Photo by Melody

Weather: September Daily Weather, What's happening in your yard?

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 195, Views: 1,570
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2008
4:48 AM

Post #5493041

Here we set with two storms tickling the belly and toes of the USA.
We are moving into Fall with a slow sultry stroll.
Hoping folks are safe and loved by someone.
Here in Jax it's humid, warm and still.
Please come by with your pictures and daily weather.
Here's a repeat to bring us into the September dance.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2008
5:11 AM

Post #5493069

Good morning! :-) It looks like Gustav is going to stay well east of us. If you follow the red line that goes along the coast to the west (in the picture at the bottom), it stops just before a big bay. That's Galveston Bay, and Houston is just to the west of it. Here's our weather forecast for this week:

[quote]Labor Day...Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Breezy. Highs in the mid 90s. North winds 10 to 15 mph in the morning increasing to 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon.

Monday Night...Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance after midnight. Breezy. Lows in the mid 70s. Northwest winds 15 to 25 mph.

Tuesday...Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Breezy. Highs in the mid 90s. Northwest winds 15 to 25 mph.[/quote]

"Breezy"... umm.. yeah. LOL Actually for Texas, the worst areas are probably going to be well away from the coast as Gustav stalls in Northeast Texas. Slow storms are very bad things, and this one is just going to sit there, barely moving, all week. Much flooding is bound to ensue. And of course, a lot of the evacuees have headed in exactly that direction, where they think it will be "safe." They didn't need the storm to follow them!

Here's the weather forecast for Tyler, Texas, about 200 miles north of Houston, and home to "our" Dave & Trish: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Tyler&state=TX&site=SHV&textField1=32.3284&textField2=-95.3036&e=0

Note the "Hurricane Statement." We don't have one of those, and we're on the Gulf!

This message was edited Sep 1, 2008 12:16 AM

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2008
10:35 AM

Post #5493285

Good morning!

It's a beautiful morning here, partly cloudy, sunny at the moment, almost calm and 13C (55F). Fall is here. Eventhough it's still pretty warm, the sun is getting low and the shadows loooong ... and the leaves are starting to turn. It's been a long and warm summer and for the first time in years (maybe ever! ) I actually feel at peace with summer being over :-) Most of the flowers have finished anyway ... well except for the roses, they're all covered in buds that probably won't open but that's to be expected. What's different this year is that all of them have flowered already so there are no "first buds" that will get ruined by frost :-) Some have even started they're second flush or are just about to :-)

Gustav made the news here yesterday - doesn't look good for Louisiana. Hope it won't be as bad as predicted.

Thanks for your comments everyone. I'll be busy this week getting ready for our trip (I hate that part of traveling). The weather's so nice today I just want to play outside ;-) lol

Sally/billyporter: great photo of you and the grandkids - I second Marsue - you don't look old enough to be a grandma ;-) lol

Marylyn - glad Gustav won't get too close to your area - hope it stays that way!

Sharon - how's Gary doing?

We got a very heavy afternoon shower yesterday after a nice sunny day ... it reminded me of Florida's afternoon showers (except the temperature was around 55F ;-) Selma thought it was very cool :-) lol

Hope everyone is well and safe!

Ran

Thumbnail by rannveig

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #5494029

Oh gosh! I never knew how much I would be scared for other people when I signed on to DG!!! You keep safe, all who are in the line of fire.

Rann, your girls always amaze me how they can handle the weather and cold like they do. No sweater? Mine would have been running for the car! LOL

58F with 63 as the high.
Feels like: 58F

Barometer: 29.8 in
Dewpoint: 48
Humidity: 69%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 9 mph WSW
Sunrise: 6:55 AM
Sunset: 7:58 PM
UV Index: 7

We had LOTS of rain last night and it's continuing throughout today. We had hail the size of peas not too long ago. The cats were outside and I called them in just in time. Both came on the run when I called! LOL It was very funny. So far, we've had 1.24 " with more coming. Yea!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2008
5:00 PM

Post #5494363

Selma looks very pretty there with her umbrella.

Marilyn: Hope "breezy" is as bad as it is for you.

Anyone else in Gustav's grip, stay safe and We're thinking of you.

Currently, sunny off and on, intermittent showers and breezy. Only 84F, tho. Very humid. We're preparing to welcome TS Hanna by the end of the week. I really hope she just fizzles out, but not likely.

Deb
(This is the pine tree that worries me whenever it gets too windy. :> )

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2008
5:08 PM

Post #5494387

That's a beautiful photo of Selma Run, Rann! :-)

It's a gorgeous day here. Not a cloud in the sky, a light breeze, 91. We're praying for the folks in the path of the storm. Please do keep an eye on Hanna, Deb. It's working its way out of the shear that was keeping it disorganized, and now it should intensify into a hurricane fairly quickly. And there are 4 more potential storms in the Atlantic now, too. Must be September.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2008
5:50 PM

Post #5494562

Ric: your "pup" seems to be saying: "I don't think this area is on the level!"
Marylyn: I hope "Breezy" is as bad it gets for you, too. We have an 80% chance of rain tomorrow but that is mainly for the SW 1/4 of the state--the aftermath of the outer bands of Gustav.
With all the media attention focused on Gustav, I haven't heard too much about Hanna lately so thanks for that report, Marylyn. Deb, Sidney and Sharon, I hope you are not adversely affected by Hanna.
Deb: that pine tree would worry me, too!
Rann: Selma is certainly pretty in pink. She looks dressed for more like our 80 and 90 weather--not 55! I suppose what one considers "warm" is relative. LOL
Celia: that's a great photo of the hummer. I have had two hummers fighting over my feeder today but since it is right outside the back door, if I opened the door to try to get a pic, they would both fly away. I guess I'll have to sneak around from the front and surprise them! LOL I'm glad you got some rain but sorry about the hail.

Today
Mostly Sunny
High 90F
Precip 20%
Wind: E 15 mph
Max. Humidity: 61%
UV Index: 9 Very High
Sunrise: 6:41 AM CT
Avg. High: 88F
Record High: 106F (2000)
Tonight: Cloudy
Overnight Low 73F
Precip 20%
Wind: E 12 mph
Max. Humidity: 79%
Sunset: 7:34 PM CT
Avg. Low: 64F
Record Low: 54F (1967)

Sharon: just look at these babies on the Donkey Ears. Altogether there are a total of 8 babies growing on the tips of the leaves.

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2008
6:30 PM

Post #5494724

Our hummer's were doing some sort of dance yesterday. It was half fight, half mating dance. Not sure what was going on but it was fun to watch. It went on for about an hour and a half.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2008
6:31 PM

Post #5494729

I couldn't get them both in the same frame, though.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2008
7:39 PM

Post #5494961

Good job catching them in flight, C.

Oh great. Hanna's already a hurricane. Sharon? Sidney? Whaddaya think? :-S
Deb

This message was edited Sep 1, 2008 3:40 PM
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #5495038

If my Hummingbirds were doing what Celia's are I would be packing.
However all is calm.
Can't believe Houston is calm too.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2008
10:43 PM

Post #5495599

Its been a long weekend, but Gary has made it through without having to be hospitalized. His temp was borderline, but never got to 101.5 Whew. Im tired and am working on a sinus infection.

Sidney Love the start picture!
Marylyn Still breezy or is it blustery yet?
Rann Such a beautiful picture of Selma Run! She is stunning!
Celia Great pictures of the hummers! I think they are so cute when they chase each other around the garden.
Deb We have a couple of younger pines that I wouldnt mind having cut down. They bend and snap so easily.
Marsue Ive been snapping off the newbies on donkey ears and tossing them in the soon to be burn pile. Donkey ears looks very healthy as does your poinsettia! One of our neighbors has a burn container that he is going to loan us when we get cooler and after the storms move through. Ike has now been named. I believe the Southern states that have suffered drought conditions for the last couple of years will be out of drought by the end of the storm season.
Deb I made sure that our supplies are up to date this weekend, had to replenish some items. The boys (inc Jeffrey) always seem to manage to dig into the supplies.grrrr. Looks like Hanna will hit somewhere between Jacksonville and Southern SC. WX isnt sure at this point.

82.8 F / 28.2 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 72 F / 22 C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.98 in / 1015.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 88 F / 31 C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0.0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2500 ft / 762 m
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft / 4572 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Now
Through 645 PM...widely scattered showers and a possible thunderstorms continue to develop across northeast Florida. The showers area moving west to northwest at 15 to 20 mph. The heaviest activity will move into areas Jacksonville...Hillard...Taylor and Crescent City. Expect brief gusty...heavy downpours and dangerous lightning with thunderstorm activity.

Tonight
Partly cloudy and breezy. A chance of showers and evening thunderstorms. Low 76. Northeast winds 15 mph with gusts to 25 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

It was very humid today. Our high was only 86. My hummers are very camera shy.

This message was edited Sep 1, 2008 6:47 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #5495681

Sharon: good to hear from you. Glad Gary made it through without having to be hospitalized. I believe you are correct about the drought-ridden Southern states being out of drought by the end of hurricane season. Even way up here in central Arkansas the clouds and wind are starting to move in from the East which is highly unusual for us. Our weather patterns usually come from the West/Southwest. Our wind is picking up but nothing drastic yet and certainly nothing compared to what our friends on the Gulf coast are receiving.

Good hummer photos, Celia and Sharon.

Currently 86, cloudy and breezy.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2008
11:28 PM

Post #5495818

Sharon: I know what you mean. I will be checking our "Cane Kit" tonight to see if I
need to top it off this week. I 've no doubt I'll find DH has raided it since I last
checked.

Glad Gary didn't have to go to hospital.

We had a few passing and very light showers today. Forecast for the next 3 days is
"clear and sunny". Then Friday it says 70% chance of rain. Hmmm. Why might that be?
Deb
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #5495852

Beautiful Labor Day for families and picnickers and whatever else young people do on Labor day. Warm and DRY. 85 degrees right now. I will have to turn on the soaker hose tomorrow to keep things from dying.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2008
12:26 AM

Post #5496078

It was 86º here today also.
spurts of rain.
;)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #5496218

Glad to hear Gary fought it off Sharon!

Rann Beautiful shot! Course starting w/ a Beautiful Daughter doesn't hurt.

Well my Cuban Friends haven't checked in yet but they evac'd
to the Eastern part so they should be fine.
Communications w/ them is spottie in good weather.

Hot and HUMID here today.
Now THIS is Labor Day Weather!
We also appear to be in Hanna's path...

We got the boards up today for some more floor work.
First some excavating must be done.
Our neighbor Jon is going to take me to Lowe's for the OSB and HardiBacker Board.
He has a flatbed trailer and we can make short work of it.
We still haven't settled on a tile color...
Robyn is thinking of doing a Tile Rug design though...

I LOVE Hummer shots!
We are down to filling the 5 feeders twice a week now.
I still haven't had time to get many pictures.

Here's my new favorite plant.
A 'Chocolate Silk' MG

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2008
1:09 AM

Post #5496248

Does it smell/taste like chocolate? :) I loooooove chocolate!

My chocolate mint it smells like chocolate when I water it. Chocolate mint is great with vanilla ice cream.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2008
1:20 AM

Post #5496326

In the right light it looks a pale chocolate brown.

