Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Sunflower History- From Humble Wildflower to International Superpower: sunflowers

Communities > Forums > Article: Sunflower History- From Humble Wildflower to International Superpower
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sunflower History- From Humble Wildflower to International SuperpowerReplies: 1, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
janicef
Clewiston, FL

September 1, 2008
8:29 PM

Post #5495128

Are there any sunflowers that will grow in south Florida?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2008
11:45 PM

Post #5495883

Off the top of my head- Helianthus debilis,( beach sunflower or cucumberleaf sunflower) should be perennial for you. I saw it on South Padre Island TX. You can read about it in Plantfiles.
I believe the annual Helanthus annuus, which there are lots of fancy pretty ones, would do OK for you. I didn't read anything that wrote about them having problems with mildew or rot in wet humid areas.
You might check with others in your Regional Gardening forum, or the Annuals forum, to see if others have tried them. Goood luck! Thanks for reading.!

This message was edited Sep 1, 2008 7:47 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sunflower History- From Humble Wildflower to International Superpower Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sunflowers are the BEST! gabagoo 1 Sep 1, 2008 2:43 PM
A field of sunflowers rosewood513 1 Sep 1, 2008 2:43 PM
Sunflowers in my past TreeSteward 1 Sep 1, 2008 2:45 PM
sunflower sprout raerae1 1 Sep 1, 2008 2:49 PM
Sally, You go girl! ladygardener1 3 Sep 2, 2008 4:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America