AuthorContent
JoseMaria
Ciudad Neily
Costa Rica

September 1, 2008
6:43 PM

Post #5494764

I enjoyed this article, Palmbob.

What is the magic they use to keep this 8 acre hawaian garden so clean? no weeds at all!!!!

In Costa Rica, (zona pacifico sur) where I live, it rains almost every month of the year; even so, when transplanting palms, specially before or during the dry season, they need water (even the drought resistant Phoenix roebelenii), easily done by overhead sprinklers.
The general problem here is one of drainage, palms in areas too wet for long periods, get stunted in their development, and dont produce fruit, nor flowers.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #5494937

That garden in Hawaii has an 'artificial' soil base of black, crushed lava rock (about 200 large truck-loads) basically creating 4' tall raised beds of soil in which to plant the plants. There is no real soil, therefore little weeds. And since they started with no weeds, what few drift in are easy to pull and eradicate. No other plants have been planted, on purpose, to keep the palms not only photographic, but free of other plants and their pest. this garden also has NO mosquitoes, another rarity on the islands, thanks to lack of standing water, bromeliads, etc.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Watering Palms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
recommendations? carrielamont 4 Sep 1, 2008 8:26 AM
I never thought about watering a palm CoreHHI 0 Sep 1, 2008 3:54 AM
Palms in Greece lindosvilla 0 Sep 1, 2008 9:56 AM
watering palms santarem 1 Sep 1, 2008 3:59 PM
Wow bowhows 0 Sep 1, 2008 2:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America