Here's a CU

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #5496332

Ric: I see why it's your new fave. It's absolutely beautiful.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2008
1:30 AM

Post #5496390

That's a gorgeous bloom!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #5496454

And Variagated Foliage!
I REALLY like those nils MG's...
So far no seeds though...
If it seeds we will probably get out of the 'regular' MG strains
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #5496678

That's beautiful, Ric!

Yayyy for Gary, Sharon!!

Breezy has just been breezy so far.. The wind blows hard enough to drop pecans on our roof, but not enough to drop branches. It's supposed to pick up a little tomorrow, but mostly north of town. We'll probably still just be breezy. :-)

This message was edited Sep 1, 2008 9:26 PM

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2008
2:43 AM

Post #5496797

WOW! Ric, that is one sweet MG! May I use it for my desk top? :D please?
Sharon, So glad that Gary's temp didn't go any higher! :D I was dreading another hospital stay for him. I never heard of chocolate mint! Now wouldn't That be a treat! :D And love the hummer! :)
Se_eds, Glad that you got some rain! :D I think that we will be getting some real rain in the near future...named Hanna! From the looks of the noaa link that Marylyn posted, she may be headed straight for us, after she hits Savannah.
Deb, LOL! "Hmmm" Does Hugo come to mind? Hugo---Hanna----Get it? Maybe it's an "H" thing. How tall is your pine? Is it close to the house? DH says that pines have rally deep tap roots (not easy to topple over). Are they easily broken?
Marsue, Has Gustav hit you? Did he get close? Hope you are safe! Your Donkey Ears are really neat!
Celia, For a hour & a half! Cool pics!
Rann, What a gorgeous pic of Selma. :D She is really growing up to be a beauty! :D
Sidney, That's a beautiful pic, but it doesn't look like FL. I love the barn scenery. ;)

We've had another hot & sticky day here...90 on the deck, but a cool 72 in the house! ;D
Jack stayed inside all day & now he is out running around. Hope he does find another skunk! :-O

The answer to the trivia is...C
Wichita, Kansas is located in the heart of Tornado Alley, and thunderstorm outbreaks are taken very seriously. Of course, Albuquerque, Phoenix, and Las Vegas are not in Tornado Alley, and are located in areas where mountains abound.

Today's trivia is...
The wind is a very strong factor in this city's weather. Conditions here are harsh (due to its higher latitude) and drier (due to its distance from any appreciable source of moisture).
a) Milwaukee, WI
b) Minot, ND
c) Detroit, MI
d) Cheyenne, WY

Nite All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2008
4:06 AM

Post #5497137

I got as far as Gary not having to go to the hospital and then I quit. I'm tired. I'll catch up tomorrow. Good night, all!

And thanks for the compilments. It means a lot to me when you all say that.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2008
10:01 AM

Post #5497450

Joey - I'm going with B on the trivia. That's a beautiful cluster of blooms! What are they?
Celia - Hope you slept well. I slept like a rock! LOL!
se_eds - Sounds like a great day, but I do wish you'd get some rain. Maybe you'll get rain from Hanna.

79.7 F / 26 C Oh gag...
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 70 F / 21 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 29.95 in / 1014.1 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 83 F / 28 C
UV: 0.0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2400 ft / 731 m
Mostly Cloudy 3500 ft / 1066 m

Today
Partly cloudy and breezy. A chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms in the morning...then a slight chance of showers in the afternoon. High 85. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2008
11:16 AM

Post #5497533

There's another tropical depression forming. More info is given when you roll the cursor over the icons.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#HANNA
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2008
3:34 PM

Post #5498401

Joey: The pine I mentioned is about 60 feet tall and leaning toward the house. They snap like toothpicks! :) Just have to hope if it goes, it goes toward the street. Depends on the wind direction.

Still hoping Hanna (and yep, another H) will just fizzle out or turn out to sea.

Cooler here today, got into the upper 60s overnight for the first time in a few weeks.
Hi will be mid 80s. Sunny and clear.
Deb
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #5498500

Beautiful chocolate morning glory, Ric!
Joey: Gustav has made it up our way, but as a greatly-weakened system. It started raining around 6:30 a.m. and is continuing in the form of a slow, steady drizzle. Currently, the wind is out of the East at 16mph with gusts of 21 mph. Tornadoes are possible but none in the area at the moment. There isn't any thunder or lightning right now, either. Our current temp is 76F which is considerably cooler than it has been. This will continue on into Wed. and possibly Thursday so we should have our share of rain over the next few days. Flooding will be a concern in low-lying areas but of no concern in our immediate area.
Celia: hope you got some rest last night. That's a pretty fern or fern-like plant in your photo.
Deb, Sharon and Sidney: I hope Hanna "fizzles out", too, except for just being a rain producer for those who need the rain.

Today
Rain / Wind
High 79F
Precip 90% (currently 100%)
Wind: E 19 mph
Max. Humidity: 84%
UV Index: 4 Moderate
Sunrise: 6:42 AM CT
Avg. High: 87F
Record High: 104F (2000)
Tonight: Heavy Rain / Wind
Overnight Low 72F
Precip 100%
Wind: E 18 mph
Max. Humidity: 89%
Sunset: 7:33 PM CT
Record Low: 53F (1965)

Scaevola(fan flower)

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

September 2, 2008
4:35 PM

Post #5498591

46 Overcast and breezy.
Hopefully the worst of Gustav is over and Hannah won't be too bad. What a wild time down there.
We had a wonderful time while gone and enjoyed the quiet and serene views of changing seasons.
This is from a short hike to get a better view the vast expanse of tundra as we left the more mountainous area.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

September 2, 2008
4:39 PM

Post #5498612

Dall Sheep; this group stayed in the area and we watched from our RV site as they meandered across the slopes.

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #5498622

Hi Kiska!!

Updated link on Hanna
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?5day?large#contents
kiska

(Zone 3b)

September 2, 2008
4:43 PM

Post #5498637

Hi~ wow~looks as if it's at your doorstep and sugarweeds, and so many others futher north and west. Huge. Take care.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5498662

Wow, cool pics, everyone.

I slept! Yea! Didn't wake up until 10:12am after going to sleep around 11:30pm.

Yes, it's a fern.

57F with 86 later.
Feels like: 57F

Barometer: 30.2 in ↓
Dewpoint: 31
Humidity: 37%
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:56 AM
Sunset: 7:56 PM
UV Index: 8

Bloodgood maple.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2008
5:21 PM

Post #5498825

Pretty pics of the tundra, Kiska. What's that reddish looking flower/plant?

Hanna certainly appears to be heading your way, Sharon, Sidney and Deb. Y'all take care!

Glad you got some sleep, Celia! Pretty maple leaf.

still having alternate periods of slow drizzle, harder rain and then no rain. Currently 77F

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 2, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #5499691

Hi, everyone! I am very sad today because I've just heard the news that our friend Trois has passed away 2 days ago of a liver cancer. Here's the link to the Memory thread :

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/898616/

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2008
10:08 PM

Post #5499879

Adina: So sorry to hear the news about Trois. I didn't have the pleasure of knowing him since I didn't post on the same threads as he. However, I know all of his friends and family will greatly feel the loss. My heart goes out to all of you who knew him.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2008
10:35 PM

Post #5499967

Oh Trois was such a special man.
I just loved him and missed him when he quit posting weather.
Trois was the designer of cement rocks that he landscaped his Santa Fe, Texas place with.
He was smart and funny and quick witted.
Sidney
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #5500153

Deb Ahh the 60s.sounds wonderful!
Marsue I love the fan flower! Ive never seen those!
Kiska Great pictures! Looks like you had a really nice time.
Celia I bet that maple is gorgeous! Are all of the leaves red?
Adina Thank you for the link to Trois. He will be sorely missed here.

79.2 F / 26.2 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 58%
Dew Point: 63 F / 17 C
Wind Gust: 3.8 mph / 6 km/h
Pressure: 29.98 in / 1015.1 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 81 F / 27 C
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3000 ft / 914 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy and breezy this evening. Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms in the evening. Low 74. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph...decreasing to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Strawberries!

Thumbnail by MySharona

kiska

(Zone 3b)

September 2, 2008
11:31 PM

Post #5500213

My sympathy to the family of trois. What a feeling "family" DG has created.
marsue~the plant is dwarf blueberry; the bog blueberry shrubs get to be about 2 feet tall; we didn't get any berries this time; too late and most had already dropped.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #5500444

We are getting POUNDED!

It's been pouring for about an hour now.
Pop up storm... just sitting here.
Straight down... lots of thunder and lightning but no wind to speak of...
At least an inch so far...
Think afternoon showers in FL... except the storm isn't moving off.

And the roof on the FPR is tight and dry!

Ric
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2008

Post #5500586

Hang on sloopy! Do you need anything?
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2008
1:16 AM

Post #5500624

70 and comfortable here tonight after a bright sunny day with a high in the mid-80's. the weather has been so good here the past couple of weeks that I'm a little embarrassed, considering the problems the south is having. We have 3 more days of 80's then a week of low 70's with little rain in the extended forecast. I've been working on my summer garden project, getting a couple of kids off to college, picnicking and picking apples. I've picked both of my Mac trees and a Cortland so far. My 2 yellow delicious trees are loaded this year. The apples are extra big this year from all the timely rain and I wouldn't be surprised if there are 12-18 bushels on those trees.

So sorry to hear about trois. I always enjoyed his work in the photography threads. He was an excellent photographer.

Sharon, Sidney... time to batten down the hatches again. Those hurricanes are lining up like birds on a wire! Also Sharon, it's good to hear Gary is hanging in there.

Ric...your projects are looking good! You can keep the rain though.

I'm just too far behind to give all the great photos the comments they deserve. I need to get some things finished here so I have a little more time.

Here are a few updated photos of my new bed project. the painting and staining is almost done. I've started working on the 3 windows and still need to collect some stone for a flagstone walkways. I'm getting there though!

Photo: An overall view. I need to finish painting the arbor.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2008
1:18 AM

Post #5500639

Photo: View from the back corner. I got up on a ladder. The Japanese Maple was a gift from my son on Fathers Day 07 and was the catalyst for this project. I needed a place for the dang thing!

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2008
1:20 AM

Post #5500650

One more...My heavy duty bench. Sitting on concrete pilings and mortared in. Should last quite a while.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2008

Post #5500659

And finally...a "self portrait" photo from last Sunday's early morning bike ride. The corn here is way higher then an elephants eye!

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2008
1:26 AM

Post #5500696

Forgot to mention...I have tons of hollyhock seeds here and I've collected quite a bit and packaged it by color. I'd be happy to send seed to anyone who wants it.

early_bloomer

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2008
1:28 AM

Post #5500701

LOL! Hang on Rubber Duckie!

It finally moved off...or disappeared actually.
Just a pop up.
I'd been watching the clouds all day.
Cumulus clouds ... just sitting there getting taller and taller as the day went on.
I figured someone was going to get dumped on... glad it was us...
It was miserable today...for once I was glad to be working in AC.

Radar showed no showers for 60 miles around us... no front... no wind... just splat!
And of course we watered for 4 hours ... yesterday...LOL!

Ric
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2008

Post #5500702

That is one heck of a lot of work to plant that tree! LOL Sure is a stunning project though.

Beautiful day - not a cloud in the sky. Sunny and 95 degrees with low humidity. Boy but that sun was hot for this time of year. "THEY" say it might rain this weekend. Really doesn't matter anymore - everything is dying. I have 370+ registered daylilies in all stages of dying.

