Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: I Called It Jellamy: Canning: Thanks for a wonderful trip down memory

Communities > Forums > Article: I Called It Jellamy: Canning
bookmark
Forum: Article: I Called It Jellamy: CanningReplies: 9, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
epan
Califon, NJ

September 5, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #5512053

Thanks for a wonderful trip down memory lane. My mother, a city girl, learned to can our farm and local produce, but never got to jellamy, though I'm sure many of our country raised neighbors did. Also enjoyed your use of your mountain dialect.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #5512065

Thank you.
I am glad it gave you some good memories.
And the mountain dialect is still there, but usually only when I return to the mountains. Fun to remember, though.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

August 21, 2009
1:03 PM

Post #6971734

You know I love all your articles about Aunt Bett and your other family members and in this one, what I loved most was the photos of your grandmother's house. What a lovely place! Is it still in the family or even still standing?

I remember some canning and jelly making going on at my grandmother's house. I vividly remember the summer we canned peaches and had lots of peach juice left over. I thought that was the best stuff I had ever tasted. We jokingly called it peach brandy, but it was not fermented. Delicious!

My mother still cans and makes jelly and pickles, and I used to always put up some tomatoes for winter spaghetti sauce, chili and lasagne, but haven't in a long while. I don't even know where my canner is now. This will all change next year as I begin life as a retiree and that includes more self-sufficiency with a larger garden and perhaps even my own homemade bread. My errand last night was a trip to the health food store and while there, I bought a loaf of Rudi's country wheat bread. It was $3.59 for the loaf, but it looked so good. My first thought when I bought it was, `I'm going to start making my own bread again.' I love yeast bread and kneading the dough, no machines for me, thank you.

I always enjoy the trips down your memory lane, Shar, and thank you for inviting me along.

Angie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2009
1:16 PM

Post #6971769

Hello, Angie...
The house is still there, but due to declining health and age, my uncle sold it about 4 years ago. It is a beautiful house and he and I spent summers restoring it starting in '96 and continuing through 2001. We had a good time doing so, but he is a retired doctor, now in his 80's, and it was a huge house with 100 acres. And I could not have taken care of it alone.

It was one of those tough decisions in life, you know, but one we had to make.

My friend, Doug (Postmandug on DG) drives by it daily now on his way to work, so he sends me pictures occasionally. I love seeing it, and it seems to be well taken care of, but I do miss that house, or maybe I miss the memories.

But the memories, I can carry around in my heart.

Thanks for writing, it's always good to hear from you.
Sharon

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #6972516

The memories are always the hardest to let go of. I remember my Fatgranny (yes that was her name to us grandchildren!) used to sit on the front porch in a rocking chair picking at her fingernails reliving the past, mostly about her time in the mountains. I catch myself doing that exact same thing today even down to picking at my nails while I reminisce. And of course Sharon's articles always bring back a ton of those memories of the times I spent in the mountains visiting my Aunt Toots and my cousins. Playing in the creeks up the hollers, digging up pieces of moss to make a bed up on one of the hills. Climbing the mountain behind Toots' house with my Dad so he could show me the big Beech tree that he had carved his initials in when he was a little feller. The big pieces of sandstone that Papaw had cut into almost perfect rectangles using only a hammer and chisel. Yes I do love my memories. Thank you Sharon for making me get tears in my eyes today!

And yes Angie that house is still there and in great shape. I'm really disappointed you won't be able to make it to the RU next month. Would loved to have met you!

Doug
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6972567

When Angie makes it to my house, I'll bring her to visit with you, Doug. She'd fit right in! We could woo her with our mountain talk. She likes mountains, too, by the way.

The tears come when you send me pictures of Gramma Comb's house, my dear. That is a too recent memory to just smile about, you know. But I am so glad you send them. Food for my heart to see it again. Thank you.

Doug, I hope you read my article about Bears and the Beech Tree...my initials are carved all over those mountains, but I was too scared to carve them on the beech nut tree.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

August 22, 2009
1:39 AM

Post #6974429

Doug and Shar: I'm just chomping at the bit to get to that RU, but this is probably not going to be the year for it. Too many personal things demanding my attention and energy, but next year, watch out! Maybe I can lose some weight by then and be a little more presentable and in a much more peaceful mood. Also, it gives me some extra time to try to dredge up a talent for the get-together. Y'all just know I'm counting the days til I can get there, whether it's next year's RU or sometime before then.

Hugs,

Angie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #6974672

You will be here Angie, one day you will be here.
That I know.

Remember: wise but no longer lovely!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #6974871

Yep, Angie, we just know you will make it eventually but that you will be with us in spirit this year.

Sharon, this article brought back more memories than I can possibly tell you. All of them were good. My mother used to can anything that she could tie down and enter the beautiful jars in the Mid-south fair in Memphis. She won more blue ribbons than you could ever imagine. I followed in her footsteps as for the canning but never had time to enter them or make them as fancy as she did. I finally realized that my passion for making the jellies, jams, preserves, etc. was a bit lopsided because we always had so many full jars left over at the end of the season. That didn't stop me from doing it again and again year after year however. You can't imagine how much I dumped over time. It finally dawned on me that my desire to can all the wonderful sweet stuff was a bit silly because we ate very few sweets at our house. Ah, the wisdom gained from experience, huh?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2009
4:50 AM

Post #6974936

I think that's the only kind of wisdom there is, Elena, that gained from experience. Takes awhile, too.

Fun story about your canning, canning, canning...my grandmother did the same, and even years after she was gone, her canned green beans remained.

Thanks for writing. It's always good to hear from you.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: I Called It Jellamy: Canning Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
:-) 4paws 6 Aug 23, 2009 2:23 AM
You make me smile..... imapigeon 3 Aug 31, 2008 4:42 PM
Good phicks 1 Aug 31, 2008 8:35 PM
Great memories Shar! heavenscape 1 Aug 31, 2008 11:53 PM
Jellamy Aunt_A 3 Sep 1, 2008 10:49 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America