Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Upper Midwest Gardening: need help finding shade tree

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

queenbeez

queenbeez
Brooklyn Park, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 1, 2008
2:43 AM

Post #5492614

hello i need help finding a tree that won't get wider than 17 feet and atleast 15 feet tall.our kitchen gets to much sun.
soapwort243
South Milwaukee, WI

September 2, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #5496219

A poplar is tall and thin and grows very rapidly.
I have a flowering plum, which is tall and thin and just gorgeous in spring when it blossoms. Actually with the dark colored leaves, it's pretty all the time. (If you can find a double flowering one, it is exceptionally beautiful.)
Another idea might be a hedge that can be trimmed to size or a lilac tree could trimmed to shape.
medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2008
3:08 AM

Post #5501211

How about a Redbud or Pagoda Dogwood? I was trying to find a tree about this same size to underplant under our Ash tree that our wonderful tree trimmer destroyed by hacking off a large branch that provided some wonderful shade on our patio. I couldn't scream fast enough for him not to cut it off! Errrr, still gets me mad. Personally, I would go with a Midwest native tree for hardiness.

Our local Arboretum has a nice website that you might find helpful to select a tree. The website is mortonarb.org, choose Plant Trees, choose Selection Guide, then a list will come up.. if you choose Native Trees to Midwest a whole list of native trees will come up sorted by height but there's a bunch of other information there too that may help you. Give it a try, you might find something useful there to help in your selection. I would think all Midwest natives could handle your climate as well as ours here. Good luck with your choice.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America