

We eat a lot of spicy food, too. I wonder what our girl will make of it! Right now, it's just formula for her, and that comes in only one flavor, bland. If I'd been able to breastfeed, she'd be getting garlic and chiles, LOL... I'm pretty sure capsicum gets expressed in breast milk.

I hope you'll be inspired to try some new hot sauces from your garden!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Some Like It Hot! Making Hot Sauce from Homegrown Chile Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hot Article phicks 15 Oct 10, 2009 10:38 PM
can i freeze the hot suace? anngan 1 Sep 1, 2008 7:13 PM
HOT phicks 1 Sep 29, 2009 8:23 PM
great article taynors 2 Sep 30, 2009 12:37 AM
Thai "chicken dipping" sauce billure 1 Oct 6, 2009 6:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America