I am so glad that Gustav did not cause the terror and damage of Katrina.B less the brave souls that weathered that storm.

This message was edited Sep 2, 2008 9:28 PM
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2008

Post #5500703

The peach toned ones are my faves!

early_bloomer

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #5500707

e_b I'd love some seeds!

Ric
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #5501120

Your garden is beautiful, E_B, and those hollyhocks are gorgeous. I wonder how they would do in my least shady spots... I don't really have any full sun.

I was sorry to hear about Trois this morning... I met him a few times at various RUs, and he was a very friendly, sweet, funny man. I loved his photographs and stories, too. His wife and family are in my prayers.

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2008
9:50 AM

Post #5501703

E_B Im envious of your temps and apples! :D The tender plants will begin their trek back indoors soon, possibly tonight. The flagstone garden is looking great! The Japanese maple really gives a pop of color! Id love some hollyhocks (you are right the is gorgeous!), but I wonder if we get too hot here. I have lots of full sun in the back yard.

76.1 F / 24.5 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 67%
Dew Point: 64 F / 18 C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 29.95 in / 1014.1 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 78 F / 26 C
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3500 ft / 1066 m

Wednesday
Partly cloudy and breezy with a 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms. High 86. East winds 15 mph with gusts to 25 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2008
11:14 AM

Post #5501819

Mornin' all! It's Dyson Dark & we have a temp of 55. From the looks of things, I think that maybe we all (here on the east coast; & mid-Atlantic) will be getting a taste of Hanna. We're under a heavy fog advisory until about 10:00 a.m. "VISIBILITIES AS LOW AS A FEW HUNDRED FEET MAY ENCOUNTERED."
At Dublin...
Fog: 57F
Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 57
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 1 miles
Sunrise: 6:55 AM
Sunset: 7:48 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Sidney, Sharon, & Deb...Stay Safe!
Sharon, thanks. The pink cluster you see is my Autumns Joy sedum. The strange looking leaves are a wild grape vine that I am having trouble getting rid of. Greaet pic of the hummer & the Rose bud! You are really doing great w/ your camera. :)
Celia, Love the fern! & beautiful Maple leaf! I love Ferns! Is that a Japanese Maple? Stunning! :D
Marsue, Glad that you are just getting the rain...Hope that no tornado's developed. And I Love your Scaevola! I haven't ever seen a flower quite like it! Wow! Does it get large?
Kiska, Glad that you are back! & glad that you had a wonderful time! Frank poses so well! :D Gorgeous! Tundra! btw, JW is 'reading' his Alaska books by himself :) He just sits & "reads" each page...& talks to himself...maybe that's his reading out loud! ;)
Adina, I, too was very sad to hear of Trois' passing. Quite a shock. He was a very up-beat sort of fella. Definitely one-in-a million!
Ric, Glad that you got some rain! & that you roof held up! :D
E_B, Love what you are doing w/the arbor! You have definitely put some hard work into that little section of your yard! Very nice! Seeds? :D The peach is Gorgeous! Now That's! what I call a stand of corn! :D

The answer to the trivia is...B
Minot is only a short automobile drive from the Canadian border, and most people merely visiting the area would consider it flat and desolate. The extreme continental weather of the Northern US prairies does not help soften this initial impression.

Today's trivia is...
Winter brings snow and cold weather to this jewel of the Rocky Mountains, but also brings the occasional thaws due to the influence of milder air masses that travel eastward from the Pacific Ocean.
a) Denver, CO
b) Phoenix, AZ
c) Salt Lake City, UT
d) Dallas, TX

Have a Great Day! and for you, who are in the line of "fire"...Stay Safe!
Joey

(white MG)

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2008
11:54 AM

Post #5501946

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26295161
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2008
12:02 PM

Post #5501967

EB: your arbor garden is simply beautiful! Love the self-portrait--LOL--and yes I would love some hollyhock seeds! MMM, fresh corn on the cob--yummm! and I can smell that apple pie now! I have a couple of hollyhocks that I grew from seeds which were sent to me by DGer "grampapa" (Jan Recchio) last winter. You can see it in the photo here but I would like some of a different color if you please--and thank you very much. I'll be happy to send you a SASE if you will dmail me your address.
Ric: I'm glad your rain has moved off. We are getting waterlogged here and more on the way. Flooding has already been reported in some areas of our state.
Se_eds: so sorry to hear about your daylilies dying. :o(( I wish we could send you some of our rain!
Sharon: the hummer and the lizard (don't look, Kiska!) both seem to love that sweet concoction in your hummingbird feeder! LOL
Joey: that MG seems to be glowing from the inside out! That surely must be a trick question on the trivia? Of course, we southerners know that Dallas is not even close to the Rockies--LOL. However, I am going to say Salt Lake City because Denver is not actually IN the Rockies but rather on the eastern edge of the Rockies and Phoenix doesn't qualify as the "jewel of the Rockies", either, so that leaves Salt Lake City which is more likely situated where it can "catch the milder air masses of Pacific air that travel eastward." Soooo, for what it is worth--that is my reasoning on the matter! LOL
Edited to add: Joey: that link which tracks tropical depression Gustav certainly tells the story about why we are getting so much rain!
Today
Heavy T-Storms / Wind
High 74F
Precip 100%
Wind: ESE 19 mph
Max. Humidity: 100%
UV Index: 4 Moderate
Sunrise: 6:42 AM CT
Record High: 103F (2000)
Tonight: Heavy Rain / Wind
Overnight Low 71F
Precip 100%
Wind: SE 18 mph
Max. Humidity: 97%
Sunset: 7:32 PM CT
Record Low: 54F (1974)
Practically the whole state is under a flash flood watch.

EB: here is the photo of my hollyhock. If you don't have one this color, I will be happy to send you some seeds, if you'll tell me how to collect them.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2008 7:04 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #5502607

As usual, there's too mcuh to catch up on. I haven't caught up from last time.

Enjoying every second with you all.

I read about Gary this morning. He seems to be doing wonderfully! So glad for him. All our well wishes, prayers, Drs. and family are sure helping. Gary is the one doing all the hard work, though. Good for you, Gary! never give up!

53F with 76 for later. No more rain but we have been getting a lot of dew. The plants love it.
Feels like: 53F

Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 39
Humidity: 59%
Wind: 8 mph SSE
Sunrise: 6:57 AM
Sunset: 7:55 PM
UV Index 7

My MG got a beating during that last storm. It's starting to recover, though.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #5502631

Guess I should check my camera settings and LOOK at the pic before I post.

Here's a better one.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2008

Post #5503150

LOL Celia--I thought there was something wrong with my eyes! :o))
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2008
5:51 PM

Post #5503344

Joey,
Since Denver is the only one of those cities in the Rocky Mts, I'll guess Denver. However Marsue may have it I'm just familiar with the South end and Paso Del Norte.
EB your new garden is too neat. And I'm singing that song now!
I love Oklahoma, the musical and can sing to my hearts content because Henry doesn't complain.

Ric, hope your new work is dry where you want it to be.
According to Gustaf's path on Joey's link the storm has gotten slow and wet.
Sharon I get Fan flowers every year at the beginning of summer.
They come in purple and pink.
However they are always in that pitiful soiless planting mix and mine don't thrive like Marsue's Maybe I should leave them hanging instead of trying to make ground cover out of them.
Well, my IP went out 2 hrs ago when I tried to send this.
It now looks as though Fay may chase Hanna away so to speak.
I feel she owes us that much.
;)

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2008
9:47 PM

Post #5504239

Sidney: my fan flower is in the ground beneath a couple of my rose bushes--in one of the lasagna beds with all the horse manure--LOL

My IP was out for about 2 hours--just came back on. We didn't lose electricity-just cable and internet.
Currently 73 F. It's STILL raining here. I will be interested to find out what the local weather guys say in a bit about the amount of rainfall we have received. It's supposed to stop raining tomorrow morning--hopefully.
Looks like Florida and Georgia won't get a direct hit from Hanna--more like it is heading your way, Deb!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 4, 2008
12:32 AM

Post #5505008

Hot today

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 4:51 PM PDT on September 03, 2008
97 F / 36 C
Clear
Humidity: 14%
Dew Point: 41 F / 5 C
Wind: 10 mph / 17 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the WNW
Pressure: 29.76 in / 1008 hPa (Falling)
UV: 3 out of 16

I got a new camera. I hardly know how to do anything with it yet except press the shoot button. (That's awkward grammer, but you know what I mean.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2008
12:44 AM

Post #5505067

Hey! SLC is in the Rockies! LOL The western edge but still there. I'm gonna guess SLC just because...☺

No, you don't need glasses (or do you?)...I had my camera on manual in stead of auto and didn't check the pic before posting it.

It was very nice out today. It's still quite pleasant. Cool and calm.

Enhanced pic of a Cannon Beach sunset.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #5505180

Hi guys...If you want hollyhock seeds D_mail y our address and I'll send some along to you.

Photo...I painted the round window with iridescent glass paint.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #5505185

From the other side...

early_bloomer

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2008

Post #5505197

That's so creative and lovely. I love it.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2008
1:10 AM

Post #5505208

E_B: Your new garden is fantastic!

Joey: Thanks, it looks like Hanna may miss all of us now. Not out of
the woods yet, but if I lived on the Outer Banks of NC, I'd be getting nervous.
Taking a stab at the trivia, I'd' say A-Denver.

Had another cool start today; it was 68F at 7am. Nice! And another lovely dry and not-too-hot day. All those tropical systems
are still using up the moisture in the atmosphere, I guess.

Deb
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2008
1:19 AM

Post #5505286

Deb...thanks! We have had some very cool nights here the past couple of weeks. I had 45 at 6:00am on two occasions and the neighbor across the street said she got up around 3:30 am on night to close a window and her thermometer read 38.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2008
1:23 AM

Post #5505321

Hot HOT HOT here today.
No wind, no Rain, just HOT!
Felt like the beach in NC ...

e_b those ARE Beautiful!
Ric
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2008
1:32 AM

Post #5505369

E_B: I'll take my upper 60s for now, thank you very much! LOL. I hope not to see the 40s until November!
Deb
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2008
1:53 AM

Post #5505467

Joey, I'm voting for Salt Lake City, too. I flew to Colorado Springs about 11 years ago.. it was my first time in Colorado and I was expecting mountains. It had been cloudy during the flight, so I couldn't see the ground at all, so when we landed, I looked very expectantly out the window expecting beautiful mountains and saw... Ground as flat as what I left in Ohio. I was starting to wonder if there had been something wrong with the plane and we had landed in Kansas and the pilot had forgotten to mention it... And then the plane taxied around a tight corner and suddenly I was facing the opposite direction and. Ohh!! There ARE mountains here! LOL

It's 83 now, may make it down to 75 tonight, but I'm not counting on it, and will be back in the mid 90s tomorrow. Ho hum.

Please be careful, Deb! I'll sure be glad when Hanna makes up its mind and gets it over with (as gently as possible.) It's been the most notional storm..!!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2008
10:02 AM

Post #5506361

At this time it looks like Hanna will be around 150-200 miles offshore40mph winds for us, but we wont really know until it happens. WX is concerned about Ike so well know more Mon/Tues about him.

