September Daily Weather, What's happening in your yard?

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Here we set with two storms tickling the belly and toes of the USA.
We are moving into Fall with a slow sultry stroll.
Hoping folks are safe and loved by someone.
Here in Jax it's humid, warm and still.
Please come by with your pictures and daily weather.
Here's a repeat to bring us into the September dance.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning! :-) It looks like Gustav is going to stay well east of us. If you follow the red line that goes along the coast to the west (in the picture at the bottom), it stops just before a big bay. That's Galveston Bay, and Houston is just to the west of it. Here's our weather forecast for this week:

Quoting:
Labor Day...Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Breezy. Highs in the mid 90s. North winds 10 to 15 mph in the morning increasing to 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon.

Monday Night...Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance after midnight. Breezy. Lows in the mid 70s. Northwest winds 15 to 25 mph.

Tuesday...Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Breezy. Highs in the mid 90s. Northwest winds 15 to 25 mph.

"Breezy"... umm.. yeah. LOL Actually for Texas, the worst areas are probably going to be well away from the coast as Gustav stalls in Northeast Texas. Slow storms are very bad things, and this one is just going to sit there, barely moving, all week. Much flooding is bound to ensue. And of course, a lot of the evacuees have headed in exactly that direction, where they think it will be "safe." They didn't need the storm to follow them!

Here's the weather forecast for Tyler, Texas, about 200 miles north of Houston, and home to "our" Dave & Trish: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Tyler&state=TX&site=SHV&textField1=32.3284&textField2=-95.3036&e=0

Note the "Hurricane Statement." We don't have one of those, and we're on the Gulf!

This message was edited Sep 1, 2008 12:16 AM

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's a beautiful morning here, partly cloudy, sunny at the moment, almost calm and 13C (55F). Fall is here. Eventhough it's still pretty warm, the sun is getting low and the shadows loooong ...... and the leaves are starting to turn. It's been a long and warm summer and for the first time in years (maybe ever! ) I actually feel at peace with summer being over :-) Most of the flowers have finished anyway ...... well except for the roses, they're all covered in buds that probably won't open but that's to be expected. What's different this year is that all of them have flowered already so there are no "first buds" that will get ruined by frost :-) Some have even started they're second flush or are just about to :-)

Gustav made the news here yesterday - doesn't look good for Louisiana. Hope it won't be as bad as predicted.

Thanks for your comments everyone. I'll be busy this week getting ready for our trip (I hate that part of traveling). The weather's so nice today I just want to play outside ;-) lol

Sally/billyporter: great photo of you and the grandkids - I second Marsue - you don't look old enough to be a grandma ;-) lol

Marylyn - glad Gustav won't get too close to your area - hope it stays that way!

Sharon - how's Gary doing?

We got a very heavy afternoon shower yesterday after a nice sunny day ....... it reminded me of Florida's afternoon showers (except the temperature was around 55F ;-) Selma thought it was very cool :-) lol

Hope everyone is well and safe!

Ran

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 7a)

Oh gosh! I never knew how much I would be scared for other people when I signed on to DG!!! You keep safe, all who are in the line of fire.

Rann, your girls always amaze me how they can handle the weather and cold like they do. No sweater? Mine would have been running for the car! LOL

58F with 63 as the high.
Feels like: 58F

Barometer: 29.8 in
Dewpoint: 48
Humidity: 69%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 9 mph WSW
Sunrise: 6:55 AM
Sunset: 7:58 PM
UV Index: 7

We had LOTS of rain last night and it's continuing throughout today. We had hail the size of peas not too long ago. The cats were outside and I called them in just in time. Both came on the run when I called! LOL It was very funny. So far, we've had 1.24 " with more coming. Yea!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Selma looks very pretty there with her umbrella.

Marilyn: Hope "breezy" is as bad as it is for you.

Anyone else in Gustav's grip, stay safe and We're thinking of you.

Currently, sunny off and on, intermittent showers and breezy. Only 84F, tho. Very humid. We're preparing to welcome TS Hanna by the end of the week. I really hope she just fizzles out, but not likely.

