Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Memory Garden: (trois) Trois Helvy

Communities > Forums > Memory Garden
bookmark
Forum: Memory GardenReplies: 451, Views: 8,841
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

September 1, 2008
11:42 PM

Post #5495876

Trois Helvy, known throughout DG as trois, passed away September 1, 2008 after a short bout with liver cancer. His Grandson, Gabriel, posted this in the General Discussion forum shortly after Trois passed away. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/898576/

Trois lived in Santa Fe, TX, and was a very active Dave's Garden member. He contributed photos, comments and entries to both PlantFiles and BugFiles. His favorite forums were Plant and Tree Identification, Insect and Spider Identification, Fruits and Nuts, Wildlife, and Bird Watching. He also contributed many great photos for discussion on the Photo forum.

Trois will be missed by all of us here at Dave's Garden.

A continuation of this thread can be found here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1140179/

This message was edited Nov 10, 2010 11:17 AM

Thumbnail by Joan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2008
11:56 PM

Post #5495943

I have known trois for quite a few years and met him here at Dave's garden. He was a special person that I will miss so much.
He contributed with his photos, wisdom and wit.
I miss you already.
weeds
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #5496027

Trois was also my friend and email buddy for the past few years. He made a special trip to one of the Texas RoundUps when he learned I would be there. He was a big man with a big heart and will truly be missed
With love,
Stacey

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5496361

My sincere sympathy to Trois'es family.
angele

September 2, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #5496449

Terribly sad news. My condolences to Trois' family and to all who called him friend. This is a very sad loss for Dave's Garden.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2008
2:00 AM

Post #5496528

My heart is truely heavy. :( He had such a vast knowledge & I learned so much from him...his beautiful pictures...He will be very much missed.
Thoughts & prayers to family & friends.
dave

September 2, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #5496536

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this news. Trois was an amazing man, always smiling and with such a gentle heart. I always looked forward to visiting with him at all the roundups that he attended (and it seems like he came to them all).

He once told me a story where he tamed a wild bluejay to come and eat out of his hand. I couldn't believe it but then he actually showed me a picture of the bird eating out of his hand! What an impressive man he was, and what a loss to DG.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #5496587

i'll always remember trois as the man who started "blu" and gave us a whole year of laughs and silliness. he recently had a birthday but he never mentioned about being sick in our d-mail. i'm so sad to see this thread and so sorry for his family...
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #5496590

I am so very sorry to hear of Trois' passing. I never had the chance to physically meet him but I felt as if I knew him none the less. He was such a kind man. He will be truely missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. Rest in Peace dear Trois.

GayLynn
bookworm28
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #5496672

I am so sorry to hear this. I actually thought about Trois today after reading about a DG friend's fig harvest. Trois was my fruit tree "encourager" here on DG - and I'm for sure going to plant that persimmon tree - now in his honor. I talked to Trois at length at many Central Texas RU's and I learned so much from him about Texas natives, photography, fruit trees, birds etc. Dave - that's a cool story about the bluejay. Birds loved him, too!

My thoughts and prayers are with his dear wife and the rest of his family. He was a fine, dear man who loved to share with all of us on DG
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2008

Post #5496674

I too am deeply sorry about his passing. I have never met him but talked on occasion here and off Dg. A true friend is missed today and heaven a more better place.

Blessings to his faimly
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2008
2:58 AM

Post #5496883

Oh My God, he was such a nice guy! I'm shocked and very sad to hear of his passing. I looked forward to his pictures of Dragonflies out on his pond, he was so talented and seemed such a gentle soul. My condolences to his family, I will miss him.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2008
3:35 AM

Post #5497060

This comes as such a shock. Not that long ago he was bragging about his early persimmon harvest while the rest of us still have green ones. I always looked forward to seeing his posts and his gentle humor. I will miss him and his input here at DG.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2008
4:24 AM

Post #5497172

Oh, nooo! My sympathies to your family! I had no idea he was sick. :( Trois' photographs were always interesting and I enjoyed hearing about his setup and favorite critters that visited the feeders. He was so knowledgeable about various subjects, a real jack of all trades. I'm so very sorry to hear this news.
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

September 2, 2008
10:24 AM

Post #5497466

So very sorry to hear of this. I will miss his participation in the forums. A big loss for Daves' Garden. My best wishes to his family.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

September 2, 2008
10:55 AM

Post #5497510

I'm so sorry to hear this news. Trois was a wonderful DG friend and e mail buddy.

My deepest condolences to his family.
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2008
11:36 AM

Post #5497561

A man with a huge heart, he will be very much missed. Thank you trois for being part of my life, his postings on the Photo Forum encouraged me so much, and I'm sure many others enjoyed his presence here too.

I want his family to know just how special he was, but I think they already know that, his family was very special to him.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2008
11:43 AM

Post #5497574

I loved Trois, he was so generous, I will never forget the first Rounup I went to on lake Texoma.
He came all the way from south Texas and brought the catfish that he caught from his lake and prepared and cooked for us, it was the most wonderful catfish.
He was a very loving person with a great sense of humor, and also a great photographer.
I will miss him greatly, he will leave a big void in the heart of the DG family.
Josephine.
oriole
Mifflintown, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2008
12:39 PM

Post #5497715

My deepest sympathy to Trois,s family. He was such a great photographer. I never missed a chance to view his photos.He will certainly be missed by all of us.

Dixie
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2008
2:03 PM

Post #5498004

Such a sad loss to all of here ...he was so much fun to be around...and his photos were outstanding.

My condolences to his family...Jo
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #5498041

We will miss you dear friend...but, we will never forget you.

"eyes"
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2008
2:15 PM

Post #5498050

Left this world a better place for his having been here.

God bless his family.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #5498063

Amen! Christi. We all are going to miss Trois dearly.
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2008
2:23 PM

Post #5498087

Very sad news, indeed. Trois contributed so much to DG. I'll never forget one of our first exchanges in which we talked about water moccasins. He told of one falling on him as he stood on a ladder trimming thick vines. Brrrrr!

He also had a sense of humor and caught me in a little trick he played. He spoke of the alligators in his swamps and posted a photo of his 'wife' seated on the dock holding a shotgun and told the story of how she killed one. Later, he dmailed a sort of 'wink' to that story. Never did know if that was really his wife or not. None the less, he was a good story teller.

DG will miss you, Trois.

Debra

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #5498137

My thoughts and prayers are with Barbara and the extended family. Trois was a great person, story teller, photographer, and nature lover. I met him at a couple of our TX RUs and always remember him as the man that had the long lens camera around his neck. He has contributed so many pictures and thread posts to DG and they will be there for us to read and enjoy later.
I will always remember the pic used at the top of the thread and the story of the bluejay they raised too. Rest in Peace our friend.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2008
2:58 PM

Post #5498246

I am so shocked and sadened by this news. My condolences to to his family & friends. I only knew him here through his beautiful photos on the Photo and Bird Watching mostly. But he seemed to be a kind, fun and loving soul.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2008
3:11 PM

Post #5498308

Trois will be missed. I hadn't crossed paths with him in a long time (since DG has grown so large) but he made a lasting impression with his big lens and his big heart. Hugs to his family.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

September 2, 2008
3:17 PM

Post #5498338

Trois very recently sent me some Pride of Barbados seeds after I admired the photos he posted on DG. He D-mailed me saying it was his mission in life to promote these beautiful plants. I will plant them and nurture them with tears of sadness at his passing.
suunto
Sinks Grove, WV

September 2, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #5498381

Although I never met him, Trois sounds exactly like the type of person the world needs more of. Too many good people seem to leave this world too soon...

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #5498473

Deepest sympathies to family and friends. I always marveled at the elaborate setup Trois had for taking bird pictures. We were treated to some of the most wonderful up close "insider" pictures with his remote system.

Will be missed greatly.
charlenesplants
Buffalo, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2008
4:07 PM

Post #5498502

Trois will be missed here by myself and so many others. He has touched many of us. I loved the stories he told, the photos he took, the plant knowledge he shared, the kind heart he had. Most of all I loved the big grin always on his face. I am glad I have one of his pride of barbados growing in my yard and I will always remember Tois when I see it.

Goodbye dear friend, you made the earth a better place for your being here with us and nature.

Charlene
bebop2
Van Etten, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2008
4:14 PM

Post #5498528

I only knew Trois through his wonderful photographs, which illuminated his world to me and many others. This is such sad news. My sincere condolences to the whole family.
Mibus2
(Phyllis) Flint,, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2008
4:37 PM

Post #5498604

My deepest sympathy to Trois,s family.
He shared alot with us here and will be greatly missed.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

September 2, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #5498667

I'm so sorry for your loss; deepest sympathy to your family, Gabriel.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2008
5:54 PM

Post #5498931

My sympathies to Trois family. I enjoyed his stories and pictures. will be missed.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2008
6:06 PM

Post #5498966

Deeply saddened by this news. I knew him for years - primarily from the Photos forum, where he contributed so many great shots, as well as advice. Never had the privilege to meet him in person. We shared a number of dmails about our engineering / tech backgrounds. He was just one of the nicest people I have known on DG. He is already missed. My deepest condolences to his family. They were blessed to have Trois in their lives.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2008
6:50 PM

Post #5499122

Trois would have been very touched that so many remember his contributions here on DG. We will always have a little piece of his heart in his pictures.
Prayers for Barbara and others at this sad time.
Sheila_FW

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2008
7:35 PM

Post #5499289

I just looked back to my dmails with trois and, ironically, I dmailed him on Sep 1, 2007 - exactly one year before his untimely passing, to ask how he was doing after having some skin cancer surgery.

Trois was one of the engineers working on the NASA Mercury program. That was the ultimate job for an engineer back then.
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2008
7:52 PM

Post #5499368

Toris we miss you already. I met him at my first Texoma Roundup and traded with him. Loved his lake catfish and smile. He inspired me with his photos and knowledge of plants. Bless all of his family they can be proud of him for all that he was. Ted

Thumbnail by TARogers5

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 2, 2008
7:55 PM

Post #5499383

This is such a sad news...my heart is grieving! He was such a wonderful person and I learned so much from him! Did you know he was named Data, when he was working at NASA, after the famous robot in Star trek? I will miss him so much and also his emails and the gorgeous pictures...always so interesting!
Farewell, trois, I will miss you so much. My condoleances to the family.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2008
8:02 PM

Post #5499408

I am saddened to hear of Trois' passing. I didn't know him personally but the kind words expressed by others above says it all. I followed his posts on the birding threads with keen interest and fascination and will always remember his relationship with the Blue Jay. That alone (to me) made a statement about the person. My sincere sympathy to Trois' family during this difficult time.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2008
9:15 PM

Post #5499676

This is such sad news! I always looked forward to seeing Trois at the CS Roundups, and in the forums. I know that he and Barbara went through a bout with West Nile Virus last year, but I had no idea he was ill. He had such a sweet disposition, and a love of plants, birds and photography. I, too, remember the Panasonic camera hanging from his neck. I could share a photo of him with the group at the CSRU a couple of years ago, but he had his camera in front of his face, taking a picture of me taking the group photo. What the heck, I'll share it anyway. This is one of my fond memories of him.

Barbara, sincere condolences and prayers for strength and peace. I am so sorry.

Thumbnail by ceejaytown

melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2008
9:38 PM

Post #5499756

I first encountered Trois, on the Photography forum...his pictures were awesome! He loved an area of Oklahoma, that my DH and I, have been to, a number of times..then last October, I got a chance to meet him, at the RU in Arlington...he gave me some Pride of Barbados seeds which I promptly managed to misplace...they are here in my house, somewhere...when I find them, it will be a link to that dear man. The world is a little less, with his passing. He will be missed by many. My condolences, go to his wife, Barbara...thank you so much, for sharing him, with us all.

DebbiesDaisy

DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

September 2, 2008
10:00 PM

Post #5499859

I am so sorry to hear this news. I had met Trois thru the wildlife threads, his wonderful photography...and many stories. There were times he just had me in stitches, not knowing if he was pulling my leg or not with some of them.

I loved the photo of the Opossum, and when we found out it was a picture of her actually giving birth...it was even more a miracle shot.

Trois, you will be deeply missed. My sincere condolenses to your family, what a remarkable man who touched many hearts.

Debbie

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2008
11:08 PM

Post #5500107

I first met trois on the blu thread he started and so enjoyed his humor. I loved
his many photos and especially remember one of a goat that had gotten his
head stuck in a fence. We exchanged comments about that silly good - kept getting
stuck, he said.

You'll be missed Trois.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #5500121

I am deeply saddened to hear this news. Trois shared his humor and his knowledge with us daily. He will be sorely missed. My prayers and condolences go out to his family and all of his friends here at DG.

I've always liked this poem

Little did we know that morning that God would call your name.
In life we loved you dearly, in death we do the same.
It broke our hearts to lose you, you did not go alone. For part of us went
with you the day God called you home. You left us peaceful memories,
your love is still our guide. And though we cannot see you, you are
always on our side. Our family chain is broken and nothing seems the same.
But as God calls us one by one, the chain will link again.

Rest in Peace my friend.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2008
11:22 PM

Post #5500172

Beautiful poem...
kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

September 2, 2008
11:47 PM

Post #5500263

So sorry to hear of trois' passing. He will be greatly missed on Dave's Garden

Ken
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 3, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #5500325

I met Trois briefly at the Arlington RU last year. I could hear the audible love and excitement of others in anticipation of his arrival. He has left many treasures that we can remember him by.My sincere condolences.
Anna
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

September 3, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #5500421

I wrote on the other thread but want to write again. Trois was such a good photographer and an inspiration to beginners like me. He will be remembered here for a long, long time.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

September 3, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #5500501

Quite a shock to hear about Trois Passing. I remember his Possum thread and the tamed Blue Jay. His faux rocks and his wonderful pictures. Always had nice comments for people here. From the pictures of him above, you can tell he was a people person, gentle and comical man. His presence will be missed on these forums. My condolences to his family.
Kidneyguy
Verona, ON

September 3, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #5500517

The sky lost a star when our friend Trois passed. I feel so blessed to have met him here on DG. My sincerest condolences to his family.
Dianne
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2008
1:20 AM

Post #5500647

trois was an inspiration to me, a beginning photographer and always took the time to answer my questions. His gentle humor and wealth of knowledge was shared with all - so much of him remains here with us. Love and peace to his family.

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2008
2:10 AM

Post #5500903

I didn't know Trois, but we had a friend in common who called me today, and now I can see that he and I had not only had friends in common, but other interests besides. It looks like Trois kept quite a few windows on the universe open for all to marvel at and enjoy; that he had a gift of making people both think and laugh. I am very sorry to have missed him and wish love and peace to his family, also.
NY2CA
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #5500945

I so enjoyed the bluejay feeding stories and all of his wonderful photos. He will be sorely missed by so many.

Wishing his family comfort and peace in this difficult time.

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 3, 2008
3:05 AM

Post #5501195

My condolences to his family. He was well loved and I'm sure leaves wonderful memories and photos.

Elaine
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #5501250

Trois passing will leave a hole in DG that cannot be filled no matter how many newcomers we welcome in. He will be missed!
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 3, 2008
3:53 AM

Post #5501391

I'm so sorry to hear of Trois passing. I've enjoyed his photos and threads and had the wonderful opportunity to meet him last year at a swap. I'm so glad I took the time to sit and enjoy his company for a while. He was such a sweet, gentle man.