Joey Thanks! I love my camera as much as Callie loves Blue Days LOL! Im going with Marsue on the trivia C.
Celia My impatiens and banana plants took a beating from Fay. : (
Sidney Im going to have to look for fan flowers next year! Are they annuals?
Kelli Congrats on the new camera! What kind did you get? Thats all I knew about mine when I first started using it.
Celia WOW Beautiful sunset! We had a not so hot day yesterday and the humidity was a little lower than normal, we are beginning to get some gusty breezes.
E_B The window is beautiful and in a perfect setting! At this point Ill take any temps less than 70*!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2008
10:03 AM

Post #5506364

Oops - forgot the weather!

77.0 F / 25.0 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 62%
Dew Point: 63 F / 17 C
Pressure: 29.92 in / 1013.1 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 79 F / 26 C
Clouds: Few 3000 ft / 914 m
Mostly Cloudy 6000 ft / 1828 m

Thursday
Partly cloudy. Breezy. A 20% chance of showers in the morning. High 86. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to around 30 mph.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2008
3:02 PM

Post #5507262

What are those flowers, EB?

Kelli, what kind of camera did you get? That's a pretty flower, too.

We have family in N. Carolina. Darrell is keeping in touch but we didn't hear from them yesterday. Darrell called again this morning and I'm waiting to hear from him.

56F
Feels like: 56F

Barometer: 30 in ↑
Dewpoint: 39
Humidity: 53%
Wind: 5 mph S
Sunrise: 6:58 AM
Sunset: 7:53 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 4, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #5507480

E_B, your fence looks great and the hollyhocks too!
Sharon, love that picture with Callie and the flowers! Yummy, strawberries!
Celia, wonderful sunset!
Keli, congrats for the new camera! I can't wait to see the pics...the cactus looks great, so beautiful!
Joey, beautiful bud ! Can you show us the flower too?How is our JW doing? Can he walk yet?
I am very tired these days, have been working in the garden...future garden...DH has been digging-very hard work with the heat and hard soil, DS has been carrying the soil and I spreaded it all over. Still a few holes to fill in. Except for the MGs and pot flowers, nothing else has bloomed. It's so hot outside for this time of year and they say it's getting hotter. It's 90 already during the day and 60 during the night, a nice chill!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2008
3:45 PM

Post #5507482

Helluu!! Well, the fog has finally lifted. The temp is 73 & rising. It's gonna be another hot & muggy day.
Clear: 79F
Feels like: 79F
Dewpoint: 66
Humidity: 65%
Wind: 6 mph SSW
Sunrise: 6:56 AM
Sunset: 7:46 PM
UV Index: 5 Moderat

Celia, LOL I thought that there was something wrong w/ my vision, too! :D But glad that they are coming back. ;) The sunset is Gorgeous! Wow! :D And is that a blue Pin Cushion? (?) It's really pretty, what ever it is...
Kelli! Yeahhh, for the new camera. Such a really good 1st pic! :) Just think of all of the even greater shots that you will take w/ it! :D Now I Really can't wait for another hike! :D
E_ B, What gorgeous glass painting! :D Is that a mirrored window on the other side of the arbor? Love It! :D The pink Hollyhock is Beautiful! :-O
Deb, I agree w/ ya. I would really be nervous if I lived on the OB. I think that I would make a trip to WV! ;)
Marylyn! LOL! I thought that at first you had landed in the wrong place, too! :D We drove into Denver on I-70 & we could see the mountains from 75 miles away! ;)
Sharon, LOL. Miss Callie really loves it there, huh? :D

The answer to the trivia is...(drum roll)...A
All of the listed cities are located in the Rocky Mountains except for Dallas, and only Denver and Salt Lake City regularly experience snow during the winter months.

Today's trivia is...
Located deep in the South, this city experiences weather typical for this region - cool in the winter, temperate in the spring and fall, and tropical in the summer. Throughout the year, rain is a constant companion due to the nearness of the Gulf.
a) Miami, FL
b) Tampa, FL
c) Key West, FL
d) Montgomery, AL

Have a Great Day! All! :D
Joey

Marsue, this is what it looks like when open. ;)

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #5507529

Adina, we cross-posted. Love the Petunias, but sorry to here that it's so hot for you! Maybe E_B could send you some of his 'coolness'. :) We have been down into the 50's at night, but not the 30's!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2008
4:37 PM

Post #5507703

Gee, Joey, can we say all of the above? LOL I suppose it doesn't get TOO cool in either Miami or Key West in the winter. Montgomery is far enough north that it might actually freeze occasionally... so I'm guessing Tampa.

We actually got down to 70 last night!! I was amazed this morning! It's still only 80, which is still amazing. It's going to be in the low 90s this afternoon. Maybe fall really IS coming!

Sharon, I have that photo of Callie on my desktop... It's so pretty. :-)

That's a beautiful MG, Joey.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 4, 2008
7:37 PM

Post #5508278

Marylyn, what ever happened to Jose Cruz, Jr.? I saw that he was on the Astros roster earlier in the year but he hasn't been there in a while. He was one of my baseball sweeties.

It is too hot for hiking today.

Updated: 11:51 AM PDT on September 04, 2008
94 F / 34 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 18%
Dew Point: 44 F / 7 C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s Variable
Pressure: 29.80 in / 1009 hPa (Falling)
UV: 9 out of 16
Clouds: Few 10000 ft / 3048 m
(Above Ground Level)

The camera is a Canon D9. The guy in the camera shop recommended it and it got good reviews in everything I looked at.

macro heaven - sedum "Autumn Joy"

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 4, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #5508281

Salvia greggii

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 4, 2008
7:40 PM

Post #5508289

the big hurt

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 4, 2008
7:41 PM

Post #5508294

Testing the zoom - normal view looking up the street. (Yes, very bad pavement. The woman next door said that it hasn't been repaved since it was layed ~45 years ago.)

This message was edited Sep 4, 2008 12:44 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 4, 2008
7:41 PM

Post #5508297

6x zoom

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 4, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #5508300

20x zoom - It also appears that there is minimal distortion of parallel lines, unlike my old camera.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 4, 2008
7:45 PM

Post #5508308

and some wildlife with the zoom - female lesser goldfinch

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 4, 2008
7:49 PM

Post #5508317

a skipper

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 4, 2008
7:51 PM

Post #5508323

a camera-shy gulf fritillary

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2008
8:23 PM

Post #5508429

Those are awesome photos, Kelli!! Jose Cruz, Jr. was released in June, I think. He had a rough Spring and we got.. umm.. someone new. Maybe Erstad? Anyway, I'm not sure if someone picked him up or not.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2008
9:13 PM

Post #5508652

Kelli: even if you did just "press the shoot button", that's a great photo of the cactus and the other photos are very good, too. Looks as if you are learning fast. Congrats on the new camera.
Celia: I do wear glasses but I still thought there was something wrong with my eyes! LOL Gorgeous sunset!
EB: great job on the window painting and that's a beautiful flower! The cooler temps we have experienced as a result of Gustav have been nice but I'm certainly not ready for 38 yet!
Sharon: Callie is so funny! Glad that Hanna seems to be staying away from you and Sidney.
Adina: your flowers are such a pretty color!
Joey: I'm still pouting that my answer to the previous trivia was wrong. I'm not even going to guess about the latest trivia--so there--LOL ! I'm drooling over that morning glory. I don't think I have ever seen one quite as pretty as that one!

It finally stopped raining and Gustav has headed for points to the north of us. We are promised sunshine for tomorrow and with all the moisture in the ground I am quite sure that things will be very humid and the bermuda grass will be just jumping up before our very eyes! I hope the plants and flowers do as well!

Currently cloudy and 73F.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

September 4, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #5508780

56 overcast but there has been sunshine.
Well, again, too far behind for each photo; but, I see that you have new camera, kelli~
The flower garden looks gorgeous, E_B. and, music2keep; l love the mglories and how exciting that JW is "reading" and loving the Alaska books.
MySharona~Callie look great among the flowers. Adina~sounds like you're all working very hard in the heat.
The wedding has been postponed for a few months. Our grandson, 18 1/2, and his fiance`, decided to wait a bit longer. This is good news:).
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 4, 2008
10:28 PM

Post #5508894

Oh, yes. I forgot to mention, E_B, the garden and window look great.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #5509032

Celia Neat picture!
Adina I cant believe how hot it is there. I hope you start to cool down soon. Your blooms are so pretty makes it worth the hard work!
Joey Im going with D on the trivia. Your MG is gorgeous! Ive never seen one like that. Does it seed? I'll get your cuttings out this weekend. If you look at the picture closely you can see that Blue Days only grows on one side of the pot. Thats because Callie sits on the other side
Marylyn Glad you like the picture! She is such a small cute kitty, her front feet are the size of a nickel. Shes 13 now.
Kelli Niiiice pictures!
Kiska Thats a lovely Fall picture!

80.6 F / 27.0 C
Overcast
Humidity: 53%
Dew Point: 62 F / 17 C
Wind Gust: 3.8 mph / 6.1 km/h / 9.8 m/s
Pressure: 29.86 in / 1011.1 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 82 F / 28 C
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 3200 ft / 975 m
Overcast 20000 ft / 6096 m

High surf advisory in effect from 5 am Friday to 8 am EDT Saturday...
Wind Advisory in effect from 5 am Friday to 8 am EDT Saturday...

Tonight
Partly cloudy. A 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Low 72. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Gusts up to 30 mph after midnight.

Rawr

Thumbnail by MySharona

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #5509356

Love that garden window - so creative. Weather here is the same as yesterday, olny hotter. 95 deg. lesser breezes no rain or moisture. Humidity rose to 50% this afternoon. another AC day in Pa. - in September. I was digging again today. Ground is dry down 5 inches. Don't see how the plants survive.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #5509399

Evenin' All!
Sharon, thanks. My MG's are all wild. In the last pic that I posted all of them are on the same vine. And yes they seed...Want some? :D LOL I noticed that the flowers are all on the same side of the pot, but I thought that she had pushed them over to the side to get in! LOL!!
Kelli, What Great pics! :D I know that you are really enjoying playing w/ it, but is it necessary to 'spy' on the neighbors? LOL!
Kiska, thanks. JW just sits & jabbers while he's looking. :D Great pic of the beginning of fall. I'm gonna send you a D-mail as soon as I finish here. ;)
Marylyn, thanks. Nothing like Mother Nature at her best! :) And LOL - I suppose that you could guess "all of the above", but you would surely get it wrong! ;)
Marsue, thanks. Come on! Don't give up! on the trivia! LOL Just pick the old ball! :D I'll wait & give the answer tomorrow, so you will have time to answer! ;)
Se_eds, Hang in there! We should have some rain by Sat. at the latest! ;)

When the MG seeds, I'll let you all know. Anyone who wants them is more than welcome!

I have been outside trying to get pics of my Evening Primrose while it opens! :D

#1 (sorry about the 'fuzzies' -a tad breezy.

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2008
12:50 AM

Post #5509402

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2008
12:50 AM

Post #5509405

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2008
12:51 AM

Post #5509406

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #5509419

Not as bad today.
Mid 80's, not very humid and a nice breeze
We should see showers by morning... it's currently raining about 10 miles west and sliding this way.

Keli NICE shots!
What Camera did you get?

