Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Fragrant Gardening: Grape jasmine anything but

Communities > Forums > Fragrant Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Fragrant GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 67
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kalpavriksha
Sarasota, FL

September 3, 2008
3:09 PM

Post #5502687

That time of year again. The "Grape Jasmine" has a few fruits on it. I don't see the connection. Mine are and always have been (4 past 3 yrs) a "Pea Jasmine" of small fruits.
I like it ok; the stems are small and twine by themselves. It's a good jasmine for chain link fences.
There's just two almost negative things about it. First, like many jasmines it wants to climb to the top of whatever it's growing on (like it's reaching for the top of a tree to break into sunlight); 2nd is that it seems to send out straight runners along the ground. Those have to be redirected back to the fence (better than the only choices being trimming it all to the ground or re-twining the higher vines back down the fence to keep it full.)

Thumbnail by Kalpavriksha
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #5508257

How's the scent of the blooms?
Kalpavriksha
Sarasota, FL

September 11, 2008
9:04 PM

Post #5539775

They're rather lightly scented. Not the strong fragrance as from J. sambac, J. grandiflorum, or J. molle. Best part is, it does well on a chain link fence. The leaves and especially the vine stem parts are very small. It could easily stay flat on a chain link fence. I still have to train the higher parts downwards. Most true jasmine vines I've grown act like they want to climb to the top of a tree!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2008
3:17 AM

Post #5541090

Oh to be able to find J. Molle...without getting a second mortgage...LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Fragrant Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Are there any easy Gardenias? Heavinscent 56 Jan 25, 2012 8:53 PM
Your most fragrant plants by ranking Heavinscent 201 Aug 28, 2008 11:34 PM
Most Fragrant Petunias... zville123 41 Jul 31, 2014 3:55 PM
Fragrant Iris List violabird 8 Jan 19, 2008 3:38 PM
Michelia alba lovetropics 77 Sep 22, 2008 5:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America