-
AuthorContent
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2008
9:23 PM

Post #5495342

I made roasted potatoes with rosemary today and was disappointed that it was not more flavorful. I just snipped 6" or so tips off my 9 year old rosemary 'landscape' plants (deer resistant is why!) out front. Just looked it up -- my cultivar is 'Blue Spires.' I strip the tiny leaves off and chop them.

Are there special culinary rosemaries or is it just too old and woody?

Input appreciated.
June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON
(Zone 4a)

September 2, 2008
4:38 PM

Post #5498609

I find that I need to use more rosemary if cooking with fresh leaves instead of dried, possibly because drying concentrates the flavor. I recommend the variety named 'ARP', which has a good, strong flavor when grown in poor soil and given plenty of sun.
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #5498724

I also find that the younger the sprigs (not the plant, but the sprigs themselves) makes a difference. These will be a paler green than the older ones, more tender and, of course, seasonal. Here I get new sprigs in the spring and again in the late summer.

I use the older branches for aromatic flavor by putting them in the coals or on top of the gas grate when grilling. Or for skewers for kabobs. (Soak in water first.)

Also, I am unfamiliar with your variety. Mine too is arp.

Z

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #5499279

There are differences in flavor between varieties, as well as with age, growing conditions, etc. -- just as with any herb. You'll need about 3 times as much fresh herb as you'd use if you were using dried herbs (instead of 1 teaspoon dried, use 1 tablespoon fresh).
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2008
7:41 PM

Post #5499314

Thanks for the thoughts. I did use a lot (it seemed because I find chopping rosemary tiresome) but maybe not enough for 3 lbs. of potatoes. And I do think maybe the plants are just too old and woody. I may live it up next spring and replace them. They have split open some, had a tree fall across them, the area has gotten shadier - the life of a plant here in the country.
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2008
8:01 PM

Post #5499405

A tip on chopping rosemary is to use a little cooking oil on the pile of leaves to help prevent them from jumping around while you are chopping. This really helps. And make sure to use the rocking motion of a chef's knife. Whack it with a cleaver and you will be sweeping the floor. :-)
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2008
8:02 PM

Post #5499411

Good tip on chopping Rosemary! Thanks.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2008
8:03 PM

Post #5499421

why thank you, Michael, I had not heard of that and will try it. yes, it somehow seems I always prepare something messy, like chopped cauliflower, just after cleaning the floors. :(
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2008
8:40 PM

Post #5499568

If the plants are still working as landscape plants, try putting another rosemary plant in a sunnier spot for culinary use. I find one rosemary plant is usually plenty for my kitchen needs, once it gets growing. When you pick out a plant, go for one that seems yummy to your nose and strongly scented.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2008
9:19 PM

Post #5499688

Thanks critter. Will do. Hmmm, makes me want to find my chicken and rosemary recipe (of course I think that every time I touch the plant!).

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America