I'm so impressed by the friends from many forums and places that were all impacted by his presence here. His family should be proud to know how much he influenced so many people and how much he was loved. What a wonderful legacy he has left behind here at DG. His memory will live forever in his pictures and threads. We've been very blessed.

gabagoo
Yonkers, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2008
3:58 AM

Post #5501403

My sympathies to his family & friends.

Nancy
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 3, 2008
4:19 AM

Post #5501457

My condolences to Trois' family and large circle of friends. {{{hugs}}}

I briefly met him through his thread and photos of the Bluejay he befriended! An amazing story-teller, a good friend to many, and an awesome photographer! He'll be missed, but will always be remembered here on DG through all the wonderful posts he left behind for us to enjoy again and again! I can imagine him now in Heaven with a camera around his neck on a walkabout to see what he can shoot all the while entertaining the angels with his humorous stories about life here on earth! :'-)
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

September 3, 2008
5:11 AM

Post #5501522

So sorry to hear of this.
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2008
8:30 AM

Post #5501670

thanks for passing this on to me. i am not familiary with trois but my prayers go out to his family.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2008
12:06 PM

Post #5501977

I "met" Trois right after I joined up here on Dave's. He was such a delight with each post I read. Then I met Trois and his lovely wife Barbara at the College Station Round Up in November of 2006. He was just as delightful in person as he was on the screen.

He recently sent me seeds from Pride of Barbados and Evergreen Wisteria and I will always think of him when I see these bloom.

Sending warm thoughts and gentle hugs to Barbara. We've lost a treasure. Our loss is truly Heaven's Gain.

Until we meet again my friend,

Janet

This message was edited Sep 3, 2008 7:34 AM

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures

JoanMN
Pine City, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 3, 2008
12:33 PM

Post #5502054

I am so, so sorry. Trois always was the nicest, sweetest person.

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

September 3, 2008
2:08 PM

Post #5502407

I am so saddened that Trois is no longer with us.

He was one of the very kindest to me when I first joined Daves.
So overwhelemed, but he always, always aknowledged. Just a treasure of a gentleman.

We will all miss him dearly...
Prayers for his family and all of you who were his friends.

Judy

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #5502807

Hugs and Prayers, Trois...

Hap

weeding

weeding
Peachtree City, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 3, 2008
5:08 PM

Post #5503183

Trios will be greatly missed. I know he is in a great garden in Heaven. He is surrounded by all the great wildlife that he loved.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #5503296

May God blessing be upon his beloved family and friends, may healing be with them during this difficult time. I didn't know trois personally, but remember being part of his posts/thread where he shared some wonderful gardening/love of nature with so many of us here on DG.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 3, 2008
6:35 PM

Post #5503529

I too posted onn the other thread, so will post again here. He had a delightful story telling ability and could make you laugh at the drop of a hat. I remember the "Blue" thread he started and many others. He was also active in the weather forum. His knowledge and humor will be missed on DG. My sympathy and prayers go out to his family.
Hugs&blessings ... ~Susan

bootandall

bootandall
Blenheim
New Zealand

September 3, 2008
11:46 PM

Post #5504761

sadened to hear of Trois passing. will miss his dry humor and new threads. boot.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #5505150

What a sad thing to hear.
I only met Trois thru his Photos... but they always spoke volumes.

The legacy he left here at Dave's is deep.
It is pouring thru in the Heartfelt praise from all of you.
Rest Well Trois and be at Peace.

Ric
Gardnerkett
Pass Christian, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2008
1:05 AM

Post #5505174

Trois was such a sweet and thoughtful person, I was so very sad to hear of his passing. Although I never met him, he always made you feel you had.
I always loved the photo of himself with the bird on his cap - spoke volumes about him.

I too will treasure my Pride of Barbados plant, and think of him everytime I tend to it. A beautiful reminder of a beautiful person.
My deepest sympathy to his wife and family.
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #5505910

I never met trois personally but felt we were friends from our messages over the years. He was a great photographer and we will miss his photos . My deepest sympathy to his family.

Donna

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 4, 2008
4:00 AM

Post #5505955

My deepest sympathy to Barbara, Gabriel and the rest of Trois' family.

While I haven't met Trois in person I've had the pleasure of looking and learning from him for years here at Dave's. He was a funny, knowledgeable and talented person whose love of his corner of Texas came through in all of his pictures.

We will miss Trois.

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2008
4:08 AM

Post #5505983

My condolences to the Helvy Family.
May His memory live on each and every time I see a Blue Jay.
Trois contributions to DG will be missed but his photos and posts will live on.

Hugs and Prayers
-Kin
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5507658

Trois will be so sorely missed. He was so active on so many forums and made friends out of everyone he met.

Yes, the "blu" thread comes to mind, lol...the photo forum, the Texas forum, and an entire baggie full of barbados seeds he sent me, but I guess I really knew him best through his building the "A" frame for he and his "lovely wife"...he always referred to her, as "his lovely wife".

My heart goes out to her. If she is reading this, (((((((hugs)))))). You must miss him so much. Know he really love you, and he let everyone know it. He talked about you, as much as he talked about anything else. I am praying for strength and peace for you. I am so sorry your dear Trois has passed
((((((big sincere hug)))))
-Taylor
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

September 4, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #5508060

Sharona, that is the nicest poem and so appropriate. Trois touched many, many lives in such a positive way - he must be in a very special place right now.

Kathleen

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 4, 2008
10:30 PM

Post #5508901

Hey, you gatekeepers up there in heaven: Make room for one swell guy.

Trois epitomized this passage:

It's from "Fahrenheit 451", by Ray Bradbury.

"Everyone must leave something behind when he dies, my grandfather said. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall or a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or flower you planted, you're there. It doesn't matter what you do, he said, as long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away. The difference between the man who just cuts lawns and a real gardener is in the touching, he said. The lawn cutter might just as well not been there at all; the gardener will be there a lifetime."

I'll miss you.

: )

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2008
10:35 PM

Post #5508914

So very true.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2008
1:32 AM

Post #5509632

Wonderful, thanks Flyboy.
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2008
2:28 AM

Post #5509872

Flyboy, that is just so beautiful and true.

Elaine
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2008
2:59 AM

Post #5510006

Wow, Flyboy, that really nails it.

You know, it's funny...Today a ball head came in the mail for my tripod. I have to figure out how to best retrofit my tripod so it will work with it. My immediate thought was of Trois and how handy he is with things like that, "oh, he'll know!"...and the next heartbeat came and I remembered. I suppose it's like automatically picking up the phone to call someone you've lost who loved gardening, wanting to tell her your lily is finally blooming.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 5, 2008
6:30 AM

Post #5510440

Flyboy, that is so beautiful!
Ponditis
Payette, ID
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2008
7:59 AM

Post #5510477

I am so sad that he is now gone from our corner of the world. He had such a good sense of humor and we had a great time with him here in the garden where his photography and stories were so well liked. The thread I enjoyed so much was his famous blu thread which ended up as the longest thread ever on DG and the entire thread was foolishness and talking of blu things. So to Trois and his family I will say that I am now blue without you, our Trois.

Hugs for his family and all his friends too,
Lani Ponditis

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2008
1:50 PM

Post #5511183

My sincere condolences to your family. I didn't know Trois, but I can see from this post that he was well-loved and admired, tremendously. But, know that he has not stopped existing - he just exists in a different place now -- a heavenly garden!
DawninTx
Nevada, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2008
3:15 PM

Post #5511557

I was deeply saddened to hear that Trois had passed. I always enjoyed his posts, and I was fortunate to have met him at round-ups. He was a special man, kind hearted, witty and talented.

I offer my sincere condolences to Barbara and all of his family and friends. He'll be dearly missed by many.

busybee
Kentwood, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #5511746

I am very sorry to hear this sad news. My sympathy and prayers go out to his family and friends for he will be greatly missed.
Even though I never met him personally, I had a chance to share seeds with him and his knowledge and encouragement when I needed it the most will be forever appreciated. Several years ago he helped me through a tough decision about ear surgery. Even though it failed to work for me, he gave me hope because he had hearing problems too that he was coping with.
He will be missed but never very far from our hearts and minds.
Mary D.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2008
7:55 PM

Post #5512695

I'm so sorry. I really admired him.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 5, 2008
11:51 PM

Post #5513484

Thanks, fellow gardeners.

I am still growing his Pride of Barbados seeds. Next year blooms.

Be well, all

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #5517806

WOW! I am amazed at how many lives my Dad, Trois, has touched with his pictures, humor, storytelling, smile, knowledge, and love. My father has encouraged me to become a part of the DG Community for some time. I am not surprised that he made so many friends, as he was a very loving and gentle soul with so much to share. I am encouraged that he touched so many of you in such a profound way. I wanted to share with you, how much your words of support have meant to me, as I read through all of the comments, and memories you've shared. Flyboy's comments and quote were dead on. I know my Dad would have been pleased to know how many of you are inspired to plant a Bird of Barbados or another of his beloved plants. Some of your memories of him are so touching and heartfelt. . . I have both laughed and cried, and it has been a blessing to know that his legacy will live on, his love for gardening, photography, nature, storytelling and Oklahoma aren't going to be forgotten. In a way, through you, and the threads he participated in and started, I will have the opportunity to know my Dad in way that most children wouldn't. Reading your posts has been a real comfort to me.
I am still learning about the web, and how to use the computer, not to mention the terminology. I will be learning my way around on DG and I hope to share with you some of the plants and wildlife and stories from my part of the world. My Dad always encouraged me to embrace learning as an adventure, so as I embark on this new adventure. I would like to share with you the first memory I have of my Dad.
It was a warm spring night, and we (my three older siblings and I) were perched on the trunk of his car. He was pointing out the North Star, constellations like the Big and Little Dippers, and the Milky Way. His enthusiasm for sharing the wonders of the heavens have always been an inspiration to me. I've always loved to stargaze because of him. Being of Cherokee Indian descent, I believe that when someone dies a new star is born in the heavens, and my Dad is exploring the greatest mystery of all, with his camera strapped around his neck. So we come full circle, and there is a new star being born in the Milky Way . . .
Thanks to all of you for checking to see what happened with Dad, and your comments. If any of you would like to contact me via dgmail please do so. I would welcome hearing more memories and of his stories.
Thanks to Dave for providing this delightful place for nice people to meet and share. I'm not sure who set up this "hyperlink" Memory Book for my Dad, but it was a very generous act of kindness, which I know my entire family appreciates.
Trois' daughter,
SingingWolf

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #5517820

Beautiful thoughts and memories, Singing Wolf. Thanks for sharing and welcome to DG!
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

September 6, 2008
11:17 PM

Post #5517849

I too was impressed by the number of people who took the time to write here, it certainly speaks volumes about the man. I'm glad it helped, and yes, welcome to Daves Garden.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2008
11:22 PM

Post #5517868

welcome, SingingWolf, daughter of Trois. his spirit will live on through you as you come to know and love DG the way we all do, the way he did.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2008
11:33 PM

Post #5517897

Singingwolf...
So very nice to meet you! I am glad you listened to your dad and joined Daves Garden, you won't regret it. trois left so many footprints here you will enjoy walking among the threads and reading his posts.
His sense of humor was the best!
My thoughts are with you and your family during this time.
Connie
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

September 6, 2008
11:33 PM

Post #5517899

How wonderful that you can enjoy these messages, SingingWolf, and know how your dad was appreciated outside of your family. Welcome to DG, and thank you for sharing your memory with us.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2008
11:39 PM

Post #5517913

Welcome Singingwolf.. by you joining in here, it does bring us full circle. A bit of your dad is still here.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #5518368

Welcome Singingwolf, your father was a wonderful man, smart, funny, and generous.
I met him at my first RU at lake Texoma three years ago, and saw him at every RU that I attended since then. He loved to go and see everybody, and we all loved to see him and your mom Barbara.
Here he is with his door prize at the Arlington RU last year.

Thumbnail by frostweed

angele

September 7, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #5518478

Dear SingingWolf,

I'd like to add my very warm welcome to Dave's to you too. Thank you for sharing your memory of your father with us. His star in the heavens must be a very bright one indeed.
I wonder how many Pride of Barbados are growing around the world because of your Dad. He taught me how to gather the seeds of the Desert Bird of Paradise to send in return to him. I didn't know when they would be ready and he said "Just listen for the pop"
He still makes me smile.
Hugs,
Angele

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2008
2:09 AM

Post #5518508

So glad to welcome you SingingWolf. It was a pleasure to meet your Dad and Barbara at several Round Ups here in TX. He was a sweet man with a big heart and a love for nature; and great knack for photography.
We look forward to getting to know you through DG in the future.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 7, 2008
2:12 AM

Post #5518529

Welcome SingingWolf! I love your name! :-)

I hope that you will be able to locate all the threads your father started and all the posts he made. He took great joy in photographing nature! All of us enjoyed his awesome photographs and his stories! How fortunate that he posted here on DG and shared his adventures with us ... and now with you and the family. I know that he would be delighted that you are here on DG to discover a part of him that you may not have known about. A bit of a legacy that he has left behind for you and the family. I hope reading his words and seeing his photos brings comfort and peace during this difficult time.

My deepest sympathy to you and the entire family. {{{hugs}}}

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #5518549

SingingWolf, Thank you for sharing that Special memory of you and your Father with us...
I also lost my Father this year and special memories help comfort me with his absence.
You have a wonderful Memory Book here of the people your Father has inspired and touched
with his passions of Nature and Life.
Welcome and enjoy your time spent here at Dave's Garden.

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #5518611

Singing Wolf...a hearty welcome to Daves...I enjoyed meeting Trois when I traveld from AZ to one of the TX RU's...you can go to his home page...and there you will see a place that will let you view all the posts he has made.

Since his passing Dave has added a blue Forget Me Not to his name on all forums in which he has posted...that is to honor one we have lost.

Jo
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2008
4:25 AM

Post #5518979

Welcome Singingwolf!

It's sweet to know that your Father thought to bring you here.
This is a caring, healing, story telling bunch of people.
He of course knew that as he was one of them.
I'm sure you will receive many (((Hugs))) and much Love.
Having lost my Mother just months ago I know how much that helps.

garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2008
5:29 AM

Post #5519247

Welcome SingingWolf!
Although I never had the opportunity to meet Trois in person, I enjoyed his company on many DG threads. His spirit seems very much alive on DG. My heartfelt condolences to you.
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2008
1:47 PM

Post #5519784

A big welcome to you Singing Wolf, I am sure you will enjoy DG. I never met your father in person, but for the many years we shared photos and messages, I felt we were friends. Again my sympathy to your entire family.

Donna
busybee
Kentwood, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2008
7:32 PM

Post #5521084

A warm welcome Singing wolf. I like your user name too. I hope you will continue to be comforted as you explore the many post that your Dad has made and be encouraged to percipitate just as he did.He was a wonderful and caring person and shared his thoughts and knowledge freely. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your whole family. You can always come here to Dave's and know that he still lives on in our hearts and minds.
Big Hugs to You and Yours
Mary D.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2008
10:02 PM

Post #5521531

Welcome to DG Singingwolf!

I never met Trois in person, but I enjoyed his humor and knowledge on these threads. He will live on here and in heaven.