Deb
(This is the pine tree that worries me whenever it gets too windy. :> )

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That's a beautiful photo of Selma Run, Rann! :-)

It's a gorgeous day here. Not a cloud in the sky, a light breeze, 91. We're praying for the folks in the path of the storm. Please do keep an eye on Hanna, Deb. It's working its way out of the shear that was keeping it disorganized, and now it should intensify into a hurricane fairly quickly. And there are 4 more potential storms in the Atlantic now, too. Must be September.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ric: your "pup" seems to be saying: "I don't think this area is on the level!"
Marylyn: I hope "Breezy" is as bad it gets for you, too. We have an 80% chance of rain tomorrow but that is mainly for the SW 1/4 of the state--the aftermath of the outer bands of Gustav.
With all the media attention focused on Gustav, I haven't heard too much about Hanna lately so thanks for that report, Marylyn. Deb, Sidney and Sharon, I hope you are not adversely affected by Hanna.
Deb: that pine tree would worry me, too!
Rann: Selma is certainly pretty in pink. She looks dressed for more like our 80 and 90 weather--not 55! I suppose what one considers "warm" is relative. LOL
Celia: that's a great photo of the hummer. I have had two hummers fighting over my feeder today but since it is right outside the back door, if I opened the door to try to get a pic, they would both fly away. I guess I'll have to sneak around from the front and surprise them! LOL I'm glad you got some rain but sorry about the hail.

Today
Mostly Sunny
High 90F
Precip 20%
Wind: E 15 mph
Max. Humidity: 61%
UV Index: 9 Very High
Sunrise: 6:41 AM CT
Avg. High: 88F
Record High: 106F (2000)
Tonight: Cloudy
Overnight Low 73F
Precip 20%
Wind: E 12 mph
Max. Humidity: 79%
Sunset: 7:34 PM CT
Avg. Low: 64F
Record Low: 54F (1967)

Sharon: just look at these babies on the Donkey Ears. Altogether there are a total of 8 babies growing on the tips of the leaves.

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

Our hummer's were doing some sort of dance yesterday. It was half fight, half mating dance. Not sure what was going on but it was fun to watch. It went on for about an hour and a half.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

I couldn't get them both in the same frame, though.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Good job catching them in flight, C.

Oh great. Hanna's already a hurricane. Sharon? Sidney? Whaddaya think? :-S
Deb

This message was edited Sep 1, 2008 3:40 PM

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

If my Hummingbirds were doing what Celia's are I would be packing.
However all is calm.
Can't believe Houston is calm too.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Its been a long weekend, but Gary has made it through without having to be hospitalized. His temp was borderline, but never got to 101.5 Whew. Im tired and am working on a sinus infection.

Sidney Love the start picture!
Marylyn Still breezy or is it blustery yet?
Rann Such a beautiful picture of Selma Run! She is stunning!
Celia Great pictures of the hummers! I think they are so cute when they chase each other around the garden.
Deb We have a couple of younger pines that I wouldnt mind having cut down. They bend and snap so easily.
Marsue Ive been snapping off the newbies on donkey ears and tossing them in the soon to be burn pile. Donkey ears looks very healthy as does your poinsettia! One of our neighbors has a burn container that he is going to loan us when we get cooler and after the storms move through. Ike has now been named. I believe the Southern states that have suffered drought conditions for the last couple of years will be out of drought by the end of the storm season.
Deb I made sure that our supplies are up to date this weekend, had to replenish some items. The boys (inc Jeffrey) always seem to manage to dig into the supplies.grrrr. Looks like Hanna will hit somewhere between Jacksonville and Southern SC. WX isnt sure at this point.

82.8 F / 28.2 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 72 F / 22 C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.98 in / 1015.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 88 F / 31 C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0.0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2500 ft / 762 m
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft / 4572 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Now
Through 645 PM...widely scattered showers and a possible thunderstorms continue to develop across northeast Florida. The showers area moving west to northwest at 15 to 20 mph. The heaviest activity will move into areas Jacksonville...Hillard...Taylor and Crescent City. Expect brief gusty...heavy downpours and dangerous lightning with thunderstorm activity.

Tonight
Partly cloudy and breezy. A chance of showers and evening thunderstorms. Low 76. Northeast winds 15 mph with gusts to 25 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

It was very humid today. Our high was only 86. My hummers are very camera shy.

This message was edited Sep 1, 2008 6:47 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sharon: good to hear from you. Glad Gary made it through without having to be hospitalized. I believe you are correct about the drought-ridden Southern states being out of drought by the end of hurricane season. Even way up here in central Arkansas the clouds and wind are starting to move in from the East which is highly unusual for us. Our weather patterns usually come from the West/Southwest. Our wind is picking up but nothing drastic yet and certainly nothing compared to what our friends on the Gulf coast are receiving.

Good hummer photos, Celia and Sharon.

Currently 86, cloudy and breezy.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sharon: I know what you mean. I will be checking our "Cane Kit" tonight to see if I
need to top it off this week. I 've no doubt I'll find DH has raided it since I last
checked.

Glad Gary didn't have to go to hospital.

