Flea & Tick Stuff

Hillsboro, NH

Hi All,
I'm looking to see what everyone uses for a flea & tick stuff for cats. This has to be OTC stuff. I really don't want to go to the vet for it. What do you give your cat/cats? I'm going to the store tonight to get something for Bandee and Roman. They need it before coming into the house and I want them in soon with the rain that we have coming for this weekend. Please help?
(I had mentioned here that it had to be OTC stuff. We can't exactly afford stuff like frontline. Sorry. Please, if you want to give me heck about something, please save it. I'm new here and I really don't need the stress ontop of other things.)

This message was edited Sep 4, 2008 10:29 AM

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I can't speak for the ones for cats, but there are some horror stories out there about some of the OTC things out there like Hartz brand for dogs. If the same thing holds true for cats, you're better off with the things like Frontline that you can get at the vet. But at least out here you can get those at Petco/Petsmart too, they just typically have them locked up so you have to ask the cashier to get it for you rather than just grabbing them off the shelf.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

You can also buy Frontline and Advantage on eBay, you just run a risk of it being "expired". Check the vendor's feedback very carefully before you order.

Seminole, OK(Zone 7a)

I prefer to just use a flea comb and pick them off. I had a cat I nearly killed because he was allergic to the flea poison I put on him. It made me scared to use anything so now everyday I run the flea comb over my animals instead of using poison. Of course, it takes time everyday to do this. I put poison on my yard to control the fleas and ticks.
I would like to know of a product that works that isn't too strong.

Matewan, WV(Zone 6b)

PLEASE, before you buy ANY of the over the counter flea control, read the thread I started last week asking if anyone thought that OTC flea stuff could cause seizures in cats.

I'm now convinced that is what caused my cat to seizure once a month when I would put Hartz liquid (on the back of the neck) of my cat. It's a wonder that I didn't kill him....

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/896653/

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Many of the pet stores in my area sell Frontline and Advantage, it is pricier than at my vet, but it is available. You should be able to get some from your vet without an appointment, I would think. I just call them when I need more, to make sure they have enough in stock, and stop by and pick it up.

Deb

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

If you can buy Advantage or Frontline at your local pet store, those are the safe and effective products to use. They can also be purchased widely over the internet, and your vet will also have them.

I would never dare risk buying any other type or brand of flea product from any retail store, including spot-ons, collars, shampoos, dips, powders, etc. Waaaaay too many of them are highly toxic and have been implicated in the illnesses and deaths of many cats and dogs.

I don't know why you're adverse to buying safe flea products from your vet, but if you end up poisoning your cats with toxic storebought flea products, you're going to end up spending a bundle at your vet's, anyway, trying to save their lives.

Laurie

I bought a package of Frontline through eBay that included one dose for a large dog, an insulin syringe (No needle) and a small vial. The vendor calculated the dose for a cat and it is 1/8 th of the big dog dose - .5 ml. For about $22 I have enough Frontline for 8 doses for my clowder. I was at the vet on Saturday and told him what I had done and he didn't say anything negative - just asked how I knew the dosage. The vendor did state that the dog dose is missing one of the durgs that the cat dose has - but that it should still work. Well - I gave the cats a dose and Sampson still has some fleas; my other guys may have some - but I haven't seen any on them.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I didn't think you were supposed to use the Frontline for dogs on cats.

If you go to their website, there is a coupon for a free month when you buy 6. My vet already offers this, without the coupon. http://frontline.us.merial.com/offers/offers_coupon.asp

Deb

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The active ingredient in the cat and dog Frontline products are the same (fipronil in the plain version and fipronil and S-methoprene in the Frontline Plus), so as long as you adjust the amount to be correct for the cat it should be fine. There was another flea product several years ago (or maybe still is) where the dog version was very harmful to cats. I don't remember the brand but if I remember correctly the active ingredient was/is permethrin.