{{{Hugs to you and your family}}}
Sharon
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2008
4:06 AM

Post #5523021

Thanks to all of you who have sent me a warm welcome to Dave's Garden, I have been reading your posts and the threads Dad started. I wanted to clear up a mistake I made when writing my first post ever. You see, I was describing a plant I had seen growing locally, but couldn't find this past spring. Dad told me I was describing Pride of Barbados, but I couldn't find it by that name where I live in CA. Out here I was able to locate it with his help, going under the name of Red Bird of Paradise (Caesalpinea Pulcherrima). I think I combined the two names (oops!), I went out and copied the info off the tag to be sure I got it right this time. Mine is still in the container. It must have pleased Dad that I had independently fallen in love with his favorite bush/plant. I never knew it was his favorite, and that he was encouraging people to plant them, until I was reading the posts in his memory book. I decided to ask my Darling Husband (DH), to dig a hole out in my fledgling butterfly and hummingbird garden where I can see it every day when I open the front door. Thank goodness it is a sun loving plant. We get a lot of that, but our average rainfall is about 10"/year. Thank goodness too for irrigation drip lines! I hope to share some of my favorites with all of you, and when I figure out how, pictures too. Just don't expect them to be as good as my Dad's. He was in a class by himself. I'll bet you probably didn't know that my Dad was basically self taught, had little formal education, just had an incredible curiosity and the discipline to apply himself. Which makes his achievements all the more remarkable. He picked up information fast. I can see why people would call him Data, but Dad was always full of enthusiasm unlike the the Star Trek character who longed to experience emotion. All of his children are proud of his work with NASA. I'm sure most of us remember helping him out in his darkroom developing pictures too!
Thanks again for letting me clear up my mistake, and for the warm welcome! It really helps.

SingingWolf

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2008
12:22 PM

Post #5523783

If anyone has some extra Barbados seeds from trois, I would really love a few. I assume it can be grown in a container and brought inside for winter in my zone. Thanks.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #5524123

The Red Bird of Paradise is my very favorite flower in the Southwest. I tell everyone it makes it worthwihile to go to Tucson just to see it flowering all over town.

Although I have killed 5 (so far)...I have great hope that the latest two I have planted will survive the coming winter...

There are some flowering around our area...but the native yellow does better...but they are not a showy!

Jo
angele

September 8, 2008
2:14 PM

Post #5524241

Absolutely Victor. They should do well in a container. Here in zone 7b or 8a they have to be mulched. Mine haven't set any seed this year but if they do I will send you some.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #5524666

Victor, I still have several Pride of Barbados seeds from Trois. I will be happy to send you some. He also shared some Evergreen Wisteria with me. Would you like some of those also. It's a beautiful deep purplish red cluster vine. I'll see if I can find the plantfiles on it. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59543/

Janet

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5524727

Thanks Janet. Angele will be sending me some. I would love to try the wisteria but already have too many things that have to be brought in for the winter. I do appreciate the offer though - thank you!
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2008
6:13 PM

Post #5525123

What a guy! And what can I say about Trois that hasn't been said already? You have all touched me with your comments and blessings regarding our dear brother. We made an immediate connection from the first RU a few years back. He was always one to check up on me to see if seeds he shared had sprouted, and willing to send more if they hadn't. What a guy! Even the birds knew to trust him..:-). When it would be past a while of visiting with him and Barbara, I would see him in the faces of other guys who held a similar resimblence, although they are or never will hold a candle to our Trois. He was a classy, very cool, down home, laid back person. Ben, Jackie, Kirby, Kevin, and I were very sad on hearing he had departed. We will now have to wait a little while to see him again.

Thanks to Sheila for letting me know!

Nice to see you SingingWolf and Gabriel. How blessed we all have been for knowing your wonderful Dad, our brother, our friend.

Debnes

Here's a little fella who posed for Trois and I while we broke in his newest camera.10-28-07

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2008
6:20 PM

Post #5525155

Here is a pic of our big buddy Trois... (I have lots of pictures.) Also lots of joyful great memories with him sharing the smallest things in the garden. I will never forget him.

Debnes

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #5525167

SingingWolf, pleased to meet you. Your dad's active presence here at DG really does afford you a rare opportunity. What a gift. I'm so glad you've joined. :)

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2008
12:43 AM

Post #5526754

SingingWolf...we look forward to the pictures from you. We all started somewhere, just jump on in.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 10, 2008
6:43 AM

Post #5532662

Singingwolf, welcome ! I'm so happy to meet you, I never knew he had a daughter too! Although I never met your Dad in person...being so far away ...I appreciated and enjoyed all his posts and emails. I shared his love for stars, being a sci-fi fan and I was so proud of meeting someone who worked for the NASA. That is when he told me he was named Data at NASA, but not for the robot thing, but only for looking like Data. Also loved his sense of humor, his jokes and funny comments always made me laugh! Not to mention his amasing pics!
Your Dad will never be forgotten , he has marked our lives with so much joy, beauty and knowledge !
I hope we can meet here , on DG, more often !
Hugs,
Adina

This message was edited Sep 10, 2008 2:46 AM

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

September 10, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #5534281

Shocking news. It was just by chance I saw that thread in the Gen. Dis. & Chat forum [had not visited there lately] posted by Gabriel, his grandson. All I can say now is "may his soul rest in peace". May the Lord give his family the strength wherewithal to bear this blow. He was such a fine person. I loved his pictures. I remember esp. one D-mail chats we had and he wanted to know more about Indian diary... cow being milked and all that... it was an interesting exchange of mails. I'll miss him too, like hundreds here on DG.

My condolences to the trois family... hope SingingWolf will convey them to all concerned.

(Dinu)

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2008
12:46 PM

Post #5537686

It wasn't gardening, it wasn't photography, it wasn't cooking catfish that he taught us.
It was life and love and humor...Betty

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

September 11, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #5538432

Yes, one could easily gauge those attributes from the tenor itself in his threads.
gabagoo
Yonkers, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2008
8:23 PM

Post #5539615

How sweet that one of Trois' photos was featured today on Bloom.com!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #5540940

edited...link no longer available

This message was edited Oct 29, 2010 6:36 AM
Ursula
Santiago
Chile
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #5542837

I am having a hard time accepting that my dear friend Trois is no longer with us. I learned about his passing on the 5th and still cannot/don't want to accept it is true.

Trois was such a fine person. He was a wonderful friend, photographer and story teller, besides fun and generous! His dear Barbara and children must be having a terrible time. My heart goes out to them.

This has been a terrible shock to all of us and he will not be forgotten.

Hugs to Barbara, kids and grandkids, as well as all of us who feel devastated by Trois' absence.

Ursula

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #5543799

I still think we should ask Dave if he would open a forum with Trois' pictures. Because he took so many, they could separated in different threads, like landscapes, animals, perennials, roses, etc. What do you all think. I'd love to have them at my fingertips rather than be searching for them and it would keep Trois alive to us.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2008
10:16 PM

Post #5544079

Here is a link to the pictures that Trois added to the Plant Files. Of course this doesn't show the ones he added to numerous threads.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/imagesbyuser.php?user=trois
Josephine.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2008
9:47 PM

Post #5547810

Trois will be missed by so many. He was a wonderful man ... the kind you do not get to meet often and the kind that that will always be remembered with love and admiration. I feel so fortunate to have met Trois and Barbara in person at one of the RUs. Even if you never met him in person, one truly feels like you know him personally through his magnificent photos and wonderful posts. May the ponds in heaven be full of fish, the landscape full of wildlife and the gardens brimmed with beautiful plants for Trois to enjoy.

SingingWolf, I bet your father had a great big smile on his face when you joined Dave's Garden. Welcome. Know that he will be rewarded for all the good that he did and the lives that he touched (human, pant or animal) while he was among us. Gabriel, thank you for letting us know of your grandfather's passing. He was always seeking knowledge about, appreciating and recording the wonders provided to us on earth for us to enjoy. Now he has been provided all the knowledge and all of the answers to questions he that he sought and is joyous in the revelations. I send my sympathy and prayers for his family and friends.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #5547829

I believe Dave is planning some kind of a special page with trois' best photos. That's all I know now.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2008
3:51 AM

Post #5549340

ws That will be nice!
And SO fitting!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 14, 2008
6:06 AM

Post #5549616

Great, thanks for the info, woodspirit!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2008
12:57 PM

Post #5549981

I remember on the photo forum that he had several threads of flower pictures that he did the photoshop that made the pictures look like a kalidascope and we would try to id the plant from them. It was something he took great pleasure in, just trying to keep us guessing. LOL!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2008
5:14 PM

Post #5550969

That's a wonderful idea. I think the last picture we talked about was the fly that was sitting on his leg. I got a big kick out of that. It was also an exellent picture.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2008
2:33 AM

Post #5552839

Has anyone heard from Barbara or Gabriel about damage they may have had? DG friends say that area was under mandatory evac.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2008
4:46 PM

Post #5554702

I'm so sad to hear this news. My condolences to his family. Trois had such a gift of making everyone feel they were special. His love of nature and humanity shined. My thought and prayers are with the family and I hope they have weathered the storm of Ike as well. Thank you for posting SingingWolf, it is wonderful to meet you and makes me feel that your father isn't so far away.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #5556296

Very Frustrated with computer loosing my drafts today!

Good news: Barbara & Dad's house is only missing a couple of Roof tiles. My Youngest Brother (YB#2) says everything is fine. They were without power for about 20 hours, he has a generator. My YB#2's wife had to work. Their children and Barbara took shelter from H.caine Ike at my sister's place near Austin. All of the various critters are ok. Thank you for your continuing thoughts and prayers.

I'm going to quit while I'm ahead for now, and send this off before it is lost and I have to retype again (X4 already).

Walk in Beauty (WIB),

SingingWolf

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2008
2:02 AM

Post #5557024

Great news SW! Glad the house is repairable and most of all the family safe!
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #5557095

SingingWolf,
So glad to hear that.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 19, 2008
7:15 PM

Post #5572910

Singingwolf, thanks for the update, I'm so happy everyone is OK.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 21, 2008
7:07 PM

Post #5581132

I must apologize for having been out of contact, and unable to take a more active part in this tribute to my cyberspace friend , Trois Helvy.

He was a beautiful human being. A friend to everyone who was lucky enough to participate in these common threads.

Whether it was his gunea fowl or his snakes or his flowers; I, for one, felt that he was always right there beside me, as we corresponded through the magic of the Internet.

His stories came alive. I lived his adventures with him. But Troy left part of himself behind. His stories of his Fuyu persimmons had my mouth watering, and my eyes green with envy. Needless to say I now have a couple of persimmon trees struggled to bear fruit in my garden.

But,wonder of wonders, a real piece of Trois that just burst into blossom. It started as one of Trois' Pride of Barbadoes seeds. Each time a butterfly comes by for a sip of its nectar I will think of Troy, and mourn his untimely passing.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 21, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #5581769

You are so right Flyboy.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 21, 2008
10:19 PM

Post #5581835

You have a great memory of trois right there.
Ursula
Santiago
Chile
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #5582423

I know what you mean, flyboy. Trois had the ability to make each one of us feel a special friend, but he was the special one! Somehow he made us to become a better human being. I miss him very much and can only imagine the pain his passing has caused his beloved Barbara and children. We were so lucky to have him among us for some time!

Hugs to Trois' family and to all DGardeners that miss him.

Ursula

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 22, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #5584462

Amen.

He was one fantastic friend.

Be well
tigerlily
Tiller, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 23, 2008
7:51 PM

Post #5589929

I feel a deep sense of loss. My heart goes out to the family and friends this wonderful gentleman left behind. God speed trois, you shall be sorely missed here.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2008
1:48 PM

Post #5658370

I must post this...

Some of you remember when I asked people to send Birthday cards to my sister, Ruth...who was turning 91...I am in WV now...and Ruth had a massive stroke last week...and is in the process of leaving this earth for a better place God has prepared for all of us.

I had told Ruth that I wanted to read her cards and have them to let my church ladies recycle them for their projects.

My Neice gave them to me yesterday...and the first thing I saw when I opened the box was an 8 X 10 picture of two Blue Jay's feeding...bright and glossy...and from Trios!!

So you see...he is still brightening my day!! Jo
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2008
2:04 PM

Post #5658425

Everytime this thread pops up, my memories of trois are triggered and there are many of them! I miss our email conversations and banter as his sense of humor always slayed me!
I will have to go now and read the "blu" thread again. That in one of my favorites.
Thanks for that wonderful memory Jo!
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2008
2:20 PM

Post #5658459

How nice it must have been to see that, strange too. Do you think Trois fixed it to let us know he's still with us? Comforting thought :)
bookworm28
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #5658534

Jo - that's so cool. I was going through my seeds this weekend and found a packet of false foxglove from Trois!

Can you share the link to the "blu" thread? I've not been able to find it.

Also - Trois's daughter, SingingWolf has joined DG, and I've enjoyed so much dmailing her and getting to know her. So glad you're here, SingingWolf!
bookworm28
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #5658540

Wallaby - I was thinking the exact same thing!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 11, 2008
3:09 PM

Post #5658583

Bookworm, I have been Dmailing SingingWolf too and she shared so much wonderful memories of her Dad. I think Trois is happy to know we have so much in common with her daughter as we had with him.
Have you checked the photo contest thread? Is dedicated to trois, a beautiful memory Dave made for our lost friend...
Thank you, Dave !
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #5658620

I can't find the blu thread either! Can anyone help us?

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #5658631

I would love the link to the thread also. I know I read parts of it once, but lost it.

I have been working on taming a bluejay since Trois' passing. I see them and think of him. I have several that feed for me, but this one comes very close as you see in the photo. I have put my hat over a coffee can and can stand about 2 foot away and he steals my peanuts. I have tried standing there with the hat on but so far he will just sit on a nearby shepard's hook and scold me. LOL!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #5658672

I hope to meet his DD next spring at a RU in CA. Jo
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2008
3:56 PM

Post #5658677

I dmailed Dave to see if he can help us find the old blu thread and will let you know.
bookworm28
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2008
4:43 PM

Post #5658773

Sheila - that's so cool! Good luck with the blue jay taming! Did you start a thread on this process?

Thanks weeds - it seems that thread made a lot of people happy. I'd love to read it.

