-
AuthorContent
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2008
8:25 PM

Post #5499517

Well, here's a new one on me. I received an e-mail from the Center for Food Safety regarding nanotechnology and it's use in food and food packaging.

Just thought I'd post this and see what folks had to say. I'm including a link that was given. It's rather long, but I wanted to include some info in case there were others like me to whom this is new territory.

http://www.foe.org/pdf/nano_food.pdf

Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

September 2, 2008
8:34 PM

Post #5499541

A little long - 3.6MB.
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2008
8:47 PM

Post #5499598

Well, l wasn't asking for comments on the link, but comments on the concept.
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #5499602

Please feel free to link to something shorter, if you are aware of one. I wouldn't mind a shorter article myself.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

September 2, 2008
9:00 PM

Post #5499640

Some of the concepts I like; some, I'm not sure about. Sort of like homoganized milk - we try to avoid it due to the size of the resulting particles. Raw skim and pure cream, please.

I'll continue growing what I can, even if I share a lot with the "critters" due to using NO pesticides.
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #5500398

Well, I'm still trying to digest that long article, but my gut reaction agrees with you - I'll grow what I can, and since that is limited, I'll buy locally from farmers I know and whose operations I can observe.

I don't know... this stuff scares me
Quoting:The
application of nanotechnology to
biotechnology (‘nanobiotechnology’)
is predicted not only to manipulate the
genetic material of humans, animals and
agricultural plants, but also to incorporate
synthetic materials into biological
structures and vice versa (Roco and
Bainbridge 2002).

(From the above link)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #5502535

I've been aware of the term... there's even NanoSolar... but I don't know enough to have an opinion except I don't like anyone messing with my food. Our bodies, given good nutrition, function in a wonderfully cooperative internal world. Creating particles that pass, for example, the cell walls where they were not designed by the Creator to do so... does not sit well with me.

I got the same newsletter and set it aside until I have time to study and digest it.
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2008
7:27 PM

Post #5503747

Yes, Darius, I find it takes some time to figure this out. I can't seem to find a short, concise explanation, and I'm not one for reading in-depth stuff on the computer to begin with.

I just always wonder what makes people think of this stuff in the first place, you know? What makes them want to do this to our food? I guess I'm too simple of a person to understand the motivation.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #5531533

We are Borg. Resistance if futile. You will be assimilated.

Don't the Borg assimilate their captives by injecting them with nanotechnology?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #5531674

Maybe a Trekkie will come along and explain?
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2008
5:47 AM

Post #5532591

Here is a link to the Wiki entry on the Borg (cyborg race from Star Trek series).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_(Star_Trek)
Note the reference to nanoprobes:
Quoting:In Star Trek: First Contact, the method of adult assimilation is depicted with the more efficient injection of nanoprobes into the individual's bloodstream through a pair of tubules that spring forth from the drone's hand. Assimilation by nanoprobe is depicted on-screen as being a fast-acting process, with the victim's skin pigmentation turning grey with visible dark tracks forming within moments of contact where presumably blood vessels once existed. Within hours the victim is converted into a more or less complete drone. Because assimilation depends on nanoprobes, species with an extremely advanced immune system such as Species 8472 are able to reject assimilation.

Borg nanoprobes, each about the size of a human red blood cell (RBC), travel through the victim's bloodstream and latch onto individual cells. The nanoprobes rewrite the cellular DNA, altering the victim's biochemistry, and eventually form larger, more complicated structures and networks within the body such as electrical pathways, processing and data storage nodes, and ultimately prosthetic devices that spring forth from the skin. In "Mortal Coil", Seven of Nine states that the Borg assimilated the nanoprobe technology from "Species 149".

The capability of nanoprobes to absorb improved technologies they encounter into the Borg collective is demonstrated in the Voyager episode "Drone", where Seven of Nine's nanoprobes are fused with the Doctor's futuristic mobile emitter, creating a 29th century drone with capabilities far surpassing that of current drones. Fortunately for Voyager, this drone's enhanced capabilities are not disseminated throughout the collective; the drone, in fact, sacrificed itself to save Voyager's crew.

Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

September 10, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #5534216

This is all very interesting - and scary. As a person with a medical background and having celiac disease I am well aware of the consequences of substances (nano-small or otherwise) passing through cell walls when those cell walls were not designed to allow such passage. I thought we (globally) were finally getting to the point of realizing that nature needs to be respected and heeded. I am going to increase the size of my vegetable garden immediately. Has anyone read The Omnivore's Dilemma?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2008
5:18 PM

Post #5534301

Here's a link to some articles about nanotechnology...
http://www.organicconsumers.org/nanotech.cfm
Shellsort
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2008
12:18 AM

Post #5569753

A few years ago I was made aware of nanotechnology being used in sunscreen. I read about concerns regarding the chemicals being able to pass thru cell walls. I became concerned because the companies that use the nanotechnology were not(and as far as i know still are not) required to put that information on the label. Out of curiosity I started calling the 1-800 numbers to (politely) inquire about the use of nanotechnology. It seems the common consensus was that beacuse there was no evidence of negative side effects the companies felt there was no need for concern. My complaint was that no real testing had be done to determine side effects if any. Apparently companies have the mentality that it is more profitable to rush something to the market and risk potential negative consequences. When i asked why they had not done testing to ensure there product was safe i was told that it was the responsibility of the FDA to determine such things. I couldn't believe what i was hearing. It was a complete lack of responsibility. Basically we are unpaid Guinea pigs... as a matter of fact we are paying to be their test subjects.
I know it is alot of work... but ever since that experience i have put forth considerable effort to inquire about products i use. I find that the majority of companies will divulge information regarding their use of nanotechnology. It is usually followed by a speech about how great it blends with the skin, how it makes the product softer, etc. We must always keep in mind that the companies goal is to make money... unfortunately, sometimes, it is at the expense of the consumer. With any luck i won't be a part of the statics about the ill effects (if any) of nanotechnology.
On a side note (some what related) i recommend a book called Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. One of my favorite parts is a discussion of the law of life. Basically stating that there are rules to nature (as well as all aspects of existence) and violating those rules causes consequences. I am not suggesting that we limit progress... i just feel that we need to do so within the limitations of the "law of life". Patience in such matters truly is a virtue.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2008
12:22 AM

Post #5569765

I loved Ishmael...and it's time to read it again!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2008
12:29 AM

Post #5569793

Shellsort - a most excellent retort on this subject, Thank you.
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #5569919

Shellsort, from a completely selfish point of view on my part, lol, have you ever considered having some sort of internet site with the results your inquiries, and which products have what, etc.?

It would be a great resource. And perhaps encourage others to contact companies to let their views on this be known.

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2008
1:10 AM

Post #5569955

Companies, are the problem. Actually, money is the problem.

We all need to eat, so we all need to work. even if our only "job" were to produce the food that we consume, there would be the additional mandatory insurance on our cars etc.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

September 19, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #5570280

Shellsort - violating the laws of life and nature is not progress so no one should accuse you of wanting to limit progress. Good for you for taking the trouble to check out the products you use. I am guilty of being too lazy to so that!
Hemental
Waynesboro, MS
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2008
1:03 PM

Post #5571410

Have you noticed that most every food container or over the counter medications are labeled "distributed by"
No were is it stated were it is produced.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

September 19, 2008
4:02 PM

Post #5572263

If you have celiac disease like I do you have to research medications and now those foam-like to go food containers are being made with wheat. I do wonder where all those meds are produced.
Shellsort
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #5572408

DiggerDee what a great idea... links soon to come :)
Shellsort
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #5572437

Google has a couple of good ones...
http://www.nanotechproject.org/inventories/consumer/browse/products/
http://www.nanoshop.com/

Most are promoting the product but at least the information is there.

Here is a guide to which sunscreens contain nanotech and which ones to do not...looks like some one beat me to it. :)

http://www.foe.org/nano_sunscreens_guide/Nano_Sunscreens.pdf
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2008
5:09 AM

Post #5583480

You may want to consult the Environmental Working Groups Skin Deep cosmetics database site:

Skin Deep main site
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php?nothanks=1

Sunscreens
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/sunscreens2008/
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2008
5:50 PM

Post #5585373

Thanks for all those links!
makcounter
Abbotsford
Canada

February 13, 2013
9:07 PM

Post #9418451

Drones are a big threat to growers privacy. There are several gears available to avoid them.

gloria125
Greensboro, AL

April 26, 2013
12:43 PM

Post #9498115

I couldn't find the article from the original link. With regard to genetic manipulation I think so far it has a bad record as practiced by Monsanto et al. However, I can see that many people are facing shortened and low quality lives because of defective genes. I can see that they might want their genes tweeked, or altered so that their children don't face the same genetic diseases that themselves had. In the past, people with defective genes were mostly advised not to have children. Genetic modification could help them get around that conundrum if the see it as such.

On the other hand, the more we learn about ordinary nutrients, we learn that genes are not set was we thought they were just a few years ago. A person living a healthy life can alter his own genetic heritage without nanobiobiotechnological intervention.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America