Hillsboro, NH

Well I bought Sargeants Silver for the cats. I just got finished putting it on them. I will wait and see what happens. One thing I won't use again is the sargeants Nature's guardian. That stuff is crap. Plus you need to put it on them outside because of the herbal scent.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Sergeant's and Hartz products are not only risky, but USELESS. They have been around for over 40 years and didn't work then, and still don't work now. They hardly sold back when I was just becoming a vet 20 years ago since they had such a horrible reputation and everyone knew better not to use them... but when Advantage and Frontline got on the market and we finally had two products that WORKED, were NONTOXIC to dogs and cats and did not get absorbed into a pet's system (unlike these Hartz and Sergeant's products), I thought this would surely be the nail in the coffin of those other worthless and dangerous products. No such luck. In fact, the exact opposite happened. Hartz and Sergeants products have never had such popularity thanks to Advantage and Frontline coming out in a very similar spot-on type format. Now most of the lay public can't tell all these products apart, and that is just what those other companies were hoping for (and reaping the huge profits, too, for worthless and dangerous products). Sigh. If you insist on using potentially toxic products on your pets, at least follow the directions closely (I have seen so many dying cats and small dogs from excess or incorect flea products applied to them I feel like screaming sometimes- people use these products despite the warnings all over the packets... it never ceases to amaze and disappoint me). I couldn't care less if you get your products bootleg or legally, just get the safe and effective ones. There really is no expiration date on Frontline and Advantage so that shouldn't be an issue.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

intrigue3, in light of the toxicity issue with Sargeant's flea products posted by our resident vet, Palmbob, I sincerely hope that you will IMMEDIATELY bathe the product off of your cats very thoroughly BEFORE they have a toxic reaction. If you wait until symptoms of toxicity present in your cats, it may be too late to save them.

Laurie

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Yes, please take it off. There have been others in this forum whose cats have had seizures from that stuff. It's a bad idea.

Matewan, WV(Zone 6b)

Palmbob,

I was looking on ebay today for the Frontline for cats and I noticed most of them were made for dogs but were being sold to cat owner, just gave directions how to give a smaller dosage for a cat....is this acceptable to do this for a cat?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

the product is indeed exactly the same for dogs and cats. You can apply any amount of Frontline you want, though you will waste product if you put too much on (but it will not hurt your cat). It will not last longer either the more you put on. And if you put an excessive amount on your cat, you will probably annoy it, and it will be more likely to over groom and take most of the product off that way. So try to approximate the correct volume.

Matewan, WV(Zone 6b)

Thank you Palmbob for your expert advice. Did you get a chance to view the link I posted above in this thread about my cat having seizures? If not, at your convience would you read it and tell me what you think?

Hillsboro, NH

I realize you all want to give me all holy heck for getting that. When you don't have other options, there's not a whole lot you can do. Our vet keeps weird hours. And we only have one means of transportation. Usually by time hubby gets home, most places that are good to buy from are closed. So when you don't have other options, you go with what you can. My neighbor's brother is a vet, so I'm sure if I get something that would kill my cat, we would know about it. I only put the stuff behind the neck so that it wouldn't go into the face or other areas. This way the cat doesn't lick, eat or get it on their paws. I will try to do better in the future. Sorry.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Didn't believe me when I told you that in Coffee, huh? I hope this has convinced you better than I did.

intrigue3 - I buy most things on the internet and have the post office just deliver to my door - makes my life easier. I got the frontline in two days when I ordered it.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've found the prices online for Frontline are often better than if you go to the vet or pet store for it, so you may save money as well as it being less trouble for you to get it. But if you can't do that either, honestly I'd skip the flea medication totally rather than use one of those other products. (And it doesn't matter where you applied it, those products get absorbed through the skin which is part of what contributes to them being so potentially harmful)

Hillsboro, NH

At the moment both cats seem to be doing ok. And giving them a bath would be majoirly out of the question unless I want to be clawed to death.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I hope your cats survive the "treatment" you gave them and suffer no long term neurological effects from it. Honestly, I can't understand why you would post for help and then completely ignore the wise advice given and turn around and knowingly do something that could harm your cats. You DO have options:

1) Have your vet mail appropriate flea products to you.

2) Order appropriate products from catalogs or online.

3) NOT put toxic chemicals on your cats after having been advised of the danger.

You simply made another choice.

Laurie

Hillsboro, NH

It doesn't mean that you have to get mad. I made a mistake. Haven't we all? Could you not give me heck for it? Sorry for pissing you off.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

My concern is not with you; it is with your cats. I continue to hope that they will be OK.

