-
AuthorContent
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2008
7:11 AM

Post #5510460

I noticed that our night time temps are dropping below 50F now, and I have brought my Adeniums and Pelargoniums inside for the winter. Now I am wondering how to treat these plants to allow the appropriate rest.

Should I water as usual and wait for the plant to start to drop its leaves? Should I trigger the drop by reducing water? Or is there a 3rd way?
ashjuniper
Austin, TX

September 6, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #5513775

With Adeniums---I leave them outside in well lit sheltered locations and cut back severely on the watering as the temp drops, I cut it off completely at 40-45 F then get them into winter shelter and let them stay completely dry till spring. OK maybe I give them a very little once a month---but not always. Succulent Pelargoniums are winter growers and do fine, producing new growth, if they receive good light and have warm temps. In fact, I find they seem to do OK all year---growing and then resting occasionally.
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2008
1:32 AM

Post #5513956

Thanks for the info. Now is that a night time low of 40-45F, or ? and do you feel they handle 40F that well?
ashjuniper
Austin, TX

September 6, 2008
10:55 PM

Post #5517747

I tend to grow many of my plants a little "hard"----at 40 F you have to be really careful with the water and at this Temp I bring them in. In my opinion Adeniums are one of those slightly sensitive plants when it comes to water in the dormant season. I have carved up/cut out rotted areas on them in the spring and I think the problem is caused by water during dormancy. But you are in an extremely different climate than I am especially with regard to amount of light---cool and cloudy describes your fall and winter I believe. With the limited amount of light and warmth---you probably need to bring your plants in and restrict watering soon, if not now. But I'm sure, with your experience, you know best what they need in the fall.
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #5518063

Yep, I do need to pay more attention to the weather, but the sun has come back, and is usually good for the month of September. In October, the rain and clouds start. What I have now done is bring them in, as it is getting pretty cool at night, but since the sun is still out, I will continue to water them until it gets cloudy.

Thanks for answering my questions. Its really nice to have the help of those who have been there.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2008
1:27 PM

Post #5638801

I'm in zone 7-Appreciate the help, as we're getting in the 50's here at night.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America