Adinmati - our love of gardening makes for a small world, doesn't it? Trois really knew that. I'll check on the photo contest thread in his honor. Thanks.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 11, 2008
4:46 PM

Post #5658782

Is this the thread? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/681332/

And here is another one: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/803497/

This message was edited Oct 11, 2008 12:49 PM

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 11, 2008
5:01 PM

Post #5658822

I missed that thread, thanks for asking Dave, weeds! I checked through my watching threads and couldn't find it.
Small world, yes, Bookworm, but we are all sharing so many and make friends, even we are so far
away!
Adina

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 11, 2008
6:32 PM

Post #5659049

roadrunner...it sounds like Trois is very much there for you right now and giving you comfort.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2008
7:51 PM

Post #5659226

becky, those are not the threads but thanks for trying. This was a nonsense, very long and humerous thread a few years ago that seem to have a life of it's own.
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2008
8:09 PM

Post #5659267

I may be wrong, but the 'Blu' thread may have been removed. It got very long to load and I think I remember someone asking about it before.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2008
8:22 PM

Post #5659286

Oh so sad, that was such a fun thread trois started.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2008
10:44 PM

Post #5659704

Dave, you are special! Thanks for the prompt reply as we thought it was gone forever!
Here is the link to the famous or infamous "blu" thread from our trois.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/550014
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2008
11:13 PM

Post #5659769

I am so glad that you all carry my Dad in your heart. It gives me a great deal of comfort to read your words and memories. It still sneaks up on me that Dad is gone, and then I dissolve in a puddle of tears. Or I see something or read something I want to share with him, and I can't. So I've been taking pictures and writing to you all. So many people have opened their hearts and told me how Dad was helping them through tough times. Dad knew that we'd all be missing him. He also knew that grief should be shared. It somehow makes me feel not so alone when I read your posts and know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. Needless to say, I miss Dad and I always will, but I don't feel so alone with my grief knowing I can dmail any of you, and you'll be there for me.
Thanks weeds, I'd like to see the blu thread myself. I hope Dave can resurrect it.
Jo, I am so sorry to hear about your sister. I will be praying for you and your family. Glad that Dad's picture made you smile. I'm looking forward to meeting you too!
Sheila the bluejay picture is a beaut. You may want to make a femannikin to wear your hat. Keep a regular schedule of visiting/feeding the bluejay. Same place, same time every day, it can be a real commitment to gain their trust. Dad always said you have to practice being still, or moving slowly so as not to startle the wild one. He used to talk to them too, just to get them used to hearing his voice. I used to have a hard time with it as a kid. This will help you befriend the bird, aided with a never ending supply of peanuts! It may not sit on your head but if it does who will take the pictures? LOL!
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #5659770

Bless you Dave. Thank you weeds!
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 12, 2008
6:28 AM

Post #5661162

Thanks Dave ! Bless you!
bookworm28
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2008
1:32 PM

Post #5661697

What a great sense of humor he had! Thanks, Dave.
flowerette
Alvin, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #5665852

SingingWolf,

I am just now returning to Dave's after a long absence and have just only now received the shock of Trois' passing. Please give my condolences to Barbara and all your family. I had met Trois and Barbara at one of the plant swaps many years ago, and I always anticipated seeing them each time. Just living in the adjacent town, Alvin, it was nice to know that Trois and Barbara were always there to consult about many different subjects. I can never imagine your deep grief, but I lost my mother in July after a very, very long illness, so I can say it is heart wrenching. God Bless you and your family and look forward to seeing you again here at Dave's.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

October 24, 2008
9:40 AM

Post #5710832

The Pride of Barbados seeds that Trois sent me have started to sprout. One more has come up since I took this shot two days ago. Trois memory will live on in so many ways and in so many places.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

October 24, 2008
4:57 PM

Post #5711930

Looking good !!

Mine are doing great -- first year. Two are in full bloom, and the third one is trying to catch up.

I don't know what to do about topping them off to get more side branches.

Trois -- where are you when we need you?

Be well

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2008
11:09 PM

Post #5719737

flyboy:
When I got home from TX, my POB was still in the pot. I was sad to see that the tips of the three surviving stalks had been burnt by the sun. My DH has planted it in my B.fly/H.bird garden. I just went back out to look. I had previously noted new buds. I can confirm it will branch out again. Be judicious in topping, and see what happens. Mine were burnt about 2" from the top of the plant. See picture. New growth is appearing , just below the burnt parts either right above or on the first leaf down from the damage new buds are developing. It seems to be happier now that it is planted.
Hope this helps.
WIB!
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

October 27, 2008
3:18 PM

Post #5721816

I think that they are always happier in the ground.

This is what my three seeds have developed into as of now. The third one hasn't budded, yet, but is healthy.

I'll top them all off after I have taken off the seed pods. (And sent them to you.)

Be well

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 4:12 PM

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2008
7:26 PM

Post #5726647

Thanks Flyboy! Yours looks great! I'd wait til after the harvest too.
WIB!
SW

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2008
12:56 AM

Post #5745376

I am stunned to hear of his passing. I had no idea. He always posted in the Wildlife Forum and showed us the fantastic photos of raccoons and other critters.

He was a great photographer and an obvious lover of God's Creatures.

He will certainly be missed.

Terese
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #5799487

So sorry to hear of Trois' passing. Thoughts and prayers to your family.

Nancy

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 17, 2008
6:23 PM

Post #5801417

Note to the POB seed-pod fanciers:

I noticed some of the fuller pods missing. Amateur Sherlock that I am, I discovered the culprit. My landscaper. I caught him munching on them -- like peas.

There still are some left. I hope that he stops eating them -- as he promised -- and that they don't make him sick.

Oh, the travails of a gardener.

Be well

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2008
8:58 PM

Post #5802145

LOL!!
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #5802594

Bad Gardener! LOL! Who'd think that anyone would do that? As if the four leggeds weren't bad enough, now you have to watch out for the two leggeds! Too funny!
WIB,
SW

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2008
11:32 PM

Post #5802678

I hope he knows what he is doing, it could be poisonous.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #5802702

I just found this link, scroll to the bottom, it says they are poisonous, but safer after cooking.
http://www.floridata.com/ref/C/caes_pul.cfm

You might warn your gardener.
Josephine.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2008
3:33 AM

Post #5803651

By George, I think it is, what do you think Christi?
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 18, 2008
3:47 AM

Post #5803695

I'm a newbie member and never had the opportunity to know Trois. I just wanted to say that the 2008 Photo Contest that was dedicated to Trois brought a great amount of beauty and joy to my life. His memory will always live on for me because of this. Thank you Dave for letting us all share a part of Trois.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 18, 2008
2:57 PM

Post #5804767

Dahlianut, those are such beautiful words ! I'm sure Trois appreciates it too!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 18, 2008
3:55 PM

Post #5804987

Thanks I'm putting a tag on them:

PELIGRO -- Estas semillas son venenosas.

Hope it works.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #5805002

I suppose that says...
"Danger -- Seeds are poisonous"?

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

November 18, 2008
4:10 PM

Post #5805058

Right !!! (These seeds, etcetera)

Interesting story. We were architects and engineers for a chain hotel in Disney World, involved in retro-fitting it with an alarm system in case of fires.

They subsequently had a fire -- the system worked perfectly -- everyone got out safely.

While still congratulating ourselves for the success of the system, we were rudely awakened to a law suit; contending that the announcements were not in enough (non-English) languages. We had included Spanish!

You can't win.

But, we try.

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #5805901

Who knew? Good idea to tag them flyboy. I'm glad that frostweed shared what she found with us so you could tag the plant. And we can keep an eye on our children who may not know better!
Lovely of you to share with us Dahlianut. Dad would be so happy to know that he is still influencing the DG community. You entered some great photos in the contest, pass forward your love and knowledge of photography to other newbies! That is what Dad was all about. I can't think of a better way to honor his life.
Walk In Beauty,
SingingWolf
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 25, 2008

Post #5829377

Hi Singing Wolf!
Did Trois happen to harvest any of the Agalinis seed this year? If so I would love some of the seeds to carry them on from here in his memory. (This plant is also a host plant for the caterpillar of the Buckeye butterfly which he and I also love very much.)

Here is the plant Trois has:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/54339/
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2008
6:40 PM

Post #5830057

Deb:
I don't know, will have to ask my sister in TX. The photo will help. She may be able to gather seed this spring for you, but I can't promise for her.
Thinking of you all, in TX. Anyone who needs seed to replant their gardens from H.Caine Gus or Ike should look at the fall frenzy piggy trade. I don't know how to send a hyperlink or I would. I'll ask for help. If you can find it on your own, fellow DG'ers are sharing seed with gardeners affected by H.Caine Gus and Ike for free.
BBS,
WIB,
SingingWolf

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2008
6:45 PM

Post #5830076

SingingWolf,

here is the link to the Seed Swap, where all hurricane/storm victims are welcome to any of the seeds.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/926155/
this is Thread #7 [we tend to have a lot of chatter] but the links to the important threads are at the top, and you can always email Starlight and let her know you are interested in seeds to replace what you have lost.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2008
5:08 AM

Post #5857010

Thank you tcs1366. May all of you H.caine survivors have a Happy Holiday Season!

I wanted to thank all of you who have been keeping us in your thoughts and prayers this Christmas. I know that this is going to be tough for all of us this year without Dad.
My DH and I have a Christmas Tree Farm (we grow them, you cut them).
Two boys I have watched grow into young men did something for me today which touched my heart. They know how much I miss my Dad. I had mentioned Dad's infamous Blue thread several times since discovering it, and that every time I turn on the radio these days I hear the song Blue Christmas (not yet being performed by Elvis). Look at what they gave me. See photo.
Every year at Christmas I share the story of the all American Tradition of the Outdoor Lighted Tree. This year, we will use this tree to illustrate that story. I always cry when I tell the story, but always good tears. I will have more lights up by Saturday.
For the fifteenth year, our small community will gather for the story, and afterwards, for caroling and refreshments around the fire ring. There is going to be lots of laughter this year, because I'm changing the lyrics, but not the tunes.
I feel so blessed by each and every one of you, that I had to share this photo.
I hope to take another better photo when this oak tree is dressed in all her finery to share with you too.
Hoping that your Holidays are full of Love and Laughter!
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 4, 2008
12:51 PM

Post #5857352

What beautiful blue star ! can't wait to see the tree ready !
Adina
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2008
3:31 PM

Post #5857798

Very special BLUE star SingingWolf! I would love to know what your lyrics will be! Could do with a good laugh. :)
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2008
6:04 PM

Post #5858420

I was so touched by the blue star, and the way it seems to shoot up into the sky! I had tears welling up in my eyes. I felt like the Grinch just after his heart grew bigger. I will use the blue star every year as a tribute to my Dad, and as a reminder that my "children of the heart" have gifted me with a treasure. Their compassion and acknowledgment of my grief is a great healing force.
I had a lot of trouble finding a menu setting on my camera, that would allow a clear (?) view. My little point and shoot camera just didn't know how to handle the night shot. Any suggestions?
I'll share the lyrics when I figure out which ones I will use. See photo of my DH in front of the fire ring.
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2008
8:51 PM

Post #5858944

It's lovely those young men brought you that blue star, so sweet. The yearly tradition sounds wonderful, too. What is the story of outside Christmas trees?

You might have better luck with photographing the tree once there are more lights and ornaments. Otherwise, you can try pointing a flashlight at an area of it to assist the camera in focusing. If your camera has a night mode (often depicted as an icon showing a crescent moon with or without a person next to it), that will make the flash fire to include detail, but also leave the shutter open a bit longer to allow ambient light to illuminate the frame.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2008
10:45 PM

Post #5859238

Singingwolf,
What a great story and tradition. Will like to see the words also...humor was trois's forte' so you must be a lot like him.
I still miss him lots. Especially Sunday mornings, we always checked on each other then and shared the weeks happenings.
Connie

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2008
11:37 PM

Post #5859425

Hi SingingWolf,

Love your blue radiant star on your oak tree. I've always loved blue lights at Xmas. Any time I drive by outside trees with blue lights in the evening, my neck stretches out as I pass by to catch a glimpse of them. If I spotted your blue star, I'd surely hit the brakes and stop to get a good look! That was really special of your friends to do that. I'm not familiar with your Dad's "blue" thread... but, wasn't he especially fond of BLUEjays ;)

I wish we had a nice medium size outside tree to decorate "blue". Our trees are all much too large or the opposite, too small and lean.

This was our inside tree last Xmas :)
All the best and many blessings to you and your family this holiday season,
~Diana

Thumbnail by wind

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2008

Post #5859834

That's beautiful, Diana!

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

December 5, 2008
2:40 AM

Post #5860077

Singingwolf,

...How Beautiful!!

I am smiling.
A wonderful story.

Trois would be smiling too.

Just gotta Love blue!

Warm hugs and good wishes for the holidays

It is really nice to see you Singingwolf,
Your tree and tradition is spectacular.
Thank you so much.
Judy

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2008
6:18 AM

Post #5860562

I've certainly come to appreciate blue much more since I started reading the blue thread. I love ~Diana's tree too. I promise I will share the story and the photos. Some might say (tongue firmly in cheek) that I've been a storyteller all my life. I am honored to carry on with Dad's story telling. If my favorite Christmas story enriches your life too, then I've made Dad proud. I'm not forgetting any of Dad's friends, and really do feel blessed that you are all reaching out to help me through this time. It is so much better to share grief. I know you miss him too.
For you folks in the states, I've got my kids helping me search out some "fractured Christmas Carols online", and there were some funny ones in this month's issue of the Reader's Digest. They used to print some good ones in Mad Magazine, but I couldn't find a single issue on the shelves.
I've got one little girl who drives her mom nuts practicing for this event each year. She is such a sweet kid, she doesn't know I'm playing a trick on her this year. LOL! : )
It's going to be a really fun time.
Hoping your Christmas is full of LIGHT (Blue of Course), Love and Laughter!
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2008
11:16 PM

Post #5862703

Blue lives on!
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2008

Post #5906809

My son is very proud of me. Today I mastered the right click, copy, paste. I also did my first blog. I promised to share my favorite Christmas story, and that was the best place for it.
We had the largest attendance ever, at our Tree Lighting Ceremony this year. I admit I choked up during the story, just like always. When the power failed as we were starting to carol, Santa saved the day! : )
Have a Merry Christmas!
WIB!
SW
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2008
4:34 AM

Post #5907113

Way to go on the copy and paste - that enables you to do a lot in a lot of different programs!

Your tree lighting is such a neat tradition. Pictures?

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 19, 2008
10:18 AM

Post #5907399

Congratulations for what you learned, SW! I am very proud of you too! Can't wait to read the story! Let us know where is it! I'm with Kim, pictures please!
Adina
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #5907690

Thank you SingingWolf for posting your story, I am about to read it. For anyone who has not found it look at SW's Info page, and click on her Diary.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

December 19, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #5908330

Try "Control C" for copy, and "Control V" for paste. It's easier.

Happy Holidays

Be well

weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #5908439

I am glad you posted the story and I will read it when I get off work!
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2008
8:40 PM

Post #5909122

It is now posted in Holidays and Special Events forum too!
Thanks for the advice Adina!
Gardenwife, I didn't take photos this year during the event, but a friend did. I'll try to get a copy of hers to share.
WIB!
SW

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 19, 2008
8:46 PM

Post #5909132

I see you already got the tip from flyboy...you have many great friends here! You're welcome, always happy to help !
Waiting for the pics!
Adina
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2008
5:02 AM

Post #5926437

Today something wonderful happened. : )
I discovered this orchid blooming. It has never bloomed for me before, and it's timing is so appropriate. Why? The tag on the orchid reads, "Blue Angel".
I'm taking it as a Merry Christmas from my Dad! : )
Merry Christmas to all of you!
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 25, 2008
5:08 AM

Post #5926450

Singing Wolf I never had the opportunity to know Troy being a new member but when I saw your post I remembered the 'Blu" thread that your Dad started. Personally I think this is very powerful to happen on Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas SingingWolf to you and yours. May joy and love bless all your days in the new year.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 25, 2008
6:03 AM

Post #5926552

Well it is now midnight here...so Merry Christmas Day Singing Wolfe!! Hope you and your family there and in TX have a wonderful New Year!
Sheila_FW

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 25, 2008
12:34 PM

Post #5926790

What beautiful flower your dad sent you! I was just sending ecards to my friends and Trois' address was still there...I can't decide to delete it...I guess I'll have to do it sometime. Peace and happiness for all your family, Singingwolf!
Merry Christmas everyone!
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 25, 2008
1:23 PM

Post #5926848

SingingWolf - DEFINITELY a sign from your Dad! :-) How cool! Merry Christmas! The Orchid bloom is very special and just beautiful! :-) I can see Trois smiling now! :-)

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

December 25, 2008

Post #5927026

Merry Christmas Singingwolf and all all friends of Trois.