We had a few passing and very light showers today. Forecast for the next 3 days is
"clear and sunny". Then Friday it says 70% chance of rain. Hmmm. Why might that be?
Deb

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Labor Day for families and picnickers and whatever else young people do on Labor day. Warm and DRY. 85 degrees right now. I will have to turn on the soaker hose tomorrow to keep things from dying.

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

It was 86º here today also.
spurts of rain.
;)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Glad to hear Gary fought it off Sharon!

Rann Beautiful shot! Course starting w/ a Beautiful Daughter doesn't hurt.

Well my Cuban Friends haven't checked in yet but they evac'd
to the Eastern part so they should be fine.
Communications w/ them is spottie in good weather.

Hot and HUMID here today.
Now THIS is Labor Day Weather!
We also appear to be in Hanna's path....

We got the boards up today for some more floor work.
First some excavating must be done.
Our neighbor Jon is going to take me to Lowe's for the OSB and HardiBacker Board.
He has a flatbed trailer and we can make short work of it.
We still haven't settled on a tile color...
Robyn is thinking of doing a Tile Rug design though..............

I LOVE Hummer shots!
We are down to filling the 5 feeders twice a week now.
I still haven't had time to get many pictures.

Here's my new favorite plant.
A 'Chocolate Silk' MG

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Does it smell/taste like chocolate? :) I loooooove chocolate!

My chocolate mint it smells like chocolate when I water it. Chocolate mint is great with vanilla ice cream.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

In the right light it looks a pale chocolate brown.

Here's a CU

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ric: I see why it's your new fave. It's absolutely beautiful.

That's a gorgeous bloom!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

And Variagated Foliage!
I REALLY like those nils MG's...
So far no seeds though.......
If it seeds we will probably get out of the 'regular' MG strains

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That's beautiful, Ric!

Yayyy for Gary, Sharon!!

Breezy has just been breezy so far.. The wind blows hard enough to drop pecans on our roof, but not enough to drop branches. It's supposed to pick up a little tomorrow, but mostly north of town. We'll probably still just be breezy. :-)

This message was edited Sep 1, 2008 9:26 PM

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

WOW! Ric, that is one sweet MG! May I use it for my desk top? :D please?
Sharon, So glad that Gary's temp didn't go any higher! :D I was dreading another hospital stay for him. I never heard of chocolate mint! Now wouldn't That be a treat! :D And love the hummer! :)
Se_eds, Glad that you got some rain! :D I think that we will be getting some real rain in the near future...named Hanna! From the looks of the noaa link that Marylyn posted, she may be headed straight for us, after she hits Savannah.
Deb, LOL! "Hmmm" Does Hugo come to mind? Hugo---Hanna----Get it? Maybe it's an "H" thing. How tall is your pine? Is it close to the house? DH says that pines have rally deep tap roots (not easy to topple over). Are they easily broken?
Marsue, Has Gustav hit you? Did he get close? Hope you are safe! Your Donkey Ears are really neat!
Celia, For a hour & a half! Cool pics!
Rann, What a gorgeous pic of Selma. :D She is really growing up to be a beauty! :D
Sidney, That's a beautiful pic, but it doesn't look like FL. I love the barn scenery. ;)

We've had another hot & sticky day here...90 on the deck, but a cool 72 in the house! ;D
Jack stayed inside all day & now he is out running around. Hope he does find another skunk! :-O

The answer to the trivia is....C
Wichita, Kansas is located in the heart of Tornado Alley, and thunderstorm outbreaks are taken very seriously. Of course, Albuquerque, Phoenix, and Las Vegas are not in Tornado Alley, and are located in areas where mountains abound.

Today's trivia is...
The wind is a very strong factor in this city's weather. Conditions here are harsh (due to its higher latitude) and drier (due to its distance from any appreciable source of moisture).
a) Milwaukee, WI
b) Minot, ND
c) Detroit, MI
d) Cheyenne, WY

Nite All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 7a)

I got as far as Gary not having to go to the hospital and then I quit. I'm tired. I'll catch up tomorrow. Good night, all!

And thanks for the compilments. It means a lot to me when you all say that.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Joey - I'm going with B on the trivia. That's a beautiful cluster of blooms! What are they?
Celia - Hope you slept well. I slept like a rock! LOL!
se_eds - Sounds like a great day, but I do wish you'd get some rain. Maybe you'll get rain from Hanna.

79.7 F / 26 C Oh gag....
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 70 F / 21 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 29.95 in / 1014.1 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 83 F / 28 C
UV: 0.0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2400 ft / 731 m
Mostly Cloudy 3500 ft / 1066 m

Today
Partly cloudy and breezy. A chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms in the morning...then a slight chance of showers in the afternoon. High 85. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Thumbnail by MySharona

There's another tropical depression forming. More info is given when you roll the cursor over the icons.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#HANNA

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Joey: The pine I mentioned is about 60 feet tall and leaning toward the house. They snap like toothpicks! :) Just have to hope if it goes, it goes toward the street. Depends on the wind direction.

