Photo by Melody

Article: Sunflowers as sentinels: I Salute Your Solution!

Communities > Forums > Article: Sunflowers as sentinels
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sunflowers as sentinelsReplies: 5, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wandygirl
Brookfield, CT

September 2, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #5498104

I can empathize with you. We have rowdy neighbors too. Nice enough people, we're just different. Our kids don't exactly get along, either. The sunflowers are a lovely, civilized way of saying "good fences make good neighbors." Too few people in this world really understand the wisdom of that trite, but true statement. So much better than a cold standoff, or worse, outright hostility. After all, we have to live next to these people, right? I salute you and your sunflowers.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2008
5:18 PM

Post #5498813

Ha -- we've already gone through cold standoffs & outright hostility. And it's not even my neighbor who's the problem! She's a solvent homeowner, after all. It's the disrespectful loser crowd that comes to mooch off her food & booze & boat that sets off the fireworks & steals my vegetables & races around on motorcycles.

Unfortunately, my neighbor ended up in the hospital recently, diagnosed with cirrhosis & emphysema, so she is totally on the wagon right now because she wants to live. And apparently she's not so much fun now for the partiers & things have quieted down quite a bit.
wandygirl
Brookfield, CT

September 2, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #5500101

Normally I'd say I hope she gets better, but under the circumstances...
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2008
11:37 PM

Post #5500227

And the best plus for me: I really like her new sober personality!
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

August 12, 2011
7:13 AM

Post #8751895

Sunflowers are very useful as screens and as an attraction for birds and other critters. They will be a beautiful solution to your problem.
Thanks for the article.
Caroline
ellieblue
Colchester, VT

August 15, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8757316

We were lucky that the former owners of our house had planted white cedar around the border of our land. Now the field behind us is being developed, so the cedar trees (now about 30' tall) form an excellent privacy hedge..

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sunflowers as sentinels Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love Sunflowers! Herkimer_flower 1 Sep 1, 2008 7:16 PM
Beautiful Sunflowers rosewood513 8 Sep 8, 2008 4:53 PM
How encouraging! gloriag 3 Sep 2, 2008 2:48 AM
Well written, fun, informative epan 3 Jun 22, 2013 8:05 PM
What's not to love bjspeachyn5 2 Sep 2, 2008 12:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America