Here's a Bumble shot from yesterday.
The Stonecrop are LOADED w/ bee's and small butterflies.
Dozens/Plant

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2008
12:55 AM

Post #5509427

Here's his FAT buddy

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #5509452

LOL!!! Ric! Now that's Macro! ;) And you right about the 'fat'! Look at all the pollen! :)

Here's another...MG

Thumbnail by music2keep

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2008

Post #5509458

Celia: What part of NC is your famiy in?
Joey: I guess it's D - Montgomery. And oh my! What a beautiful MG!! Are you saying that
the white one with the blue touches is wild? And you have seeds??? yes, please. :)

Kelli: Great bunch of pics there.
Oh Kiska: Not fall colors!! ohhh nooo!
Ric: I love the fat buddy pic. Incredibly detailed.

OK, weather: Tropical storm warning for our area. Only expecting 2-3"of rain because Hanna's moving so fast, but they're saying winds gusting to 55mph. Hang in there, pine trees, it's gonna get rough. !
Deb

Sky this evening.

Thumbnail by DebinSC

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2008

Post #5509566

Deb, thanks. Gorgeous Sky! It's got that 'whispy' look! :) Yep, all of my MG's are wild and when they go to seed, you most certainly can have some. :)

Thumbnail by music2keep

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2008
1:57 AM

Post #5509755

Thanks everyone! I finally finished the painting and staining this evening but still have more to do. I made the fence out of old treated 6' privacy fence and treated posts that was given to me. I had to buy a few posts, 2x4's, cross-pieces for the windows and arbor. The paint and stain was from the mis-tint return bin at Home Depot, I scrounged for the rock, and bought the windows at yard sales and an auction.The dirt came from PennDot for free. At this point I have less then $200 in the whole shebang! I've been working on this project for 2 months now and I'm ready to move on to something else!

Joey...No shortage of blue in those photos!

I'll mail hollyhock seeds to all those who d-mailed me. It's not too late if you would like some.

75F right now with a low of 67F expected tonight. High of 81F tomorrow with a chance of a thundershower. Looks like it might be the last "hot" day as the10 day forecast is calling for high temps in the low 70's.

early_bloomer

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2008
4:35 AM

Post #5510281

My SIL lives in Wilmington, NC and we haven't heard from them. Darrell is going to try again tomorrow. Does anyone know how to find out if their power is down there?

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2008
10:08 AM

Post #5510575

Joey If you can get some seeds that would be awesome! The evening primrose is very pretty!
Ric What is your zoom? I need to get a better zoom lens. Love the bumblebee pics! They are cute!
E_B Youve worked magic with very little funds! Beautiful job! The hollyhocks are beautiful!
Celia Could they be out of town? Is there a NC forum that we could check out?

79.2 F / 26.2 C
Overcast
Humidity: 66%
Dew Point: 67 F / 19 C
Wind: 4.3 mph / 6.9 km/h / 1.9 m/s from the ENE
Wind Gust: 13.5 mph / 21.7 km/h
Pressure: 29.71 in / 1006.0 hPa (Falling)
Clouds: Few 1500 ft / 457 m
Mostly Cloudy 2800 ft / 853 m
Overcast 3500 ft / 1066 m

Now
Through 630 am EDT...scattered showers will move onshore near St Augustine and between Crescent Beach and Flagler Beach and move inland to the St Johns River from Federal Point to Crescent City. Isolated light showers on jacksonvilles Westside and near the villages will move southwest at 15 miles per hour. More showers and rain are in the Atlantic...mostly beyond 50 miles from shore...and these will be moving toward shore as Tropical Storm Hanna moves northward.

Today
Mostly cloudy. Very windy. Chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms in the morning...then showers likely and isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 83. North winds 25 to 30 mph with gusts to around 40 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

It is really gusty outside. I'll have to run out a move a couple of plants. I dropped the ball and wasn't expecting the winds this early.

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2008
4:09 PM

Post #5511783

I've left a message on the Carolina Forum. Thanks fior the suggestion, Sharon. Darrell is going to keep trying them today.

In the meantime, great photos, everyone!

57F with 76 for later.

Barometer: 30 in ↑
Dewpoint: 35
Humidity: 43%
Wind: 8 mph SSE
Sunrise: 6:59 AM
Sunset: 7:51 PM

Another from Oregon.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #5511919

Celia, I doubt seriously if power is out yet. It's usually a day into landfall before the tress knock down all the lines down.
I imagine they went West. The Interstate's move at less than 10mph when evacuation really starts.
I lived up there all over NC for 26 years.
Many folks think I sound like Flo from Mel's diner. A native of upper Texas drug through the South for 30 years.
We have 77º with cloud cover for a nice change.
Out sticking every coleus in the ground.
Hanna is headed to Savannah. Take cover Debbie.
You check in regularly or D-mail me your cell # please.
Also anyone else that wants can check in with me.
Many prayers for those in the path.
;)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #5511950

Wilmington should still be OK.
It may well be overloaded lines.
I know of several people cutting their vacations short and bugging out early.

Deb are you staying put?
I know your are pretty coastal...
Our sky looked like that yesterday too!

The Zoom I shot these Bee's w/ is a 18-55 mm Camera in the 'Nature' mode which is basically a Macro.
I also have a 55-200...

Muggy, warm and drizzley here now.
We had a T-Storm go thru about 8:30 AM...

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2008
4:43 PM

Post #5511958

Many folks think I sound like Flo from Mel's diner... YEP!
Sidney looks like Flo too, except for the pencil not being behind her ear!

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2008
4:46 PM

Post #5511974

We just heard from Darrell's sister. She's fine and so are the kids. She turned off her cell a couple of days ago and forgot to turn it back on. That's D's sis for you. Scatter-brained. ☺ So, things are well with them but they are going to go to Raliegh and wait for Ike to pass. I guess that's the one they're worried about.

Hang on, keep low and good luck!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 5, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #5512466

Ric, my camera is a Canon D9.

A helicopter keeps circling the house across the street (or maybe the one behind it). This has been going on for at least a half hour and it sure is making a lot of noise. I don't know what's up. I haven't seen any police cars or heard sirens.

It's going to be a hot one again today.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2008
7:31 PM

Post #5512625

DH and I had to make a trip to Conway today (30 miles from here.) We got our blood drawn at the lab (a regular thing when one takes a blood thinner) and then we had lunch at a friend's house. Just got home and I have to go pick up DGS at school in about 20 minutes so I have to make this fast.
Great pics, everyone--don't have time to comment on each one. Love the colors of all those beautiful flowers that everyone is posting!
Yes, Joey, I would love some of those seeds from that beautiful MG (the white one with blue in the center). I'll send you a St. Joseph's Lily later in the fall.
Deb, Sharon Sidney: y'all stay safe in the wake of Hanna and possibly Ike a little later. I'm just praying that Ike will go away and disappear!
Celia: glad your SIL and family are safe.

It has been cloudy all day and no sunshine so far, as promised by the weather people. The sun tried to peek out a few minutes ago but was promptly hidden by more clouds. They are saying that we will have some sunshine tomorrow. Promises, promises. . .
Today: currently 70 and cloudy
Sunrise: 6:44 AM CT
Record High: 101F (1990)
Tonight
Partly Cloudy
Overnight Low 61F
Precip 10%
Wind: N 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 94% (I can feel my hair curling now!)
Sunset: 7:29 PM CT
Avg. Low: 63F
Record Low: 48F (1997)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #5512707

72* and a cool breeze. We got over an inch of rain Thursday so no weeding for a few days!

I'm so sorry to hear about Trois.

Too much to catch up on again.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2008
8:10 PM

Post #5512757

Hi all!
I just got in. Had to work this morning, but all the offices & schools closed early. Came home and have been out gathering potential flying objects, bringing in some plants, basically battening down the hatches. Right now we just have some gusty w ind and pretty heavy rain.

They are saying the eye will come ashore here somewhere between 90 miles south of us (Hilton Head) and about the same distance north (which would be nasty for the Wilmington area).

Fortunately for us, we're about 18 miles inland, so they are predicting some strong gusts - possibly to 70mph, but sustained winds aren't expected to be much above 35. All this will happen right about dark of course, so I won't be able to see the pine trees falling. ;->

Ike is looking scary for s. Florida.
Deb
Deb
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2008
9:10 PM

Post #5512948

George our 70yrs+ Weather Guru says so far it's only tropical storm so far.
Many homes threaten to fall into the Atlantic. They are getting o help right now. Those small houses taxed at a million bucks each and they aren't sale able.
Not even raining here.
;)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 5, 2008
9:54 PM

Post #5513077

Deb, it sounds like what you'll be getting is like our Santa Anas but with rain. In other words, it shouldn't be much to worry about unless your ground is really soft. At least that's what I'd be telling myself if I was there.

the usual - hot, dry, strong sun

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on September 05, 2008
97 F / 36 C
Clear
Humidity: 23%
Dew Point: 53 F / 12 C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the SE
Pressure: 29.74 in / 1007 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 95 F / 35 C
UV: 10 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

This is Poco. Maybe I should have named him Porko. ;-)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 5, 2008
9:56 PM

Post #5513086

Overall, he's not too big on getting his picture taken. (Neither am I.) This variety is sometimes called a golf ball fish. I think that the lack of real sharpness in these pictures has to do with the aquarium being plastic instead of glass.

This message was edited Sep 5, 2008 3:11 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2008
10:16 PM

Post #5513139

Kelli: Poco looks "fat and happy". :)

Hanna's not turning yet, still going north, which is good news for us but not so good for the Outer Banks. Still just waiting to see.
Still under TS warning and tornado watch.
Deb
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #5513638

TS Fay brought us 1/4" of rain in August - which had been the driest on record. I wonder if Hanna will bring us some moisture. 95 deg again today and windy. Really dries things out.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2008
12:43 AM

Post #5513684

It's been raining here off and on since this morning.
Not very hard but steady.

Keli did you try manual focus on Porko?
That's a hard shot to get.

Here's a 'Fish Ball' from the pond tour.
As you can see the fish here are slightly out of focus too.

You ALL stay SAFE!!!

Ric

This message was edited Sep 5, 2008 8:44 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2008
12:46 AM

Post #5513699

It is dark, I am tired of fighting this wireless connection and am tempted to run some cat5.

Still have not rescued the temp thingys from the double wide but it was way hot outside today. Maybe I will remember them tomorrow after work.

Everyone please have a pleasant evening - Night all.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2008
12:57 AM

Post #5513750

Hey everyone!

Great photos - loved all the beautiful flowers and EB your garden is looking GREAT! Love the tinted windows, very nice touch :-)

Deb, Sharon and Sidney - hope Hanna and Ike won't bring much damage.

I've been busy getting ready for our trip on Monday. The weather has been gorgeous for most of the week, sunny or partly cloudy and 55-60F. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to enjoy it. The nights are getting very cool here too, well into the 40's I'd think. And there's some fall color starting to show ... a little more every day ;-)

We finally found a violin for Selma- so that's one less thing to worry about ;-) lol Thanks everyone for your comments of her photo. She thought the "Florida" rain was sooooo coool ... and it did feel pretty warm (except the rain was cold she said). Usually when it rains it rains sideways and it's therefore rather "chilly" ;-)

So sorry to hear about Trois.

Kelli - congrats on the new camera - great photos :-)

seeds - hope you'll get some rain soon. So sorry about your daylilies dying.

