Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cameras and Photography: Nikon D-60

Communities > Forums > Cameras and Photography
bookmark
Forum: Cameras and PhotographyReplies: 19, Views: 208
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dayflower
Gonzales, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2008
4:35 PM

Post #5478750

does anyone out there use the Nikon D-60? I'm thinking of getting one of those. I like to do close ups of flowers that fill the whole frame. Also I enjoy taking pictures of scenery in the distance such as mountains.(wide angle) What all do I need extra besides what comes with it, the 18-55 lens? Thanks

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #5478775

I recently purchased the D60 and I love it. It's easy to use and has many functions I have yet to learn or try. I have another lens with it. A 70-300mm. My DB sent me a polarizing lens for it and I also have close-up lenses for them.

Here're two pics I've taken with this camera. The first is a hummingbird 30' up in a pine tree in my neighbors yard with the 70-300mm lens. The picture was cropped and enlarged.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2008
4:43 PM

Post #5478782

The second pic was taken with the 70-300mm with a 4x close-up lens attached.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2008
4:47 PM

Post #5478795

It is also awesome for flowers. I should mention that the extra lens is a Sigma lens, not Nikon. I got the Sigma because of cost, not ability.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

dayflower
Gonzales, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2008
7:06 PM

Post #5479332

are those micro screw on attachments onto the end of your lens that you are using for the 4X? Thats the kind of photography that I love to do. I use to raise daylilies and take photos of each flower for indentification. I still keep a flower record of my garden. I use to have a Pentex film SLR until I dropped it and broke the back. It was almost as much to fix the door as the camera was worth so I just went to a digital small Pentex Optio 4m 3X digatal. It has been a real good little camera and nice to just slip in your purse or pocket but I want another Big Girl camera. I don't like to delay of the small automation digital which they say I won't have with the SLR.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2008
7:15 PM

Post #5479372

Yes, the screw on kind. The software that comes with the camera is great, too. I took this pic of the lenses and in less than a minute from taking it, I could post here.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

dayflower
Gonzales, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #5480284

OooooK, thats the same thing I had with (or still have) with a Cannon AE1 film SLR thats so old that no one wants anymore. It still works great, but who wants to worry with film cameras anymore??? not me. I use to use the heck out of it and enjoyed it so I think I'll really enjoy the D60 if I can do close ups like that again. Thanks, you've been so much help to me with making my decision.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #5480955

Glad I could help. I love it when I find someone with the same obssession. ☺
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #5481070

dayflower, Heres a link that may help you out with what you may be looking for...http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm
I have a D80 and I get a lot of close-ups and also wide angle, If you would like to see any photos from the D80, Heres a link to some of the photos.. http://www.pbase.com/irislynx/nature__on_the_small_side

This message was edited Aug 28, 2008 10:08 PM
dayflower
Gonzales, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2008
2:43 PM

Post #5482785

Thanks, those shots were outstanding...but I'm afraid the D80 is a little bit more that I am going to be able to spend, not being a professional.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2008
4:26 PM

Post #5483226

dayflower, The D40, D60, D80 will all pretty much get the same shots with the same lenses, I wish I had looked more into these camera's before I bought the D80, Not that I'm not happy with my D80, But, I could have got a D40 for a lot cheaper price and pretty much still got the same quality photo as the D80 as they are so very similiar. ...I'm by far, not a proffesional either. If you check out that kenrockwell site above it will help you understand the little differences there are between these cameras. ( I don't know why the site didn't post as a hyperlink, but, If you just copy and past it to google, or write it in to google, It will take you to his site.) Either way, I wish you good luck in whatever you decide on.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2008
4:30 PM

Post #5483240

IRIS, it worked for me. Great pics, I thought.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2008
5:43 PM

Post #5483508

kwanjin, Thanks, I know the pbase link works, But, I was referring to the ken rockwell link or is that the one that worked for you?
PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

August 30, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #5484910

Here's the link to Ken Rockwell site: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm
(above link didn't work due to missing space between ... and http:/ )

In the world of SLR the camera body is one thing but the lens is as important if not more important than the camera body itself and it's wise to spend a little extra money on a higher quality lens.

As for close-up Photography:
Filter type close-up lenses are a nice low cost option for macro photography but they create rather pronounced distortions.
Higher end filter type close-up lenses like Canon 250D or 500D have much less distortion but are rather expensive.
Extension tubes (e.g. Kenko Auto Extension tubes) are the next best thing to dedicated Macro lenses and can be used with most lenses and price wise fall in between filter type and true macro lenses.
The best are true macro lenses with 1:1 Max. reproduction ratio but those usually cost an arm and a leg :)

Here a shot done with a true macro lens (Nikon Micro 105 F/2.8 VR), I've used multiple flashes and a Starburst 4 filter to get the effect.