May his Spirit bring you Joy, Love and Peace this Glorious Day!

Judy.

weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

December 25, 2008
3:09 PM

Post #5927057

Merry Christmas SingingWolf! What a wonderful surprise gift from your dad.

I know he is watching all of us and keeping up with the happenings on Daves!

I miss him very much and like Adina, cannot bring myself to take his name off my email address book. I think it will remain there forever.

Peace and Love,
Connie

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2008
2:57 AM

Post #5928335

Singing Wolf... Dave gave us a Christmas gift too. Trois would be elated to find out that we finally have a BirdFiles database! He took such great pictures of them with his spy cam. If you have access to any of the old pictures he took, it would be wonderful to see them posted there.
Sheila_FW
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 26, 2008
5:58 AM

Post #5928641

O that would be wonderful if Singing Wolf could share Trois's database. Thanks so much for thinking of that Sheila_FW.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #5929749

Sheila,
My first DG friend, you always do come up with the best of ideas! Thank you for letting me know about the bird files. All Dad's photography records are in Texas, and I am in CA. Perhaps, when things settle down I can get back to Texas to go through all of Dad's photos. It would be a huge undertaking as he has been taking photos for as long as I've been alive. That is over 50 years of photos! : )
At least I know his filing system! : )
I want to thank all of Dad's Friends for their warm welcome to me, and their continuing support! : )
I do have something special planned for New Years Day. I want to share with you a photo Dad sent to me. I love it so much, that I use it for my computer screen saver. It is the first thing I see in the morning when I log on, and the last thing I see when I log off at night. Over the last six months it has given me solace, hope and inspiration. I think New Years is the best time to share the photo.
Sending a Photo of my Christmas Tree this year. Thanks for the inspiration ~wind!
Until then,
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #5931094

Hey there SW... I hope you can get the photos; maybe someone can download to CDs and mail to you? If I lived down that way I would sure try to help. I don't think Barbara ever got on the computer, hopefully she still has it; or your brother does.
The tree is beautiful shaped; but with a tree farm at your disposal, I guess it would be! I just put up an artificial but enjoy it. I do look forward to the New Years surprise! Stay warm and healthy into the New Year.
Sheila_FW
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #5933530

FYI,
That is a pre-cut Noble fir from up in Oregon. I get my "pick", and since I can't get the Silvertip Fir tree, I picked out the Noble. I would use a Monterrey Pine, except they are still growing, and I just can't bring myself to cut down a tree, when I have those pre-cuts to choose from. LOL! : )
We do plant two to three seedlings for every tree we harvest, each year.
I shy away from the artificial trees for a variety of reasons. Most are made in China (I try to buy American), the process used in producing the artificial trees pollute the earth, and most people buy a new artificial tree every five years or so and the old one ends up in a land fill where it pollutes the earth more. I know a lot of people who are allergic to trees. I am allergic to the pines, but not the firs. Go figure. The thing I love most is that the pines are 100% biodegradable, they are producers of Oxygen, they provide habitat for the wild ones, and they make a great noise buffer. Totally renewable resource, especially with our replanting policy. It is an expense that a lot of families can't afford, and some people just don't want the bother of searching the farm for a tree, or the messy needles.
On the recycling end, many cities have programs where they collect the real trees after the holidays, and mulch them. Some are used to produce habitat in streams or creeks for fish. Some are recycled as bird feeders after Christmas, with people hanging suet balls, seeds balls, fruit and other goodies for the birds and squirrels. If you decide to do this, you will want to trim off the side branches and leave the bigger sturdier ones to hang the goodies from. Great way to keep kids occupied after the holidays, and teach them a bit about nature! : )
It is a matter of personal preference, and I expect the artificial vs. real tree debate will continue . . .
Sheila, I will see what I can do about Dad's photos. I am not going to make promises, but I will ask. Sorry about mounting my soapbox. Thank you for your continued well wishes, they really do help.
The Blue Angel Orchid smells a lot like Grape Hyacinth! Lovely! I stop and smell it every time I walk by! : )
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2008
8:50 PM

Post #5933535

The bird photos your dad uploaded to DG could be saved to your hard drive and re-uploaded to the Birdfiles. Maybe that's a thought?

How awesome about that bloom on Christmas day. Neat!

This message was edited Dec 27, 2008 3:52 PM
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2008
9:23 PM

Post #5933659

gardenwife,
That could be doable! Thank you for the suggestion. : )
Can I call on you for help if I get stuck?
That Blue Angel Orchid is full of surprises. I do feel blessed beyond belief!
WIB,
SW
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2009
8:00 AM

Post #5950770

Today we start a New Year. Dad sent me this photo on June 21, 2008 (the summer solstice). It was taken on one of his photo safari's with my YB#2. I hope it touches your hearts as deeply as it touched mine.
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

bootandall

bootandall
Blenheim
New Zealand

January 1, 2009
10:34 AM

Post #5950864

Singing Wolf that's is beautiful and touching pic from your dad,of the solstice.(summer)
A few day late but ,summer solstice here too.

Warm regards boot

Thumbnail by bootandall

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 1, 2009
11:26 AM

Post #5950885

SW, that's an amasing picture,what a beautful rainbow...great pic! Thanks for sharing it on the first day of this new year!
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
Adina

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2009
12:55 PM

Post #5950988

That is a georgeous picture SW! Thanks for sharing it on the beginning of our new year. It seems Trois has been gone so much longer than just 4 months. I am glad you are here to share his memory with so many on DG. Have a Blessed New Year everyone!
Sheila
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2009
6:57 PM

Post #5952420

Sheila, and Adina, I wanted to post this photo today, because of the message that the rainbow sends. This past year has been a stormy one for many of us.
It is a reminder that after the storm, the world is fresh and alive with wonder. In Native American Indian belief, the rainbow is a bridge to the spirit world.
Take a closer look at the upper right hand corner of Dad's photo.
Boots, thank you for your kind words, and the photo. Now I really want to go to visit your part of the world! Truly beautiful. : )
My wish is that we all take this photo from Dad, as a promise that there are better things awaiting us all in the coming seasons.
May we all Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #5952571

SingingWolf. Thanks for postign the pic. very fittign for this New Year. Didn't realiz e that that is what the Indians belive it stands for, but always thought it represented a cleanings and freshness.

Ya I saw the double rainbow. Just beautiful and moving. : )
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #5952579

Beautiful photo trois! I still miss you.
Thanks for posting SW, brings a smile to my face.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #5953290

Oh, and a double rainbow at that -- lovely!
bookworm28
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2009
4:02 AM

Post #5987604

Ah, SingingWolf, thank you for posting that photo your dad took, and the significance of the rainbow to the native American culture. God Bless you and your family in the new year. I'll keep that image in my mind this year.

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

January 10, 2009
4:50 AM

Post #5987736

Singingwolf,
Thank you! can't tell you how much I appreciate the lush, vast of green.

I feel like I can truly breathe
clean, and whole air/

..hiya trois.ty.
Oh Happy New Year to you as Well.
Judy
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2009
9:43 PM

Post #6226187

You know, I'm really missing Dad today. His sense of humor and his silliness.
I've been meaning to post and let you all know that I still have some Pride of Barbados seed available. Everyone who has requested it so far, has been sent some. So now I'm hoping the rest of the seeds can find homes with those who cared about him.
If you are interested, please Dmail me, and I'll send them out to you so they can be planted this year. That would please Dad more than just about anything else I can think of.
Thanks for all the support! I'm sure that Dad is smiling, knowing that his friends at DG are still looking out for me, and each other.
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

March 5, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #6226310

Sending you gentling hugs Singingwolf.

And I bet he sitting right beside you smiling at your continued sharing.

I am not sure that this plant will grow in my area. But I would love to give it a try.
Thank you for thinking of us.

Smile right back at him!
Judy

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6226328

If I had a greenhouse, I would gladly grow this in his honor, Singing Wolf.

*smiles*
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

March 5, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #6226639

Mrs Ed, you can share mine. I took this shot about 15 minutes ago.

SingingWolf, I now have four plants in-ground and all are thriving. Your Dad lives on in many ways and in many places.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #6226654

Such a beautiful healthy plant Margaret!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #6226655

wow, look at that baby grow.
angele

March 6, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #6226751

Wow! Margaret!! That is so wonderful - all the way in Austrailia! SingingWolf, I bet that photo lifted your spirit - how cool & unique a gift your father and you have given all of us. The planet is prettier in so many corners now!
:-)

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 6, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6226867

MargaretK~

Would that my POB plants looked as good, today.

Winter is just starting to say goodbye around here

But, mine'll be back -- give us another month or so.

Be well -- and the same to all of you who remember trois.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

March 6, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #6229236

SW, I found this picture Kelli posted on the weather forum, an amasing Pride of Barbados blooming and I wanted to share with you all, in Trois' memory.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #6230054

Beautiful Photos, Margaret, and Adina! ^_^
Thank you all who posted and viewed. I'm glad to see his babies growing and hope to see them spread!
Mine was frozen back, so it looks like I'll be checking out flyboys' thread on how to start them and starting all over myself. Unless by some miracle they decide to come back on their own.
Thank you for sharing. It means a lot to me to know that others still miss Dad too.
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6315508

It's springtime. I was out walking the dogs today and took my camera as I usually do. I was surprised to see this patch of Baby Blue Eyes growing on the hillside. I didn't even realize what I was looking at until I put the photos on the computer. It made me think of Dad, and how he is always with us.
I thought you might enjoy seeing this too.
WIB!
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 25, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #6315784

Thanks for posting that photo. I just sowed some seeds for those plants in one of my garden beds and was wondering what they looked like in bloom. Now I will also relate it to your beloved Father! :-) You are right, there are reminders everywhere of those we love. I just lost my wonderful Mother a little over a month ago and it's been hard, so I know how you are feeling at times. It's difficult and I miss her all the time. But I like your attitude ... "Walk in Beauty". Lovely advice! :-)
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

March 25, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #6318122

I love baby blue eyes, though they are sad and sorry little annuals up here. That's a fine patch of them. This morning, I was looking through my digital photos and came across this picture of my late husband and my great bellflower. Every summer I would tell him it was time to stake it up and have his picture taken next to it. We marveled that it reached or exceeded his 6 ft. height. I will sure think of him this year when I stake it up.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 25, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #6318260

Trois is just coming alive, again, in my garden.

Here are offspring of his Pride of Barbados -- and so he lives on.

Be well. all

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

March 25, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #6318349

What sturdy little fellows!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

March 25, 2009
7:19 PM

Post #6318416

SW, you're right, they are reminding us of your Dad! So beautiful!
FIyboy, it's nice to see Trois is not forgotten! Your baby plants are so cute!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #6319168

Weezing... They sure grow them tall in AK, the plant and your late DH!!
Nice Trois babies Fly! I just started a pot from seeds that SW send and have two about 3/4" tall now.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 26, 2009
12:26 AM

Post #6319940

For all POB growers.

The facts seem to indicate that the seeds are poisonous -- but my Mexican landscaper eats them like popcorn -- so who knows?

Be well -- he is

MDREAMS01
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #6320092

Singing Wolf,
Your Dad Is smiling down lettin you know I am the past and the furture , my mom does it to every year and after the shock I am okay!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then that a blessing , don't you think .
Blessing to You Girl!!
Carolyn
angele

March 26, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6320898

All of you are so wonderful. SingingWolf, this really is quite a tribute to your Dad. :-)
Weezingreens, such a tender memory- thank you for sharing it, very touching.
Flyboy, the POB sure like living with you!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 26, 2009
1:28 PM

Post #6321796

angele~

So far.

Be well

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6401343

Was missing Dad today. Went out to check for new growth on the Pride of Barbados, which has had a rough winter. It seems appropriate to have found this today.
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #6401525

That is a beautiful gift on an Easter morning for you J!! I wish my seeds would germinate; hopefully soon.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2009
4:01 AM

Post #6402005

I have a Pride of Barbados that I started with seed from Trois, I keep it in a pot and bring it in during the winter, don't trust leaving it outside in this climate.
It bloomed for me last year for the first time.
Josephine.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2009
4:36 AM

Post #6402139

Hope your seeds sprout soon, Sheila. ^_^
Glad you take such good care of yours, Josephine.
I also found this today, and have no idea where it came from or who planted it. Another lovely surprise for me today.
WIB,
SW

This message was edited Apr 12, 2009 8:36 PM

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 13, 2009
4:42 AM

Post #6402155

Surprises in the garden bring the most joy. Thanks for sharing SW.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 13, 2009
12:57 PM

Post #6402887

{{{Singing Wolf}}} I truly understand your saddness. This was my first Easter without my precious Mother. The first year is always the hardest because of all the holidays, birthdays, etc. Your perspective and reflections in nature is a lovely way to cope with your loss. I find it to be true for me as well. I love Spring. This year is more significant than any other Spring I've ever had. It gives us a sense of Hope and Renewal. WIB to you as well!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 13, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #6404536

Jules, such wonderful surprises ! I understand you miss your Dad, we're missing him too!
Hugs,
Adina

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

April 21, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #6444281

First POB bloom of the season.

Be well

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

angele

April 21, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6444453

:-)))))
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #6445598

Lovely! Mine are sending up leaves, and having to water daily due to our unseasonable heat, (100 degrees in the last three days!), but it survives! Thanks for sharing flyboy. You just made my day! ^_^
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 22, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #6446801

So beautiful!
flowerette
Alvin, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #6448367

SingingWolf,
Please let me know if you didn't receive the porter weed seeds. I'm sorry if you didn't receive them or if you have any complaints, please let me know. Like I had said, I will send you seeds from this year as soon as they produce. I don't know if you have received my D-mail.
Carol
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6455014

Carol,
You have Dmail.
WIB,
SW
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2009
11:36 PM

Post #6509581

I was just researching different Windows programs to use with Twitter and ran across one that reminded me of Trois. You'll see why! http://www.thirteen23.com/experiences/desktop/blu/#

Of course I have to install it and give it a whirl. :)

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #6509631

:-) Yep! Blu lives on!
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #6509913

Sorry gardenwife, I must have missed what reminded you of Trois, lol. All I got was an intro page. What was it?
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #6510079

The program is called Blu. :)
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6510380

I didn't even get the intro page. Even still, it is comforting to know that others still miss Dad, and are thinking of him. Blu will always live on in our hearts! ^_^
WIB,
SW
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #6510620

Your browsers might not have a plugin needed to view it. Here's what comes up for me:

Thumbnail by gardenwife

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #6510725

Too cool! Thanks for sharing that image with us, gardenwife!
WIB,
SW

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2009
3:46 AM

Post #6510860

Reminds me of one of Trois' bluejays he photographed too!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2009
5:12 AM

Post #6511109

Well, and it IS a Twitter application, so it's all fitting. :)
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6512848

^_^
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6513689

Hi Singing!
Do you have access to Trois' seed collections?