I'll "see" you all when we get back :-)

Rann

This message was edited Sep 6, 2008 12:58 AM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2008

Post #5513780

Have a great vacation, Rann (and the rest of your family, too)!!

Not quite Dyson dark but getting there. Currently 71. We did see some sunshine this afternoon for a little while. I went out and took some pics. Here is one.

Cloudless Sulphur on an Oranges & Lemons Gaillardia

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 6, 2008
1:18 AM

Post #5513859

Ric, no, I haven't tried manual focus. I'm not that advanced yet. What is the fish ball exactly?

This is a lesser goldfinch (either a female or maybe a young male) standing on the pond netting and drinking from the fountain. I never saw this before. We do have two birdbaths, but apparently he prefers to do it the hard way. These are little guys, much smaller than the American goldfinch.

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #5514013

EXCELLENT Kelli!

When I got the new Nikon I just spent 1/2 hour a day (mandatory lunch) w/ the camera and the manual.
Started at page 1 worked my way thru...
It took a while before I felt comfortable.
Then I forced myself to use each function, one at a time, for a day's shooting.
It pays off.

The Fish Ball is weird.
OK it's really an Add-A-Sphere.
Basically you put in the pond.
The fish go up into itand get HUGE looking.
Kind of a one trick pony to me but... lit from below ...at night it's cool

http://www.addasphere.com/

We met the Company Owners on the Pondarama.
He's 'Vanna White' in the demo video.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2008
2:19 AM

Post #5514189

henry10 - love the fish ball. I think some of the photoshop/paint shop programs have this feature too.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2008
2:41 AM

Post #5514290

Evenin' all! :D We are having a nice slow shower...hope it lasts all night! :D We really need it. DH & I have been all evening prepping & getting rid of yellow jackets. Jack got stung (attacked) today, so we figured it was time to take action. He seems to have survived without much complication, but we don't want anything to happen to JW.

E_B, thanks. But the last one is really not blue. I can't get it to be the pretty purple that it really is. Any suggestions? The rest are the actual colors.
Celia, Glad your family is safe! And the Oregon coast is Gorgeous!
Sharon, thanks. Did the wind turn over your little 'figures'?
Deb, Hope that you are safe this evening. And I hope that the pine holds up!
Marsue, thanks. A St. Joseph's Lily? :D Yippee! :D Oh! I love the pic of the Cloudless Sulphur on those gorgeous flowers! Great Shot! :D
Sally ,Glad that you back...LOL You should check in more often! ;) I knowww...you're doing pears. Very time consuming, but well worth it! :D
Kelli, Poco is a cute little fella! Great pics! and the finch is definitely 'up close & personal'! :D
Ric, Love the fish ball! Pretty neat! And your pond looks great, too! :) (LOL!~Porko?)
Dyson, What is a cat5 ?
Rann, Hope that you have a wonderful trip! :D I know that you will supply us w/ some great pics when you get back! ;)

The answer to the trivia is...D
Montgomery is situated in the south-central portion of the state of Alabama. Although summers are comparable to these Florida cities, winters can be much colder.

Deb, Stay safe!

Nite All!
Joey

(my Snaps!)

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #5514390

Whoops not my pond.
It's in a McMansion across the river.
They train the goldfish to go in for feeding.
The complete Add-a-Sphere's were a bit pricey for my blood.
I am thinking about getting just the Sphere though... maybe a light sculpture.

Rain's over Fog is setting in...

Ric
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2008
3:26 AM

Post #5514456

Thanks, guys. We're all safe and dry.
Still just a bunch-o-rain here. Radar looking a little scary. Couple more hours and we'll know if we're getting the wind. Pines still standing!
Deb

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2008
4:06 AM

Post #5514583

Deb, Sidney and all, stay safe. The family is going to spend thenext eeek in Raliegh. Thye were thinking of buying a house in Wilmington but now are thinking more toward Raliehg or Fayetteville. My DD lived in F'Ville and she loved it .She and I went alking about it ealier and she has thought about going back. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I'll miss her, too much! She said she wouldn't 'cuz I screamed that into the phone. LOL ☺

It was a beautiful day again. Sunny and warm but not hot like it has been. This is unusual for August here.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2008
11:55 AM

Post #5515257

Beautiful morning here.
;)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2008
1:35 PM

Post #5515500

This is a GREAT time to visit NC, especially the beaches.
(Well if Hanna wasn't around anyway)
A lot of them are about deserted except on the weekends.
The funny thing is most of the people we met then were from NC.
They'd drop down from Asheville and the other mountain areas on Friday for some serious 'Ocean Time'.
Then pop back on Sunday afternoon.

It seems we got one last shower last night after the fog set in.
The trees are still dripping... sky's clear... 70 degrees... light breeze.
High today about 80... 50's tonight... Perfect!
86-90 tomorrow... but still cooler nights...this has pretty much been our pattern all Summer.
We'll see a bit of Hanna affect by Monday night/Tuesday
Some more rain and cooler temps.

Our Sedum's are bug magnets.
I don't know if the resolution allowed here will show it but there are 9 Honeybees and a Butterfly on this one Florette .
Multiply that by hundreds of Florettes on dozens of Sedum...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2008
5:13 PM

Post #5516393

That's pretty cool. Ric. My Caryopteris is covered in bees now. It has been for a couple of weeks.

68F with 77 for later. Wonderful, wondeful day ahead.
Feels like: 68F

Barometer: 30 in ↓
Dewpoint: 36
Humidity: 30%
Wind: 5 mph E
Sunrise: 7:00 AM
Sunset: 7:50 PM
UV Index: 7 Moderate

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #5516447

Deb: I hope you have made it through the worst of Hanna with no problems.
Kiska: I meant to tell you that I am glad for you and your DGS that he isn't getting married at such a young age. In my opinion, he needs some more time before he takes that big step!
Joey: love the bright yellow on that Primrose. Why do "they" call your other flowers "snapdragons"?
Kelli: great photo of the goldfinch drinking water from the fountain!
Ric: I like the fishpond even if it isn't yours. Interesting about the fish ball. I was able to count all 9 honeybees and the butterfly in your last photo.
Celia: another good hummer pic!

It has been an absolutely beautiful day here after 5 days of not-so-beautiful weather. It's cool and sunny--just perfect for watching DGS's first football scrimmage game of the season. (He's just 8 and he got his cast off his arm just in time for football season. Personally, I think these little guys don't need to be playing football but nobody asked this grandma! LOL)
Today
Mostly Sunny
High 81F
Precip 10%
Wind: NE 8 mph
Max. Humidity: 70%
UV Index: 9 Very High
Sunrise: 6:45 AM CT
Record High: 101F (1990)
Tonight
Mostly Clear
Overnight Low 60F
Precip 20%
Wind: ENE 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 88%
Sunset: 7:27 PM CT
Avg. Low: 63F
Record Low: 51F (1997)

I took this photo yesterday of 10 bees, bugs and butterflies feasting on the coneflowers. They must have been really hungry after all the rain we had this week!

Thumbnail by marsue

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2008
6:55 PM

Post #5516750

Ric: Good to see so many Honeybees!
Celia: Sweet little hummer - good shot!
And thanks, Marsue, it turned out to be a "rain event". :) We got 5 1/2" of rain between 4PM and midnight, but hardly any wind.
It stayed just far enough east that we got the wind as it came of the landside. I think the immediate NC coast probable had more wind.
Downtown Charleston here had some flooding, as did our little 'burb, but not in our neighborhood.

So, this morning I put all the plants and chairs and so forth back outside.

This morning was lovely and sunny, if a bit humid. Only 86F at the moment.
Deb (House Finch, looking a little rough around the edges.)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2008
7:19 PM

Post #5516831

The little hummer has been coming everyday for the last 3 weeks. I've named her Beauty. She will let us approach quite close without getting upset. We got a very close look at the other hummer she was "fighting" with the other day. I think it's her baby.

This is the baby, I think. This one has a distinct marking on her chest.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2008
10:55 PM

Post #5517745

60 Partly cloudy~looks like it could rain at any time.
kelli ~what a great balancing act you caught. Poco's pretty cute, too.
marsue~yes, the postponment is good~
ric~very cool "fish ball" pics. Sure see something new here every day.
Deb~glad all's well and hopefully, se_eds, you'll get some rain.
M2Keep~hope the yellowjackets are now history:) Jack has had quite an eventful couple of weeks:)
Last evening a bull moose came into the yard; stayed just long enough for 3 very quick pics; no time for framing or getting a better shot.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2008
10:56 PM

Post #5517753

On the run.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2008
12:28 AM

Post #5518139

That is so completely awe-inspiring! Love it!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2008
2:15 PM

Post #5519910

Ah the Moose are staking out their Winter Feeding Grounds... lol!

I love the Hummer shots!
I really have to sit down and get some before they head south.
The one's I've gotten are all 'natural'.
I'm going for ones not at the feeder.
Unfortunately shooting those is a very time consuming and 'right place, right time' deal.
And usually I don't have either the right lens on or getting a sun flare or another one will zoom in and a fight begins.
This one was easy... then a fight broke out... lol!

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2008
2:17 PM

Post #5519921

Here's one feeding... from about 20' away

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #5519959

Last for a bit...

Foggy and cool this morning here...

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2008
2:29 PM

Post #5519975

We got 1/2 the floor done in the FPR...
Well the framing anyway...
Here's where we ended up last night...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2008

Post #5520504

Lovely H-bird pics, Ric.

Back to HHH. Currently 91F and rising. We had those nice mornings in the upper 60s before Hanna. That was just a phase, I guess.

Hope Hanna is wimping out on your guys up the coast!
Deb
kiska

(Zone 3b)

September 7, 2008
10:00 PM

Post #5521527

Today
Mostly cloudy with scattered showers. Highs in the mid to upper 50s. Light winds becoming southeast 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon.

Ric~the project looks great; the hummingbirds are, too.
Our garden doesn't have the things moose like, so I guess that's why they haven't been in. With only pototos, carrots and beets, they're out of luck. They love cabbage and there's usually some planted.
Deb~the little finch is wonderful;
kwanjin~I really enjoy the hummingbird photos; in 30 years, I've only seen one here.
Window replacement project this week. My husband, son and gsons, installed 3 in the front of the house. Trim work today is coming along nicely.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

September 7, 2008
10:01 PM

Post #5521528

Window number 2 of three.

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2008
10:09 PM

Post #5521556

So far behind in such a small amount of time.

I've been with my best friend. Her mother is in Hospice care in Gainesville. She is going to pass on quietly soon.

It's been hot and humid. Hanna was a dud - that's a good thing!

84.6 F / 29 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 63%
Wind Gust: 8.8 mph / 14 km/h
Pressure: 30.01 in / 1016.1 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 90 F / 32 C
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 6000 ft / 1828 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. A 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Patchy fog after midnight. Low 72. East winds 5 mph.

A cute video DH sent to me.
An Engineer's Guide to Cats - http://video.yahoo.com/network/100284668/3774740?v=2369949

Mandevilla

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2008
12:18 AM

Post #5522049

And she sleeps

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2008
1:16 AM

Post #5522289

How cute is that, Ric. I get them coming to the flowers in front but never when I have my camera ready.

I don't know what I'd do if a moose came into our yard. We used to get mule deer and that was large enough, thank you. ☺

We had a lovely day. 82, clear, slightly breezy and beautiful.