Laurie

Hugo (Vicki), OK(Zone 7b)

Check out the organic guy www.dirtdoctor.com
Look under library and click on F for fleas.
Also flea repellant for pets. Organic mixture to put on cloth collars for pets. I ordered my essential oils from www.essentialoil.com
Also give my dogs garlic gel caps every day. It's working
Tells you what to shampoo your dogs/cats with. additives to food etc.
Lots of wonderful information on that site if you want to go organic in gardening etc.
Hope this will help you.'
Vicki

Hillsboro, NH

What I used before on my cats was the Sargeants Nature's Guardian. Sure the stuff smelled when you put it on. It kept the bugs away but it also powdered up on my cat. My cat still survived. So I'm figruing the Sargeants Silver won't kill my cat. She seems to be doing just fine as well as the other cat. I can't afford 40.00 for the other stuff. And the most places I checked out were 40.00 and down to 30.00. We have a hard enough time making ends meet at the moment with only hubby working. What little bit of money that comes in from me isn't much. Otherwise yes, I would be buying it. It's bad enough the last time we took our dog to the vet cost us just under 150.00. When we saw that we about flipped. Thank goodness it only happens once a year.

Hillsboro, NH

Thanks vhanna, I will check that out. I appreciate it.

Well after looking, my vet and the vet my neighbor uses don't get that stuff.

This message was edited Sep 4, 2008 11:01 AM

Blythewood, SC

I have had very good results for years buying Frontline and Heartgard on line from Pets Mega Store in Australia , there prices are good and Robert will talk to you on the phone or e-mail you. I haven't seen a flie or tick on my dogs in years. They also have cat supplies. Pat

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

I went to the vets office the other day to purchase my regular frontline plus for the kitties and the receptionist talked me into Revolution. I put it on the cats and they are okay, but does it take care of the fleas as well as frontline? I sure hope so, it cost more. Three doses for 55 dollars. Anyone had any experience with it????? Laverne

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think it costs more because it has heartworm medicine in it too. I've never tried it though so I don't know how well it works.

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

She told me that it took care of ear mites, too.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Revolution works equally well against fleas as does Frontline and Advantage... BUT... it takes 2-3x as long for the fleas to actually die (4-5 days). Still, all the fleas die... you just have to put up with them longer. This product works differently than the other two... it does get absorbed into the blood stream, while the other two stay on the surface of the skin only. That is how this one kills heartworm larvae. It is very effective against ear mites, but then ear mites are very easy to get rid of with lots of different products.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Ask your vet to sell it to you by the vial..(Frontline or Advantage)..Mine does.. Makes it easier on the pocketbook, $$...I have 10 cats but buy in bulk anyway, but my vet will sell one vial at the time, instead of the package of three. Sure helps...For cats, Fronline is only $13.00 per vial.

Larkie

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Thanks, everyone, for the information----think I'll stick with Frontline after this is gone.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Am just getting off a shift at the emergency clinic now... and had two maltese that the owner used, of all things, the Sargeant's flea product. Both where on 'pins and needles' and had to be given medications for inflammation and vomiting even after the owner tried to bathe off the product 3-4x. Wish that stufff would get taken off the shelves!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't understand why those products haven't been pulled from the shelves, there are so many horror stories out there about them. If it was a drug for humans I'm sure it would have been recalled a long time ago!

Hillsboro, NH

You know, I keep seeing you all down stuff. The cats are still very much around. They are not having any problems. Maybe it';s the way some people put it on the animals. All I know is both cats are doing just fine. So with that said, this will be my last post here.

Matewan, WV(Zone 6b)

Palmbob,

Not sure if you saw the message that I posted above for you. Maybe you've just been very busy. I'll copy it here.....

=================================================

Thank you Palmbob for your expert advice. Did you get a chance to view the link I posted above in this thread about my cat having seizures? If not, at your convience would you read it and tell me what you think?

[HYPERLINK@davesgarden.com]

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

Quoting:
You know, I keep seeing you all down stuff. The cats are still very much around. They are not having any problems. Maybe it';s the way some people put it on the animals. All I know is both cats are doing just fine. So with that said, this will be my last post here.

I don't have any furry pets and read this thread for other reasons but I have to say this. I once knew a man who smoked from the time he was 9 till he died at age 91, I sure wouldn't smoke or tell my kids to smoke because "Look, it didn't hurt him."

There is a LOT of research out there that backs the claims on this thread. There are reasons these people, including a VET, are making the remarks they are making.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.