Photo by Melody

Antiques and Collectibles: How would I go about selling this Herend piece? Other stuff?

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 18, Views: 505
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #5478328

Times are tough...as we all know. My husband left behind this Herend tureen, Victoria design, in perfect condition. It's spent most of the time well packed in a box.

It's listed at $1700+.

I have no idea how to sell something like this. If I list it on ebay, I have to pay fees whether or not it sells and that's a risk I don't want to take. Ebay doesn't seem to have the momentum it once did and has become pricey.

I also have my Great Grandmother's Autumn Jewel tea dishes that will need to be sold. Lots of serving pieces, some perfect, most with some wear as they were the regular dishes in the house. I'll just keep one place setting and perhaps a pitcher or bowl for the memory...

Then there are the Breyer animals from my great-uncle (from the 60s) and two other sets of china - turquoise magnolia and pink long stemmed rose...I had been collecting so that I could set a table with all different flowers. That was a while ago - those two sets have been packed since 2003.

Do you think DG classified is a good venue?
I've listed on craigslist but have generated a lot of spam emails, people saying they are buying, but need all this personal information in poorly written English (non-native speaker). I'd replied to one with additional photos then got the second email with all the specs the buyer wanted me to fulfill to get payment. I wrote back that I only accepted paypal and never heard anything again. When I compared the two email addresses from the buyer, I noticed they are one character different.

I'm in a remote area, too, so hard to get to. Have concerns about a parade of folks coming over, as well, since I live alone (with 6 dogs and a cat) out here.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

:-)

Thumbnail by 4paws
Click the image for an enlarged view.

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2008
12:00 PM

Post #5482162

I sent you a dmail. Lets see if we can help 4paws! Ive been selling on ebay since 2001. I can only give some advice.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 29, 2008
12:10 PM

Post #5482191

I would look around for a live auction house or a good online auction company. We have a couple in the Twin Cities area that are very good. One I watch & have been to many times is; www.lutherauctions.com
They have auctions every Monday evening, all consignments. Items like your tureen are sold on the last Monday of the month & bring very good prices. They charge a % of what your item brings.
I'm not sure how the online auctions work for the seller, but I have bought on there at times.
Another way that items seem to command good prices.
Google "auctions" & see what comes up for your area.

If you were closer, I would be over there in a flash!

Your Glads are doing great in their 2nd year here.

Bernie
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2008
1:00 PM

Post #5482352

www.auctionzip.com and you can find all auctioneers in your area. Go to a antique group shop in your area and they can tell you the auctions they attend. Dont jump on an auctioneer until you know thier reputation.
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2008
3:00 PM

Post #5482858

Good idea about the auctions, and Bernie, things ship!
I'm glad your glads are doing great - mine didn't come back like I expected them to, but some did and I love them so much!

Schick, thanks so much for your dmail...I went back and looked at ebay. It might be the way to go. The china sets will be so heavy to ship, however. I have to get brave and start walking into some shops and simply asking...of course, shops are a long way away.

I adore living remotely, but in many ways it can be limiting. :-)

Thank you so much!
Laura
megano24
Ellenboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #5491234

Hey check out Ruby Lane, I have heard only good things about there... But I'm not sure on how you become a seller on there,,,
pfllh
Prattville, AL

September 2, 2008
12:25 PM

Post #5497671

Have yourself a day out to check the shops. First google and see what antique shops are within so many miles of you. Check for Hall Autumn Leaf. Jewell Tea just sold it or you got it with points or something.
I have my mother's and all I remember is the brown Jewell Tea van. I also got some pieces at antique stores and at a convention. I wasn't at the convention but stayed at the hotel where they were meeting. I saw a sign in the hallway where they were selling pieces in one of the rooms. People were selling their duplicates at very reasonable prices.
Perhaps you could check on line or with the antique dealers as to Hall collector clubs or places interested in them and check about the tureen at the same time. If an antique dealer, you would probably be OK with them coming to your house but I'd still maybe have someone there with you.
Just know that if it's a dealer and they want it for resale, they won't want to pay near value. It's a business for them and profit margin is right there on top of their brain.
If you'd like, once you decide on a price and which pieces, I may be interested in some of it.
Just don't let anyone talk you into selling it cheap. Take care
Lynn
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2008
1:51 PM

Post #5497966

Thank you, Lynn. I live a very far distance from everywhere, but I have some ideas on how to proceed now. I am again reconsidering ebay per schickenlady's suggestions. There is also a flea market in Eureka this weekend, so I'm thinking I'll go there to network and put out a few things.
pfllh
Prattville, AL

September 2, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #5498168

Sure hope you find a way to sell the dishes. If not, let me know about the Autumn Leaf and maybe I'll want some.
Take care
Lynn
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2008
2:43 PM

Post #5498178

I will.
I haven't faced them yet.
Thank you!
pfllh
Prattville, AL

September 2, 2008
2:58 PM

Post #5498245

You are more than welcome.
Lynn
Strever
Hiouchi, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 12, 2008
9:47 PM

Post #5783570

PM sent
toniwill
Natural Bridge, VA

November 29, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5840690

4Paws, have you found homes for your dishes yet?
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2009
12:11 PM

Post #5964067

4Paws, For something as pricey as a Herend Tureen, I agree that Ebay or a private well established quality auctioneer are the only ways to go. These venues would most likely bring you the highest price.

I've watched the Ruby Lane site and the same items seems to be listed for months at a time.

Have you looked up the purchase price that Replacements would be willing to pay?
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2009
4:45 AM

Post #6140633

Hi...I sold the tureen on ebay. That worked out well prior to Christmas. I haven't even tried to sell the dishes yet. I have mixed feelings about them. :-) Collections - we have them for reasons, even if keeping them might be unreasonable, eh?
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 24, 2009
8:23 AM

Post #6181926

Did you get a good price for your tureen? I always hate to pay the fees when things don't sell on ebay.

Thanks,
Sandy
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #6184815

I am the same, Sandy, and I've backed off from eBay. Sales were not so good overall, and the fees are high, but the price for the tureen in today's economy was acceptable and desperately needed.

Thank you for asking.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2009
8:16 AM

Post #6187333

I am happy you got a good price for it. I need to sell off some things to catch up on bills but I have no idea where to start. I am sure it will work out when it is Gods timing.

I am happy for you.

Sandy
pfllh
Prattville, AL

February 25, 2009
8:44 AM

Post #6187342

Perhaps if they fit into one of the categories, you might want to try the Marketplace here on DG. If not, what about Craigslist? Just be sure not to be by yourself if strangers are coming to your home. I always check the list for things i need. Then there's always the good ol' yard sale or advertise in the local paper or local trade magazine.
Goodluck
Lynn

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America