Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Recipes: Lonesome Man Chili

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 10, Views: 213
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2008
2:18 AM

Post #5485470

I copied this from a Marlboro Cookbook...

Lonesome Man Chili

4 lbs. Round steak
1/2 C. all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
5 Tbs olive oil, divided
40 cloves garlic, peeled
1 Cup beef broth or water
1/2 Cup whiskey
6 to 10 dried small red Chile peppers

Trim steak and cut into large chunks, about 1/2 inch square. Combine flour, salt and pepper. Roll beef in mixture. Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a deep, heavy skillet. Brown meat on all sides. Remove meat from skillet.

Reduce heat and add 1 tablespoon oil and garlic; cook until garlic is golden. Add broth, whiskey and chile peppers to garlic. Put browned meat on top of garlic; cover and cook slowly until beef is tender, about 1 hour.

Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

August 30, 2008
4:39 AM

Post #5485829

Did you make it? 40 cloves of garlic seems like an awful lot, and there's only meat in it? I love chili, but this one seems very different from what I'm used to.
planolinda
Plano, TX

August 30, 2008
4:09 PM

Post #5487010

it really is very different! not tomatoes (sauce, chopped, paste) --there is a 40 clove chicken recipe and it doesn't taste as strong as you would think--honest!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2008
5:43 PM

Post #5487353

If garlic cloves are left whole, they become very mellow and sweet when they are cooked. It's just when they are sliced or pressed that the strong flavor comes out. That's why roasted garlic bulbs are so tasty, when you can spread the individual cloves on crackers or toast. Or squoosh it into your mashed potatos.
planolinda
Plano, TX

August 30, 2008
6:55 PM

Post #5487572

so that's the secret--do not cut or press when cooking if you want the mild flavor--thanks--
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2008
9:29 PM

Post #5491640

Yes, I've made it a couple of times! I love it. I sliced up the garlic, but didn't smash it..
If your craving a meat & potatoes dish, this will fix you right up!
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2008
10:11 PM

Post #5491766

Sounds interesting:) Bet it would be great with fresh warm tortillas:)

I remember watching some cooking show where they used garlic and just wanted a mild garlic flavor and mentioned that the more you cut, smash and mince the stronger the garlic flavor becomes. For the mildest flavor, leave it whole or cut in half. If you don't want people to bite into a piece of garlic, fish it out before serving.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2008
10:51 PM

Post #5491869

Maybe all the garlic is why it is "lonesome man" chilli!

It does sound delicious. :-)
planolinda
Plano, TX

September 1, 2008
12:43 AM

Post #5492189

too funny!!
Goblinmama
Gibraltar, MI

October 14, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9305259

Have had the Marlboro cookbook this recipe was in since it came out, but never tried it 'til last week.

No beans, no tomatoes, just - basically - meat, garlic, whiskey and the dried red peppers. The flour used to coat the meat thickens the liquid.

Also used one can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce which gave it nice smokey burn.

Easy to prep, needs little tending, and my darling boyfriend has insisted that I enter a batch in the Joker's M/C Chili cook-off on the 20th, because he loved it so much.. Wish me luck! I'm REALLY looking forward to browning 10# of meat and peeling 100 cloves of garlic! NOT!!!

QUESTION : Does anyone have an idea how many quarts one (1) batch makes?
Goblinmama
Gibraltar, MI

October 21, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9311412

Addendum to previous post: After peeling 100 cloves of garlic & all the other work involved, I didn't even place 3rd out of a mere 7 entrants!
That being said,it appears the winner brought in 18 friends.
Folks mentioned that it looked more like a stew than chili.
I decided that cutting the chunks of meat into smaller pieces in order to go further was NOT a good idea as the increased amount of flour used made more of a gravy than possibly intended.
I also added a small (6oz or so) can of chipotle's in adobo sauce, which gave the product a pleasant burn..

Those who tried it, though, went back for seconds.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America