Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Ornamental Gourds: Is this normal mold or is there something I need to do?

Communities > Forums > Ornamental Gourds
bookmark
Forum: Ornamental GourdsReplies: 12, Views: 110
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ErinSaTx
San Antonio, TX

August 31, 2008
6:54 PM

Post #5491107

Most of my birdhouse gourds look really good, but a few have these marks on them. I just want to make sure I'm on a good track. Thank you!!

Thumbnail by ErinSaTx
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2008
6:58 PM

Post #5491129

Mold is part of the curing process . . . it is mold "spots" that give some gourds their pretty dried patterns . . . keep an eye on it, though . . . if it starts to shrivel, then it likely won't survive. How big is your gourd? Have you been growing gourds long? Which part of SA are you in?
ErinSaTx
San Antonio, TX

August 31, 2008
11:45 PM

Post #5492040

This is my first year to grow gourds and I am loving them. I only planted 1 gourd plant this year (birdhouse gourd) and it has taken over a tree we had that was dying. I have it here on this forum (the title is something like 'what to do with a dying tree'). I want to plant more gourds, different types, next year. I just counted 25 gourds earlier today and most are 12"-16" long, but there are a few that are about an inch long. I still have lots of blossoms on the vine, do you? Sorry to ask you so many questions, but I am so excited to find someone in SA that knows about gourds! I am a few miles north of 281N & 1604N. What about you?

Thumbnail by ErinSaTx

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2008
12:01 AM

Post #5492081

On just one vine, you've had a better year than me - on over a dozen vines! Maybe they have better rainfall up towards Evans Rd! I am between Kirby & Converse off of FM78.

If they survive, I will have: 3 bushel gourds and 5 or 6 apple gourds. I will have 1 full size TN spinner, and a few really dinky ones (they are grape size, but look healthy-ish). The one swan gourd I had on a vine died due to those horrid cactus things cutting the vine . . . there is another vine, but it may be too late for any gourds to develop . . . we'll see.

I've harvested 3 luffa's . . . and I noticed this weekend that there is another almost full size luffa, and 3 baby ones . . .

I do have one - so far - of what I hope is a short-handle dipper gourd. Last year, only one gourd made it through (I kept forgetting to water the pot it was in!), and it was more pear shape . . . I'm hoping the lack of regular water stunted the handle growth. These vines, though, have had more regular watering . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #5507156

ErinSaTx, that looks more like a scar than mold to me. I wouldn't worry about it, as it looks like just the outer layer was injured. It makes the finished gourd more interesting in my opinion. If you can get hold of a good gourd book (somebody help me out, I can't remember her name!!!) you'll find examples of things people do to gourds while they're very young, such as put boxes around them to make them grow square.
ErinSaTx
San Antonio, TX

September 4, 2008
9:26 PM

Post #5508704

Syramuni, you have such a great variety! I just have the one kind and I am sure it's dumb luck that I have so many on the vine.

Brigidlily, the gourds do tend to rest against the tree branches and bang during strong wind. So, thank you! The book sounds really interesting. I'll search this forum and the book review one to see if I can find that book. Thanks for the info!
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #5511318

Okay, someone here knows the name, and I forgot to look for it yesterday when I got home. The book is (I believe) "Gourds in Your Garden"?
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2008
3:40 AM

Post #5514520

Her name is ...ya hadda ask, didn't ya...??

OH Yeah...Ginger...Ginger Summit...or Sumit
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2008
2:17 PM

Post #5524261

How could I forget that? Great books.
ErinSaTx
San Antonio, TX

September 13, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #5546991

Thank you for the name of the book! I haven't been on the internet in over a week, so I apologize for the delayed thank you. My one gourd plant is really going crazy. Crazy in a great way. It has 32 gourds currently growing on it and I counted 5 new babies (from about 2"-4" last night. I'll have to get the book and see what crazy ways I can "warp" my gourds. :-)
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2008
9:08 PM

Post #5547696

WOW! I think I'll move to SA...Jo
fiberholic
Saint David, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2008
5:41 AM

Post #5553285

Well, mine have gone crazy too the last couple of weeks with all the rain. I have a bunch of babies...probably as many new ones as I already had on the vines. Crazy!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2008
1:32 PM

Post #5553957

Well...I like St David too...LOL Jo

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America