Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Some Like It Hot! Making Hot Sauce from Homegrown Chile Peppers: Hot Article

Communities > Forums > Article: Some Like It Hot! Making Hot Sauce from Homegrown Chile Peppers
bookmark
Forum: Article: Some Like It Hot! Making Hot Sauce from Homegrown Chile PeppersReplies: 15, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 28, 2008
8:24 PM

Post #5479626

Real Good Article Paul
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2008
10:06 PM

Post #5480008

I'm glad you liked it! I hope you'll give the recipe a try... if you find a fun variation, please post it!

:-)
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 28, 2008
10:08 PM

Post #5480016

Ok
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #5480049

Recipe sounds yummy..thanks.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2008
10:56 PM

Post #5480212

The tomatoes give it a lot of body & richness. I hope you'll try it! :-)

(Hey, if anybody prints it out... please let me know if that background color on the recipe works out OK... that's a new thing I tried, and I like the way it looks but don't want it to mess anybody up!)

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2008
4:52 AM

Post #5481688

I printed it, since we have hot peppers and tomatoes coming out our ears about now. It didn't print the background color, just the borders and pictures. Looked great! DH will be so happy, and I'll be glad to reclaim my crisper drawer! LOL

When I hit "Print Preview" and then "Page Set-up" button, it gives me a check-box for if I want to print the background color. It is unchecked by default. HTH

Angie

PS Forgot to say, the article looks great! I keep looking to your articles for layout and design ideas!

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2008
5:04 AM

Post #5481726

Thanks, that's good to know! I tried to pick a light enough background color that if somebody did print it out in greyscale with the background color, there'd be enough contrast to be legible.

I appreciate the compliment on the layout... I don't really do anything very fancy with the editor software, but if I can ever be of assistance, just holler!

By the way, this sauce is a great recipe for "lackluster" tomatoes, especially if you're using really hot peppers (you won't notice the flavor of the tomatoes so much over the heat anyway). I've got a couple of plants this year (previous favorite varieties) that are producing absolutely flavorless tomatoes -- like supermarket ones! Bah!

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2008
5:19 AM

Post #5481786

I think it will be the habanero recipes that will really get DH excited. He loves those little bombs, and we have twice as many plants this year as usual. I can't see how he can TASTE anything other than pain when he eats 'em, but to each his own, I guess.

Sorry to hear about your tomatoes! I've also been a tad disappointed in mine. I tried a bunch of heirlooms I've never had before, and they aren't quite living up to the hype. Maybe it is just the first ones that are kind of bland, and later ones will knock my socks off? I was just dying to sink my teeth into that first Cherokee Purple, and it wasn't really anything that special, though clearly better than a supermarket tomato. The Black Cherry was heavenly, though, and the Mortgage Lifter is quite tasty, too. :o)

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2008
5:31 AM

Post #5481810

Here, 'Potato Top', 'Black Russian', and 'Brandywine Yellow' are taste test winners so far, with 'Wisconsin 55' doing very well also (I'm just a little less partial to the reds). But some others are unbelievably bland this year! Give 'Cherokee Purple' another try; this has just been a strange year.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 1, 2009
8:44 PM

Post #7124250

Tomatoes!
I raised brandywine this year too and forgot that I did!
Thanks for reminding me that I planted that variety too. I did not remember it,--- of course that was what that really good, but off colored red tomato was! It was the best it the bunch. Oh, I thought it was beef steak or steak sandwich. I was really mixed up in what I planted! That is what happens when you try too many varieties.

Hot peppers
My husband retired last winter, and was all sad about it, so I bought him a whole variety pack of hot peppers. He did really well with it (too well). There was one variety I don't know what it is? It is round and about the same size as a bell pepper but a little pointed at the bottom. It's flesh is not very hot, but the seeds are. Would you have any idea what that might be?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 2, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #7125106

That might be some sort of pimiento pepper, which can vary in heat. "Half-sharp" paprika is made with the inside membranes and seed and is much sharper than "sweet" paprika (both made from pimiento types, I'm pretty sure).

Glad you and your DH are having fun with all your veggies!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 4, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #7132112

Oh, paprika!!! Well, I had no idea where paprika even came from. I though paprika was from some exotic herb from South America or something, how interesting!
Oh dear, I threw out the seeds, and just canned the flesh!
I do have some more in the garden. Maybe I will dry and grind them and see if my hubby would like the sharp paprika.
I just sweat when I think what we first did with all those hot pepper when we harvested the first bunch! We canned them all up together, seeds and all - whew- more hotter than nuclear-- I think it went to a new type of hot like plasma!
After that we separated the different types of peppers and canned separate> Except the cayennes, I just dried them.
I read somewhere that you just put a whole, dried cayenne pepper on top of a pot of chili and after the chile is done take it OUT!
Thanks for the information!.

This message was edited Oct 3, 2009 11:21 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 5, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #7135514

I usually seed all my hots, because that way I can add more to a dish (for flavor) without getting overwhelming heat.

Have fun!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 10, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #7153562

Okay, you are absolute right about taking out those seeds. I made pumpkin soup tonight, and my hubby got so proudly out a jar of his first batch of hot peppers (the one with all the different varieties of hots mixed together with seeds). He mixed a little in with his soup, and he has heartburn really bad. He says it even burns down into his stomach. He is in the bathroom right now rumaging through the drawer for some rolaids.

I don't think he is having fun right now!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 10, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #7154294

Oh, no!

Any dairy product is good for putting out the fire. Carbonated drinks seem to make the mouth-burn worse. Hopefully the antacids helped his heartburn!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 10, 2009
10:38 PM

Post #7155774

Yeap!
He said the tums took care of it.
I told him this morning that I could open each jar and try to separate the seeds from the peppers or something.

He said, "Oh no, he just would only put a little in for now on.

Thanks for the suggestions.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Some Like It Hot! Making Hot Sauce from Homegrown Chile Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good Job Jill MitchF 11 Sep 29, 2009 11:30 PM
can i freeze the hot suace? anngan 1 Sep 1, 2008 7:13 PM
HOT phicks 1 Sep 29, 2009 8:23 PM
great article taynors 2 Sep 30, 2009 12:37 AM
Thai "chicken dipping" sauce billure 1 Oct 6, 2009 6:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America