Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: I Called It Jellamy: Canning: You make me smile.....

Communities > Forums > Article: I Called It Jellamy: Canning
bookmark
Forum: Article: I Called It Jellamy: CanningReplies: 3, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2008
3:14 PM

Post #5490432

every time I read one of your articles.

And today you took me back to my grandma's musty basement in Denver, to the old canned-goods cabinet at the foot of the stairs, next to the wringer-washer...LOL!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2008
3:17 PM

Post #5490443

Ha...but did it have a dirt floor??? That is a whole new series of scents, you know!
I could spook myself out in every cellar I went into.

Nice to hear from you again.
Thank you.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2008
4:39 PM

Post #5490681

No dirt floor, but Grandma was FAR from the world's best housekeeper, so it was plenty dirty...LOL! And the basement had flooded before my time, so it was always an olefactory adventure. Especially when the washer overflowed, which it always did. Grandma didn't believe in having light bulbs bigger than 15 watts, so the basement was always full of creepy shadows. It had a few of those typical useless little ground-level windows, which were always grimy and covered with daddy-long-legs webs. It was furnished with stuff Grandpa brought home from his job on the back of the trash truck ("Just tell people he works for the city!" my mom used to say), stacks of ancient National Geographics, and things from their previous lives---before the family fell on hard times---which they hadn't been able to sell. It was cool and dark in the summer when it was over 100 in the shade, and chock-a-block with interesting things that little girls weren't supposed to get into, but which I couldn't wait to explore! There was one sort of nice room with glass-fronted bookcases (which I would kill for today) that contained full sets of Dickens and Shakespeare and Carl Sandburg. The recliner and lamp in that corner were indications this was probably where Grandpa fled when he needed a refuge from whatever was going on upstairs...

My grandma was a wonderful cook and gardener, and always made the best canned peaches, cherries, rhubarb and green beans from the trees and garden in her tiny city yard. Guess that's how I come by it, because there sure wasn't anyone else in the family I knew who ever liked diggin' in the dirt or foolin' around with plants!

Thanks again for dredging up more childhood memories, Sharran----our backgrounds probably couldn't have been much more diverse, but there are still a lot of common threads!

Janet
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #5490692

:-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: I Called It Jellamy: Canning Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
:-) 4paws 6 Aug 23, 2009 2:23 AM
Good phicks 1 Aug 31, 2008 8:35 PM
Great memories Shar! heavenscape 1 Aug 31, 2008 11:53 PM
Jellamy Aunt_A 3 Sep 1, 2008 10:49 PM
Jellamy fantastic shelair62 1 Sep 2, 2008 4:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America