I don't have any new flower pics, so I'll post this that we saw in WY a few years ago.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2008

Post #5522353

LOL!
I love to drive that!

The Hummer in the Wild shots are something that digital cameras made possible for me.
Probably 10 blurry or flower only shots for every one w/ a Hummer.
Then 10 of those for every keeper... that would kill me if it were film... lol!

Cool and clear here today...
Nice weather to be working on the room.

Here's where we finished off... oh and we got the flashing done on the roof...
just in time for more rain.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #5522399

It's great living in the digital age. You can just snap away and sort through later. I even have fun taking shots of the planes overhead.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #5522583

We have been blessed with 1-3/4" of rain from HANNA. MosT rain here since July - some small showers in early August, It was 60 deg this morning after yesterdays rain. Sunshine and breezes called me back to the gardening again. I thought I'd have too wait until next spring. I am dog tired and feel - as Lawrence Welk used to Say _ WONDERFUL.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2008
9:53 AM

Post #5523498

Ric - Everything is lookin' good!
Celia - I take pictures too of planes overhead. There are times the planes are only 30'-40' above us. It's a little freaky though when you're driving along and the plane appears just over the tree tops coming in for a landing. Or one is taking off and buzzs the cars!
se_eds - So glad you finally received a significant amount of rain!

76.8 F / 24.9 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 79%
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 78 F / 26 C
Visibility: 8.0 miles / 12.9 kilometers
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 200 ft / 60 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog in the morning. Isolated showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 88. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 20%.

We had 10 Cardinals in the lawn at one time. There are 4 in this picture.

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #5524592

Se_eds, so glad you finally got some rain. I like to sit and watch it out the windows.

Sharon, those birdies are so cute. I wish we got them. We live in the landing corridor for the SL Airport. It's fun to see if we can pick out our house during final approach when we travel.

Ric, your work is turning out perfect. I like watching the progress. Can't wait for the finished product.

65F with 85 for later. It's going to be another lovely day. They're telling us there's a storm coming. The hurricanes are affecting weather all over the planet.
Feels like: 65F

Barometer: 29.9 in
Dewpoint: 38
Humidity: 37%
Wind: 5 mph SE
Sunrise: 7:02 AM
Sunset: 7:46 PM
UV Index: 7

Yesterday, I was sitting outside and all the birds in the yard suddenly disappeared. I glanced up and saw a turkey vulture circling overhead. I was able to get one shot before he left.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5524739

I was just outside watching the TV's.
There is a roost across the street here at work.
There's little wind so they are circling quite low today.

Thanks for the comments on the FPR.
I was pretty amazed when the floor showed perfectly level when we finished yesterday.

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #5524764

Darrell and I are amateur bird-watchers. We actually took an apartment because of a TV! We were sort of undecided, standing there with the manager ans we both looked up to see the TV flying overhead. We looked at each other, started laughing and, at the same time, said, "We'll take it!"

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2008
6:10 PM

Post #5525117

Wow, I'm not too far behind!! Neat pictures of rooms, windows, gadgets, flowers, fish, birds etc!

I've been roasting vegetables and tomatos. Yum! Today we had roasted tomatoes on a home- made pizza. (I cheated and bought a crust.) I canned, 7 pints of hot pepper mix and 5 more of tomato juice. I forgot to save any tomatoes for salsa, so the last pickings are for that sometime today.

The weeds have been pulling really easy, so I'm cleaning beds and gathering seed too.

This morn, I canned 5 quarts of ... PEARS :o) They will be ripening every day.

It's 55*, down from 59* this early morn and it's rained! It's still raining! I left the hot water in the canner and used the oven. We're gathering heat since it's not going to warm up at all.

Thumbnail by billyporter

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2008
7:49 PM

Post #5525486

Sally, have you tried Pear Honey? And Pear Relish?
I really need a Pear Tree.
Ric the weekend after Labor Day at Myrtle Beach, SC is "Save the Shag". That's where folks our age act a third of their age.
We had a 12 minute sheet of rain and then the sun came out.
Beautiful day in N. Florida.
Sidney

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2008
8:25 PM

Post #5525625

Sugar, we make pear butter! We also planted a Bartlett pear tree last year, so are lucky this guy doesn't use his.

It's still raining here.

I forgot to say that is ground fog in my picture above.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2008
11:19 PM

Post #5526374

Kiska, I was going to say that I'm glad the windows were replaced before the moose came back but then I realized the moose was too big to get into your house through those windows. LOL
Ric, great pics of the hummer! (Yours, too, Celia!) The room is coming along nicely it seems--level floors are good! LOL What does FPR stand for? (I must have missed it somewhere along the way.)
I don't know if they are turkey vultures or not but down here we call the same type of bird a buzzard. There are lots of them here in our state. It's not unusual to see from 2 or 3 up to a dozen at a time. DH likes to see them because they seem to scare the crows away--which is a good thing. DH can't stand crows!
Sharon, I love the color of your mandevilla. The mealy bugs got my mandevilla, unfortunately. Cardinals are always easy to spot in a photo with their brilliant red
coloring--at least the males are. I hope your friend's mother does have a peaceful
passing.
Se_eds: so glad you got some rain.

Sunday was an absolutely gorgeous day here. We took advantage of it and drove up to one of the Corps of Engineer lakes about 40 miles north of us. This picture shows the dam (there is a highway that crosses the tp of the dam) which was built across the Little Red River in order to form Greers Ferry Lake. You can see just a very, very small portion of the lake. It is HUGE and covers many, many acres altogether. JFK dedicated this dam on Oct. 3, 1963 just a few short weeks before his death.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2008
11:22 PM

Post #5526389

This shows the small memorial bust of JFK which is there.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2008
11:27 PM

Post #5526409

After we left the dam site, we drove south to a spot several miles below the dam. This is where Highway 110 crosses the Little Red River. Many, many years ago there was a swinging bridge that crossed the river at this point. However, it was closed to auto traffic when the new bridge was built (I don't know the exact year). However, foot traffic was allowed on it until the early 1980's when the bridge fell, killing several people who were on it at the time. According to the story that came out in the papers, there were a lot of people on the bridge and they were making it swing. Unfortunately, the bridge couldn't hold up and it fell.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2008
11:29 PM

Post #5526421

People come to the Little Red River from all over the U.S. to fish for trout.
This is looking up river from beneath the bridge in the previous photo.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2008
11:31 PM

Post #5526435

I snapped a couple of photos of some wildflowers. Unlike Kelli, I can't tell you the names of these flowers.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2008
11:32 PM

Post #5526440

Here's another one--this one is yellow. Sorry, but the photo is a little fuzzy.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #5526447

This was the sign posted at this spot at the river.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #5526464

This is one of the local landmarks--it is called Sugar Loaf "Mountain". Sorry for all the power lines--I couldn't find a place to take a photo without getting all the power lines, too. You can see this "mountain" sticking up over the Hwy 110 bridge in the photo which is five posts above this one. There is a way to get to the top of Sugar Loaf but I believe it is on the other side from where we were. I wouldn't even begin to try to climb it, though!. LOL

"That's all folks!"

This message was edited Sep 8, 2008 6:45 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2008
11:40 PM

Post #5526478

Whoops--I forgot the weather!

It was warmer today--in the high 80's and sunny. Currently it is 82 and beginning to cloud-up. We may get some more rain tomorrow--40% chance. :o((

For the sake of all those on the Gulf coast, I sure hope Ike dissipates before it heads to the U.S!
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2008
12:48 AM

Post #5526777

Relatively nice day today.
Only in the high 80s and moderate humidity. Somewhere round 60%.
Still a 90% chance of mosquitos, though.

Glad you got some rain, Se_eds!!
Deb
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2008
1:38 AM

Post #5527070

Been pulling weeds and digging plants to share, all weekend. Rain all day Saturday, gardened all day Sunday,and today. Making up for lost time here. I have a good collection of the Child's daylily cultivars. I think they lived in Georgia. When things are very hot and dry here, these plants shrivel up and leaves turn brown. They go summer dormant. They are now peeking up out of the ground and will grow and flourish until hard frost in about 6 weeks. Next spring will come up and bloom their heads off. Neat survival mechanism. Temps have been in the mid 80's today. Beautiful with only 50's % humidity.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

September 9, 2008
5:01 AM

Post #5528037

Partly sunny early this evening. Becoming cloudy with rain developing around midnight. Lows in the mid 40s to lower 50s. East wind increasing to 10 to 20 mph.
Tuesday
Rain. Highs in the mid to upper 50s. East wind 10 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph
Hello all~ loved the day's photos and seeing what you've all been up to.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2008
8:21 AM

Post #5528228

I'm behind again. Oh, well.

I had to go back to our store after it closed tonight because some yahoo decided to wait in the bathroom until after we closed. He was in there about 1 1/2 hours before coming out. Of course, he set off the alarms and I live the closest. I had the local PD meet me and we got him out. He claims we locked him in and he didn't hear the call for closing.
Whatever. That was a really long call of Nature. Then,I had a hard time winding dwn and so now I'm still up.

Dyson Dark. Slight breeze with cool temps. Gage on the window says 65.

Mau, I think your bird might be the same as ours. Dark bird with a red head? They're also known as the Turkey Buzzard.

This was a surprise on Saturday. Kind of made my day.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2008
9:53 AM

Post #5528283

Sally thats quite a cool down for you! I almost feel cooler reading your temps! Mmm pears love pears! Neat picture!
Marsue Beautiful day for a day trip! Such a pretty area.
Deb I think the mosquitos have set up an iv tent out back.
Kiska Love you fall colors! So pretty!
Celia OMG - Im still laughing! LOL! Its DysonDark here too.

79.0 F / 26.1 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 78%
Pressure: 30.01 in / 1016.1 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 82 F / 28 C
Clouds: Few 2000 ft / 609 m

Today
Patchy morning fog. Partly cloudy. Scattered showers in the morning...then scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 88. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

The TV has a pretty sing-song call compared to it's looks.

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2008
10:05 AM

Post #5528303

LOL! I LOVE it!

Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2008
11:04 AM

Post #5528377

Mornin' all! :D It's Dyson Dark w/ a temp of 63. Supposed to get some rain today! Yay! It's very muggy out & our 'skeeters' have set up an IV tent, too! :) I was behind again...but I have caught up, finally! :D
At Dublin...
Clear: 66F
Feels like: 66F
Dewpoint: 63
Humidity: 88%
Wind: 3 mph SW
Sunrise: 7:00 AM
Sunset: 7:38 PM

Great pics everyone!
Kiska, Love the moose! :D
Sharon, LOL! at the hummer & the anole! Looks as if they are both startled by the others presence! :D
Deb, Glad that you pine held up.
Marylyn, I was worried about you until I saw Ike's predicted path this morning! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26295161/#preferredName=Ike
Celia, Love the rainbow! Wow!
Ric, your project is coming right along! Looking Good! ;)

The trivia for the day is...
What is the Fata Morgana?
a) A special type of mirage
b) A special type of cloud formation
c) A special type of storm event
d) A special type of fog

Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #5529379

Joey, isn't that the one who sings at the end of the opera?☺ Seriously, though, the answer is...A?

The rainbow was unexpected.

Sharon, I love that pic! LOL Too cute!