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 8, 2009
5:44 AM

Post #6520485

Kim, I heard of Twitter too, that's a cool picture ! It really reminds of Trois with the Blue thread.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #6596683

Dad,
This is a hard day for me in many ways. I've been thinking about you a lot, and missing you. Of all the good times we shared, and some of the bad ones too. How you were always there for me, whether I knew it or not. I found this poem and wanted to share it with you.

LIGHT MY WAY

Fire of illumination, light my way this day.
May I walk in beauty, may beauty surround
what I do and what I say.

What is closest is not most important.
Even bees know when a further flower
needs a fill.

Help me use my powers of transformation,
regeneration, hope and will.

Give me comfort in my questions.
and guide my chase.

Give me vision in the nighttime
as I run through trees of faith.

by Cassie Premo Steele

Thanks for the affirmation I'm following the right path.
Your loving daughter,
SingingWolf

This message was edited May 25, 2009 6:21 PM

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 26, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #6597569

{{{Hugs, Singing Wolf}}} I totally understand. I am missing my Mother who also passed away recently. I feel lost without her at times...
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2009

Post #6597936

Becky,
I am sorry to hear about your Mother's passing. If ever you want to talk, I'm here for you.
Dad would have appreciated this photo taken today out in my back yard.
It is a photo of a Black Crowned Night Heron. Not one my usual backyard birds. How Dad!
WIB!
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6599578

Sweet poem Jules, I know he would have loved to have you share it with him. In sharing with him you share with us too. Loved ones past are always on our minds at the time we need them in our lives. Just know he is ever present with you.

WIB Jules
Sheila

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 27, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6604345

Jules, what a lovely poem! Great picture too, you are your dad's daughter! I know how much you miss him , we all do here...especially it's almost a year since he passed away, may God rest his soul!
Becky, sending prayers your way for your beloved mom.
Hugs,
Adina
Ursula
Santiago
Chile
(Zone 9b)

June 2, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6628577

I agree with Adina, Jules: the poem is lovely and yes, we miss your dad very much.

Sorry for your mom's passing, Becky.

Hugs to all of you,

Ursula
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

June 17, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #6700888

Haven't been on DG lately. My little greenhouse business has kept me hopping. Having lost my husband in February, and thinking of him often as I work out in my yard, your poem was a welcome surprise when I checked threads this morning.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

June 17, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #6701767

Don't forget Mothers.

This poem is an old one, original in Russian, by Yevgeny Yevtushenko.

Our Mothers Depart
Yevgeny Yevtushenko

Our mothers depart from us,
gently depart
On tiptoe,
but we sleep soundly,
stuffed with food,
and fail to notice this dread hour.
Our mothers do not leave us suddenly,
no —
it only seems so 'sudden.'

Slowly they depart, and strangely,
with short steps down the stairs of years.
One year, remembering nervously,
we make a fuss to mark their birthday,
but this belated zeal
will save neither their souls
nor ours.

They withdraw ever further,
withdraw even further.
Roused from sleep,
we stretch toward them,
but our hands suddenly beat the air —
a wall of glass has grown up there!
We were too late.
The dread hour had struck,
Suppressing tears, we watch our mothers,
in columns quiet and austere,
departing from us.

Be well -- all

(o_O)

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

June 17, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #6701816

Sorry -- I neglected to post the original.

If we have any DGers over there.

:)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 17, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #6701856

That is so sad, but beautiful, thanks for sharing Fly! Posting a rose for all mothers departed and for Trois.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2009
8:18 PM

Post #6701919

So very true, flyboy. Thanks for posting your poem on Mothers. I know many relate to it.
As you said, Adina, so sad but yet so beautiful.
Thank you all for your continuing support, I appreciate it and it helps me to keep going with a good heart.
Father's Day is coming up, and I know it is going to hit me hard this year. Just grateful that I emailed Dad, last year, and told him how much he'd always meant to me. I stayed up late so it would be the first email he got on Father's Day. He emailed me back saying it was the nicest Father's Day gift he'd ever gotten.
I will continue to miss him, but sharing my sorrow, with you, his friends, helps me cope with my grief over his death.
Thank you.
A rose for all who've lost loved ones.
WIB!
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 17, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #6701963

Now you really made me cry... I'm offering my shoulder so we can cry together.
Hugs,
Adina
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #6702029

I've been told its a good thing to share tears of grief. I know you are there for me Adina. Knowing that you and so many others are there for me, is a huge support.
Now we dry our eyes, and give thanks that for whatever time we had him, that Trois/Dad was a part of our lives.
Lets go and take some photos. He'd have liked that.
Photo Safari Day! : )
WIB!
SW

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 18, 2009
10:09 AM

Post #6704379

Good idea! Lots of pics!LOL
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2009
7:53 PM

Post #6719659

Happy Father's Day, Dad. What I said last year, I still feel for you. Only now more than ever.
I know someday we'll meet again, along the path of the Great Mystery, because Love never dies, you are forever in my heart!
Walk In Beauty
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2009
8:02 PM

Post #6719685

Hugs to you today Jules! I know he is looking in on your from time to time.
Sheila
angele

June 21, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #6720045

Hi Jules - thinking of you today,

I just did a plantfiles search for Lantana 'Dallas Red' because it is a new addition to my garden. Your Dad had posted a photo of it so that led me to his member page because I wanted to spend a little time with him by visiting some of his additions to Plantfiles (781 contributions!!), Bugfiles (46 contributions) and to take a look at his photos that have been featured at Bloom.com. It always touches my heart to see his photo on his member page with that Bluejay eating almonds from off his cap!

It is so wonderful to be able to keep your Dad's memory close by in this way. Say hello to your Mom for me please & let her know we are thinking of her too.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 22, 2009

Post #6721073

{{{Singing Wolf}}} I am forever grateful for the precious memories we have. Keeps our loved ones close in spirit and in the very heart of our own soul. I know this is your first Father's Day without your Dad. I pray that it was a day of wonderful memories that made you smile and your heart leap with joy! May peace be with you.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #6721211

I am thankful to Dave for keeping our photos at hand even those that our dear Trois took years ago. When he used to put the kalidascope (sp) photo identification game; I used to look through his plant file pictures for clues! He has so many good ones.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 22, 2009
1:16 PM

Post #6722280

Jules, hugs and prayers for your Dad's soul! Rest in peace, Trois!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2009
9:48 PM

Post #6724708

Thanks for sharing your feelings. Yesterday was really hard for me to cope with. I miss my Daddy. I always will. Thank you all for your continuing thoughts and prayers.
WIB,
SW

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

June 28, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #6749939

I cross-posted this on Trois' old "Action of the Pride of Barbados thread."

But, if you are interested:

This is the result of three of Trois' seeds that I started a year ago.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

June 28, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #6749953

One of the clusters.

If the gardener refrains from eating the seeds pods, there'll be plenty of them.

Be well

()

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 28, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6750119

LOL, I remember you saying he was doing that. I got seeds from Jules, but they never germinated for me. Figured I did something wrong, seeds are not my friend. Glad you had good luck with yours.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 28, 2009
7:35 PM

Post #6750128

Sheila my POB that I started from Troi's seeds is blooming, I will save seeds for you this year.
Josephine.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 28, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #6750365

Super Josephine! Let me know too how you got them to grow when you give them to me! I haven't given up on them yet, still watering it faithfully but I would think by now something would have appeared.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 28, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6750630

No problem, I will let you know when they are ready.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #6756810

Thanks for sharing flyboy, thanks for sharing frostweed. Dad would've been tickled to see how his beloved POB's are making the rounds. I'll post some photos of mine on the thread flyboy has been keeping going. : )
Sheila, gosh, I'm sorry those seeds didn't germinate, but flyboy knows how to get them started. Posted it here at DG somewhere. Hmmm.
WIB,
SW

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2009
3:23 AM

Post #6756830

Making the rounds indeed! How about it flyboy...got any tips??
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2009
3:47 AM

Post #6756951

Send her the link flyboy! LOL! : )
WIB!
SW

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

June 30, 2009
12:39 PM

Post #6757891

Slightly scrape off of a bit of the outer shell along an edge, with a razor blade -- then soak them in warm water overnight.

Press them into planting medium -- and stand back. Keep them moist.

Good luck.

d=_=b

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2009
12:51 PM

Post #6757926

Thanks I will try that with them this year. Not giving up, they are too pretty, and a remembrance of our friend.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

June 30, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6758366

A very much living remembrance !

Be well

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2009
6:45 PM

Post #6759479

I had members of a garden club come to tour my yard yesterday and of course the noticed the BOP right away.
The asked me what it was and if it is native to Texas, I told them not native to Texas, but I am keeping it in memory of a very special friend who gave me the seeds.
I will never forget how impressed I was with Trois' generosity and good humor the first time I met him.
The BOP flower with it's color, beauty and brightness represents Trois' spirit to me.
Josephine.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #6760427

Just like you couldn't miss the POB, you couldn't miss Trois and his camera at a RU either. He was always bending an ear with a story or talking plants with someone.
BTW...I was watering my plants today and what do you know...one of the POB seeds is popping it's seed up through the soil. I still want to get more but I am happy to have one for now.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #6760495

Aww, Sheila, it's just Dads way of sharing. Just when you least expect it. I'm so happy that one seed made it I could laugh and cry at the same time. Will compromise and do a ~Happy Dance~ for you instead. (BIG GRIN)
You sure described Dad well, he always did enjoy taking photos, and telling stories. Some tall tales, some true, but so weird you'd think he was pulling your leg. Gosh, I do miss his sense of humor. : )
Thank you all for being my Dad's friend, keeping your collective eye on me, and mostly keeping his memory alive. I really do appreciate it. : )
Frostweed, you do know that Dad used to live in Arlington, TX? Tiny place, crammed full of plants, birds, and people. Thanks for letting the Garden Club know that your POB was planted as a Memorial to a dear friend.
My heart is full of happiness that Dad's friends still remember him, and still care for him.
Flyboy thanks for the simplified instructions. I liked the one with the photos and the day to day descriptions of how your POB seeds were started. Good reading! : )
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

June 30, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6760601

I hope to have more seeds for you later this year -- IF the gardener believes me when i told him that they are poisonous.. He swears that he ate them all the time back home. Quién sabe

Be well

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2009
7:20 AM

Post #6775609

Dad, I just wanted to acknowledge that you are finally able to spend your Dad's Birthday with him again. : )
I know you always thought of him and missed him on his Birthday, it makes me happy to know you are together again.
Happy Birthday, Grandpa!
Happy Independence Day!
WIB!
SW

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 7, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6788945

SW, that is so sweet!
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2009
7:25 AM

Post #6833681

Dad,
You always made me laugh, especially about not remembering your own birthday. Hope you and Gpa enjoy this bday together. I'll never stop missing you and your sense of humor. Thanks for being uniquely you!
Love,
SW

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2009
1:05 PM

Post #6834069

Thinking of you on your Cake-Day Trois...hugs for you Jules!
Sheila_FW
angele

July 18, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6834343

A toast to Trois on his birthday. Not mine but it sure seems a good fit

No cake or candles here today
Or presents for you to open
Just love from friends who want to say
Happy Birthday, and that we're hoping
Somehow you can see and know
That we have not forgotten you
That we still remember, even though
You've departed from our view
And if you see us here below
And wonder why we care
It's just because we want to show
That a part of you is still here
You live within each memory's heart
And so you remain, though we're apart

/Kevin M Sorbello

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #6834645

Very beautiful and moving poem. Thanks for sharing it.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #6835434

Very Lovely Angele.
oriole
Mifflintown, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #6838085

Ditto, Angele Lovely poem.

Dixie

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 20, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #6842962

What a beautiful poem! So perfect for Trois memory!
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2009
3:31 AM

Post #6857899

Angele,
You are! Thanks for sharing the lovely poem! It is good to know that Dad isn't forgotten.
WIB,
SW
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #7025706

I wanted to share this poem with you. It's just been just over a year since you left us, Dad. I wanted you to know we still miss you, but we're going to be all right.

Navajo Prayer

In beauty may we dwell.
In beauty may we walk.
In beauty may our male kindred dwell.
In beauty may our female kindred dwell.
In beauty may it rain on us.
In beauty may our corn grow.
In beauty all around us may it rain.
In beauty may we walk.
The beauty is restored.

Hozho
(Hozho, means all that is good, favorable, desirable, beautiful, pleasant, peaceful and harmonious; it also refers to those qualities and conditions in which they exist, and our desire to attain that state .)

Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #7026668

Nice Jules! Thanks for sharing you poem and your Dad with us; we are all better for it.
I see you have a new lazer pretty. Fits here because it is "blu".
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2009

Post #7026902

: - )
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #7030003

My POB, with my LED, solar powered hummer. It's still small but growing. : - )
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

bookworm28
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2009
3:58 AM

Post #7030986

Thanks for sharing the beautiful Navaho prayer, SW. It is an inspiration. Hozho - I'm so glad you shared those words with us. God bless and I'm thinking of your dad today and have a smile on my face! Continue walking in beauty, SW.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 6, 2009
6:05 AM

Post #7031213

SW, that's such a beautiful poem for Trois' memory! I still miss him and grieve after is death. I know how much you miss your Dad and I'm sure he is so proud of you, especially for continuing his work here on DG. I'm thinking of you and sending you warm hugs. Here's something blue for his memory.
Hugs.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

angele

September 6, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #7031957

Jules my POB are close to the same size. :-) No flowers yet this year & I doubt there will be be I'm still hoping.
Heehee, I thought your hummer was a real one and that the flash had gone off.
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

September 26, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #7104893

My Pride of Barbados are just about to bloom!

Thumbnail by gardenpom

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #7116466

I am so happy for you! : - )
Mine is still putting on green growth, but no flowers yet. : - (
Miss my Dad every day still, know that our family and his friends do too!
Thanks for the update gardenpom, it makes me feel just a little bit closer to Dad, knowing that one of his babies is going to flower! : - )
Take lots of photos!
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

September 29, 2009
11:24 PM

Post #7117789

Here are the first two flowers, opened this morning...they are so pretty!

Thumbnail by gardenpom

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 30, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #7119851

So beautiful! It's nice to see Trois is living through the plants he shared.
Hugs,
Adina
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

September 30, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #7120154

It must bring you such comfort to know he touched the lives of so many people...and that those people remember him kindly.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #7120198

Happy Birthday gardenpom, from Dad and from me. It does comfort me.
I think he'd be tickled to know that it is blooming on your Bday. What a nice present! Enjoy!
Thanks for the photos!
WIB!
SW

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 2, 2009
8:52 AM

Post #7126039

Happy Belated Birthday, Gardenpom!
I just found this picture Trois posted on August 14 last year.
Adina

This message was edited Oct 2, 2009 4:52 AM

Thumbnail by adinamiti

gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

October 2, 2009
10:13 AM

Post #7126085

I'm glad to know butterflies may be visiting these lovely flowers, thanks.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #7128225

Sweet Adina!
I didn't see that one so it's a treat for me too!
Gardenpom, Dad was always telling me that the POB's were butterfly magnets. : - )
WIB,
SW

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 3, 2009
6:02 AM

Post #7129613

SW, I'm glad this was a surprise for you! It was for me too! But it's always such a treat to see Trois' pictures.
Hugs,
Adina
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #7131513

Still feel him watching over me. : - )
Will never be able to look at a Gecko, or a Blue Jay, or a Pride of Barbados without thinking of him. : - )
WIB,
SW

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 5, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #7137467

I think neither of us will!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

October 28, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #7217759

Just returned from the frozen tundra -- and, lo and behold -- Trois was saying hello.

