Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: How to tell if lima beans ready to pick

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sawpalm
Winston Salem, NC

September 4, 2008
11:48 PM

Post #5509141

When do you pick lima beans?. I have lots of pods that are very slim, some with beans forming and some dried up. But it seems too hard to pick the medium ones and they are white not green with only a few beans Lima beans are supposed to be green , right? Also, I have lots of leaves but not too many beans. Do I need to add some fertilizer? What? Thanks!
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2008
12:03 AM

Post #5509205

For green shell, they are picked when the beans reach full size. They come in all colors from white to black, depending on cultivar. The green seeded cultivars, Green Seeded Henderson, Cangreen, Thorogreen will only have a faint green tint when green, Of course if you like them dry, just let the pods dry on the vine.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sawpalm
Winston Salem, NC

September 5, 2008
7:26 PM

Post #5512601

Thanks. Mine have lots of leaves and too few beans. How do you fertilize yours? They look great.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2008
8:05 PM

Post #5512732

They are not heavy feeders but like a well limed soil ( pH of 6.5 -7.5). I plant without fertilization and sidedress at first cultivation with 5-10-15 at 200 lbs per acre. I don't have big vines but they yield well most of the time.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America