Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Arsenic, Old Lace and Elderberry Wine: Poke Berry WINE recipe?

Communities > Forums > Article: Arsenic, Old Lace and Elderberry Wine
bookmark
Forum: Article: Arsenic, Old Lace and Elderberry WineReplies: 1, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gulie
Kimmell, IN

September 1, 2008
6:00 PM

Post #5494610

I'm DESPERATE to have a recipe for pokeberry wine. I have a bad hip and really am fighting against having a hip replacement operation. Can/Will anyone provide me with a recipe? I have WONDERFUL pokeberry bushes growing wild here on my property in Indiana. Any help would be appreciated. GREATLY. Thanks MUCH!
NordicFletch
Stanchfield, MN

June 16, 2011
11:43 PM

Post #8635553

Please, PLEASE if you use poke berries for wine, make sure you have COOKED them THOROUGHLY and REMOVED the seeds. Yes, the berries ARE toxic, and yes, COOKING them will make them "safe". BUT the seeds can STILL be toxic even after cooking.

Above all, DO NOT just assume that you can experiment with poke berries unless you are EXPERIENCED in using them. Start with SMALL (tiny, really) batches just in case you get something wrong -- because if you do get something wrong, such as not COOKING them properly or allowing even a tiny bit of seed to get into the wine, consuming more than a tiny amount could possibly kill someone.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Arsenic, Old Lace and Elderberry Wine Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Aunt Abby & Aunt Martha were clueless... ottoson 5 Jun 29, 2013 4:55 PM
Just in time.... Pagancat 1 May 7, 2008 3:19 AM
So who's going to try the catsup?!!! karri_sue 0 May 7, 2008 4:00 AM
Elderberry/Poke berries BeeCharmer13 1 Jun 16, 2011 11:44 PM
Elderberry wine Reynardine 0 Jun 18, 2013 12:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America