This started as three seeds.

Be well, all

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

October 28, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #7217785

Now -- for a volunteer.

All those green (and some already deep brown) narrow things hanging from the branches are seed pods. I've gathered a bunch of them, already, and will have almost a zillion by the time the shrubs go dormant this winter.

I'll gladly mail them all to anyone who'll volunteer to spread them around to anyone who wants some.

(^=^)

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2009
5:32 AM

Post #7219435

I would love to be able to spread some to the folks in N TX fly. I am in the addy section or I can dmail you the info.

My seeds I planted earlier this year, didn't make it this year too much rain for too long I think. Frostweed is giving me a plant though. I saw a few plants out in the country a month or so ago, just blooming their heads off, and I thought of Trois of course! :o)
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #7220751

Good going flyboy, and good to hear from you! I am sending a photo of my POB. It is finally grown back to the size it was when I planted it. (Before my Spirit Dog decided to eat it almost down to the ground). I am hoping to get some blooms next year. Now that I know that it can take an occasional freeze and still come back, I'll be starting some more POB this year.
I'm sure Dad would be smiling to know that his beloved POB are still being shared around in his name.
Thank you everyone!
WIB!
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

October 29, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #7221481

Sheila_FW:

Good luck -- they're all on their way.

Spread them around.

Be well

(o_O)

This message was edited Oct 29, 2009 6:03 PM
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

October 30, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #7221974

flyboy, the POB seeds you sent me have grown and are blooming and setting seeds...which I will also be sharing.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #7222576

Beautiful shot Gardenpom!
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

October 30, 2009
11:26 AM

Post #7223153

Thank you, Sheila.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #7223432

Thanks fly, I will give them to people who knew Trois that attend our spring RU in Arlington first.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #7224651

Gardenpom,
I know my Dad would be so tickled to see your POB! It's beautiful! Thank you for sharing your photo and spreading those POB seeds around.
Flyboy, and Sheila, I couldn't think of anything that would please my Dad more. Thank you both for making it happen.
A quick note for those who've been wondering how Dad's beautiful DW is doing. Barbara is now living with my sis the nurse. Her Macular Degeneration has blinded her in one eye and she doesn't see very clearly out of the other. She is however, able to draw again, but only with pencil. No colors, since she can't see them clearly. In her last email she seemed to be making the adjustment and was happy with the living arrangements. Sis and Bil are gentle, loving people. They will take care of her and be good to her.
Barbara still misses Dad a lot, but it isn't as hard for her as it was a year ago. I really admire her for her beauty of Spirit, her grace, and dignity. Not to mention for putting up with all of us kids.
Photo of my baby POB. Finally back to the size it was when I planted it. It hasn't bloomed this year, spent most of the time putting on new growth since my pup thought it was a chew toy and munched it back almost to the ground. (That's why the metal Christmas tree is there I had to cover the POB with it)
WIB!
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #7226919

Thanks for the update SW, and Send Barbara a hug from her DG friends please.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 3, 2009
8:31 AM

Post #7236422

Jules,
Great news about Barbara and the POB!
Hugs,
Adina
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #7237898

Will do! I am so happy that Barbara is doing better. I was worried about her for awhile. My Sis has been great about helping her out. I'll let them both know you're still thinking of them and give them your good wishes.
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #7414366

Dad,
DH says that there is a strange blue bird hanging around here lately. I've seen it too. You wouldn't know anything about that, would you? : - )
Still missing you, but thanks to the many kind people here at DG, and the support from family and friends, it hasn't been as bad as it could have been. Thanks all!
You were right Dad. It's a new year and it's time to get moving, keep growing.
Always in my Heart!
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2010
12:37 AM

Post #7414655

OOOhhh, would it not be cool to snap a picture for the New Year!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 1, 2010

Post #7414712

Always in my heart too! Did you take a picture? It's a hard decision, but I'm glad you took it. I'm proud of you, Jules!
Happy New Years everyone!
Hugs,
Adina
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2010

Post #7414900

The bird is proving illusive to photograph. I've seen it, and taken really blurry photos of it. Will keep on trying to locate his feeding and nesting grounds, so I can get a decent photo.
I think my Dad would get a kick out of the full moon tonight, being a Blue Moon. Hasn't happened since the 70's on New Year's Eve Night. : - )
Which reminds me that his job for NASA in the 60's, involved tracking the orbit of the moon. Life is full of irony and humor.
I feel his loving presence all around me.
Happy New Year to All!
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 1, 2010
2:00 AM

Post #7415006

Jules, I've seen the moon tonight but it wasn't blue...or I couldn't see it too well because of the champagne?LOL
I remember how thrilled I was when I found out Trois had been working at NASA...since I am a sci fi fan and so interested in planets!
Hugs,
Adina
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2010
2:23 AM

Post #7415067

Adina,
A Blue Moon is what they call it when there are two full moons in one calendar month. It doesn't really turn blue. It might be an American term for the phenomenon.
I too was very proud of Dad's work for NASA. Without his help, the astronauts might have missed the moon. LOL!
He enjoyed his time working for NASA for the most part. I admit he has always encouraged my interest in both astronomy and astroarcheology. I have a feeling he always will.
I used to tell my ES, that I hoped he'd grow up to be the first Beekeeper on the Moon.
Science Fiction from 40 - 50 years ago is Science Fact today. Who knows what the future will bring!
Good things I hope!
Hope that cleared up the Blue Moon thing for you! Dad's still laughing, but with you! : - )
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 1, 2010
4:41 PM

Post #7416539

Happy New Year

and

Be well

(o_O)

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 1, 2010
10:12 PM

Post #7417588

Jules, thanks for the clearing! I just googled blue moon and they say sometimes the moon really appeared blue after a volcano eruption. I took a picture last night and here it is!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2010
3:25 PM

Post #7422856

Looks like the same moon we saw in the States! LOL!

Guess I had forgotten Trois used to work at NASA, no wonder he took you out at night to look at the sky Jules.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2010
3:22 AM

Post #7429154

Dad would carry us kids along with his enthusiasms. Probably why we all loved the same books, and subjects.
Since my corner of the world was a little cloudy the moon looked a bit different here, but it looked good! Nice photo adina.
I suppose that the gases from a volcanic explosion could cause a blue tinge to the moon, but that would be even rarer for it it to happen on the second full moon in a calendar month, on the Eve of 2010. ; - )
Had a great time on New Year's Eve. Hope everyone else did too!
Forgot how heavenly that Blue Angel's Glove Orchid smells.
Still after that Blue Bird with the camera. He's faster than I am. : - )
Will share when I get a decent photo!
WIB,
SW
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2010
2:56 AM

Post #7474959

I finally got some photos of that blue bird. I don't know what kind it is yet. I wanted to share these photos with Dad's friends before I went and asked for an ID from the Bird Watching Forum.
These were taken on January 10th, when I wasn't able to log on to DG.
! of a series of 6.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2010
2:58 AM

Post #7474965

My friend and I watched it glide down from the fence.
2 of 6

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2010

Post #7474971

A nice profile. I wonder what it is looking for.
3 of 6

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2010

Post #7474972

Try a Western Scrub-jay to start your search.

Ric
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2010
3:00 AM

Post #7474974

And another.
4 of 6.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2010
3:03 AM

Post #7474982

Thanks ric, I'll start there.
Would be just like Dad to send me a blue jay that doesn't normally live here. : - )
I hope it found a tasty worm.
5 of 6.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2010
3:06 AM

Post #7474991

It flew off right after I took this photo. Something on the other side of the fence scared it, I think.
I do hope you enjoyed the visit from the blue bird as much as I did. It really made my day. : - )
6 of 6
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #7475398

Such a colorful looking bird. Just like Trois to send a blue bird to bring a smile to our faces. I looked up W Scrub Jay and sure looks like your pics. Someone said it likes acorns, boy I could use a bird like that around here!
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2010
5:49 PM

Post #7476427

Henry 10 and Sheila, you are both right.
I wasn't sure as we only have Stellar (sp?) Jays out here. So I also posted his photo on the Bird Watching Forum, and they gave me the same answer. He must be really hungry. With the drought and all, there haven't been many acorns on our mature oaks this year.
I'd never seen a W. Scrub Jay here before. I sure hope he sticks around and brings some friends.
Now, I can add him to my list of birds.
Thanks Dad, I'm pretty sure you had a hand in this. : - )
Thanks everyone for your continued support and help.
WIB,
SW
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 20, 2010
2:39 AM

Post #7477913

That's really neat SW! I wonder if your Scrub Jay would like peanuts. I have both bluejays and scrub jays here and they love raw peanuts in the shell. :-) Can you leave some out for him in a bird feeder?
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2010
3:07 AM

Post #7477986

What a great idea, beckygardener! I'll try it, and report back on the results. Kind of spooky (in a good way) though, because you said just what my Dad would have said. Maybe I'll learn 'em to sit on my hat. LOL! Dad is smiling where ever he is.
Bless you!
Walk In Beauty!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 20, 2010
3:10 AM

Post #7477997

Do keep us posted on your special bird. No doubt Heaven sent from your dad! :-)
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2010
3:36 AM

Post #7478086

Will do!
WIB,
SW
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 20, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #7479284

How wonderful that you have a special visitor SW. I would try some dried corn and sunflower seeds too.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #7479430

Thanks for the advice, dahlianut.
Okay, but where do I get the peanuts? I'd ask Dad, but he isn't saying. LOL!
I already have the cracked corn and niger sunflower birdseed, and I'll try to find some kind of feeder tray for them. I'm getting excited with this project.
I'll be keeping you all posted.
WIB!
SW
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 20, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #7479509

I buy my peanuts at Walmart in the produce department. They are usually on a rack near the lettuce and tomatoes. Sunflower seeds are good too. But they really like the peanuts! Most grocery stores sell them in bags in as either - raw, salted, or roasted. You want to get "raw".
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
2:44 AM

Post #7484216

Thanks beckygardener.
I know my Dad is LOL right now. I'll be making a trip near Wallyworld soon, and get a good feeder too. But first I have some cleaning up to do from the flash flood today.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1070587/
I'll be sure to get the raw peanuts. The jay may have come up to raid the sunflowers up by the house.
I'll keep you posted.
WIB!
SW

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 8, 2010
1:57 AM

Post #7540103

My first Pride of Barbados flower burst forth yesterday. Trois' legacy continues in many ways.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7542086

Margaret,
I am thrilled for you. It's beautiful, and you've done such a great job growing those POB from seed. The timing was superb.
Maybe, this was my Dad's way of wishing his GS (my YS's) Birthday yesterday.
Just lovely to see his beloved POB's, thriving in Austalia.
Thanks for making my day, Margaret!
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2010
7:30 PM

Post #7542232

Nice!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #7544437

Jules,
great pics of the blue bird! Happy Birthday for your YS!
Wonderful POB, Margaret!
Adina
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #7736219

I have now met Trois' wonderful Daughter...what a great person she is...and I love her ranch...and Johnathan...thanks for the delightful fudge! Jo

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #7737293

Oh Jo, I am so jealous! I would love to me Jules in person. I know you take your camera along, please if you post pictures put the link here.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 26, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7738007

Sheila, they posted some of the pics on the CA forum.
Jo, I saw you in the pictures . Glad you had such a wonderful time at Jules' ranch!

Adina
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #7738800

Dad and Friends,
Well, I'm thrilled to have met Jo, she is really special, and lordy, is she a barrel of fun. We were all pleased to meet with Michael the new DG Admin. He and his family were a pleasure to meet. I enjoyed meeting everyone and will be posting photos of the RU, and will post the link here when I do.

Point of order. We are a farm. We grow things like Monterrey Pine Christmas Trees, Bees, and kids. A ranch grows animals, like cattle or horses and maybe even chickens, (Okay, my kids probably count as animals, LOL). I do have chickens, but the eggs my family doesn't use, I generally give to our Community Cupboard. They help feed the hungry in our Community and Social Security doesn't stretch as far as it used to.
Where I came from in OK, no self respecting farm was without chickens. Sometimes turkeys too. No, we only eat the eggs.

My Dad told me once that when he was three years old, his folks gave him a stick and sent him out to guard the turkeys from the coyotes. (Coyotes were a lot more wary of people back then.) I always thought that was strange, but not for dirt poor farmers right after the dustbowl and the depression. Kids were put to work early, and they all helped out.

Just thought that I should clear that up about the Ranch/Farm thing. Out here people ask how many acres you own. In Ranch country they ask how many sections you own. They'd laugh at our small farm if we called it a Ranch. : - )

As always, Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #7740322

I had a great time...and I love the pool...covered and doubles as a green house!!

Trois...Ya did good on DD! Jo
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #7740574

Dad did his best for all of us, Jo. He taught us a lot, and gave us good genes too!
Here is a photo of our RU Queen Jo, as she arrived. I'm posting it on the RU thread too. : - )
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2010
11:00 AM

Post #7745502

Here is the link to their photos of the event...just so others can take a peep like me.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1090664/
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2010
9:11 PM

Post #7747243

Sheila,
Thanks for providing the link. I've been kind of tired these last few days, and it completely slipped my mind. Thanks dear friend for posting the RU link for me.
I really appreciate the way that all of Dad's friends have looked out for me, given me guidance, and support. Dad made a lot of good friends here, thanks to all of you who've taken me under your wings. : - )
WIB!
SW

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #7747761

I bet you over did it with the event ...it always takes a told on me.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #7749122

Yep, that's what it was sort of. I didn't pace myself as well as I should have. I should have spent less time standing and more time sitting. It was worth every bit of it though. : - )
Even better, DH brought up the subject of hosting another RU! No arm twisting involved. LOL!
I'm still moving slow, but that's because of the weather. It's only 61 degrees outside right now, and very windy. Brrrrrr!
I still have to go out in and pick up YS from school. Got to run (in my dreams!).
Thanks again Sheila! : - )
WIB,
SW

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 30, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7752153

Jules, I think we have to thank Trois that he has left you for us!LOL That's a surprise you DH wanting to host another RU!

Adina

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #7898836

Not ever knowing my earthly father, the Father's Day has no meaning for me. But just want to remember Jules gets closer to the occassion to remember her dad. (((Hugs!)))
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7901104

How well you know me, my friend, Sheila.
I've been thinking about it all week. I don't believe that I will ever stop missing my Dad..
This year I wanted to remember all the good things that he taught me. There are too many to list all of them, but I thought I'd share some things that I learned from my Dad.