72F with 83 expected. Also, a 30% chance of rain. It's overcast now, so, maybe. It increases to 40% tonight.
Feels like: 72F

Barometer: 29.7 in ↑
Dewpoint: 37
Humidity: 28%
Wind: 14 mph S
Sunrise: 7:03 AM
Sunset: 7:45 PM
UV Index: 6 Moderate

This is an old prison in Wyoming. I can't remember what they use it for now. There's a Prairie Dog in the center of the pic watching us as I take the shot.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2008
4:45 PM

Post #5529608

Kiska: you have fall foliage already! Everything is still very green around here but our foliage should be gorgeous in late October because of all the rain we have had.
Celia: great story about the guy who got "trapped" in the bathroom! Yeah, right! LOL Hope you got some sleep. Love the rainbow pic. I don't think our buzzards have red heads. We have seen some big birds around here that have white heads and DH thinks they might be eagles? Who knows, because they are always up too high for us to get a good close-up shot with the camera. I spotted the prairie dog in that last pic.
Sharon: absolutely great pic of the hummer and the anole!
Joey: A for the trivia! Pretty flower--is that a dahlia?

Currently overcast and cool 73. No rain yet but looking like it.

Zinnia

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 9, 2008
8:08 PM

Post #5530357

We have turkey vultures, too. There is a house on the top of the hill with a huge antenna. We have seen vultures sitting there, so we call it the vulture house. I'd like to see a condor but I won't be seeing one right around here.

A bit less hot

Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on September 09, 2008
81 F / 27 C
Clear
Humidity: 42%
Dew Point: 56 F / 13 C
Wind: 10 mph / 17 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the South
Pressure: 29.78 in / 1008 hPa (Falling)
UV: 10 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #5530461

Mau, they could be Bald Eagles. We get tehm here, too. They fly very high and are pretty big. One of my DBs called me not too long ago and was asking about a flock of Bald Eagles he saw. I told him they collect in flocks like that every year. It's an awesome sight I hope to see someday soon. A Condor would be fun to see in flight. They would be unmistakable with the 9' wingspan!

Morning Glory, don't know which.

Edited to say that Mau could have the Black Vultures. They're native to your area.

This message was edited Sep 9, 2008 2:36 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2008
9:30 PM

Post #5530712

Thanks for that info, Celia. I may have to do some research and see just what kind of "buzzard" we do have around here.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2008
10:26 PM

Post #5530981

Good evening! That bud photo is gorgeous, Celia, and the rainbow shot was beautiful, too! I was also laughing at the customer in the bathroom. He must've fallen asleep in there or something. I'll bet you'll check the bathrooms before you lock the doors from now on! LOL

Thanks for the concern, Joey. We're still watching Ike closely... They keep changing their guesses about where it's going to land and how big it's going to be. It's definitely looking like a Texas storm (once it decides to leave poor Cuba alone), though.

In the meantime, it's sunny and hot here. It was 95 earlier. It has since cooled down to 88. I should water the garden tomorrow morning.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 4:53pm CDT (32 min ago)
Temperature 88 F 31 C
Dew Point 70 F 21 C
Humidity 55%
Pressure 29.90 in 1012.6 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir SE 130
Ceiling 5500 ft 1676 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 93 F 34 C
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 73.0F / 22.8C

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #5531134

I really like that hummer shot too! Its a juvenile and flits constantly between the flowers and the feeders. It cant decide which one so it goes to all of them LOL!

Joey Going with A, but its just a guess.
Celia Neat building! Looks kind of like the prison that was used in Shawshank Redemption.
Marsue Your Zinnia is gorgeous!
Celia Beautiful bud

82.4 F / 28.0 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 69 F / 21 C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 29.98 in / 1015.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 86 F / 30 C
Clouds: Few 3200 ft / 975 m
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft / 6096 m
(Above Ground

Tonight
Partly cloudy. A 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Low 76. East winds 10 to 15 mph.

Look in the center of the taller banana plant...yep Lady Cardinal!

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #5531176

LOL, Sharon! What's the lady cardinal doing in there? LOL

I found this blooming in my flowerbed today and it was a happy surprise. Marylyn_TX bought it for me at a daylily sale this past May and I didn't expect it to bloom until next season. This is Midnight Raider.

Currently a cool 71 and overcast.

Thumbnail by marsue

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #5531293

Mysharona, Love your lady cardinal. We have birds gathering in flocks to go south. The hummers still do not want to believe there will be no more sugar water. I want them to migrate on time and not die from a plentiful supply from the feedrers.

We got rain again today - about 1//2 inch. Such a blessing after our summer drought.

I planted some Japanese morning glories late this year, purchased on the Auction and they are just now beginning to bloom. Probably will get zapped by our early frosts - but I have more seeds to start them earlier next spring.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2008
12:37 AM

Post #5531473

Joey: I will guess D - Fog (no idea, really!)
Marylyn: Hope Ike misses you!
SE_eds: Wow! More rain for you. Yeah!

We got about 1/10" shower today; otherwise, sunny, breezy, and hot. Still 79F at 830pm.
Deb
kiska

(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2008
3:14 AM

Post #5532199

Mostly cloudy with scattered showers in the evening...becoming steady rain by midnight. Lows in the mid 40s to lower 50s. East wind 10 to 25 mph.
Local gusts to 40 mph in the evening.
Wednesday
Rain. Highs in the 50s. East wind 10 to 20 mph.
I'm really off my schedule and now, so far behind..it's 7 pm; but 11pm on the East coast, so kinda feel like being in the twilight zone:)
Keep well, Marylyn_TX.
MySharona~who gave in first? The hummingbird looks as if it could be very threatening.
marsue~sweet surprise.
kwanjin~that's such a pretty blossom; how nice when it opens.
Yesterday's high-bush cranberries~picked them today for use in jelly/should be combined with another type berry; I use currants.

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2008
9:58 AM

Post #5532757

If I sit still in the back yard for a while I become invisible to the birds and squirrels. Its really neat to watch the back yard come to life like that.

Marsue Beautiful daylily!
Kiska Yummm the berries look delicious. The hummer took off, came back 2 more times and finally ran the anole off.

79.7 F / 26.5 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 78%
Pressure: 29.98 in / 1015.1 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 83 F / 29 C
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 1700 ft / 518 m
Scattered Clouds 6000 ft / 1828 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. High 88. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

It's almost 80* now, ugh..gonna be a nasty day here. Some of Ike's outer bands will start coming though around noon. FIL lives in Rockport - he'll start making his way to an AF base today (retired fighter pilot).

Thumbnail by MySharona

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2008
11:10 AM

Post #5532848

Mornin'! :D It's still Dyson Dark out w/ a temp of 64. We got a 1/2" of rain yesterday & supposed to have some "spotty" rain today. The flowers are lovin' it! :D
At Dublin...
Fair: 68F
Feels like: 68F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 66
Humidity: 94%
Visibility: 4 miles
Sunrise: 7:01 AM
Sunset: 7:37 PM

Sharon, You have quite a diverse bit of wildlife there in your yard! But the female cardinal is soooo cute sitting on 'her' perch! :) How is Gary doing?
Kiska! Your currents look yummy! Fall is surely here for you! Look at the color! :D
Marsue! Your Midnight Raider is Gorgeous! Wow! Love that Zinnia!
Marylyn, We will all keep an eye out for Ike! I hope & pray that it dissipates when it gets on land!
Celia, What a gorgeous MG bud! Love the prairie dog...so cute!

The answer to the trivia is...A
The Fata Morgana is a special type of superior mirage that transforms a fairly uniform horizon into one of vertical walls and columns with spires.

Be back this evening w/ another trivia for ya.

Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2008
12:04 PM

Post #5532975

Se_eds: glad you got some rain.
Deb: you, too, even if it was a small amount.
Kiska: pretty cranberries. Do the birds like them, too?
Sharon: squirrels are always hungry, it seems! I stopped feeding the birds this summer because the squirrels were getting more of the food than the birds. I'll put the feeder back outside when the weather gets cold. Has anyone ever found a truly "squirrel-proof" bird feeder that doesn't cost a small fortune? LOL
Joey: love the deep blue on that MG

Today
Mostly Cloudy
High 81F
Precip 20%
Wind: ENE 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 79%
UV Index: 7 High
Sunrise: 6:48 AM CT
Avg. High: 86F
Record High: 97F (1983)
Tonight:
Isolated T-Storms
Overnight Low 68F
Precip 30%
Wind: ENE 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 89%
Sunset: 7:22 PM CT
Avg. Low: 62F
Record Low: 51F (1968)

The always beautiful and ever-so-fragrant Sunsprite.

Thumbnail by marsue

Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

September 10, 2008
1:08 PM

Post #5533195

Beautiful sunny day here 28c 60% humidity, perfic gardnin weather!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #5533340

Ooooo... Marilyn, Sunsprite is gorgeous!! I stopped putting out bird food for the same reason. We like watching the squirrels, but we'd like to see birds, too. I tried putting seed out in two places, but that just brought more squirrels. Ah, well... It doesn't get cold enough here for the birds to actually need our seed to survive.

It's going to be in the mid 90s with a 20% chance of rain today. I've been running the soaker hoses this morning, so the chances of rain have probably increased substantially. LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (43 min ago)
Temperature 76 F 24 C
Dew Point 72 F 22 C
Humidity 87%
Pressure 29.94 in 1013.9 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir NE 40
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 5 mi 8.0 km
Heat Index 80 F 27 C
Current Conditions Mist
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 73.0F / 22.8C

Our Rose of Sharon is blooming. The blooms are actually a deeper pink than this photo shows.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #5533342

Welcome to the weather thread, pajonica!! :-) We love hearing about the weather in other places!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2008
4:13 PM

Post #5533990

Yes, pajonica--welcome to the weather thread! Since I am not familiar with the centigrade scales I had to look up on "google" what 28c is in terms of Fahrenheit and I learned that it is somewhere in the mid-80's F. I also learned this interesting fact: "Absolute zero is theoretically the lowest possible temperature, the point at which all molecular motion would cease."

This is the site where I learned all this fascinating information:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001731.html

Thanks, pajonica, for making me get out of my comfort zone to learn something new!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2008
4:19 PM

Post #5534017

So nice to have new people! Welcome, Pajonica! I would love to hear about gardening in Japan. What a beauiful country.

Sharon, the little cardinals seem like little jokesters. Are they. So cute!

Marylyn, keep yourselves safe. The bathroom is right next to where we leave at night and all the employees gather there. So much noise from all those chattering women, there's no way he could have slept through that! LOL

All the flowers are so pretty. I don't know how I managed all those years not gardening. You don't miss what you don't know, I guess.

64F with 76 for later. It's very pleasant out now. No breeze but the ground is wet from the rain last night. 50% chance of more rain. Yea! Love it when it rains.
Feels like: 64F

Barometer: 29.8 in
Dewpoint: 54
Humidity: 68%
Wind: 10 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:04 AM
Sunset: 7:43 PM
UV Index:6

My MG bud opened but it was windy last night and it got a little tattered. Still beautiful, though.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2008
4:21 PM

Post #5534029

Oh dear. We crossed, Mau. Nice info to have. My weather program does it for me if I click a little buttom. Very convenient.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 11, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5536221

This thread is getting a bit long and photo heavy for those on dial up.
I took the liberty of starting a new thread here.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/901910/

Ric

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America