Still hoping Hanna (and yep, another H) will just fizzle out or turn out to sea.

Cooler here today, got into the upper 60s overnight for the first time in a few weeks.
Hi will be mid 80s. Sunny and clear.
Deb

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Beautiful chocolate morning glory, Ric!
Joey: Gustav has made it up our way, but as a greatly-weakened system. It started raining around 6:30 a.m. and is continuing in the form of a slow, steady drizzle. Currently, the wind is out of the East at 16mph with gusts of 21 mph. Tornadoes are possible but none in the area at the moment. There isn't any thunder or lightning right now, either. Our current temp is 76F which is considerably cooler than it has been. This will continue on into Wed. and possibly Thursday so we should have our share of rain over the next few days. Flooding will be a concern in low-lying areas but of no concern in our immediate area.
Celia: hope you got some rest last night. That's a pretty fern or fern-like plant in your photo.
Deb, Sharon and Sidney: I hope Hanna "fizzles out", too, except for just being a rain producer for those who need the rain.

Today
Rain / Wind
High 79F
Precip 90% (currently 100%)
Wind: E 19 mph
Max. Humidity: 84%
UV Index: 4 Moderate
Sunrise: 6:42 AM CT
Avg. High: 87F
Record High: 104F (2000)
Tonight: Heavy Rain / Wind
Overnight Low 72F
Precip 100%
Wind: E 18 mph
Max. Humidity: 89%
Sunset: 7:33 PM CT
Avg. Low: 64F
Record Low: 53F (1965)

Scaevola(fan flower)

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 3b)

46 Overcast and breezy.
Hopefully the worst of Gustav is over and Hannah won't be too bad. What a wild time down there.
We had a wonderful time while gone and enjoyed the quiet and serene views of changing seasons.
This is from a short hike to get a better view the vast expanse of tundra as we left the more mountainous area.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Dall Sheep; this group stayed in the area and we watched from our RV site as they meandered across the slopes.

Thumbnail by kiska

Hi Kiska!!

Updated link on Hanna
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?5day?large#contents

(Zone 3b)

Hi~ wow~looks as if it's at your doorstep and sugarweeds, and so many others futher north and west. Huge. Take care.

(Zone 7a)

Wow, cool pics, everyone.

I slept! Yea! Didn't wake up until 10:12am after going to sleep around 11:30pm.

Yes, it's a fern.

57F with 86 later.
Feels like: 57F

Barometer: 30.2 in ↓
Dewpoint: 31
Humidity: 37%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:56 AM
Sunset: 7:56 PM
UV Index: 8

Bloodgood maple.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Pretty pics of the tundra, Kiska. What's that reddish looking flower/plant?

Hanna certainly appears to be heading your way, Sharon, Sidney and Deb. Y'all take care!

Glad you got some sleep, Celia! Pretty maple leaf.

still having alternate periods of slow drizzle, harder rain and then no rain. Currently 77F

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi, everyone! I am very sad today because I've just heard the news that our friend Trois has passed away 2 days ago of a liver cancer. Here's the link to the Memory thread :

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/898616/

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Adina: So sorry to hear the news about Trois. I didn't have the pleasure of knowing him since I didn't post on the same threads as he. However, I know all of his friends and family will greatly feel the loss. My heart goes out to all of you who knew him.

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh Trois was such a special man.
I just loved him and missed him when he quit posting weather.
Trois was the designer of cement rocks that he landscaped his Santa Fe, Texas place with.
He was smart and funny and quick witted.
Sidney

Deb Ahh the 60s.sounds wonderful!
Marsue I love the fan flower! Ive never seen those!
Kiska Great pictures! Looks like you had a really nice time.
Celia I bet that maple is gorgeous! Are all of the leaves red?
Adina Thank you for the link to Trois. He will be sorely missed here.

79.2 F / 26.2 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 58%
Dew Point: 63 F / 17 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 3.8 mph / 6 km/h
Pressure: 29.98 in / 1015.1 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 81 F / 27 C
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3000 ft / 914 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy and breezy this evening. Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms in the evening. Low 74. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph...decreasing to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Strawberries!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

My sympathy to the family of trois. What a feeling "family" DG has created.
marsue~the plant is dwarf blueberry; the bog blueberry shrubs get to be about 2 feet tall; we didn't get any berries this time; too late and most had already dropped.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images