Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Winter Daphne Dying!

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 8, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hpyndixie
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2008
12:29 PM

Post #5477748

My Daphne has done extremely well..in a pot for 4 years. I noticed yesterday it was drooping so this morning I went to check on it and the leaves are turning black and I think its dying!!! It happened so suddenly. I LOVE this plant HELP! I lost one last year also...the same thing happened. Is it a disease?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2008
1:55 PM

Post #5478082

It could be fungal, I'd check on your watering, I don't think they especially like wet feet (and drooping can be a sign of too much water as well as too little). But honestly Daphnes are rather prone to sudden death like this, it's common enough that some people invented the word "daphnecide", so it could be that there was something just the teensiest bit off from the conditions it would like and it decided to die. Or if it's been in the same pot in the same potting mix for 4 years, it could be that it needs to be repotted, the potting mix compacts and loses its structure over time and collapses the air pockets and that can increase the chances of something like root rot.
Hpyndixie
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2008
10:27 PM

Post #5480092

It happened so fast in the one last year I thought someone put something in the pot. Now the same is happening to this one... it must have just decided to die! It even had new growth on it! I will repot it and see if that saves it but I think I'm out of luck. How often should they be repotted?

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2008
10:40 PM

Post #5480139

There's a lethal virus disease of Daphnes, spread by aphids. I'd not be surprised if that's what's done yours in.

Resin
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2008
1:05 AM

Post #5480770

Repotting depends on a lot of things--if a plant is growing quickly it'll often get rootbound within a year or two and then you need to repot because of that. If it's not growing quickly and you're growing in standard potting mix, it tends to collapse and lose its structure over time, so in a perfect world you'd probably replace it about annually, but a lot of people will go longer than that. If you've got something that's not going to be growing a lot and want to keep it in a pot for a long time without having to replace the potting mix, check out tapla's stickies in the container gardening forum, he's got some good recipes for mixes that will last longer without losing their structure. Resin's probably right about the virus though.
Hpyndixie
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2008
11:07 AM

Post #5482070

Thanks for the info. I never saw anything on it and it is in a huge pot. It even had new leaf sprouts then BANG it was dying. Well...don't know that I'll try daphne again. But man...I loved the scent...and in winter to boot!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5482673

Was it a relatively small plant in a huge pot? That can cause problems too--when you have a huge volume of soil and a small little rootball, the soil can hold a ton of water but the plant can't take up all that water very quickly, so it winds up having wet feet for much longer than is ideal. You can sometimes get away with this if you're careful on the watering, but it makes it much easier to accidentally overwater.
Hpyndixie
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #5484408

No it wasnt a really s mall plant and it definately didn't get too much water. I know they don't like wet feet. The only thing I can think might have happened is I watered it regularly (but let it dry out between)and fertilized it well during the summer then let off the both during our wet time and August. Its on a covered porch (and yes in the shade) so maybe it dried out too much after the watering and nutrition it got during the summer. ????

Thumbnail by Hpyndixie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Hpyndixie
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2008
10:16 PM

Post #5484414

closer

Thumbnail by Hpyndixie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America