Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Mystery plant with yellow berries

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 12, Views: 207
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
froglady13
Manvel, TX

September 4, 2008
2:53 PM

Post #5507220

Does anyone recognize this small bush/tree (4-5')? Has very tiny white flowers earlier in the year and then is loaded with yellow-orange fruits (berries?) that cardinals and mockingbirds love. Fruits are full of seeds & seedlings come up readily. Bought at a plant sale and labeled "ornamental orange" but don't think that's what it is. I have duranta with gold berries and it's not that.

Thumbnail by froglady13
Click the image for an enlarged view.

plantpro53
Wills Point, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2008
8:34 PM

Post #5508464

Hard to tell for sure; need better picture of leaves. I think, maybe, a variety of Kumquat (Fortunella).
FozzyB
Churchill
Australia

September 4, 2008
10:27 PM

Post #5508890

Ditto to Kumquat...
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2008
6:52 AM

Post #5510452

The blurry photo makes it difficult to tell, but the fruit looks too smooth to be a kumquat. The leaves are too big and the cluster of fruit too large. Have you cut any of the fruit in half? Does the inside look like a citrus fruit?
froglady13
Manvel, TX

September 5, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #5513439

I'm familiar with kumquats and, having eaten quite a few, I'm pretty sure that's not what this is. Fruits are only 1/2" diameter. I've attached another picture with one berry sliced to show tiny seeds. These readily produce new plants just from dropping on the ground. The bush is about 5' tall, not very dense but well shaped, and loaded with these fruits which are preceded by tiny white flowers. There's no citrus odor to the fruit or to the shiny, dark green leaves.
Still a mystery... Maybe I'll just call it a Cardinal Candy Bush as they really love the fruits.

Thumbnail by froglady13
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2008
11:53 PM

Post #5513490

Solanum of some sort. Maybe S. capsicastrum or S. pseudocapsicum, though the leaves look a little on the large side for them.

Resin

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #5513536

some kind of nightshade i think (solanum family)
froglady13
Manvel, TX

September 6, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #5516049

I appreciate the responses but, after researching pics and info on nightshade, that isn't what it is either. The base on this bush is about 2" in diameter and hard (wood). It grows fast and could be it's going to get much taller than 5' so maybe it's a small tree. The flowers are tiny and white (maybe 1/4" - star shaped - 5 petals).

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2008
4:05 PM

Post #5516121

maybe some kind of Murraya then? mine (paniculata) gets red berries, oblong not round, but it has fragrant white flowers and is woody.
Kalpavriksha
Sarasota, FL

September 6, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #5516651

No! This is a wild Jerusalem cherry, a Solanum species. It's poisonous! The leaves have the scent of peanuts.
Pull it out! Children are attracted to the poisonous fruits. Birds eat and spread these.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2008
7:12 PM

Post #5516803

if you like it and the children can be taught not to mess with it, keep it if you like it. there are so many poisonous plants that it would be folly to try and eradicate all of them. it's like snakes or anything else, just be mindful.
froglady13
Manvel, TX

September 6, 2008
9:01 PM

Post #5517253

Positively identified as Solanum diphyllum. Thanks to those who pointed me in that direction. Found it on a different site but also found mention of it here on Dave's Garden (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/96741/).
Now I have a couple of things to consider about the plant...
#1 - Poisonous - So are a lot of other plants very common in homes and yards, everything from ficus to wisteria to poinsettia. Best to teach kids not to pick or eat any plant part whether at home or on a walk in the park. There are poisonous plants and other dangerous items that children need to be warned to avoid no matter where they are.
#2 - Invasive - Somewhat more of a concern since this does seem to be a fairly prolific plant. I'll be pulling most of the seedlings that have come up and just keeping the original plant.
It's quite pretty and, as I mentioned, I love watching the cardinals eat the berries (yes, I know the birds can spread seeds).
Again, thanks. I just joined this forum, posted my first question, and got such quick results.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2008
9:12 PM

Post #5517289

welcome!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America