Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Watering Palms: Watering Pindo, Windmill & Washingtonia

Communities > Forums > Article: Watering Palms
bookmark
Forum: Article: Watering PalmsReplies: 1, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
disney4
Midville, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2008
1:32 AM

Post #5496401

I loved your article about watering Palms. I am new to Pindo, Windmill and Washingtonia that we planted as of this current summer. I watch my newly planted palms like a hawk. When the summer heat reached in the 90's & up I started watering by garden hose very heavily around the bottom trunks of these palms. I have well water where I live in south central Georgia with lots of heat & humidity. We have heavily mulched around the palms with underlying landscape fiber to control weeds. The palms are planted around my pool in very black well drained soil that is the result from years and years of decomposing leaves and such from 100 year old pecan trees. The palms are showing much new growth and look very perky. On the hot dry days I do allow the hose to wash the trucks letting the water flow down the sides as giving the plants a cooling shower. I do not do this regularly but sparingly. The Windmill palms seem to really love this type of watering. Please let me know if I am doing the watering correctly. I do not plan on watering the palms this winter.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2008
5:50 AM

Post #5497314

I have not grown palms in a humid climate so don't know the risks of trunk rot there. Hope they will do well with the hosing down of the trunks... but I see no reason why that would be good for them. You might be inviting a problem with that technique.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Watering Palms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
recommendations? carrielamont 4 Sep 1, 2008 8:26 AM
I never thought about watering a palm CoreHHI 0 Sep 1, 2008 3:54 AM
Palms in Greece lindosvilla 0 Sep 1, 2008 9:56 AM
watering palms santarem 1 Sep 1, 2008 3:59 PM
Wow bowhows 0 Sep 1, 2008 2:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America