I learned that the stars are our future, from Dad as a toddler.
I learned that when the tides of fortune are about to sweep you away, Dad will be there to rescue you.
Dad taught me to Laugh, Loud, Hearty, and Often, since life is silly sometimes.
Dad taught me that the Chocolate Eclairs you eat on the sly are sweeter. : - )
I learned to never give up hope, to always look for the bright side, from Dad.
I've learned to laugh at myself and my frailties from my Dad. He laughed his off.
I learned how to take, develop, enlarge and print photos, old school from Dad.
I learned a wicked backhand from Dad, and to use your opponents weaknesses against them while playing ping pong with him. Never lost another game to my YB#1 after that. LOL!
I learned that when I went for a walk in the woods with Dad, to carry a stick in front of me so I didn't get covered with spider webs, or better yet, to talk my brother into leading the way! :- )
I learned to observe the world around me, how to be still, from Dad.
I learned how to build people up instead of tearing them down, from Dad.
I learned to love story telling from Dad.
I learned to learn from reading a book or manual and then putting into practice what I'd read, from Dad. He was a self-taught electrical engineer, and if he could do it, so could I.
I learned that lights and music can be programmed so that each note causes a certain color to light up. That was really cool back in the mid 1970's
I learned to think outside the box from my Dad.
I learned that power tools are fun to play with, from Dad.
I learned to listen, really listen, to those I love, from Dad.
I've learned the best way to motivate the boys to mow the lawn is to get a riding lawn mower. Thanks Dad, problem is DH likes it too. LOL!
I learned that loving your children means letting them grow and make their own mistakes, from Dad.
I learned unconditional love from my Dad.
I've also learned that love never dies.
I believe that my Dad is still watching over me, helping us all to deal with and heal from his death.
So for all of those who are Dad's Thanks for being there for your kids. For everyone with a Dad still living, give them a hug from me and Wish them a Happy Father's Day, too.
Happy Fathers Day To Everyone!
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #7901223

Sweet SingingWolf!
Trois taught you well...and you learned...

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #7901238

I have a Pride of Barbados blooming right now, from your Dad.
Josephine.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2010
7:30 AM

Post #7902319

I was just over at Josephine's house, though I didn't voice it, I thought of Trois as I touched the beautiful blooms. I think I may have some bloom later this year!
Beautiful words Jules...beautiful relationship you had with him.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2010
10:39 AM

Post #7942671

Dad,
I hope you and Grandpa had a good view of the Fireworks last night at the Pow Wow.
I enjoyed them and thought about you.
Here is a a photo my DH took of the Fireworks. I was too busy, oohing and aahing! LOL!
Happy Birthday, Grandpa! Glad you can spend it with him Dad. : - )
Happy Independence Day everyone! : - )
Enjoy!
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 17, 2010

Post #7974675

Jules, what a great picture! Nice reminder of your grandpa's birthday! Soon to be your Dad's!
Hugs,
Adina
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #7979081

Today is my Dad's Birthday. (Yesterday was DH's, and tomorrow would be Dad and Barbara's Anniversary).
Hope you're having a Happy One, Dad. Am sending you a photo of your Beloved Pride of Barbados (aka Red Bird of Pardise). : - )
It's brought me a lot of joy, not mention new friends. Thanks Daddy. : - )
I'll always love you.
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

edited because for some reason the last few lines were cut off.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2010 4:41 PM

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #7979137

~~~~~~~iiiiiii
Happy _[___]_ Day to you too Trois!!!

Jules...I was gifted a bunch of seeds from Flyboy and forgot all about them due to moving stuff about to panel the shop. I will share them at the October swap. But Josephine (Frostweed) gave me a growing POB this year that was from the Trois seeds. It hasn't bloomed yet, but is loving where it is because it has put on a lot of growth. Can't wait for it to bloom for me.
Sheila_FW
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #7979208

Mine put on a seed pod. Now all I have to do is keep the gardener from eating them. LOL!
That is great news that you will be sharing them at the Oct. Swap. Dad loved sharing them POB's, and I'm sure he be really happy that they are spreading. : - )
That's awfully sweet of Frostweed to give you a started plant.: - )
Flyboy, has been so generous, and kind. He's a real gentleman. : - )
How is your POB doing these days?
WIB!
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2010
8:35 PM

Post #7989678

I was going through my photo archives today,and I discovered this photo of one of Dad's POB plants, with a B.fly on it. I remember taking the photos, but didn't see the B.fly til today. This shows that his POB do indeed attract B.flies. : - )
The photo was taken a couple of days after Dad passed, in 2008.
I hope that you enjoy the photo, and even more you continue to share those POB seeds.
Thank You!
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 23, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #7990451

Jules, isn't that so beautiful! We miss you, Trois!
Something blue for your Dad!

Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2010
12:18 PM

Post #7991219

Nice Jules! I am looking forward to seeing them.

Adina...Lovely pic of two things that do not like my soil or me. I have killed or gave up and given away several of both hydrangeas and azaleas!
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2010
8:25 PM

Post #8001271

I don't know if I mentioned it, but I was very sad this year when the POB, I'd planted before Dad passed away, didn't survive. : - (
So I went out and bought two more, having run out of seeds to start them, and being too impatient to wait for my sib to send me some more.
Just got back from a week away from home, and this wasn't there when I left.
It was a very happy surprise. : - )
Evidently, when I watered the new POB in, it caused the dead one to send up new shoots from below. It was a surprise and a Blessing, and the first thing I saw when I got home. : - )
Dad are you always going to keep yanking my chain? : - ) LOL! : - )
You really fooled me this time. : - )
It's all right, I like nice surprises. ; - )
Keep 'em coming. : - )
~WIB~
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2010
8:38 PM

Post #8001308

That is so sweet! Got to be a blessing from him. It looks like it is a good bushy one too.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 1, 2010
11:31 PM

Post #8012488

Jules,what a lovely surprise! Glad it survived!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 2, 2010
12:36 PM

Post #8013613

:-) A message from Dad, perhaps! :-)
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #8019383

It would be just like him. He so loved his "jokes". : - )
This is one I don't mind though. : - )
Sheila, both of them are nice and bushy. You know how Dad was always wanting to spread them, POB around.
I saw three of them today in Sun City, and one was at least 10 feet tall and a good 8 foot in diameter. So Beautiful! Last year there were only two bushes, but the across the street neighbor must like them too. She has one this year too. : - )
I hear that there is a yellow Mexican Bird of Paradise (what they call Pride of Barbados out here? for some strange reason?) I haven't tried the yellow one yet, I like the kind Dad grew a lot.
The 2nd POB, I bought, I planted out back, and it is growing like a weed. It's very happy, because it gets so much sun there.. : - )
Will send photos if I can remember to take them. : - )
WIB,
SW

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2010
10:11 PM

Post #8019506

Well looks like Trois saw it or grew it...LOL! He had so many pictures out on PFs.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/131942/

Look for your photos of your blooms.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #8026260

Hope you had a happy birthday yesterday Jules and did something just for yourself!!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #8037152

My first Trois stock POB bloom!!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2010
6:26 AM

Post #8037200

Alright Sheila!!! very beautiful. Mine has been blooming all summer too.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2010
8:35 PM

Post #8048720

There is nothing quite like getting your first POB bloom! Good on you, Sheila! I know my Dad is smiling. : - )
Glad to hear yours has been blooming all summer, frostweed. : - )
Keep on Blooming! : - )
WIB!
SW

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

August 22, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #8055368

Here are the results of my three seeds today.

They are higher than six feet tall (and I cut them way back, each winter.)

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2010
10:48 AM

Post #8055429

Looks like they are loving where you have them..Trois is beaming!

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #8055964

Dad would be so happy to see how well they've grown for you flyboy.
Even if Dad isn't grinning, Sheila, well, I am. : - )
Thanks for sending the photo, and keeping us posted.
Walk In Beauty!
SW

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 11, 2010
9:12 AM

Post #8092862

These three original seeds are going to inundate us.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

sunnytx
Ligonier, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #8092868

I can't believe this! I hadn't heard from in in a while but I had just thought that he was busy as I was. I am really going to miss him. He has come to our yard a few times with camera in hand.

My deepest sympathies to your family

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 11, 2010
11:12 PM

Post #8094119

So beautiful, Flyboy!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 12, 2010
8:30 AM

Post #8094521

Does anyone want seeds?

I'll have quite many of them when they dry out.

Be well

(o_O)
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2010
12:38 PM

Post #8096942

sunnytx,
It's been just over two years since Dad died. I miss him every day, and I always will. Thank you so much for your condolences. They mean a lot to me, and our family.
Having Dad's posts and threads to look at has really helped me to come to terms with his passing. It's made it easier too, by knowing he left a good part of himself here at DG. : - )
Not to mention all the wonderful friends he made here, who've taken me under their collective wings and helped me out when I needed it. They know who they are, and I thank and Bless each and everyone of them. : - )
flyboy, it's so good to hear from you! I guess you finally trained your gardener to quit eating your seed pods? I've only had one seed pod this year, and I do still get requests for POB seeds. So if you want, I'll send you and SASE for seed. : - )
Just let me know, flyboy.
Goodness, gracious, your POB just exploded with growth! WoW! Great photo, I know my Dad is grinning! : - D
Hopefully, when mine get as well established they'll look as good as yours do, flyboy! Well done! : - )
I want to thank all of you again for generously sharing your seeds, and helping Dad's dream come true. He really loved the POB's and wanted to spread them all over the world. You all are helping make that happen. : - )
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

September 13, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #8097149

SW~

Just your address d-mailed to me will do.

It'll be a while until they are ready -- but you own them. Promise.

Be well

(o_O)

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #8097841

Fly and Jules...We have our RU coming up the 10th of Oct and I will have all the seeds that were sent to me by Fly, (saving a few for myself) packaged to share with everyone there.

This message was edited Sep 14, 2010 11:38 AM
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #8097884

Thanks Sheila! : - )
So all of you Texans, start your requests now, so Sheila can put your name on the pkg. : - )
You are the best, Sheila! Thanks for helping me out! : - )
There is nothing that Dad would have liked better, than knowing his friends and family were sharing a bush he loved so much. Sheila, and flyboy, it means so much to me knowing that you and others are quietly sharing the POB seeds that Dad loved.
He's smiling, I'm sure of it. : - )
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #8150634

I've been looking for this poem for the longest time. If anyone knows who the author is, please let me know who wrote it. It was posted on another thread, author unknown. This is how I remember Dad. Come to think of it, it's how I want to be remembered too. : - )
Been just over two years now, and sometimes I miss Dad, like it was just yesterday. I am so glad I found this posted on another thread. : - )

"Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die."

Hozho!
Walk In Beauty~
SingingWolf

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

October 11, 2010
1:09 PM

Post #8150705

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_not_stand_at_my_grave_and_weep

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #8150935

Interesting note from that link above.
"Do not stand at my grave and weep is a poem written in 1932 by Mary Elizabeth Frye. Although the origin of the poem was disputed until later in her life, Mary Frye's authorship was confirmed in 1998 after research by Abigail Van Buren, a newspaper columnist." (Better known as Dear Abby!)
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 11, 2010
9:46 PM

Post #8151534

I really like that poem too! Beautifully penned!

Neat information about the author! Thanks for sharing that poem here on this thread, Singing Wolf! It does sound like a poem your dad would like!
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2010
10:01 PM

Post #8151551

Dad is with me every day, and I'm glad to know who really did write the poem. Thanks flyboy, and Sheila. Dad was very much on my mind today. He's still teaching me things.
See photo.
They must be migrating, got this fellow sunning itself on the Honeysuckle vines. : - )
Tomorrow I'm going to treat myself to a b.fly safari. LOL. I saw a bunch of them on the blue (looks purple to me), lantana, but the sun has to shine directly on it or they leave. ?
Dad must be telling me to not take life so seriously.
Thanks friends!
WIB!
SW

P.S. Our friend Sheila from Fort Worth, tells me this is a Painted Lady B.fly. Creator is wonderful and so are people like Sheila! : - )
WIB,
SW

This message was edited Oct 12, 2010 9:20 AM

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2010
11:13 AM

Post #8154152

Lepfarmer, wrote to me on the B.fly forum and was kind enough to help me with the correct ID on the B.Fly above. Thanks lepfarmer! : - )
Dad is laughing wherever he is! : - )
The correct name of the B.fly above is, West Coast Lady (Vanessa annabella). Sounds like my Dad and one of his jokes. : - )
Well Dad, now I got to go find something else to stick in my bucket. : - )
I finally captured a photo of the illusive Buckeye Blue B.Fly. Depending on the position of the wings, it may appear bluer. A kind of Periwinkle blue shade.
Since we had the rain last week, it revived the buckwheat which started blooming again. The BWB B.fly is certainly taking advantage of it! : - )
Enjoy!
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

This message was edited Oct 22, 2010 8:22 PM

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 22, 2010

Post #8168940

Jules, those are so beautiful!
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2010
9:27 PM

Post #8170639

Thanks Adina,
I guess it's common name is BWB, but it's got a scientific name too. : - )
Saw this beauty today after it finally stopped raining.
It's kind of blurry 'cause I swear s/he was dancing on that rock.
No rainbows today, but B.flys are just as good. : - )
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2010
10:55 AM

Post #8171382

Another West Coast Lady (Vanessa annabella), now that I know the difference. LOL!

This thread is pulling up slow for even DSL...I doubt I will try to access it much anymore. I know how to find you though!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 23, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #8171484

Yes! It has over 440 posts and very slow loading. Perhaps a new thread can be started? I do enjoy the photos and poems!

Beautiful butterfly photos, Jules! :-)

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

October 28, 2010
12:04 PM

Post #8181516

Jules:

The Pride of Barbados seed pods are starting to fill the bowl. And some have even started popping.

Be patient -- I want to gather every last one before I forward them to you.

Be well

(o_O)

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2010
1:19 PM

Post #8181600

My little tree bloomed but didn't make seed pods this year. I save myself some back from those you sent Fly. The rest I shared with others at the Arlington RU. Trois is smiling!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

October 28, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #8181880

I promised this year's output to Jules -- but if you will spread them around I'll divide them and mail some to you.

Be well

(o_O),
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #8187029

Share them with Sheila, please, Flyboy. I'm patient and our spring RU is months away.
I don't know if I can start another Page for Dad's Memory thread, but I'll ask admin.
Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts. : - )
Walk In Beauty,
SingingWolf

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #8187454

He did Jules...from last year's seeds!
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

November 4, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #8194154

Thankful that Trois was a part of my life. I never got to meet him in person but still feel like he was a very good friend.
He's got such a wonderful daughter too.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 8, 2010
12:33 AM

Post #8200386

My sentiments exactly!

Adina
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

November 8, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #8200823

;-)
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2010
10:09 AM

Post #8204804

My friends and family, this thread has gotten so long that it's time to move on.
Our Dial up friends are having a hard time accessing this thread.
After talking to DG Admin, and some of Dad's friends, I've started a new thread, so every one who wants to keep in touch and share their memories, stories, and thoughts about Dad, or his beloved Pride of Barbados can still do so, on the Parking Lot Forum.
The new thread is called, Walk In Beauty A Tribute to Trois. Here is the link:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1140179/
After I finish posting this, the Memory Thread here will be closed, and you will not be able to post on this thread. It's a hard step for me to take, but it's time.
So come on over to the Parking Lot and we'll continue to share there. It will be fun! : - )
To all of you, you have my thanks for all the continued support and comfort you've given to me and my family.
May we all,
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Memory Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
(JCF) Janet Flowers MistyMeadows 29 Jul 21, 2011 5:33 AM
( DaleP6) Dale Patricia Six Joan 5 Sep 26, 2007 6:42 PM
(Tink76627) Peggie Glover Joan 15 Jun 17, 2009 2:25 PM
(Glory) Gloria Jean Breal Lessner Joan 14 Jan 23, 2010 5:26 AM
(lmelling) Lynne Mellinger Joan 163 Feb 21, 2010 5:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America