Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Sunflowers as sentinels: Beautiful Sunflowers

Communities > Forums > Article: Sunflowers as sentinels
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sunflowers as sentinelsReplies: 8, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rosewood513
Lanoka Harbor, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2008
11:33 AM

Post #5493337

Your Sunflowers are just beautiful. I have always loved them bet felt they were a pain to deal with because if stakeing etc. But this year I tossed some black oil sunflowers to my chickens in their coop and suddenly I got Sunflowers growing all around next to the coop, chicken poo is an excellant fertilizer, well they grew so large and the mile a minute vine crawled up their stems and hooked to the chicken wire, staking them and I had an instant garden. I looks beautiful.
I started to remove the seeds from the larger heads and fed them to the chickens and they ate them when they didn't like the store bought ones."?" The suflowers are a favorite of our Goldfinches I oe to sit and watch them crawl all over the smaller ones and eat the seeds.
I enjoyed your article it makes me think of how many other places to plant them net year, thank you
Rosewood
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2008
11:56 AM

Post #5493373

What a splendid transformation!! Good Work!
And thanks for sharing the idea with us.
Fitsy
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2008
7:18 PM

Post #5494890

So glad my laissez-faire gardening is an inspiration to you. I think we should all invest in those grass-seed contraptions & spread sunflowers EVERYWHERE. The world needs a Johnny Sunflowerseed like the old Johnny Appleseed.
Dennis_Kathy
Reidsville, NC

September 1, 2008
9:54 PM

Post #5495424

I like the idea of putting them in a spreader, slight covering of grass clippings and dying tree leaves , and let nature do the work. It makes me smile just to think of it. You are exactly my kind of gardener.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2008
11:53 PM

Post #5495924

I have a feeling that your sunflower garden will eclipse mine next summer!
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2008
8:50 PM

Post #5508511

We have wild sunflowers here - smaller stalk thickness and smaller flower heads - but they become invasive! I last summer I waited to take them out till the last flower was gone, but I noticed this year that where they grew near to the "planted" plants (fountain grass, Queen palms neighbor's new Sequoia tree and older sweet gum tree) that the plants were dying. When I pulled out the sunflowers I found that even though the stalk was next to the plant, the roots were "under" the plants' root-balls. Their rhizomes went all over the place. Now I will not let them grow next to something else that I want to live! I enjoys seeing the open fields of these wild sunflowers, but not in my yard. I was going to grow some from packaged seeds, but now I am afraid to do so.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2008
9:35 PM

Post #5508735

I don't think those were sunflowers, honey, because they don't have rhizomes. True sunflowers actually are very shallow-rooted, like corn.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2008
2:56 PM

Post #5515868

They certainly look like the sunflowers the neighbors planted, maybe they were not rhizomes. They were shallow rooted and on the most part could be easily pulled out.
Dennis_Kathy
Reidsville, NC

September 8, 2008
4:53 PM

Post #5524849

Quitlygirl, They may be Jerusalem artichokes., A relation to sunflowers, with an edible rhizome. They are wonderful in salads, but maybe have your natural food store produce person take a look before you eat them (smile). Just a thought.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sunflowers as sentinels Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love Sunflowers! Herkimer_flower 1 Sep 1, 2008 7:16 PM
How encouraging! gloriag 3 Sep 2, 2008 2:48 AM
Well written, fun, informative epan 3 Jun 22, 2013 8:05 PM
What's not to love bjspeachyn5 2 Sep 2, 2008 12:54 PM
Nice phicks 0 Sep 2, 2008 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America