Thumbnail by PanamonCreel

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2008
1:08 AM

Post #5485151

PanamonCreel, Thanks for fixing the link and for all the good info, Also, That's a Great example shot with the true macro lens. A higher quality lens is always better but pricing shoots right up with them, I always think it's best to save and get the lens type that would be used most as the higher quality lens, Unless of course, Moneys not an option, But, With most people, It usually is.
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2008
2:07 PM

Post #5621124

I have the Nikon D40X and it is a good camera, but I wish I had the D80, lol. Mine was bought for me so I didn't want to push the price too high, and I didn't really know what was the best option for my needs anyway. I got the kit lens with it plus bought the 55-200mm VR lens. Remember on all these Nikon cameras (except the high end ones) the zoom equivalent is 1.5 times as they don't have a full size sensor, thus a narrower field of view. So 200mm is actually equiv to 300mm on a full size D/SLR.

The D40X has only 3 focus points along the horizontal plane, in most cases this is fine but when I wanted to take pics of a star constellation there was no way I could do that as they were too far spread, lol! The D80 has 11 points, and is the camera recommended for attaching to a telescopel, lol, not that I have one of those either but I can dream. It does have a few extra advantages to the D40X, at the moment I couldn't point out more of those. They both have a Sony CCD sensor, the D60 and newer models have a CMOS sensor which is cheaper and not as good but many are now using it in their newer models. They are adding in so many more features which I doubt I would use, nor would many others, it would be better to use a higer quality sensor but the market is all about offering more and more features just now.

The two lens I would rather have with this camera are the 18-200mmVR IF, more money but it offers a wider range of zoom in one lens, good for doing close ups on insects etc. I use the 55-200VR all the time, minimum shooting distance is about 44" but I can get closer by using 'spot' focus and metering. Minimum for the 18-200 is around 20", the IF is internal focus which would help to stop dust particles getting in through the manual zoom. I noticed a tiny green bug crawling on the inside of mine, lol, don't know where it went! The next cheapest must have lens would be the 70-300mmVR for me, giving equivalent of 450mm zoom for longer bird shots but that would come after the 18-200 in priority. The kit lens, 18-55mm doesn't come with VR (vibration reduction) and I consider that essential for easy hand held photography, although I did use it for the first week and got reasonable shots with it, I can't be bothered always having to change lens.

Of course it would be great to be able to afford the 600mm high quality f2.8 lens, with a 2x convertor, giving a possible 1800mm zoom! Not sure if the convertor comes into the 1.5x equation, the lens here cost around 6,000 or close on $12,000! Convertors not cheap either.

My advice, if you think you might be wanting to use the camera for more than simple shooting, and if you don't want to spend a fortune but can afford a little more, is to go with the D80, it has some features the D200 has.

Also, the DX format cameras (D80 and D200 included) don't have a motor in the body, it's in the lens so full auto functioning is only available with AF-S and AF-I type G & D lens which have the motor in the lens. Newer ones are now coming out, it's essential to carefully check what is compatible and that can be a headache until you get familiar with them!

Read on NIkon's site about the D200 and D80,

http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/en_GB/products/broad/1083/overview.html

http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/en_GB/products/broad/777/overview.html

I would prefer to go for a body without lens and buy a good lens, or get a kit with lens you want in the first place. The money saved on a kit for lens you probably won't use can be put towards better lens, unless of course the kit comes cheaper!

This message was edited Oct 1, 2008 2:11 PM

This message was edited Oct 1, 2008 2:26 PM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #5621181

Dayflower, did you ever get your camera?
dayflower
Gonzales, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #5621468

No, its probably going to have to be a Christmas present...but I think I'm going to follow Ken Rockwell's advice and settle on a 40D and get the upgrade in the flash and the lens. Sounds like he does a lot of his photography with his 40D. That was a good website. Thanks.
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2008
3:40 PM

Post #5621497

Best to make that the 40DX, the 10.1MP upgrade, the 40D is less and more pixels enables you to crop smaller, therefore a bigger object.
dayflower
Gonzales, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5623403

good tip, thanks...the type of photogophy that I enjoy is landscape senery, mountains, etc, and flowers, close ups. I'm a gardener, so I keep a picture catalog of all my plants, and I enjoy micro.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America