Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kirchoffer
Portland, OR

September 1, 2008
5:01 PM

Post #5494368

Help, please. One of my flower beds is infested by grape hyacinths. I have tried to eliminate them by removing the sand and sifting out the bulbs, but the darned things keep popping up again. What can I do to eliminate them completely?
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2008
8:58 PM

Post #5495247

Haven't a clue! I have Scilla siberica causing me the same problem.
quiltjean
North Chelmsford, MA
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2008
1:15 PM

Post #5497815

Infested? I should be so lucky! Our condo is going to plant them this fall. If not already up, the leaves will be emerging soon and you can pull them. Mine are already showing in some places. (nice when you're digging in new bulbs!) I've noticed that they seed readily, so deadheading is a must.
I guess if you want control you could plant some of the sterile hybrids.
quiltjean
North Chelmsford, MA
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #6533521

I just visited my daughter's house and found that the grape hyacinths are through her lawn just as the scilla sibericas are through mine. I guess it's the ants again. I passed along some info in another forum: the ants take the seed covers of the scillas home as food, and on the way they drop some seeds. It's a hoot to see the drift from my garden to two units over, which was sand storage during construction.
Guess the ants like grape hyacinths, too!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Springtime Blues - Grape Hyacinths Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I read this article first... Jan23 3 Sep 1, 2008 8:59 PM
I love these little guys! darius 3 Aug 30, 2008 11:45 PM
Mr. Boland: Orchid Pix? Leehallfae 0 Sep 1, 2008 4:19 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America