Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Sunflowers as sentinels: How encouraging!

Communities > Forums > Article: Sunflowers as sentinels
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sunflowers as sentinelsReplies: 3, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2008
12:57 PM

Post #5493490

I have dreamed of what you are talking about now. Why am I afraid of sunflowers doing well? I don't know how to plant them. Do I need a cleared space? Could I plant them among the weed, bramble barrier between me and the road? Can they be choked out? How long does it take for them to bloom? How early can I plant them?
etc. I have so many questions, and yours just volunteered!
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #5494899

Gloria, I swear, just throw the seeds out there. Mine are mostly spread by the birds, whether they drop them while eating or otherwise. These wild-sown seeds sprouted best in my straw mulch & in the prepared veggie beds, but as you can see, they also did quite well right in the lawn. So just get some & throw them out there, see what happens. You get quite the bang for your buck.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #5496705

This is a really great article, Summer, and makes me yearn for every one you describe. I love the idea of a sunflower tapestry! I have grown them sometimes, but not in great abundance, as they do deserve. Now you have made me want them again.
It's on my to do list!
Thank you.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2008
2:48 AM

Post #5496817

Don't yearn, Sharran! Just throw some seeds out there.

I can't wait till everyone reports back next summer on their own sunflower tapestries ...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sunflowers as sentinels Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love Sunflowers! Herkimer_flower 1 Sep 1, 2008 7:16 PM
Beautiful Sunflowers rosewood513 8 Sep 8, 2008 4:53 PM
Well written, fun, informative epan 3 Jun 22, 2013 8:05 PM
What's not to love bjspeachyn5 2 Sep 2, 2008 12:54 PM
Nice phicks 0 Sep 2, 2008 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America