Photo by Melody

Article: Some Like It Hotter! Making Caribbean Style Hot Sauce from Heaps of Habaneros: Hot, hot, hotter!

Communities > Forums > Article: Some Like It Hotter! Making Caribbean Style Hot Sauce from Heaps of Habaneros
bookmark
Forum: Article: Some Like It Hotter! Making Caribbean Style Hot Sauce from Heaps of HabanerosReplies: 6, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
p1mkw
Danville, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2008
2:34 PM

Post #5507125

Thanks so much, Critter, for your recent articles with the recipes. I'm looking forward to next year and plan to grow some of the hotter peppers. I just received seeds for the datil pepper, which according to some are even hotter than habaneros. I plan to get in on the HPS co-op as well so I should be making good use of these recipes. Thanks again!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #5507300

You're welcome! I hope you have fun with the hot sauce recipes. Don't be afraid to experiment... taste and see what you think it needs to "finish" the flavor. :-)
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2008
4:41 PM

Post #5507720

Make sure you wear thick gloves!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2008
5:17 PM

Post #5507882

No kidding! As I said in the article, if I'm wearing latex gloves, I put on 2 pairs. I like those blue "nitrile" gloves better -- nothing gets through (so far). If you're wearing a single set of gloves, stop the moment you feel any discomfort -- wash (put straight dish soap on, or dish soap mixed with baking soda to help neutralize it, or use a bleach solution), then put on a new set of gloves.
p1mkw
Danville, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2008
6:06 PM

Post #5508021

Oh yes, I always wear gloves when handling hot peppers. Even the mildly hot ones can cause severe pain when trying to change contact lens (don't ask how I know). And I think the suggestion about turning on the vent fan above the stove to handle the fumes is a great idea. I encountered some pretty strong fumes from jalapenos, so I can only imagine what it would be like with the habaneros and other 'super hot' peppers. Right now I have only the basic latex gloves, so I think I'll invest in some of the blue nitrile as critter suggested. You're just full of great information, critter. Thanks again.

Mary K.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #5508094

contact lenses and hot peppers... *shudder* Yes, do get some good gloves! :-) Sometimes they're in the paint department. Home Depot keeps moving them around on me.

It seemed odd to be including all these safety warnings in a food article, LOL... but I have a lot of respect for the "hot" in hot peppers!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2008
8:07 PM

Post #5508369

Yes, but they're oooo so tasty! Very useful for clearing the sinuses, too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Some Like It Hotter! Making Caribbean Style Hot Sauce from Heaps of Habaneros Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Running for the fire extinguisher!! KyWoods 5 Sep 4, 2008 2:33 PM
I like this! 4paws 4 Sep 4, 2008 7:55 PM
I like this also as I have lots LavinaMae 3 Sep 4, 2008 5:56 PM
recipe flowAjen 2 Sep 9, 2008 1:59 AM
When I worked at a vegetarian restaurant Bookerc1 1 Sep 8, 2008 9:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America